PDA

View Full Version : fancy cool name

Eckert
06-21-2008, 10:40 PM
finally found a decent truck worth keeping. i havent had much time to go over it becuase of work but here are the specs:

1979 F350
400M
4 spd (420?)
NP205
Dana 60 F&R

been repainted eleventy times with a roller. was a shop truck for the past ten years pulling trailers. new clutch, brakes, belts and random other odds and ends. Drove it back last night from seguin(from redneck trailer house in middle of no where) strait up through austin, luckily it was dark. leaks/burns oil, leaks fuel, floor boards rusted out, cancer around the drip rail, only speedo works. besides that. the truck is rust free otherwise, runs great, everything else works(even A/C), and will cruise at 60mph with out any problems.

going to sell the western haulerish bed to recoupe some cash back. going to strip the inside and see how bad the rust goes, power wash 30 years of grime off of it, attempt to fix leaks. more details as get get farther into it.

teaser pic, will get the money shot later

DRAGOONRANCH
06-21-2008, 10:53 PM
That is a good start on a awesome rig.

Fool sizes rule!!!

Just guessing, but the tranny is probably a 465 (I have never heard of a 4wd 420 unless it was converted) but I may be terribly wrong as I know jack **** about fords and about as much on transmissions. ;)

jerryg79
06-21-2008, 11:16 PM
np435

DRAGOONRANCH
06-21-2008, 11:35 PM
so you are good for something on here then?!!?!!!

:flipoff2:

AggieTJ2007
06-22-2008, 10:01 AM
I am interested in the flatbed

BroncoJo
06-22-2008, 11:10 AM
you better wheel this thing

william_ace
06-22-2008, 12:11 PM
how much you pick it up for?

Eckert
06-22-2008, 02:21 PM
owners manual confirmed the 435. kinda neat i got a whole bunch of the original papers with it.

anyways, ive bragged enough on how much i stole it for.

i thought about keeping it somewhat stock after i got it(being rare and all), bought it close to dark and didnt look over it too well. but since the cab is pretty much trash, im wheeling the bastard. i was able to take a screw driver and poke holes all through the floor. going to need to invest in some springs, although im sure when i get the bed off it will raise it up a couple inches.

bout to go tear the interior apart and power wash it, ill get some pics later tonight.

william_ace
06-22-2008, 02:37 PM
anyways, ive bragged enough on how much i stole it for.

where?

colman
06-22-2008, 09:34 PM
to me over the phone

DRAGOONRANCH
06-22-2008, 10:49 PM
alright then, spill the joo-joo beans already....

william_ace
06-22-2008, 10:54 PM
like i said in the PM to tyler who cares what you got it for. that makes it even more badass that you got it for so cheap!! that bed is worth X amount whether you paid 3 dollars for the truck or 3000 dollars for the truck. im very pleased to see you in a full size my friend. talk to travis he knows a ton about the 400 and 435 that is in there. good luck!

rockfrawg
06-22-2008, 11:01 PM
having been in one and since seen the light...i'll have to agree w/ Krebs when it comes to full sizes...put the axles in a mini

so how much was it???

DRAGOONRANCH
06-22-2008, 11:09 PM
having been in one and since seen the light...i'll have to agree w/ Krebs when it comes to full sizes...put the axles in a mini

fawk a mini, his cab is in the same condition as mine so when he has to use it to pivot on it won't bother him. :D

so how much was it???

x2 (again. There are plenty of closet hebrews here that want to know.) :flipoff2:

eight
06-23-2008, 07:11 AM
Yea, this latest trend of building giant piles of crap no es bueno. Heavy and hard to see out of.

JB
06-23-2008, 10:59 AM
:rolleyes: Yes, everyone buy a Jeep or Yota and put 1 tons in it. :rolleyes: boring.

Nice truck, It looks like a relative of "The Sanchez":gigem:

BMFScout
06-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Sambo

Eckert
06-23-2008, 03:22 PM
waiting on the insurance card so i can get it inspected.

since its running and everything works, i see no need in tearing it apart. the only decent metal on the truck is the fenders and the hood. ill just bash those to match the rest. when the truck gets to the point where its falling apart. ill swap everything over into something smaller. my luck, i would end up like everyone else with a pile o parts and nothing to wheel and the project would never get completed. this way i have a solid drivetrain and can try to develope some skillz.

sasquatch
06-23-2008, 03:49 PM
:rolleyes: Yes, everyone buy a Jeep or Yota and put 1 tons in it. :rolleyes: boring.

agreed

JeepPhisherman
06-23-2008, 04:26 PM

Nice truck, It looks like a relative of "The Sanchez":gigem:

Why go 1 tons in a yota when you can go longs?

agjohn02
06-23-2008, 04:36 PM

knuckles, steering, housing, r&p

Fredo
06-23-2008, 04:53 PM

not metric :flipoff2:

eight
06-23-2008, 05:20 PM
waiting on the insurance card so i can get it inspected.

since its running and everything works, i see no need in tearing it apart. the only decent metal on the truck is the fenders and the hood. ill just bash those to match the rest. when the truck gets to the point where its falling apart. ill swap everything over into something smaller. my luck, i would end up like everyone else with a pile o parts and nothing to wheel and the project would never get completed. this way i have a solid drivetrain and can try to develope some skillz.

Ah yes, there's the right idea. Chop the fenders and put on some cheap tires and wheel it. Screw buildups. :gigem:

rockfrawg
06-23-2008, 05:22 PM
knuckles, steering, housing, r&p

not metric :flipoff2:

x2

x4

+ full width = less rollover, more unsprung weight

Eckert
06-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Ah yes, there's the right idea. Chop the fenders and put on some cheap tires and wheel it. Screw buildups. :gigem:

i need to figure out what springs to use. ill post up some measurements later. whats the consensus on military michelins? they seem to be cheap and plentiful.

im in the middle of trying to figure out the rats nest of wires under the dash. ive pulled out about 40ft of wire that served no purpose whats so ever. theres a random fuel electric fuel pump on the frame. previous owner believed in circuit breakers, but has no idea what a wire nut is.

why go yota when you can go 1 ton and longs?

AggieTJ2007
06-23-2008, 07:33 PM
thats it right there^^^^

BroncoJo
06-23-2008, 07:38 PM
i need to figure out what springs to use. ill post up some measurements later. whats the consensus on military michelins? they seem to be cheap and plentiful.

im in the middle of trying to figure out the rats nest of wires under the dash. ive pulled out about 40ft of wire that served no purpose whats so ever. theres a random fuel electric fuel pump on the frame. previous owner believed in circuit breakers, but has no idea what a wire nut is.

why go yota when you can go 1 ton and longs?

military michelins suck inless your doing the 54's and rocks and want to drive on the street.

These trucks came with 40 miles of extra wiring and vacume hoses from the factory.

also i sugest using the electric fuel pump and bypassing the mechanical one.

colman
06-23-2008, 07:52 PM
i doubt you want to go with a 20" rim but i have 3 41" tall michelin's that you can have cheap

eight
06-23-2008, 07:58 PM
I like the military michelins. Only problem is getting wheels for them. You may be able to get some that are 36x11x16. There's also one that's about 38.5x13x16 but I've never seen them for sale. Looked quite a bit a while back. Guess aftermarket 20s are getting cheaper.

Eckert
06-23-2008, 09:32 PM
military michelins suck inless your doing the 54's and rocks and want to drive on the street.

These trucks came with 40 miles of extra wiring and vacume hoses from the factory.

also i sugest using the electric fuel pump and bypassing the mechanical one.

i was thinking about the 11.00/16. which are about 38" tall. i can get a good set for $4-500. hummer tires suck. im trying to think of other alternatives than spending 7-800+ for tires.

whats the reasoning for bypassing the mechanical pump? the fuel pump on the frame is toast, not connected to anything. i do have another good one sitting in the garage though.

i got most of the wiring squared away, or atleast figured out. i dont plan on touching anything on the engine until it acts up.

BroncoJo
06-23-2008, 09:40 PM
i was thinking about the 11.00/16. which are about 38" tall. i can get a good set for $4-500. hummer tires suck. im trying to think of other alternatives than spending 7-800+ for tires.

whats the reasoning for bypassing the mechanical pump? the fuel pump on the frame is toast, not connected to anything. i do have another good one sitting in the garage though.

i got most of the wiring squared away, or atleast figured out. i dont plan on touching anything on the engine until it acts up.

There is just no way I would drop 400-500 on them, if they were a killer deal I would say go for it. I would look for a used set of 40's that are in the 400-500 range.

I've never had good luck with them I guess. didn't supply enough fuel and sometimes made starting a *****.

jerryg79
06-23-2008, 09:47 PM
those engines have trouble with vapor lock, i think the mechanical fuel pump is a contributing factor?

Eckert
06-23-2008, 09:50 PM
hmm? ill have to look into that. ive been racing(if you can call it that) around on the county roads out here and havent had any problems. start up right away with no pumping the pedal either.

think its becuase yours is a little hopped up/4bbl. as where this one is still stock with a 2bbl?

eight
06-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Bypass the mechanical one so you can have a less reliable pump. The only thing the electric one is good for is to fill the bowl if it leaks out all the time or sits long enough to evaporate.

Hummer tires aren't bad. Just have to shape them up. The biggest reason they suck so much is because everyone runs them on wheels they'll fall off of if below 15 psi. Also because people usually put them on fullsizes, and of course that's gonna suck.
Just have to make them look like this. **Also proof the tires once had tread.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v160/ryankopecki/jeep%20mods/stickout1.jpg

I'd just watch for a good deal on some tires, they come up often enough. You can have my old 38s if you need something to wheel on for a while. They have recognizable tread left and would work great at Katemcy.

You got a rear 60? If so get some extra shafts.

eight
06-23-2008, 09:56 PM
Yea it also helps if you get the vapor lock. It's better at pumping air. Just fix the vapor lock problem.

BroncoJo
06-23-2008, 10:06 PM
I have never had a problem with and electric fuel pump... yet.

colman
06-23-2008, 10:18 PM
50 bux for the 3 41's, thats what i paid

Seth
06-23-2008, 10:30 PM
but has no idea what a wire nut is

Wire nuts on a vehicle = bad

Eckert
06-23-2008, 10:41 PM

are you trying to sell them to me? im the one who found the tires for you. besides, i dont want to have to buy 20's. and i dont want a tire that large.

Wire nuts on a vehicle = bad

well, a wire nut would have been better than wires twisted and rusted together with nothing at all. one hot wire was actually grounding out because it got caught up in the clutch pedal spring. thus why the reverse light didnt work.

DRAGOONRANCH
06-23-2008, 11:11 PM

with some pretty cheap shipping iirc...

;)

colman
06-24-2008, 12:28 AM
i did offer compensation ed, and as always i am in your debt. it seems that this might be a perpetual thing if i keep finding things in waco that i want

and since you did find them tyler you know that i am selling them for what i have in them

DRAGOONRANCH
06-24-2008, 01:44 AM
Actually I don't even remember the specifics of the arrangement, just glad I can help out as always. :D

That was a pretty cool dude I picked them up from, I wonder how his build is going?

Eckert
06-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Actually I don't even remember the specifics of the arrangement, just glad I can help out as always. :D

That was a pretty cool dude I picked them up from, I wonder how his build is going?

last i recall he sold everything to pay for school. damn...snaked my own thread.

AggieTJ2007
06-24-2008, 07:10 PM
thats how its done

Eckert
06-24-2008, 11:08 PM
pics

colman
06-24-2008, 11:15 PM
that front bumper looks like it wants a winch

Eckert
06-24-2008, 11:32 PM
more

Eckert
06-24-2008, 11:39 PM
i have a few more. but cant get them to load.

now on to tech:

cook;travis, what kind of lift did yall gain from a reverse shackel lift? looks strait foward. the rear springs are 56" eye to eye w/ 3" lift blocks. the fronts at ~53" and negative arch and a 90* shackel angle. what can i get away with on the front. chevy 56" springs? then flip the TRE on the drag link/J-arm so the angle isnt so severe? should that sit about level?

i pretty sure the bumper could house a winch. but i think i want 35 spline axles and a locka first.

i also got all the wiring sorted out and everything working, the wiring under the bed/tailights was a mess. still waiting on insurance so i can get this peice inspected.

BroncoJo
06-24-2008, 11:46 PM
I'm not a hug fan of the reverse shackle but it can give about 2-3 inches of lift I figure. Any kind of springs on the front is an improvement and fairly easy from what I figure, but the steering sucks. Just go look at cooks thread and do exactly what he did and never look into the trugly thread or do what I have done.

sasquatch
06-25-2008, 12:30 AM
yea, there is some good info in my thread amonst the shat. i'll chime in tomorrow when i haven't been drinkig

Graystroke
06-25-2008, 12:39 AM
that truck looks like the old truck at the COOP, an old 2wd dually w/ a welding bed. It was a major POS, rusted out, and had similar fuel problems Jerry was talking about. The wiring harness was melted from the numerous times it backfired and caught on fire. I put a few carb fires out myself. I parked it a couple of times back in the shop using low gear and the starter.:D We ended up torching the cab off, bending in the frame rails to make a tongue and made a dually welding trailer out of it. It looked fairly retarded. Then we took the engine, tranny, and cab to Bryan Iron.:gigem:

rockfrawg
06-25-2008, 12:58 AM
what kind of lift did yall gain from a reverse shackel lift? looks strait foward.

the shackle flip will give you an amount of lift thats equal to the length of the shackle. if you can find lowering shackles the right width you can throw those on there for a few extra inches

stock shackle
http://www.texasoffroad.net/albums/lonestar/album83/sas13.jpg

longer shackle
http://www.texasoffroad.net/albums/lonestar/album525/DSC00719.sized.jpg

if you use the stock shackle and bolt you've gotta put the bolt thru the shackle from the inside or the bolt will rub the frame, which means putting the shackle on the spring before you bolt the shackle to the hanger

sasquatch
06-25-2008, 10:18 AM
that using the stock hanger **** sucks. get some f350 hangers. best way to go for the rear shackle flip.

http://www.tamor.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9136&stc=1&d=1161203317

JB
06-25-2008, 11:21 AM
shackle flip with F250 hangars, stock bronco shackle. I run stock rear springs no blocks with this setup and clear 36s easily.
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/98866/fullsize/weighted-angle.jpg
f450 shackle
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/213852/fullsize/im000554a.jpg

Eckert
06-25-2008, 03:32 PM
that using the stock hanger **** sucks. get some f350 hangers. best way to go for the rear shackle flip.

i do have f350 hangers. they look more like the one rockfrawg used and not so much like yours. it appears to me that i can simply flit the hanger around.

[QUOTE=JBrown89;194270]shackle flip with F250 hangars, stock bronco shackle. I run stock rear springs no blocks with this setup and clear 36s easily.
QUOTE]

yours hand way below the frame, as where mine would sit alot higher. but i do have a 3" block. so maybe i could clear a 35" somewhat easy.

the idea is to retain a shackel agian like / instead of \ on the rear, right? otherwise you would have zero down travel. and it might reverse and lock out?

sounds like i got a easy fix for the rear. but what should i do about the front. someone with 56" chebbys want to measure the arc so i can get a rough idea on how much is would raise the front?

im sure i should gain about an inch after i get rid of the bed too.

william_ace
06-25-2008, 03:59 PM
i do have f350 hangers. they look more like the one rockfrawg used and not so much like yours. it appears to me that i can simply flit the hanger around.
\

yeah you can do that but your shackle angle will be Horrible. i would do what cook and John have done or get sky mfg flip brackets and bolt them into the stock locations.

Sharpe
06-25-2008, 04:17 PM
I have a set of 56's chillin in the backyard you can come finger**** and Pigpen has a set on the front but they have add-a-leafs in em.

eight
06-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Shackle angle should be like Cook's.

John has to clear a body, you won't have one. So it really just comes around to making the rear kind of level with the front. Figure out what tire size you're gonna run first and lift/trim the front to fit. Then worry about the back.

rockfrawg
06-26-2008, 06:07 AM
oh yeah...i guess i should have mentioned that there was no axle in the truck when i took that picture, (no weight on it), i was more showing what it looks like when you flip the shackle...and, the top of the shackle hanger sat above the frame. once I got it sitting on the ground and the springs broke in it sat about stock angle.

JB
06-26-2008, 08:18 AM
my first pic was unweighted, fyi

sasquatch
06-26-2008, 12:38 PM

mine and JBs are f-250/f-350 front hangers for the rear springs. don't do the stock hanger flip, it does nothing but a couple inches of lift. your shackle angle will still suck

http://tamor.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7994&stc=1&d=1143503315

JB
06-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Mine do hang low, but my gas tank skid takes the hits. The F450 shackles are pretty stout if they do get in the rocks. That doesnt matter to you though, you can put them has high as you want if you do not have a bed. Been wheeling it with that setup for many years and have not had an issue yet.

Eckert
06-26-2008, 04:16 PM
well that makes sense of the different hangers and shackel angles now.

been thinking. maybe if i put the rear springs up front, i could run 63's out back with a flipped hanger and get a shackel to fit.

Sharpe
06-26-2008, 04:19 PM
I would stick with 56's or so. I have 63's in Pigpen and am not impressed with the flex, plus they kill my departure angle.

DRAGOONRANCH
06-26-2008, 11:08 PM
The 63"s are more for the mini truck crowd. If you go with the 56"s I recomend a traction/anti-wrap bar. If you stay with smaller tires and chevy 52"s, you won't need the AW bar as bad.

AggieTJ2007
06-27-2008, 08:52 AM
yeah but now that he is hanging a one ton axle underneath the 56's should flex fine, but like he said, they are easiest to fit

Damn wrong thread, go with 56's they work very good, just get something that is easily found at the junkyard.

if you want to keep it ford you can get some ford 57's They come in Rangers, explorers, and f-150s

get a set or two and mix and match springs and get the spring you want. Look for thin leaves

also: is you drive to Waco, Heralds junkyard will pull you a set of springs for around $50

stx4wheeler
06-27-2008, 10:18 AM
just find some bronco or f-150 springs they will work the best. With a set of front hangers moved out back like cook and john brown. Thats is what i had on big nasty and it flexed fine. I jacked the truck up, and let the springs with shackle and hanger attached droop completely. Then i welded the hanger to the frame when my shackle was vertical with the springs still at full droop. This gave me around 5 icnhes of lift with stock hangers and springs, plus it also gave me an almost perfect shackle angle at ride height..

Eckert
06-27-2008, 06:37 PM
yeah but now that he is hanging a one ton axle underneath the 56's should flex fine, but like he said, they are easiest to fit

Damn wrong thread, go with 56's they work very good, just get something that is easily found at the junkyard.

if you want to keep it ford you can get some ford 57's They come in Rangers, explorers, and f-150s

get a set or two and mix and match springs and get the spring you want. Look for thin leaves

also: is you drive to Waco, Heralds junkyard will pull you a set of springs for around $50

i usually go to harolds in briggs. they seem to have a pretty good size yard and a good supply of trucks.

going to look at some tires sometime this weekend. so i might step it up to 35" buckshots.

57's with a few more leaves and some 56's up front sounds like what im going to end up with. all i need it for travis to put the 56 on the front of the trugly to see how they turn out.

i also got the a/c to work today. all i need is a DVD player now.

RCcola55
06-27-2008, 06:50 PM
had the same thing on the bronco, flipping the stock hangers is gay and doesnt give much in the lift department

Eckert
07-19-2008, 06:14 PM
requested by the sand man:

paid $800 and drove it home. spent about $100 on tune-up, making it legal, and random misc parts. sold the bed for $750. i never touched it. i hooked a buddy up to install it on another truck for $350 while i was gone.

so i have $150 total in the truck as of right now. rear end must have raised a good 3" and now has a rake. which should even out if i install 56" leaves F&R. i need to make a bed or buy some tube and expanded metal. i cant drive the truck at all without it shaking me out of it, glass rattling, etc. hopefully some 1/2ton springs will help out too. maybe i could comp cut a short bed(still got your bed cook?) and make that work? i know i should prob shorten the wheelbase about 15-20". but really dont feel like messing with the fuel tank, drive shaft, and everything else.

Sharpe
07-21-2008, 08:52 AM
Cook's old bed went to Bryan Iron many moons ago.

BroncoJo
07-21-2008, 09:09 AM
shorten the wheelbase, it is well worth it and easy.

I'm guessing the back tires are hopping off the ground everytime you hit a bump? This could be solved with half ton springs, decent shocks, shortened wheelbase, some type of bed and a raised front end.

TMatheaus
07-21-2008, 11:03 AM
i have a short bed of that vintage at my casa in SA

Eckert
07-21-2008, 06:05 PM
i have a short bed of that vintage at my casa in SA

la vernia correct?

and youll be happy for me to get it off your property, correct? if not, state your price.

Eckert
07-25-2008, 11:05 PM
looking for some ~35's and half ton springs. took the sway bars off. drive it to town a couple days a week. going to get the a/c charged on sunday.

the cab is pretty much JUNK. floor boards have some rot from non exsistent window seals. couple rust holes in the back of the cab. back of cab fubar from either installing the bed or ??? and rusted drip rail/windshield frame. fire wall foward is in decent shaope though. doors/rockers/glass all good.

so i got some different options here

Plan A: replace floorboards and make some sliders/protection

Plan B: to hell with sliders and floorboards and boat side

Plan C: **** it and see if i cant make it look like it went through a meat grinder.

colman
07-25-2008, 11:29 PM
10 bux says that most people will go with plan c
but i say boatside

stx4wheeler
07-25-2008, 11:42 PM
plan C- see big nasty thread for results

agjohn02
07-26-2008, 01:11 AM
plan D- remove all form of sheetmetal and build an f-toy style chassis

BMFScout
07-26-2008, 02:47 AM
Plan F- Fawk it, trash everything but the drivetrain, put it in something smaller, (Early Scout) Rock out with your **** out.

Cajun
07-26-2008, 09:25 AM
plan D- remove all form of sheetmetal and build an f-toy style chassis

Exactly what I was going to say. Formula F-350! FF350!

-or-

pick up a minitruck cab on the cheap and do the cabtruck thing.

eight
07-26-2008, 10:11 AM
For all those that keep saying the stock hanger flip won't be any good, get F-250/F-350 ones. The truck in question is a F-350, which I assume uses F-350 parts.

william_ace
07-26-2008, 11:06 AM
For all those that keep saying the stock hanger flip won't be any good, get F-250/F-350 ones. The truck in question is a F-350, which I assume uses F-350 parts.

yeah it uses beefier parts but you could flip it in the stock location and you are still going to have the ****ty shackle angle

BroncoJo
07-26-2008, 11:56 AM
I think you should deffinitly do the f-toy thing, sink 5k+ into it, many long nights wrenching and never see a trail. Then sell the axles to me when you give up on it for pennies on the dollar.:rolleyes:

or just wheel the piss out of it. and fawking lose the AC you girl.

DRAGOONRANCH
07-26-2008, 01:19 PM
The cab is already fooked, boatside it and wheel the piss out of it. If you put a new cab on it, you will end up not wanting to scratch it and that is no fun at all. ;)

Reckless
07-27-2008, 02:08 PM
I say go with a combination of b and c

stx4wheeler
07-27-2008, 03:01 PM
you could narrow the front like i did the big nasty tyler to make it easier to get your tires up on stuff. It was a really easy mod and took about a 2-3 days of mild working on to do the most time consuming part was cutting the hood in three pieces and rewelding it, but you could jsut screw it together if you were lazy. Leave it full body you will get to enjoy the sound of crunching sheet metal.

Sharpe
07-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Boatside the **** out of it and build some STOUT sliders. That is one of the best bang-for-the-buck mods I've done to Pigpen and it has really helped me squeeze down some tight trails I had no business being on.

agjohn02
07-27-2008, 05:08 PM
i think you should strip it down to the frame and chassis, then narrow a bronco body and put on it. shouldnt take long at all.

Eckert
07-27-2008, 07:55 PM
i got to take a look at pig pen to get an idea of how high to go. im worried if i go too high, like to the top of the fenderwell, the floor board would be too squeezed to accomedate(sp) the clutch assembly, my feet in general, etc. but want to go high enough to make it worth while.

i need to look in big nasty as well. though about narrowing the front.

or if i had a full blown shop and unlimited funds. i could do a drive train swap. but since im building it, im going to try to improve on what i have to work with.

AggieTJ2007
07-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Build roll cage
boatside it with some good rockers
build a good flatbed to haul tools/ extra people
edit: some sort of BW1456?/NP 205 doubler
narrow the front so that you can see
wheel the piss out of it

Later:
buy longfield shafts for the front
buy 40s or 42s
roll it
scrap body/frame and put axles and tires on a EFI ford ranger body

rockfrawg
07-27-2008, 10:33 PM
what does it mean to boatside it?

bburris
07-27-2008, 10:48 PM
Best pic I could find of how Scott did his on the Patrol.
http://offroadrepublic.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=21301&g2_serialNumber=2

Eckert
08-06-2008, 03:06 PM
adavanced the timing, runs 100x better now.

a/c also blows cold with no leaks.

Sharpe
08-06-2008, 03:36 PM
Link to Pigpen's boatsiding

http://tamor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=129147&postcount=482

BMFScout
08-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Like Ya Te Ha Jim's Scout buggy.

Eckert
08-29-2008, 08:16 PM
got a pair of 35" TSL's to go on the front. picking up another pair this weekend. i hope they will fit. if not, i havent decide to invest in some springs, get a BFH out, or get to cutting.

DRAGOONRANCH
08-30-2008, 01:26 AM
sawzall/plasma is your friend. :D

Eckert
11-11-2008, 01:35 PM
im pissed off to no end about getting a damn title. so if anyone knows of a 73(?)-79 ford long bed with decent sheet metal and a CLEAN TITLE for cheap. let me know.

uglyota
11-11-2008, 02:21 PM
If you get a new rig can you start a new build thread with a better title?

Eckert
11-11-2008, 07:50 PM
im not getting a new rig. i just need papers.

Reckless
11-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Ive had days like that:flipoff3:

Eckert
11-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Ive had days like that:flipoff3:

no one knew who you belong to?

Reckless
11-11-2008, 07:57 PM
different kind of papers

robertf03
11-11-2008, 07:58 PM
someone mistook you for a mexican? or you forgot to check the supplies and took a dump?

Reckless
11-11-2008, 08:01 PM
:rolleyes:

RCcola55
11-11-2008, 08:13 PM
no one knew who you belong to?

HAHAHAHA!

DRAGOONRANCH
11-12-2008, 12:42 AM
This thread brings the funnay :D

Eckert
11-13-2008, 12:22 AM
can i stab a complete 72 truck on top of my 79 frame? how far off are the body mounts?

Reckless
11-13-2008, 12:24 AM
hmm, shouldnt see a problem, just measure the mounts and go from there

BroncoJo
11-13-2008, 01:00 AM
can i stab a complete 72 truck on top of my 79 frame? how far off are the body mounts?

just do it

DRAGOONRANCH
11-13-2008, 01:01 AM
If it doesnt fit, cut old mounts off and make new ones...

Eckert
11-13-2008, 01:08 AM
****, didnt want to make it a big project. but the '72 is 10min from my house and only $200 with a title. looks like ill be busy over christmas break.

BroncoJo
11-13-2008, 01:11 AM
****, didnt want to make it a big project. but the '72 is 10min from my house and only $200 with a title. looks like ill be busy over christmas break.

bull ****, your a damn web wheeler and aint going to do ****.:flipoff2:

DRAGOONRANCH
11-13-2008, 01:35 AM
I would think pulling the cab, (possibly having to) fab four mounts, and bolting it back up wouldn't be too big of a deal. Wiring and steering/gas/brake/clutch linkages may take some time though.

Eckert
12-15-2008, 11:35 PM
thinking of getting a krew kab for more fun(damn peer pressure), but really like the look of this.

Seth
12-16-2008, 07:10 AM
very pigpen-ish.

KrazyKarl02
12-16-2008, 08:12 AM
thinking of getting a krew kab for more fun(damn peer pressure), but really like the look of this.

I would go for the krew kab, it pretty much defines modern off roading.

Sharpe
12-16-2008, 09:00 AM
I wish I had a krew kab sometimes...

Eckert
01-07-2009, 09:11 PM
bought a rear axle today to replace the POS 60 :D

J Cooper
01-07-2009, 11:37 PM
very pigpen-ish.

it looks like pig-pen had sex with the sanchez

william_ace
01-08-2009, 12:21 AM
does this mean it might actually get built?

Reckless
01-08-2009, 12:26 AM
it looks like pig-pen had sex with the sanchez

and was aborted:gigem::flipoff2:

Eckert
01-08-2009, 05:03 PM
does this mean it might actually get built?

slowly but surely.

Eckert
02-22-2009, 12:22 PM
i lied. i think its going to get cut the fawk up!

BroncoJo
02-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Since you got the new red truck, would you be interested in selling this one?

Do you get dumber at times?

All he did was park it and now that hes got the red truck he'll sneak up on it

Eckert
02-22-2009, 12:28 PM
hmmm, minus the axles. i guess we could work something out and throw the 44 & 9 under this one. it is currently registered, inspected, and street legal. every thing works. just has some rust issues on the cab.

Eckert
02-22-2009, 12:29 PM
Do you get dumber at times?

All he did was park it and now that hes got the red truck he'll sneak up on it

this one never got pawked fool. i guess i could sneak up on it, but the 76 doesnt need a heart or interior.

william_ace
02-22-2009, 12:49 PM
tyler, dont sneak up on it too hard. something might actually get done!

Eckert
02-22-2009, 12:50 PM
tyler, dont sneak up on it too hard. something might actually get done!

you should be the last one to comment!

i need to chat with yall about radius arms.

stx4wheeler
02-22-2009, 03:08 PM
12in longer with heims on the end, and plate the arms or just build new ones from tube

Eckert
10-28-2009, 01:06 AM

any idears where i can get a drop pitman arm at? all i can find is a $100 spacer for the J arm kingpin thingy or drop $400+ on cross over. i only need one for ~4" lift.

william_ace
10-28-2009, 08:18 AM
get travis to find you one on FSB

BroncoJo
10-28-2009, 08:43 AM
get travis to find you one on FSB

its not cross over

stx4wheeler
10-28-2009, 08:56 AM
I have one from a 76 for 4 inch lift I don't think it is the same spline as 78-79.
$20.00

Shaggy
10-29-2009, 09:15 AM
will the one off my 80 work... it is at Will's house right now

Eckert
10-29-2009, 05:20 PM
will the one off my 80 work... it is at Will's house right now

i need one for push/pull not crossover. so?

Eckert
11-18-2009, 07:24 PM
list for clayton:

mount up JB's old tires
install intake and 4BBL
weld rear
fix random oil leaks
maybe frivolous electronics such as radio, cb, etc
find a cooler to mount behind back seat
decide on a name

BroncoJo
11-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Trogdor

KrazyKarl02
11-18-2009, 11:21 PM
Ragnar!

DRAGOONRANCH
11-19-2009, 02:43 AM
Delta Deuce

jerryg79
11-19-2009, 06:40 AM
Ragnar!

Hail Ragnar!

stx4wheeler
11-19-2009, 08:53 AM
Title thief

KrazyKarl02
11-19-2009, 11:43 AM
Hail Ragnar!

Give praise to Ragnar, King of the Danish!

Eckert
11-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Give praise to Ragnar, King of the Danish!

hmm...or...

http://aerodesign.okstate.edu/projects/kittyhawk%20Page/A_dragon.png

BroncoJo
11-19-2009, 02:21 PM
The Burninator!

Eckert
12-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Just dropped $400 on the engine.

robby, its on. all hail the mighty medium block

:blackflipoff2:

colman
12-07-2009, 11:40 PM
its still a small block

BroncoJo
12-08-2009, 09:03 AM
its still a small block

but is shares more parts with the big block

colman
12-08-2009, 10:25 AM
i'm just trying to chip away at his manhood little by little

DRAGOONRANCH
12-08-2009, 11:04 AM
i'm just trying to chip away at his manhood little by little

A trip to the dentist could fix that..

http://blog.nola.com/bicycleyarn/large_chipped-tooth.gif

colman
12-08-2009, 09:23 PM
zing

Eckert
12-10-2009, 08:02 PM
where do i buy D-rings at in this town? gooseneck?

TMatheaus
12-10-2009, 08:06 PM
tractor supply

Seth
12-10-2009, 09:48 PM
i wanna say i saw some in the sale paper for harbor freight. 3 bucks? otherwise, tsc. or grainger. or fastenal.

Eckert
12-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Harbor Freight- looked like cheesy crap as always

Fastenal- couldnt find any

Grainger- $23-woh!

TSC- think it matters between ($8)5/8" or ($12)3/4"?

DRAGOONRANCH
12-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Harbor Freight- looked like cheesy crap as always

Fastenal- couldnt find any

Grainger- $23-woh!

TSC- think it matters between ($8)5/8" jeep/yota or ($12)3/4" fullsize?

:beer:

Eckert
12-12-2009, 02:01 AM
got the intake and q-jet on. running, but needs to be fine tuned. getting the wheels and tires put together in the morning, then i can work on the shackle flip, hopefully front springs too... but i doubt it.

Eckert
12-22-2009, 10:25 PM
My Blue Dodge is totaled. But is being bought back and rebuilt. so for about the next two months ill be DD this. Good thing it already had the pvssy magnet installed.

Seth
12-22-2009, 10:42 PM
red x for me

stx4wheeler
12-22-2009, 11:07 PM
Linky no worky

uglyota
12-23-2009, 09:54 AM
Good thing it already had the pvssy magnet installed.

you must have hidden it really well!

Eckert
12-23-2009, 01:19 PM
you must have hidden it really well!

I stole it from the Ugly Truck while you weren't looking:flipoff2:

uglyota
12-23-2009, 01:27 PM
ah well in that case you can keep it. that one doesn't work anyway :D

BroncoJo
12-23-2009, 01:32 PM
need before and after pictures of blue dodge.

Eckert
12-31-2009, 04:42 PM
think a lunchbox locker will be tolerable with push-pull?

soon as i sell my doubler im thinking about buying a spartan locker off pirate for $285.

BroncoJo
12-31-2009, 05:15 PM
I got your stuff from frick.

Eckert
12-31-2009, 05:20 PM
I got your stuff from frick.

frick is da man.

Eckert
01-05-2010, 12:59 AM
the distributor broke, all components are still good though. i do not have the coin for MSD, billet, etc. plus i have two extra new ignition modules. HEI just seems like it would complicate things.

looking up cheap solutions, so i go with something like this:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/A1C0/302893.oap?year=1979&make=Ford&model=F-350&vi=1125964&keyword=distributor&partType=02780&parentPartType=C0334

ive never seen this, but its cheap and exactly what broke, i think its the right piece?:

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?A=MPEFA151SB_0139352308&An=599001+101979+50028+2028036

colman
01-05-2010, 01:23 AM
if all you broke is the 6 dollar piece then why waste your money, just fix the cheap part

Eckert
01-05-2010, 01:43 AM
if all you broke is the 6 dollar piece then why waste your money, just fix the cheap part

cause im still in austin trying to figure out whats going on. Weldor is working on it, from what i understand, thats all thats wrong with it. i told him to take the dizzy to napa, point, and say i need this.

colman
01-05-2010, 02:03 AM
have him take the part number from online with him

Eckert
01-23-2010, 08:41 PM
****ty series of events today led me to installing:

electric fuel pump and MSD ignition.

i have to say that O'reilys is the only place i will ever by parts from again. They hooked me up on the MSD and tomorrow im going to start a TAMOR account. appearently the sports car club doesnt have one there either, so he just priced matched a bogus amount from vatozone.

BroncoJo
01-23-2010, 09:08 PM
****ty series of events today led me to installing:

electric fuel pump and MSD ignition.

i have to say that O'reilys is the only place i will ever by parts from again. They hooked me up on the MSD and tomorrow im going to start a TAMOR account. appearently the sports car club doesnt have one there either, so he just priced matched a bogus amount from vatozone.

Did you hook up a fuel regulator and is manual pump still in operation?

robertf03
01-23-2010, 11:02 PM
They hooked me up on the MSD and tomorrow im going to start a TAMOR account. appearently the sports car club doesnt have one there either, so he just priced matched a bogus amount from vatozone.

sounds like you were dealing with a retard that can't look up discounts or do price matching.

good luck with the msd, keep a snuff can lid and hei module in the glove box.

colman
01-24-2010, 11:24 AM
do you have an extra rear cab window for a 79 sitting around. my neighbor needs one. i bet frick does

stx4wheeler
01-24-2010, 01:36 PM
do you have an extra rear cab window for a 79 sitting around. my neighbor needs one. i bet frick does

Negative I don't have a back window. Most of my crap cane from bronco's not trucks.

BroncoJo
01-24-2010, 04:44 PM

I do

colman
01-24-2010, 05:01 PM
how much, my neighbors truck was broken into and they broke the sliding beer window

TdmayfieldIV
01-24-2010, 05:55 PM
hey frick do you have rear interior panels from a bronco that you want to sell?

sorry to steal this thread eckert

Eckert
01-24-2010, 05:58 PM
sounds like you were dealing with a retard that can't look up discounts or do price matching

pretty sure i did get a badass discount?

anyways. Going to bypass the manual fuel pump all together tomorrow along with running a fuel pressure regulator.

colman, its a solid window, not sliding. and i dont have any spares.

BroncoJo
01-24-2010, 06:18 PM
If he wants solid window, he can come get it.

Eckert
04-13-2010, 08:27 AM
high steer arms:

good, bad, ugly? springless? learn me. which brands to stay away from?

DRAGOONRANCH
04-13-2010, 08:55 AM
what axle?

85cj7
04-13-2010, 08:58 AM
because he said spring less I can only guess d-60 kingpin.

bcolman
04-13-2010, 09:37 AM
its for a dana 60, he is giong to do crossover on the 79 ford and wheel it

colman
04-13-2010, 11:01 AM
ive finally convinced him to do the 2 or three little things it needs and wheel it and stop trying to build another one like i was doing for a while. shoulda spent the energy on the cj. live and learn

DRAGOONRANCH
04-13-2010, 11:17 AM
mad4wd is what I have on mine. Seem to be a decent deal.

Reckless
04-13-2010, 12:01 PM
id go ballistic fab.

RCcola55
04-13-2010, 12:51 PM
HOLY ****!!!!!!! for once i agree with rowdy:confused:, go ballistic

AggieTJ2007
04-13-2010, 01:13 PM
I have ballistic arms and I really like them

85cj7
04-13-2010, 02:16 PM
ballistic here as well (d-44 though, not the 60 arms in question).

Sharpe
04-13-2010, 03:54 PM
I used WFO arms. Springless but have adjustable kingpin pre-load via threaded studs. Since heavy trucks have been doing it this way for decades I will assume it is better. And they are competitively priced.

bcolman
04-13-2010, 03:58 PM
i am also running the wfo ones and have had no problems with them

Reckless
04-13-2010, 06:14 PM
the ballistic arms are springless and come with arp studs

Eckert
04-15-2010, 12:59 AM
thinking of a bed similar to this:

i like the retro wood deck

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=475667&stc=1&d=1256778067

KrazyKarl02
04-15-2010, 07:19 AM
Bed looks pimp, except for the different size boards. I am guessing he used some smaller ones because he did not think of how many 2x6's it would take to fill it.

I like how it necks down in the back, but his rear bumper kind of makes the neck down pointless.

DRAGOONRANCH
04-15-2010, 08:20 AM
along with the dual receiver hitches. :D

Eckert
04-25-2010, 05:31 PM
looks like i need:

more lift
hi steer/hydro assist/full hydro
front lockah
and im torn between 5.38's or doubler

Eckert
04-25-2010, 05:34 PM
the sanchez had the same problem:flipoff2:

but alteast his live tire was on that side and the forty-twos dug him out.

JB
04-25-2010, 07:18 PM
The Donkey entered the same hole, but did not suffer the same fate :flipoff2:

DRAGOONRANCH
04-25-2010, 11:30 PM
looks like i need:

more lift
hi steer/hydro assist/full hydro
front lockah
and im torn between 5.38's or doubler

go doubler first, it opens up a new world of wheeling. If you can afford it, go full hydro right off the bat, you will be money ahead. ask me how i knw...

Hot Pocket
04-27-2010, 04:12 PM
ouch. any body damage, or is that just mud goo?

Eckert
04-27-2010, 05:46 PM
screwed up the grille a little and took out the turn signal.

Eckert
04-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Going to order these. Don't think i can beat $190 shipped. Thinking about buying a set of diff covers from them too.

now all i need is that damn convented f150 pitman arm.

http://inlinethumb33.webshots.com/44832/2234941410080149338S425x425Q85.jpg

85cj7
04-27-2010, 08:46 PM
you need a ford truck pitman arm? I have one! Let me know if you want to check it out.

its the one on the bottom
http://tamor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=241619&postcount=3

AggieTJ2007
04-27-2010, 09:17 PM
do they come with new studs for that price?

Eckert
04-27-2010, 09:57 PM
do they come with new studs for that price?

yeah, ARP's

Eckert
04-30-2010, 06:01 PM
Drove it to Austin and back. Averaged 11 mpg running 70.

colman
04-30-2010, 07:29 PM
so was that by the odo which is probably off or gps type instruments

AggieTJ2007
04-30-2010, 07:35 PM
yeah, ARP's

damn that is a good deal