PDA

View Full Version : Tool Review: Wrench Force Screwdrivers

uglyota
05-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Screwdrivers have got to be the most underrated tool in my bag. I can think of only one screwdriver that I have ever bought new, most of mine are craftsman hand-me downs or ones I've found, yet a dull or soft or wrong-sized screwdriver can ruin your day quicker than any other tool.
With this in mind I got the idea a couple of months ago to replace my standard sizes of screwdriver with some decent ones. Well Snap-on screwdrivers (like the rest of their tools) are still a little rich for my blood, and I've had enough bad experiences with Craftsman that I didn't want to go that route again (even if that is due to my theory that easy replacement warranty makes screwdrivers double as mini crowbars), so when I saw Wrench-Force screwdriver sets start popping up I thought I'd give them a try.
Wrench Force was a Trek Bikes subsidiary until fairly recently being dissolved (I think). I had always heard they were designed by Snap-on, and told by some that they were actually made by Snap-on. Regardless, they are top-notch bike tools and these screwdrivers are no exception. Feel and finish is fully Snap-on quality, the steel looks to be pretty high carbon, and they have those cool little wrench points near the handle.
Now here's the kicker. A set of 6 of these guys can be had for $20-$30 from Ebay, Overstock.com, or other places online. I got mine off Ebay from a merchant called bikewagon and was happy with their service.
Last night I replaced the hodgepodge of old screwdrivers in my tool bag with this set, and am psyched to know that the next time I am fumbling through it looking for the right screwdriver I will not pull out 3 crappy versions of the same size before finding the one I am looking for.
http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/L10858585.jpg

robertf03
05-14-2008, 12:59 PM
wrench points are a plus. I've got a few crafstman screwdrivers I've welded nuts to.

BMFScout
05-14-2008, 01:45 PM
Flem is the same guy that has a life expectancy on screw drivers, one year. He gets a new set every Christmas like most people get underwear/socks.

jerryg79
05-14-2008, 02:02 PM
that is why i have all the shatty screw drivers i've got in a large jar for prying and a good complete set in my tool box.

Fredo
05-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Screwdrivers should be classified as consumables in a shop.

Graystroke
05-14-2008, 02:56 PM
does the bottom flat head screwdriver in that pic looked a little tweaked?
can you buy them in stores besides bike shops? who sells them. I want to check them out

nevermind, I was trying to sound interested while pointing out the bottom screwdriver is bent!:flipoff2: I didn't want to come off all cox like and have nothing positive to say.
Harbor Freight...$3.99...just buy three sets

DRAGOONRANCH
05-14-2008, 03:00 PM
You are just too cheap to buy proper chisels and prybars. :rolleyes:

yes, pot calling kettle over, come in kettle :blackbiggrin:

Seth
05-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Speaking of tools being consumables, it blows my mind what some of my customers keep on hand as such. things like cut off arbors and mandrels, disc holders, allen wrenches, etc.

This is not even to mention drill bits, taps, dies, reamers, and endmills.

Use tape, use zipties, use soap, abrasives, fasteners, I get all that. But some things seem pretty nuts sometimes.

BMFScout
05-14-2008, 11:29 PM
Sounds like pretty cheap stuff to keep on hand so that you aren't holding up a job. How many times have you had to run to Home Depot for something. All it costs you is time, it costs them money!

Seth
05-14-2008, 11:38 PM
I guess keeping on hand isnt the right word. It gets used up regularly. But yes, you are right, thats the whole idea.

Oh yeah, a trip to homedepot costs me like 2 bucks i bet!

BMFScout
05-14-2008, 11:40 PM
I can't get out of there without spending a hondo. How do you do it?! ;)