PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Screwed Me!!!

sammybeast
07-06-2008, 09:41 AM
Yep... under warranty... but dodge ****ed me royally. This is alot of reading, but check out how they screwed me and spread the news. I have 72,000mi on it and this being the 3rd time an injector has blown (one at 31k and another at 49k mi) I brought it into the dealer for a now expected "regular" injector change. a week later they called and said that the injector had been stuck open and melted the piston and block, spent a piece of the piston out through the turbo and out the exhaust and I would be getting a brand new motor and turbo. So that sounded good, a new motor and all I have to pay for is the motor oil, that was 2 mos ago... After alot of bull****, Chrysler sent there "supertech" out who said it would not be warranted due to having and "aftermarket" fuel filter installed that a Mobile 1 center had installed with my last oil change. After going to the lube place and talking to there filter rep who told me that it is illegal for Dodge to do that, I told Dodge that they couldn’t do that, and they came back with "we just feel the truck has not been maintained" regardless of the fact that I had provided them with every receipt from 2005 on and ALL maintenance had been done by professionals within the recommendations in the manual. A new motor and tranny would cost almost $20,000 installed. Anyways after some blackmailing and tons of research, I found that this is a normal act for Chrysler. I got a hold of the number to the central U.S. customer service manager who I had my boss call as the truck is a company vehicle, and he was told very rudely that they basically do not care about repeat business regardless of the fact that our business has 3 Dodges and buy 1-2 trucks per year. This guy did not give a ****! They would not give us any of there reports, nor give us a real reason why they "felt it had not been maintained" and told us "bring your lawyers" So after a week or so of fighting with anyone we could at Chrysler and trying to get the motor (that was sitting at the dealership) installed, we went to our insurance. We could turn in a claim against Dodge and have them pay for a used motor and they would go after Dodge to get it paid for. So the insurance sent out an adjuster who approved a used motor and turbo, that was 3 weeks ago... The Dealership in Corpus Christi, E.H Green Motors, where the truck is apparently found, ordered, and picked up the WRONG motor. After not touching the truck for a week because apparently they had a sick "tech" they went to stab the tranny, and saw that the splines on the crankshaft were different because in 2005 they used 2 different manual tranny's. It took the dealer another week and a half (so far) to be able to COMMUNICATE to the parts finder what they needed exactly, so we could get the truck running again. Well that’s about where we are at now. No motor still and the truck is 4 hours from College Station and I have not had a ride in 2 mos. They are getting a complete motor and turbo, so really how hard is it to order the right one, drop it in, tighten a couple of bolts and connect a wire harness. Anyways, when the truck is running, it is awesome, but it doesn’t do that for too long, and after this **** from Dodge, I don't even want to be seen in one. Share the news with anyone you can and let me know if you have any input or questions. Thanks--Aaron

DRAGOONRANCH
07-06-2008, 09:45 AM
Man, that's super ****ty.

I call shenanigans....

DRAGOONRANCH
07-06-2008, 09:48 AM
Oh, and

R

http://www.tamor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10270 :flipoff2:

jerryg79
07-06-2008, 10:00 AM
find a company that will essentially replace your truck without bickering and grasping at straws for reasons not to, and I'll kiss your ass.

I've heard stories just like this about all of the Big 3 (I bought a Lemon, Hillshire Ford can't fix it, FOMOCO won't fix it), and I think even toyota.

I'm surprised they didnt blame the chip. Seems that would've been my first argument if I were them.

The Magnuson-Mass act or something like that (i think) says they can't just say no to a warranty claim, they have to prove that it actually caused the problem. If you take them to court you may be able to go after them for court costs as well. I may be talking out of my ass here though, and I still can't see why they didnt blame the chip.

Have you contacted cummins?

sammybeast
07-06-2008, 10:15 AM
I have the Godzillia chip and they can't ditect it. Cummins said that I have to go through Dodge.

Jackasic
07-06-2008, 11:08 AM
VW lemon lawed a car for me, but the dealer had my back.

DRAGOONRANCH
07-06-2008, 11:25 AM
36k limit on the lemon last i checked

EDIT: Went back and reread, you might have a case since the first one went out at only 31K.

BroncoJo
07-06-2008, 11:44 AM
not that I can add anything helpful here, but:

I know of two examples where the manufacture bought back trucks. One of my buddies had a 6.0 (chipped and driven the hell out of) that a **** ton of problems but when the 2nd motor went at 40-50k ford basically gave him all his money back and a good deal on another new ford.

Also my aunt and uncle had the kodiac chevy (5500 or 6500), 4 door, western hauler and everything else you could waste money on to drag a 44 foot 3 horse trailer around the country. They broke down almost every trip and after about 20,000-30,000 mile, chevy basically traded them for a 3500 western hauler dually. Kinda got screwed since they went from a ~$70,000 to a truck worth about~$40,000.

Seth
07-06-2008, 10:02 PM
I am not a dodge tech, but I would guess they can "see" your chip and it very well may be at the bottom of your problems. I would guess that a reflash shows up, the info that a factory scanner can pick up these days is ridiculous. I will have to ask next time I am at South Plains. I am amazed you aren't even a little skeptical of the chip. I 'm sorry, but I don't think you got screwed, you modified a truck from what they warranty, it malfunctioned, they don't cover it.

uglyota
07-06-2008, 10:11 PM
I don't know a lot about this diesel bidness, but I'm pretty sure a computer flash shouldn't cause an injector to stick open

Eckert
07-06-2008, 10:21 PM
the CRD's are known for injector problems. IIRC the quadzilla is a pressure box(which is why its selectable on the fly, like a edge EZ, etc). which could lead to the injectors failing prematurely. so yeah, you might have shot yourself in the foot.

the only thing that i know that isnt dectable is the mads smarty, which is its selling point. all boxes are dectectable when they look further. what they mean by 'detectable' are the 'keys' that are erased/changed when you use a programmer, like my bully dog. the computer stores fuel maps and the such and they can tell if you had a pressure/fuel box on the truck or not. the exhaust and bumper covered in soot is pretty evident too.

did they replace all the injectors under warrenty? or jus the one? how long did you drive with a blown injector? how long have you had the box on there? you should have noticed alot more smoke, haze while driving, etc before it got so hot it melted it. which leads me to believe you never had guages installed.

im not saying its your fault, the design has its flaws and are well known(atleast on the gay diesel forums). but there is some fault on your end also.

DRAGOONRANCH
07-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Quick question, was the chip still in it when you took it there?

Seth
07-06-2008, 11:11 PM
Eric, see Eckert, Tuners change all kinds of stuff about fueling and an injector failed. nuff said.

uglyota
07-06-2008, 11:23 PM
I would consider an injector sticking open to be far different from burning a piston due to the injector being open for an increased duration. But like I said, I'm no diesel ricer

Eckert
07-06-2008, 11:40 PM
I would consider an injector sticking open to be far different from burning a piston due to the injector being open for an increased duration. But like I said, I'm no diesel ricer

that comment makes absolutely no sense to me. so i confirm the latter part.

the increased fuel from the blown injector running wild caused the temps to get out of control, thus melting the piston.

you realize that the cummins injectors are 'popped' by fuel pressure? and the newer ones have a common rail that has pressure in the ballpark of 20,000+ PSI. when his quad increased the pressure, more fuel=more powa, he was testing the life of the injectors, which already suck. he admitted that the injector stuck open, it basically got wore out. so i blame the quad. which is probably what Dodge is doing after they went,"this guy is in here for the third time for injectors? he melted the truck? maybe we ought to check further into this before we eat the bill again.... screw this guy, he had a box, sucks for him..."

TexTJ209
07-07-2008, 07:08 AM
find a company that will essentially replace your truck without bickering and grasping at straws for reasons not to, and I'll kiss your ass.

I've heard stories just like this about all of the Big 3 (I bought a Lemon, Hillshire Ford can't fix it, FOMOCO won't fix it), and I think even toyota.

I'm surprised they didnt blame the chip. Seems that would've been my first argument if I were them.

The Magnuson-Mass act or something like that (i think) says they can't just say no to a warranty claim, they have to prove that it actually caused the problem. If you take them to court you may be able to go after them for court costs as well. I may be talking out of my ass here though, and I still can't see why they didnt blame the chip.

Have you contacted cummins?

Correct. They have to PROVE that the aftermarket part they say caused the problem, actually caused the problem.

Is this the E.H. Green in Odem?

sammybeast
07-07-2008, 10:45 PM
I have the report that the dealer took stating that there "is no signs of performance enhancers in duty cycle or trip monitors". There were also "signs of other injector problems on #4 & #5 piston heads". I installed the chip about 5,000 miles after i blew the first injector, at about 37,000 miles. The ****ty part is that a buddy of mine was using the truck towing his broken down Jeep from College Station to Corpus Christi at night when I was out of town, and so he wasn't used to the truck.

sammybeast
07-07-2008, 10:59 PM
Yep in Odem

Graystroke
07-07-2008, 11:35 PM
it's kinda funny dodge always advertises they have one of the best warranties. I certainly would not settle for a junkyard motor that you have know idea on how it was serviced.
I would take it to another dealer... All I can say is get the direct number of the regional service rep and wear out his phone....And then wear out his boss's phone. Everyday. Then start calling from other numbers.

Graystroke
07-07-2008, 11:41 PM
Is the dealer way over on Warranty hours or in deep do do on another totally unrelated issue w/ another truck. You know they are budgeted on warranty hours and $$ spent on warranty on monthly/quarterly basis. When they go over the manufacturer starts cutting back severely on quarterly payouts/bonus/holdbacks. Which to a lot of dealers is the only way they make money on sales. The other way is customer pay service repairs.

sammybeast
07-07-2008, 11:43 PM
We did get ahold of the regional customer service and customer retention rep, Paul Sweeney (central U.S) and could not get to anyone higher. He is not too happy that we have his direct line:) Myself, my boss, my dad, and my insurance agent have all put in many calls to the rep too. anyone else want to call him? I have his direct line. All you get when you call Chrysler is they just have you talking to some Indians on the other side of the world who barely speak english.

bburris
07-07-2008, 11:51 PM
EH Green has sucked since I can remember, this doesn't surprise me at all.

Graystroke
07-08-2008, 12:42 AM
call fox 4 news and tell them what's buggin' you!
seriously though, I would contact the news...may be difficult if they advertise on that channel.

Sharpe
07-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Fox news doesnt exist down souf. Its all about K-III TV-3!

Seth
07-08-2008, 08:15 AM
The ****ty part is that a buddy of mine was using the truck towing his broken down Jeep from College Station to Corpus Christi at night when I was out of town, and so he wasn't used to the truck.

This gets better and better. So he was towing with a chip on, who knows what the EGTs were (you do have guages, right?) and you still feel entitled? I'm not saying that you can't get something out of the deal, but saying you got screwed is a bit much. I guess Flem better start making those reperations he has talked about, they kinda got screwed too.

DRAGOONRANCH
07-08-2008, 08:30 AM
This gets better and better. So he was towing with a chip on, who knows what the EGTs were (you do have guages, right?) and you still feel entitled? I'm not saying that you can't get something out of the deal, but saying you got screwed is a bit much. I guess Flem better start making those reperations he has talked about, they kinda got screwed too.

While I can understand both sides of this, if they put it on paper that there were no tuners involved, I believe he has a good case. Reperations, schmeperations. :flipoff2:

uglyota
07-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Was there any hypnosis involved in that ASE certification class you took, Seth?

Seth
07-08-2008, 11:53 AM
*** no

its just the diesel tuner mentality that gets me

DRAGOONRANCH
07-08-2008, 12:28 PM
so it's fine to put a chip on a truck, or to upgrade FI injectors on a gasoline, but just because it doesn't take much more than a little electronic tweak to get loads of more power out of a diesel you get all jealous??? :rolleyes:

we can kiss and make up later. :blackwink:

robertf03
07-08-2008, 12:51 PM
I guess Flem better start making those reperations he has talked about, they kinda got screwed too.

You were there when I gave away a slice of pizza, I've settled up my tab.

Real rigs drive home.

JB
07-08-2008, 02:42 PM
*** no

its just the diesel tuner mentality that gets me

join my revolution!:D

BroncoJo
07-08-2008, 02:47 PM
join my revolution!:D

Don't you have a tuner on your truck?

I also agree that if you put on a tuner (and without gauges) you should expect to fix your own **** ups. Now I'm not saying to give up, its just the "I got screwed" mentality that gets me.

jerryg79
07-08-2008, 02:54 PM
a warranty is a contract for both parties, you failed to hold up your side of the deal by modifiying the truck "underhandedly", but now youre mad cause dodge wants to crawfish? Makes sense.

Im sure dodge and the others are sick of replacing engines for ricers and are trying their hardest to get out any and every warranty claim.

Reckless
07-08-2008, 03:10 PM
I know that Cheverolet will not honor the engine warranty if they find the turbo pitted. Thats a dead give away for a tuner.

Doug Krebs
07-08-2008, 03:34 PM
I can see chipping a gas truck to get a little more power or better shifts. However, at least for most of us, you'll never need a little more power in a diesel for towing.

Reckless
07-08-2008, 03:38 PM
But it is nice with that extra bit of power. Trans doesnt down shift as much, passing a breeze and makes pulling up a hill easier. I pull with the Edge at level 2 (+50hp) and it makes life alot easier with a trailer.

BroncoJo
07-08-2008, 03:49 PM
I can see chipping a gas truck to get a little more power or better shifts. However, at least for most of us, you'll never need a little more power in a diesel for towing.

That doesn't make any sence to me.

My biggest thing was milage, which has improved on my own truck.

Doug Krebs
07-08-2008, 03:57 PM
That doesn't make any sence to me.

My biggest thing was milage, which has improved on my own truck.

For instance, I have a 1996 F150 with a 4.9l and a 5 speed. It barely tows a jeep on a trailer acceptably and I'm using that loosely. It could probably stand to have some help. However, when my brother uses his dually to tow his 30ft 5th wheel, etc... His truck doesn't need any help.

I'll admit some cases with diesels could benefit powerwise, but probably not most of us.

I'd almost like to call bs with the mileage. How many times do you hammer the crap out of it and loose the mileage you gain in other situations.

Sharpe
07-08-2008, 04:09 PM
I could use a tuner for more power on the crewcab. While towing Pigpen, the go-fitty-fo spends at least 80% of the time above 3500 rpm :laughing:

BroncoJo
07-08-2008, 04:19 PM
For instance, I have a 1996 F150 with a 4.9l and a 5 speed. It barely tows a jeep on a trailer acceptably and I'm using that loosely. It could probably stand to have some help. However, when my brother uses his dually to tow his 30ft 5th wheel, etc... His truck doesn't need any help.

I'll admit some cases with diesels could benefit powerwise, but probably not most of us.

I'd almost like to call bs with the mileage. How many times do you hammer the crap out of it and loose the mileage you gain in other situations.

So your just saying that a gas motor NEEDS the power and someone with a diesel WANTS the power.? To me more power is the same however you look at it, its not needed but can make driving more enjoyable/better.

I have yet to get below 15 since with my new tunes, no long hauls just boats and such. Before the best i was getting was 15 and averaged 13 with any city of towing.

Doug Krebs
07-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Thats pretty much what I'm saying. If I had a brand new car of any kind I wouldn't do chit to void the warranty.

Seth
07-08-2008, 07:20 PM
so it's fine to put a chip on a truck, or to upgrade FI injectors on a gasoline, but just because it doesn't take much more than a little electronic tweak to get loads of more power out of a diesel you get all jealous??? :rolleyes:

we can kiss and make up later. :blackwink:

I didn't even see the black text until I quoted you. If this same situation happened on a gas motor, I would have the exact same opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I like chips on anything, it's amazing what a diff they can make. I will say that I am more drawn to banks than bully dog, if that is any indicator. Superchips and Edge seem to have some good stuff.

I like to read the diesel mags where some guy melts his motor, then builds the hell out of it "since he was in there" :gigem:

DRAGOONRANCH
07-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Thats pretty much what I'm saying. If I had a brand new car of any kind I wouldn't do chit to void the warranty.

But this was his work truck we are talkin about, why would you mod out your work truck with out true benefits in mind. Bombing work vehicles is just dumb, that would be like putting stacks on your polaris ranger you drive around. :rolleyes:

Yall are all jumping to conclusions here anyways. How many of you have ever even riden with Aaron? Yall are all assuming he drives it like he stole it. Maybe he drives it like a granny and something else actually caused this? Hmm, lets see here....

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f192/DRAGOONRANCH/Stupid/jumping_to_conclusions.jpg

But if you want to, here is some help. ;)

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f192/DRAGOONRANCH/Stupid/jump-to-conclusions-door-mat.jpg

DRAGOONRANCH
07-08-2008, 11:04 PM
I like to read the diesel mags where some guy melts his motor, then builds the hell out of it "since he was in there" :gigem:

The technology has to come from somewhere, and if there wasn't guys wanting some easy extra 'plug and play' horses under the hood then this wouldn't even be a discussion. There are some folks that get lumped into the whole diesel/ricer thing when all they wanted was to try to increase their mileage. Saying this, I do want to state that I have had two motor related issues (more than likely) caused by a Banks Six Gun and a very heavy foot (which I like to blame my brother for :) ). All I have to say is thank goodness for waranties and cool ass service writers and mechanics. :gigem:

bcolman
07-08-2008, 11:18 PM
i have ridden with him many times and he doesnt goose it, to much, but then again most of the times i was riding with him he had a trailer behind him

JB
07-08-2008, 11:40 PM
So your just saying that a gas motor NEEDS the power and someone with a diesel WANTS the power.? To me more power is the same however you look at it, its not needed but can make driving more enjoyable/better.

I have yet to get below 15 since with my new tunes, no long hauls just boats and such. Before the best i was getting was 15 and averaged 13 with any city of towing.

I have a tuner for better shift points. I haul more weight than the majority of diesel drivers on this board at 75mph. I do not NEED more power. If I WANTED more power, I would not WANT to pay $5/gallon for it.

I respect farmer Joe hauling a dozen hay balesIdo not respect redneck bubba in his Dodge dually covered in marker lights with an exhaust pipe large enough to put my head in and a "git 'r dun'" bumper sticker, blowing smoke down Texas hauling nothing but empty Keystone cans.

Varsity has never given me a problem about my Edge. When I burned up the transmission at 70k under warranty due to rocking it in the mud, they tried to give me **** about the mud, not the programmer that had the shift points at +2. I knew it was my fault, but argued just regular wear/tear. They fixed it under warranty with ver little arguing on my part.

If I was a service rep at Dodge, I would be wary of this diesel ricer fad too. Is this your truck? or your boss's?

goddamnit how do you turn off over-write on Internet Explorer.

Sharpe
07-09-2008, 05:55 AM
goddamnit how do you turn off over-write on Internet Explorer.

"Insert" button

mudtoy67
07-09-2008, 06:42 AM
While we're on the subject, saw this gem in Port A this weekend. Complete with rattling flapper. :laughing:

JeepPhisherman
07-09-2008, 06:49 AM
Nice!

jerryg79
07-09-2008, 06:56 AM
While we're on the subject, saw this gem in Port A this weekend. Complete with rattling flapper. :laughing:

that passenger has to eat some smoke when he gets on it:gigem:

Zoomie on a diesel, always klassy.

bburris
07-09-2008, 07:20 AM
How do you open the hood?

JeepPhisherman
07-09-2008, 07:34 AM
How do you open the hood?

Let the dealership worry about that.

BroncoJo
07-09-2008, 07:46 AM
Let the dealership worry about that.

:laughing::laughing:

sammybeast
07-09-2008, 08:36 AM
So do you live by your own rules? If you purposely went one MPH over the speed limit because you felt that it was ok to do (chip) and everyone else is going faster than you (about everyone I have ever known run some sort of motor mod), would YOU go to the closest cop shop and tell them what you did and to take your license (warranty) away?

If you answered yes, sorry, but you’re a dumb ass and would never drive a vehicle, if you answered no, then I prove my point.

I too used the chip at the lowest setting at all times to gain 4+MPG and turned it up no more than 3 or 4 times since I’ve had it because the stock clutch cannot hold the power and would glaze over the clutch and I would have to baby it for weeks after. The first injector blew before I had ever installed the chip.

sammybeast
07-09-2008, 08:41 AM
The largest Dodge dealer in the world, located in Idaho, Dave Smith Motors, will install this chip on a new truck. If they are the ones to install it, they will honor the warranty. When I bought my truck from them in 2005 and another truck from them in 2006, both times they offered the chip add-on at the time of purchase as an upgrade along with bed liners, exhaust, and lift kits. Before I purchased this unit, I called and talked to a service manager to get a recommendation on brand and model and he confirmed that this chip would not cause any motor problems.

Also, I drive it like a baby, between Diesel costs and only being allowed to get tires every 40K miles, I have to conserve. I drive the truck harder when pulling a trailer (colman). I have not broke the tires loose or raced anyone for over a year.

DRAGOONRANCH
07-09-2008, 08:43 AM
You are wasting your breath, you have been lumped in with the likes of Robby and that is a stink you will never get off....

:flipoff2:

Sharpe
07-09-2008, 08:44 AM
I would be hesitant to mod the engine of a new truck for the simple reason that if there were a way to improve power and mileage WITHOUT ****ING SOMETHING UP the manufacturer probably would have done it themselves.

DRAGOONRANCH
07-09-2008, 08:47 AM
The big limiting factor on the diesels nowdays is the emissions. They have to keep it 'leaned' out to meet the stringent emissions standards. But who gives a crap about emissions. :D

TexTJ209
07-09-2008, 09:09 AM
I would be hesitant to mod the engine of a new truck for the simple reason that if there were a way to improve power and mileage WITHOUT ****ING SOMETHING UP the manufacturer probably would have done it themselves.

Is that why my truck has a rough idle due to them detuning it to meet gay emissions? :flipoff2:

CheapJeep
07-09-2008, 11:25 AM
You are wasting your breath, you have been lumped in with the likes of Robbie and that is a stink you will never get off....

Easy now...let's not toss names around so carelessly. With all the other diesel owners with tuners on the board I'd rather not be the only scapegoat for JB's ransacking. I have to say that I do agree with him on the diesel rice thing getting a little out of hand. But since I haul feed, a dozen bails of hay, and horse trailers for my mom I must not be lumped in with that crowd.:D

DRAGOONRANCH
07-09-2008, 11:31 AM
I wouldn't have brought yours up if you weren't the only one who's name has ever been brought up on TDP when discussing clubs in college station. :flipoff2:

BroncoJo
07-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Easy now...let's not toss names around so carelessly. With all the other diesel owners with tuners on the board I'd rather not be the only scapegoat for JB's ransacking. I have to say that I do agree with him on the diesel rice thing getting a little out of hand. But since I haul feed, a dozen bails of hay, and horse trailers for my mom I must not be lumped in with that crowd.:D

Ya but you don't need that chip to do any of that:flipoff2:

sammybeast
07-09-2008, 01:16 PM
I used to haul 14,000+ lbs of material on a 3,000 lb trailer with my 9,500 lb truck in CA, and if you want to make it over the hills at a decent speed with this weight, this truck will not do it stock, the extra 60 HP makes a big differance. Not to mention the fact that it clearly runs better on the chip.

JB
07-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Never did I mention your name Robbie :flipoff2:

So before 'tuners' became the rage say 10 years ago, no one ever hauled heavy? Give me a break. You really need another 50lb/torque on top of the 600+ you already have? Didn't Chris LeDoux haul a horsetrailer on a Cadillac!

O, and don't blow soot my way :flipoff2:...http://65.82.88.80/SmokingVehicles/SmokingVehicleEnterSighting.dll/EXEC/0/0f0juvv1ebu0a91geftd01lpydi1

mudtoy67
07-09-2008, 02:34 PM
10 years ago didn't need tuners....all you had to do was turn adjust the pressure at the injector pump. I've saw quite a few trucks back then that had this done.

FJAggie07
07-09-2008, 02:35 PM
What is with the pissing match?

jerryg79
07-09-2008, 02:41 PM
What is with the pissing match?

uh, its the internet, duh!:)

JB
07-09-2008, 02:41 PM
This thread did get out of hand quickly. I think we need a thread summary.:D

I hope you get lucky and they fix it for you. A buddy of mine just bought a VW GTI and missed a shift or something when it was two days old. He took it back and they said it needed a motor and it was operator error. It ended up just bending a valve or something, but it was like 4k in repairs and it had 400 miles on it. His insurance company paid for it

FJAggie07
07-09-2008, 02:54 PM

I hope you get lucky and they fix it for you. A buddy of mine just bought a VW GTI and missed a shift or something when it was two days old. He took it back and they said it needed a motor and it was operator error. It ended up just bending a valve or something, but it was like 4k in repairs and it had 400 miles on it. His insurance company paid for it

Gotta love the Germans. :gigem:

BMFScout
07-09-2008, 03:01 PM
there is a red dodge near work that always gets on the on ramp in front of me somehow. He blows so much fawking smoke that you can't see the other cars. Fred and I used to catch up to him in the toyota and lay on the horn until he looked over so we could shoot him the bird. I report him on that website everytime I even see his truck on the road now. I have seen an emissions sniffer set up at the same on ramp, so I must not be the only one reporting his white trash ass. Blowing smoke is fawking retarded. (Unless of course, you are in downtown houston, late to a Krebs wedding, and you smog out some bicycle fags. Right St. John?)

Fredo
07-09-2008, 03:31 PM
****! That reminds me. That son of a ***** turned on town east this morning and hammered down on it and let out smoke like a turn of the century freighttrain. I was stuck at the light (**** you "grn man") and by the time it turned green, and I was able to go, the smoke was still thick enough that people were using caution in front of me driving through it. Excuse me, I have to go make a report.

jerryg79
07-09-2008, 03:34 PM
****! That reminds me. That son of a ***** turned on town east this morning and hammered down on it and let out smoke like a turn of the century freighttrain. I was stuck at the light (**** you "grn man") and by the time it turned green, and I was able to go, the smoke was still thick enough that people were using caution in front of me driving through it. Excuse me, I have to go make a report.

I just run mine stock, and throw a couple dollars out the window when i hammer on it, same difference.

FJAggie07
07-09-2008, 03:42 PM

I think somebody should write a letter!! :flipoff2:

EDIT: You sound like my wife.

Fredo
07-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Your wife sounds pretty cool to me! :flipoff2:

CheapJeep
07-09-2008, 05:11 PM
Never did I mention your name Robbie :flipoff2:

I know, just giving ya ****...:D

Seth
07-09-2008, 05:33 PM

He told me about that a few weeks ago, sucks. At least he still had the Toy to drive. I will prob give him **** about it every chance I get fo sho.

Graystroke
07-09-2008, 06:48 PM
edge makes programmers for gas motors? I'll have to check it out.

redcagepatrol
07-09-2008, 08:05 PM
I have a chip and use every last bit of that extra power while towing - especially when going into the wind like on the way back from Clayton this weekend with my rig, David's rig, and David's bike in tow

DRAGOONRANCH
07-09-2008, 10:05 PM
10 years ago didn't need tuners....all you had to do was turn adjust the pressure at the injector pump. I've saw quite a few trucks back then that had this done.

or throw a bigger turbo on. Folks have been trying to get more power out of their vehicles ever since they first came about, it is just super easy now with all the plug and play electronics out there. I think some folks are just pissy that their gasoline engines are getting out run and out pulled by those 'old slow, smoky, smelly dirty diesels'. :flipoff2:

sasquatch
07-10-2008, 01:41 AM
moral of the story don't **** up a perfectly good truck with a gay programmer. :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2: :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

DRAGOONRANCH
07-10-2008, 05:37 AM
moral of the story don't **** up a perfectly good truck with a gay programmer

I once heard somebody use that argument about parachuting. I think it went like this; "Why would anyone want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane?"

To which an old Airborne buddy of mine replied; "There is no such thing as a "PERFECT"ly good airplane." ;)

Grandad's thoughts on the subject were that in his 26 years in B-47s and B-52s, he never had to use a parachute and never wanted to, but was always prepared to do so if the situation dictated. :D

sammybeast
07-10-2008, 07:17 AM
So basically Dodge, or should I say Cummins, under engeneered there motor to be used by the normal guy.
If the chip was the leading cause of the blown injectors, why did my first injector blow?

DRAGOONRANCH
07-10-2008, 08:12 AM
Logic is lost on this bunch at times. ;)

jerryg79
07-10-2008, 11:46 AM
So basically Dodge, or should I say Cummins, under engeneered there motor to be used by the normal guy.
If the chip was the leading cause of the blown injectors, why did my first injector blow?

if the motor was under-engineered, and you already blew an injector, why add a chip to increase the workload/strain on the injectors?

sammybeast
07-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Before I bought it I did alot of research and everything that I had read over 2 years ago and the dealer all said that it would not affect the motor and was nothing but good.

JB
07-10-2008, 11:37 PM
Wouldn't have happend to a gas truck.....
http://www.break.com/index/how-not-to-use-the-drive-through-atm.html

:flipoff2::flipoff2:

sasquatch
07-10-2008, 11:41 PM
holy ****

DRAGOONRANCH
07-11-2008, 01:10 AM
I don't think the type of fuel had anything to do with that. ;)

It being a dodge? Maybe...

Seth
07-11-2008, 01:25 AM
pause at 8 seconds, you can see how fvcked the truck got.

Eckert
07-12-2008, 02:01 PM

inferior design. dodge/cummins saw the problem and fixed in with the 06-07 trucks. which dont have the injector problems, or alteast to the extent that the 03-05 do. they covered it under a 100k mile warrenty, dont they?

Before I bought it I did alot of research and everything that I had read over 2 years ago and the dealer all said that it would not affect the motor and was nothing but good.

your research is lacking. the increaed pressure is a no-no for the early CRD cummins.

it all comes down to you let someone else borrow your truck. and they fvcked it up. because they had no idea what they were doing. they would have most likely replaced another blown injector. but the 'tard behind the wheel kept driving it. much like pulling over for a flat tire, but he kept driving till he ground down the rotor.

davido
07-13-2008, 11:11 PM
Also, I drive it like a baby, between Diesel costs and only being allowed to get tires every 40K miles, I have to conserve. I drive the truck harder when pulling a trailer (colman). I have not broke the tires loose or raced anyone for over a year.

I bet your buddy didn't show it the same love. Sucks that you're in a $20k predicament with a $40k truck. This is exacly why I have been reluctant to mess with mine. Still bone stock....

...but it'll still stomp Schubring's poop bucket. :flipoff2:

agjohn02
07-13-2008, 11:34 PM
I bet your buddy didn't show it the same love. Sucks that you're in a $20k predicament with a $40k truck. This is exacly why I have been reluctant to mess with mine. Still bone stock....

...but it'll still stomp Schubring's poop bucket. :flipoff2:

until it runs out of fuel:flipoff2:

davido
07-13-2008, 11:35 PM
Hey, that hasn't happened in at least 6 months. :)

DRAGOONRANCH
07-14-2008, 01:39 AM
until it runs out of fuel:flipoff2:

Don't go knockin' the truck for operator error. ;)

davido
07-14-2008, 03:02 PM
Although mostly true, I'd say it needs to share at least some of the blame. The small tank doesn't help, but the real kicker is that it will run smooth out before the light comes on. It's left me stranded when I wasn't paying attention to it. I've gotten use to carrying extra diesel when on big trips with the trailer. That's really the only thing that has sucked on that truck. Everything else has pretty much performed as it should.

Graystroke
07-14-2008, 03:42 PM
the next time you run out tow it home and replace the sending unit...the tsnk would be empty and easy to handle. :) would that fix the problem?

redcagepatrol
07-14-2008, 04:04 PM
I...but it'll still stomp Schubring's poop bucket. :flipoff2:
they made some pretty big improvements in Diesels since 1999... My truck only made 235 hp from the factory so it had to by fixed up a little to make it down the road with a full trailer...

I might buy a new one before the next major trip in the summer... or fix my AC

agjohn02
07-14-2008, 05:17 PM
Although mostly true, I'd say it needs to share at least some of the blame. The small tank doesn't help, but the real kicker is that it will run smooth out before the light comes on. It's left me stranded when I wasn't paying attention to it. I've gotten use to carrying extra diesel when on big trips with the trailer. That's really the only thing that has sucked on that truck. Everything else has pretty much performed as it should.

you try to wait until the light comes on to get fuel when pulling a trailer? no wonder! the light means you have 20 miles until empty. with a trailer, make that ten probably. try refueling when it drops below a half tank and before a quarter when you're loaded like i do and you wont have a problem.

davido
07-14-2008, 09:54 PM
you try to wait until the light comes on to get fuel when pulling a trailer?

No, this was empty. But sometimes I'm on the phone, in a hurry, or otherwise not paying attention until it's too late. I typically don't have to fill up that often.

try refueling when it drops below a half tank and before a quarter when you're loaded like i do and you wont have a problem.

Really? Thanks for that insight, I never thought of that before. I'll write that one down. :rolleyes:

Grayson, that's what a warranty is for. It's been there twice for it. Still an issue though. The last time with a trailer, it ran out showing just under 1/4 tank on a climb in CO. I think it was likely a pickup issue as much as anything.

Most of the bad rap came from the 1st trip to CO when I had the heaviest load and the smallest tank. Everyone always wanted to push to the next place, including me. We all got a lesson on how fast the 2nd half of the tank disappears. My digital range display is typically right on. I just had to learn to work with it.

When leaving Alma, I told Troy what I had, which was right at the distance to the end location for the night. He thought there would likely be a place in between or that I'd make it. There was not a single place open with diesel. I ran out 2 miles outside of town. Pretty much exactly where it had predicted 2+ hours before.

It's also been an issue finding places with diesel while travelling off major highways or late at night. I started carrying two fuel cans after the first trip. Hasn't been a real issue since. I've gotten good at using the hand primer. :gigem:

Graystroke
07-14-2008, 10:30 PM
so when it runs out and you refill it does it take 24 gal (I think that is what a short bed tank is) i.e is the tank really empty? If it's still under warranty I would take it in and tell them to replace it all. Replace the gauge, sending unit and the pick-up in the tank. If it is running out of fuel w/ a 1/4 tank (actually 6 gal remaining) have they checked the pick-up and made sure there is not a crack in the line and it isn't sucking air. I'm sure you already went through all that... that would really annoy me b/c I'm always running mine down to the light and I have a 37 gal tank...I should fill it more often, it would be less painful psychologically...

Which reminds me:
I'm w/ Mr. Brune and his presonal Gihad! I hate the damn auto cut offs at $75. I went inside one station and asked the lady at the register to show me a vehicle out at the pumps that could fill their tanks on $75 (they were all trucks and big SUV's). It was a waste of time. I showed her! I'm never going back! ayayayayayaya! Death to the infadels! Praise Allah!

eight
07-14-2008, 10:35 PM
My dodge only had 215hp and pulled 14K just fine, just had to put it in drive and let it spin. Got 14mph doing it too. Of course it hasn't pulled anything of substantial weight in the past 5 years.

Back in the really old days before we got turbos, there was no need to worry about loosing speed on hills or taking off slow. That's just what was expected. Still got where we were going. The old 7.3 sure pulled the D3 on the triple axle better than the carbed 351 did.

And now I have a ford with a 120hp or such programmer that will blow a mean cloud of smoke if I'm not careful. Maybe tomorrow I explore the tuning options. Need to tell it to wait until there's enough air to add fuel.

agjohn02
07-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Really? Thanks for that insight, I never thought of that before. I'll write that one down. :rolleyes:

pretty snooty for a guy thats run out of gas on the highway, what, a half dozen times? maybe you really should write it down.

redcagepatrol
08-16-2008, 10:31 PM
so I'm thinking about getting a new Dodge (need more room for the kiddo - and sometime future kiddo #2)

What year Dodge should I get? 06+ I guess? What if I want an automatic? Should I get the new engine / auto? I guess I should start my own thread...

My other option in a Duramax, I haven't heard too many people complain about them (unlike the Fords)

Graystroke
08-16-2008, 10:55 PM
Buy a Dmax...I think the demand is a lot less (you see fewer fleet/work Dmax's and they seem to have fewer miles on them)...most people just commute in them/are the weekend warrior type. They run pretty good and ride good. Apparently you can get them cheap b/c of the price of diesel. My friend took his '06 in to trade in on a half-ton and they offered him $15k! I told him I give him $16k ;) .His is a loaded LT (even has a sunroof) and only 30k miles on it. He kept it obviously. I imagine this is true on all diesels...

DRAGOONRANCH
08-16-2008, 11:37 PM
x 2 on the DMax, I love mine and it pulls like a freight train and the Allison pulls like a dream (and this coming from a die-hard stick guy ;) ). I have been hearing a bunch of folks here talk about getting into a used diesel just due to the low prices and availability. They have been saying the mileage is low on most of them also.

Reckless
08-16-2008, 11:45 PM
Ive got an 01 and its still running strong at 150k. The price of diesel here at home is $4.15

DRAGOONRANCH
08-16-2008, 11:48 PM
Hopefully in the next 23 days it will drop even more. :D