PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Outing

Fredo
03-17-2008, 12:51 AM
Not offroading, but thought I would share. Turns out the only flying B24J in the world, joined by one of the few flying B17's, along with a B25 and p51 are in Dallas at Love field for the week. Luckily saturday when we were working on stuff in Murphy, the P47 Thunderbolt from the Air Museum in Addison flew over the house and I remembered this was going on. So, Jimmy, My parents, Jason Kelly and His wife Melissa, and I all went out to check them out today. An awesome experience to say the least. I did not expect access to the interiors or even as close as we were able to get, but we got to check out everything and even see them fly. Badass to say the least. If you were willing to throw down $425, you got to ride in any one of them. Tempting, but I couldn't justify it.

These plans are from www.collingsfoundation.org and are on a national tour. After Dallas I think they are supposed to be in Tyler. If you're traveling to Dallas for Easter they will still be at Love field. I'd probably go again just to get to look around the inside more. There is so much **** going on inside those bombers. Definitely a marvel of engineering.

Here's a link to the pictures I took.
http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x283/fredo_92/bombers/

8 o'clock high!
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x283/fredo_92/bombers/theresaduck.jpg

Jackasic
03-17-2008, 06:25 AM
very cool, there were some bombers flying around the woodlands Saturday.

agjohn02
03-17-2008, 08:29 AM
they were here last year. minus the p51. i watched them giving rides over cs all week and wishing i had a few hundred to invest. cool, ive never seen a flying p51c before.

Fredo
03-17-2008, 09:49 AM
Yeah, when I saw it, I thought it was the one from the Cavanaugh Air Museum in Addison that came over to visit, but turns out the one they have is a D model. Yeah, it was pretty cool to see and it sounded beautiful climbing away from the end of the runway. Would love to have seen it do a highspeed flyby, but I doubt they get to do stuff like that.

BMFScout
03-17-2008, 10:25 AM
$425 is a bit steep. For another hondo I can get a pair of season tickets to Aggie Football. Half that, I might have seriously considered it. It was still badass crawling around in the plane. I wish my grandpa was still around to crawl through that B24 with us, I'm sure he would have had a story or two.

agjohn02
03-17-2008, 10:28 AM
yeah, the other charitable organizations that offer rides in a B24, B17, or P51 arent nearly that high...:flipoff2:

they gotta pay for Phantom engines somehow.

BMFScout
03-17-2008, 10:36 AM
I understand, it's just a lot of money. It is tax deductable.....

DRAGOONRANCH
03-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Season tickets are too, so I have heard...

JeepPhisherman
03-17-2008, 11:15 AM
Season tickets are too, so I have heard...

The $500 donation they want per seat sure as hell is.

Fredo
03-17-2008, 04:38 PM
By the way, looks like they are going to Tyler, Tx before heading down to Houston. They will be in Houston at two different airports 3/26 through 3/31 then over in Victoria 3/31 through 4/2. Just fyi if no one had looked at the schedule. This is definitely worth checking out if you are even remotely interested in seeing one of these up close.

Graystroke
03-17-2008, 05:40 PM
did the B-17 have any studebaker engines

JeepPhisherman
03-18-2008, 08:44 AM
By the way, looks like they are going to Tyler, Tx before heading down to Houston. They will be in Houston at two different airports 3/26 through 3/31 then over in Victoria 3/31 through 4/2. Just fyi if no one had looked at the schedule. This is definitely worth checking out if you are even remotely interested in seeing one of these up close.

You forgot Austin *******!

If I've got some free time, I'll go check it out when it's at Bergstrom. Looks interesting. I wonder if it's the same B-17 I saw about 15 years back in NC? I think I've still got my little button somewhere with a picture of it that played the Army Air Corps song.

Fredo
07-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Found this while checking out leno's site. Pretty cool website if you've got some time to kill.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/video_player.shtml?vid=267688