PDA

View Full Version : Project: Road Warrior

Seth
05-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Havent really come up with a clever name for this one, Jimmy, BDR, or anyone else with a clever idea feel free to chime in. All I could think of was Mad Max or Wrestling related names, too obscure for anyone to get it.

Backstory first I guess. The truck was my brother-in-law's until last summer, when he "sold" it to my uncle after getting a half ton gas navy blue version of Jerry's truck to carry my nephew a little more safely and dependably. (the story on why he got a long bed is for another time) He fixed it up thinking he was keeping it and put 4 new tires and shocks on it, had the ball joints replaced and a few other minor things I can't think of right now.

Well, my uncle heard about how much I am driving (3k+ a month) and knew my truck isn't exactly the best truck in the world for the job. He had inherited a car (Caddy) from his father in law and can't afford all the expenses involved with an extra vehicle, though he did like having it around for projects. He offered to sell me the truck. After some figuring between he, my sister and I, he offered it to me for 750 bucks. I couldn't pass.

What it is: 1998 GMC Sierra, 158k, maroon/grey, Reg Cab, Short Bed. 4.3 V6 (not vortec right flem?) 5 speed. It's got some eagle alloys that I can live with and stock size mild all terrains (goodyear I think). Plastic Bedliner, aluminum bed caps and some 4 foot square piece of really thick rubber in the bed that is actually kinda sweet, once I figure out a good use for it. Recieve hitch that looks way too heavy duty for what the truck can handle. SLE model so it has cloth seat, carpet, tilt and cruise, and that is about it. It has an awful aftermarket stereo. Think analog tuner.

Well, I arranged for my Dad to meet up with my uncle this past weekend in Tyler on his way to Dallas bc my uncle was there. That saved me a trip anywhere in LA to pick it up. That in itself was easier said than done as my Dad is no longer an in law to that Uncle (divorce). All went off without a hitch though and my Dad brought it on into Dallas.

First thing he says to me "You got some work to do!" My uncle is notoriously hard on vehicles so I figured he was just talking about cleaning etc. Turns out though that the truck certainly has some issues.

First thing is the clutch, it's tight, but won't engage (disengage?) I am hoping that a good bleed of the system will fix this. My brother in law swore it was one assembly with no seperate companents so I am guessing he never bled it. The bottle of PS fluid under the hood is the only thing that owrries me. I don't know if it went in the Clutch MC or the PS resevoir. Anyone know what the effects would be? I know Brake Fluid is pretty caustic so I am hoping the seals could hold up to the PS fluid and it just not function well.

Second, the winshield wipers dont work. I am hoping it is just the board on the motor that is 30 bucks. You can hear it clicking like the switch is sending power to it.

My uncle did something that fixed an issue with the taillights, not sure what that was.

Other than that there are just alot of little things that I would like to address, mostly annoying things. Hood latch and Ebrake release handles. Detail inside and out. Tunes. Headlight out, needs new wipers, oil change. I am considering Synthetic after I see how much it leaks/burns. Tweaked bumper, can't tell except it is pushing a piece of trim up. Front valance gone, rear bumper trim gone.

The only things I want to do to this are things that will make it more comfortable or get better MPG. I am hoping for 20-25. Soundproofing, Stereo, Intake/exhaust (nothing loud), good tune up, synthetics, e-fan?, electronics?, upgrade headlights, different seat (stock bucket) if I come across one for the right price. Also I wouldnt mind some storage in the bed, maybe a hard side rough tote, trying to get weather proof for cheap. It would be more for bags in the rain than tools. These are the kinds of things I have thought of. Any advice or experience here will be appreciated.
I have looked briefly for any communities for the truck/motor, seems like I find guys hopping up S10's mostly.

Sharpe -when you replaced you actual headlight bulbs do you really think it made them better, or is it more cosmetic?

I will get pics up when I get the truck here in a couple of weeks. I am going home for a wedding and am planning on driving it back after riding there with someone else.

Seth
05-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Wow, that's pretty long, hope ya'll make it far enough in that I don't miss any good ideas/advice.

Sharpe
05-07-2008, 05:39 PM
That should be a Vortec with a NV3500 behind it. I only replaced the housings, still running the bulbs that came with the truck. If there is any difference, the stockers were slightly brighter. I just liked the look of the ones I have and they cost ~2/3 of what stockers do.

AggieTJ2007
05-07-2008, 07:52 PM
4.3 i assume

jerryg79
05-07-2008, 08:14 PM
rock auto has some cheap parts for that truck. I think i got the parking brake handle for 4 or 5 dollars, and the board for the wipers for $15-16. I broke the hood latch on mine too, as its all plastic and the cable is metal, i never replaced mine though;)

the third brake light also rotted out on mine and fried it.

Seth
05-07-2008, 08:19 PM
good stuff. the list is going to be clutch, then wipers, so that i can register and inspect it, then brake handle since its a standard, then we will see. maybe pull the seat and just clean the hell out of it since its free and it smells like he has been taking it out to there barn.

DRAGOONRANCH
05-07-2008, 10:38 PM
4.3 i assume

it says that somewhere in the above novel I think....

BMFScout
05-07-2008, 11:45 PM
tonneau cover, preferably soft so you can roll it out of the way. Should help a little with mileage, but most importantly keeps things dry and out of sight. (out of mind) With it being a short bed/ std cab, it makes it have a ton more room. Prob. needs door pins too.

DRAGOONRANCH
05-08-2008, 12:28 AM
Prob. needs door pins too.

Good call there kreskin... :rolleyes:

:flipoff2:

Sharpe
05-08-2008, 02:09 PM
I would put money on it needing door pins as well. My f'ing crewcab sure as hell does, the body lines are about 1/2" out of whack.

JB
05-08-2008, 02:17 PM
I had the new pins put in my Tahoe.. And if i remember right, I think Brandon's grey truck might have needed them too..:D

Is the intake manifold leak that is so common on the v8s they same for the 4.3?

That valence for the front is 108 new (or it was 4 years ago) You can get one with the tow hook holes too.

Seth
05-08-2008, 02:51 PM
I am doing my best to not think about the pic of this same truck with a fabtech 7" long travel kit and 33s.

Tonneau is a good idea, and I bet I could find a good deal on one with some time.

The door pins are actually not too bad. no bad noises and lines look decent. they could have been done already.

Seth
05-08-2008, 03:00 PM
like so

Fredo
05-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Door pins are notorious on those trucks. Luckily, they aren't too bad to do. If you need to do them and are afraid of messing something up seth, let me know and I'll help you do them.

jerryg79
05-08-2008, 03:47 PM
like so

banish that faggotry from your imagination!

Doug Krebs
05-08-2008, 04:07 PM
banish that faggotry from your imagination!

nice!

Seth
05-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Door pins are notorious on those trucks. Luckily, they aren't too bad to do. If you need to do them and are afraid of messing something up seth, let me know and I'll help you do them.

I will keep this in mind. We did them at A&M a few times, so if nothing else I know I will need a good door holder!

Sharpe
05-08-2008, 05:30 PM
Lifted 2wd's are ghey.

AggieTJ2007
05-08-2008, 06:05 PM
unless they have a 600+ HP motor

william_ace
05-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Lifted 2wd's are ghey.

yes they are. ask me how i know....

Seth
05-08-2008, 10:10 PM

jerryg79
05-08-2008, 11:05 PM
dont you already have one lifted turd?

DRAGOONRANCH
05-08-2008, 11:05 PM
yes they are. ask me how i know....

wenzel???

:flipoff2:

uglyota
05-12-2008, 10:24 PM
The windshield wiper deal may be under recall. Call the dealer and if it is they will clean your truck for you when you take it in.

Seth
05-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Quick googling looks like it covers through 97. This one is a 98. Also, the intereior needs more than what the dealer would do, though it would be a good start.

BroncoJo
05-13-2008, 09:44 AM

The dude that bought the raptor drove the f-150 kind of baja racer, it had the fiberglass overlay rear fenders, replacement front fenders and huge fabtech and rockstar stickers on the side of the truck... very gay.

uglyota
05-13-2008, 09:49 AM
Quick googling looks like it covers through 97. This one is a 98. Also, the intereior needs more than what the dealer would do, though it would be a good start.

call

the

dealer

Seth
05-13-2008, 10:00 AM
The dude that bought the raptor drove the f-150 kind of baja racer, it had the fiberglass overlay rear fenders, replacement front fenders and huge fabtech and rockstar stickers on the side of the truck... very gay.

I'll give you that, but I also wasn't talking about anything like that.

I know that hauling ass down the haul road at the mine in the white truck with dust cloud behind me makes me want to experience Baja that much more. :rainbow:

agjohn02
05-13-2008, 02:24 PM
you guys need to look into the desert scene or go see a CORR race. too bad they arent coming back to Texas this year. guess one too many rednecks told them that 2wds were gay.

there was an aero student when i worked at the wind tunnel that drove a 2003ish 2wd pre-runner chevy. it looked out of place here but i would hardly call it gay... other than the fact that daddy paid for his king coils, longtravel suspension, and fiberglass fenders and he probably never got it dirty.

JB
05-13-2008, 02:36 PM
you guys need to look into the desert scene or go see a CORR race. too bad they arent coming back to Texas this year. guess one too many rednecks told them that 2wds were gay.

there was an aero student when i worked at the wind tunnel that drove a 2003ish 2wd pre-runner chevy. it looked out of place here but i would hardly call it gay... other than the fact that daddy paid for his king coils, longtravel suspension, and fiberglass fenders and he probably never got it dirty.

maroon right? That was a clean truck, looked good.

agjohn02
05-13-2008, 02:43 PM
yup. i only saw it a couple of times so im not sure about the make of the coilovers or year of the truck but it was pretty sweet.

Seth
05-19-2008, 08:54 PM
Update/record keeping.

Replaced the wiper circuit board, 20 bucks, wipers work great.

Replaced wipers. 10 bucks.

Replaced passenger low beam bulb. 6 bucks. Had to take the whole grill off and then pull the headlight assembly off, kind of a pain for a bulb. The lights have holes in the top where someone had strobes or something, so I am going to replace them. They were both holding water on that side.

Replaced marker light bulbs, used 194a's I had at the house, I guess I will put the regular 194's in when I replace the headlights.

Broke the 2 of the turn signal bulbs while I was cleaning the sockets out, guess I will just hit all 4 tomorrow.

Pulled a piece of cable out from in between the front bumper and the marker light which let the body fall back into place. The cable was attached to a threaded eyelet, would love to know who did that one.

Replaced burnt cruise fuse, gonna try it in the morning. The words are faded off the turn signal stalk, I know that far left is off, and middle is on, but I can''t remember which button is set and which is accelerate.

I soaked whatever was in the clutch resevoir out back in Irving and replaced it with DOT3. It has been working pretty well since, provided my stumps for legs push the pedal far enough down.

I filled up almost 300 miles ago and I am still at a healthy 3/8 of a tank. I think the tank is about 25 gallons.

jerryg79
05-19-2008, 08:59 PM
i think the button on the end is set, and push the button to the left to accelerate....i think, that could have been our mini-van

agjohn02
05-19-2008, 10:16 PM
i think the button on the end is set, and push the button to the left to accelerate....i think, that could have been our mini-van

you are correct sir

agjohn02
05-19-2008, 10:17 PM
btw, i must say this is one of the more boring threads on TAMOR. seth, you need to post more pre-runner pics. maybe a paint drawing of what this truck looks like...

uglyota
05-19-2008, 10:18 PM
yep, button on the end is set, little sliding switch to the middle is normal position, pull that switch to the left to turn cruise off/cancel, and push that switch to the right to accelerate/resume.

agjohn02
05-19-2008, 10:22 PM
yep, button on the end is set, little sliding switch to the middle is normal position, pull that switch to the left to turn cruise off/cancel, and push that switch to the right to accelerate/resume.

im 27 and i still get my left and right mixed up. yes, accelerate is to the RIGHT.

Seth
05-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Well as long as I am here to entertain, I did put some rubber floor mats in it as well. 22 bucks.

agjohn02
05-19-2008, 11:01 PM

Seth
05-20-2008, 08:16 AM
I do need a flag like that for the mine

uglyota
05-20-2008, 10:10 AM
Well as long as I am here to entertain, I did put some rubber floor mats in it as well. 22 bucks.

now throw them away and get huskyliners :flipoff2:

Seth
05-20-2008, 09:53 PM
I am not a big fan of huskyliners actually. The lip gets in the way getting in and out and catches/knocks more off than anything.

I got mats like they got/get at A&M, they hold plenty, are pretty heavy and you can trim them to fit really well.

Update. 20 MPG on frist fill up. I am estimating that this will cut my gas expense by about a third, or 80 and 50 bucks for the this past March and April respectively. Saves the company even more than that, which never hurts.

Replaced a fuse and the cruise works great.

Got the bulbs put in for turn signals, 9 bucks.

Tires were all about 6 PSI low, filled those.

Picked up an Aiwa CD player from a buddy for free, even has a front input. I remember these being kinda crappy from back in my Best Buy days, but beats the piece in there now. Analog tuner with a tape deck. I usually leave it off.

Oh yeah, turned over 159000 on the way home today.

william_ace
05-20-2008, 11:00 PM
got pics yet?

Seth
05-20-2008, 11:31 PM
Not yet, I am without camera. I am trying to be really disciplined right now with the cash and pay off some bills. Like this truck. I will try and borrow one soon.

Seth
05-21-2008, 10:45 AM
Pulled the old radio out this morning. There is actually a harness back there! Also the CD player has a warranty through December of this year, so I will most likely go in and swap it out at Best Buy sometime before then.

Been meaning to post this up as well. I used to be an Advanced shopper, but Napa on 2818 is my new parts house. Close to my house, better prices than I expected, and great service. It is a bunch of older white guys, some cute girls, and then some normal joes. If anything really varies on price I will most likely be ordering on the internet anyways. Highly reccomend.

JB
05-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Kyle works there now. Advance = gone to **** after Jerry left. Nobody there knows a things automotive. I go to Napa now too.

BMFScout
05-21-2008, 11:17 AM
Been meaning to post this up as well. I used to be an Advanced shopper, but Napa on 2818 is my new parts house. Close to my house, better prices than I expected, and great service. It is a bunch of older white guys, some cute girls, and then some normal joes. If anything really varies on price I will most likely be ordering on the internet anyways. Highly reccomend.

You've lived there how long and just now are discovering it's the best parts store in CS?

Sharpe
05-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Yah I figured that out my freshman year...

william_ace
05-21-2008, 12:10 PM
napa pretty much has everything you need whenever you need it

BroncoJo
05-21-2008, 12:13 PM
just don't deal with the short bald fawker, I can't stand that yahoo.

Sharpe
05-21-2008, 12:19 PM
Steven...yah...

I have to talk to them every day at work, I know who not to talk to...

Seth
05-27-2008, 10:32 PM
Got the tires rotated and balanced today for free at Sams. I don't even have a card, but my brother in law left the paperwork in the glove box.

They also quoted me 168 for bfg all terrains 35-12.50-15 plus 12 bucks a tire for mount balance lifetime rotate and balance and road hazard. not bad.

Reckless
05-27-2008, 10:49 PM
Sams will rape you in the end. If you dont regularly rotate the tires with just them, they will void all warrenty

Seth
05-28-2008, 08:10 AM
So why not just rotate them? It was far quicker than discount would be.

william_ace
05-28-2008, 02:07 PM
gonna lift it and get some 35s for it? or is that for the white truck

Seth
05-28-2008, 08:10 PM
For the white truck. i am enjoying this thing too much to modify yet.

uglyota
05-28-2008, 10:42 PM
jesus christ take a picture already!

Graystroke
05-28-2008, 11:12 PM
it doesn't exist! or...Seth is gonna take a picture and tell everyone it is an after pic and that he did all this work to get it "right" when in actuality there was nothing wrong with it in the first place.

Seth
05-29-2008, 12:25 PM
My camera broke at the ten year anniversary! I will try to borrow one soon. I know some people have seen it and can vouch.

Sharpe
05-29-2008, 12:34 PM
I seen it!

Eckert
05-29-2008, 07:44 PM
i concur. it does exist.

Seth
05-30-2008, 10:42 AM
I am trying to figure out what axle ratio and transmission this truck has. It is contained in the RPO apparently, but I have no clue where that is. Looks like the rear end could be 3.08, 3.42, or 3.73. I am kinda guessing it is 3.42 but want to know for sure. The transmission is an NV3500 I think, but they do have another one. The fluid types are very different so I want to know for sure. The rated trailer towing weights for this truck are pretty pathetic, 2000, 2500, or 3000 depending on rear axle ratio. With an automatic it jumps to 4000 or 5000 with 3.08 or 3.42 respectively.

I found a VIN decoder, it didn't tell me all I wanted to know.

Also, got a bulb for the interior light, might be the best thing I have done so far ***. I am hoping to give the whole truck a real good wash this weekend, inside and out.

Anyone want a plastic bedliner? I'll take the standard TAMOR offer of 50 bucks for it.

jerryg79
05-30-2008, 10:59 AM
the inside of the glove box has all the codes, that will tell you everything. I used to have the decoder but i dont have the link anymore.

Sharpe
05-30-2008, 11:28 AM
GM used some ****ty peugot manual tranny in the early 80's in small 1/2 ton trucks but after that its all SM465s and Nv3500s and 4500s. Yours is most deffinately a nv3500, if the bellhousing does not seperate from the tranny it is fo sho.

Seth
06-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Pics:

Seth
06-01-2008, 04:41 PM
after finding wet carpet today.

Seth
06-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Think I found the leak, but need to experiment some more first. I think the leak is at the hose at the heater core, not the heater core itself. I can see a drip when it is sitting still, I am thinking that while I am on the road it blows down the pipe into the cab.

Also, sprayed water into the vents by the cupholder and watched the brown syrup pour out. Now the vents move!

uglyota
06-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Looks good! Makes me a little sad though :(
just replace the core, Sharpe can tell you where not to get a replacement. If it doesn't have orange coolant flush it and put the orange stuff in it.
Oh and since when did the standard TAMOR offer become $50, I thought it was $5 or a sixer

Seth
06-02-2008, 08:17 AM
Isn't the core a ***** to put in though? Pulling dash etc? It has green in it, I know almost for sure. It's another one of those deal that kinda makes my brother in law a questionable mechanic. He told me something about how he put the green in bc of "the electrolysis thing" or something along those lines.

Many moons ago, someone it seems used to always offer 50 bucks for anything. Can't member who, but I do think it was on the boards not the list serve.

Seth
06-02-2008, 08:20 AM
Oh yeah, turned over 160k yesterday.

mudtoy67
06-02-2008, 08:22 AM
Heater core is not too bad IIRC. It's directly under the dash on the passenger side, a cover comes off the bottom and then you can pull it. Only thing I remember being difficult is the screws between the back of the cover and the firewall. There is hardly any room at all, and you have to feel around for the screws, and then when you put it back together you have to feel around again. I don't think there's even enough room to fit your fingers back there.

Seth
06-20-2008, 07:57 AM
Changed out the transmission fluid last night, and by change out, I mean drained a cup or so (!) of old stuff and filled it to the brim. It was a pain in the ass filling it, but I am glad I did. I can't believe it didn't burn up as it was, although permanent damage may have been done already. It is a little quieter than it was, hoping it gets a little better as the new clean lube gets worked into everything. MPG go up?

Also, talked to my bro-in-law last night, picked his brain about what he has done to it converter, o2, and tune-up wise. Looks like I am going to replace the rear o2 sensor, and plugs at least (they have that skunk look) What is the procedure to test plug wires? Just measure resistance with a multimeter? What number am I looking for? He said he replaced the cap and rotor, but if I get back there and pull it off, I may as well replace it. You won't believe where they put the distributor on these damn things!! :wink: Right on the back of the motor where you have to pull the intake to get to it!

uglyota
06-21-2008, 05:47 PM
careful not to break the ears (that the cap hold-down screws go into) off the dizzy body.

Seth
08-08-2008, 02:56 PM
OK, see el borracho thread for updates.

Today while talking to a guy I used to work with (Stanley) he mentioned he had two NV4500s that he would let go real cheap. The trans in this truck makes a sweet grumble when the clutch is out, and leaks really bad. I am just letting it go til it grenades one day, although I did think about stopping by a shop to make sure there is no checper fix to keeo it goin.

That said, if I could put a 4500 in place of the 3500 which folks not to think much of, I figure why not? The bellhousings match up, and I would prob have to shorten the driveshaft. What else? I guess checking the slave and clutch MC would be the other big concern.

Oh yeah, If anyone is in the market for a cheap 4500 let me know, he has a couple.

Doug Krebs
08-08-2008, 02:58 PM
OK, see el borracho thread for updates.

Today while talking to a guy I used to work with (Stanley) he mentioned he had two NV4500s that he would let go real cheap. The trans in this truck makes a sweet grumble when the clutch is out, and leaks really bad. I am just letting it go til it grenades one day, although I did think about stopping by a shop to make sure there is no checper fix to keeo it goin.

That said, if I could put a 4500 in place of the 3500 which folks not to think much of, I figure why not? The bellhousings match up, and I would prob have to shorten the driveshaft. What else? I guess checking the slave and clutch MC would be the other big concern.

Oh yeah, If anyone is in the market for a cheap 4500 let me know, he has a couple.

If one is 4x4 I call dibs...

Sharpe
08-08-2008, 03:05 PM
I dont know about that swap. The 4500 is ALOT bigger, heavier and all around stouter than a 3500 and will deffinately negatively affect your mileage. I would stick with the 3500 unless you are planning a V-8 swap of some sort.

agjohn02
08-08-2008, 03:29 PM
theres a reason the 2500 frame is taller than the 1500 frame. you planning on building a new transmission tunnel?

edit- sorry to kill your hopes of actually doing some building in your build up thread.:flipoff2:

jerryg79
08-08-2008, 03:30 PM
85 lbs difference, i doubt you would ever notice that in mileage.

jerryg79
08-08-2008, 03:30 PM
edit- sorry to kill your hopes of actually doing some building in your build up thread.:flipoff2:

oh dis slam!

Sharpe
08-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Parasitic drag from the larger gears and bearings. I have a hard time believing the steel cased 4500 only weighs 85 lbs more than the aluminum cased 3500 too.

jerryg79
08-08-2008, 03:44 PM
Parasitic drag from the larger gears and bearings. I have a hard time believing the steel cased 4500 only weighs 85 lbs more than the aluminum cased 3500 too.

110 lbs vs 195 lbs.

Seth
08-08-2008, 05:58 PM
hmmm...well if nothing else, whats the going rate for a condition unknown 4500?

agjohn02
08-08-2008, 06:02 PM
you be much happier putting a 700r4 in it. then you can get a kickass B&M ratchet shifter for the floor.

Seth
08-08-2008, 06:04 PM
am i missing sarcasm? other than the shifter part of course.

agjohn02
08-08-2008, 06:05 PM
no, im just saying an automatic is much nicer in a DD

Eckert
08-08-2008, 10:32 PM
no, im just saying an automatic is much nicer in a DD

no, it depends on the application. im much happier with a manual then an auto constantly jacking off.

agjohn02
08-08-2008, 11:06 PM
then you should put a manual transmission in your hybrid

Seth
08-26-2008, 09:56 PM
Tonight I witnessed what I believe to be the death of a manual transmission.

KrazyKarl02
08-27-2008, 07:25 AM
Details?

Seth
08-28-2008, 02:14 AM
Yes, in time, too damn busy for my own damn good. I drove the white truck today, gonna have to do something with this one.

TMatheaus
09-09-2008, 05:57 PM
details biatch

Seth
09-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Still driving the white truck. Hoping to put a trans in this weekend.

Having driven the white truck for so long, then the maroon for the past couple weeks, I realize how unfit/borderline unsafe the white truck is. At least for daily/long distance driving. I have been thinking tonight about what the most practical/realistic options are. In a perfect world, I would have the toy, the tow rig, and the practical ride. At this point I will most likely go with the practical option first. Putting a new trans in the maroon truck will have it good to go for while, where i should prob sell the white truck. Then maybe someday get an IH of some sort to play with, and then replace the maroon truck with something that can be more multipurpose DD/tow/people hauler. I am sure I am overthinking it, as things will surely change between now and "then"

I will say, I hate to think of getting less than 20 MPG now. I also realized how much people get out of your way in the white truck.

This whole thing also makes me appreciate a toy that doesnt have to be trailered everywhere, be it off road or street car.

More to come.

Seth
09-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Oh yeah, just realized I didn't tell the story about getting it home. The trans has been making sweet noises since I got it, mainly when you let off the clutch in nuetral, at least that is when you can hear it. It also leaks, so it has run/is running low on fluid i'm sure. I added once. So I am heading home one night from out of town and get to about OSR and 6 when I hear a strange noise. real steady sound, I thought I had something stuck to my tire with tar from the construction I had just passed. Then I notice the gearshift has a sweet side to side shake to it. At this point I didn't figure I would make it home, but would go as far as possible so it wouldnt have to be pulled far. I cruise on down 6 and then try the clutch. Straight to the floor. So now I am in 5th with no clutch. I manage to get it into 4th and go on down to the highway 40 exit, past my exit. There I turn right, and cruise on down to Wellborn, where I turn right again and make it to rock prairie. I had to make the light here, or else pull into the lot on the right so I would not block traffic. I had the truck into 2nd by this time just coaxing the truck in and out of gear with no clutch. I saw the light was red a ways off so I slowed way down, cruised in slow and somehow caught not only the green light, but a space in traffic to turn left! I then went about 20 the rest of the way to the house, much to the dismay of the folks behind me, but hell I was home!! And there in the driveway where I parked it that night is where it is still sitting.

A guy I used to work with said he has an 88 or 89 he is parting out and that he would give the trans cheap. He also has a lift and shop with tools I can use. So this weekend I will most likely be out in caldwell doing that. I am a little skeptical about putting in a trans that I have no idea of the condition on, let alone if it is the same one, but I figure if it doesnt look like a good idea, I can have one of them rebuilt and put it back in.

Words of advice folks? Clutch MC, Slave, clutch disc, and pressure plate? How crucial is machining the flywheel? I have got less than a grand in it so far, So if I can keep it super cheap and it still be good for another 30k or so, I am all in.

Reckless
09-09-2008, 07:43 PM
No valair clutch:flipoff3:

Graystroke
09-09-2008, 10:29 PM
do you think it is the throw out bearing/slave? maybe it grenaded and is causing all the noise? It would be pretty easy to tell if something is wrong w/ the tranny..lots of metal should come out when you drain it. The noise in 5th kinda sounds like the sun gears going out. I had an overdrive go out in a 3 spd w/ OD and it made horrible noises and had me on the edge of my seat waiting for the bang followed by a visionin my head of the tires locking up. I was able to drop it out of OD and all was good for the rest of the trip. If your in there I would go ahead and resurface the flywheel and get a new clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, and slave cylinder. Especially if you plan on keeping it.

Graystroke
09-09-2008, 10:30 PM
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/pts/831812935.html

Graystroke
09-09-2008, 10:35 PM
Is the clutch and flywheel the same as a 350? I have one I would sell you cheap. They are new.

StevenAg03
09-09-2008, 10:58 PM
A guy I used to work with said he has an 88 or 89 he is parting out and that he would give the trans cheap. He also has a lift and shop with tools I can use. So this weekend I will most likely be out in caldwell doing that.

you refering to Wayne? if so, which truck is he parting out? the Harley Davidson step side?

Seth
09-10-2008, 07:10 AM
Nice find grayson. I will email them. I am not sure about the clutch flywheel etc.

Steven, its not the "harley" truck, it is an auto. He got another truck he just wants the bed off of apparently.