PDA

View Full Version : cutting torch kits?

J Cooper
08-08-2008, 10:29 AM
has anybody had any problems with the small cutting torch setups?

i know weston and robbie use them.

i like how they are small enough to take around anywhere and they do not take up alot of room.

KrazyKarl02
08-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Other than they eat gas, you are always filling bottles. To fill the small bottles it is damn the same as filling a big bottle.

J Cooper
08-08-2008, 10:40 AM
what is the price difference in the initial purchase with larger bottles vs. the smaller

the small kits go for like $300.

85cj7
08-08-2008, 12:20 PM
i bought a porta torch kit this summer, its mostly used for soldering and welding but it cuts 1/2" plate fine. like this one. . .

eight
08-08-2008, 12:30 PM
I've seen them at a pawn shop in town for $100-150. Its the same size torch I've been using for the past 15 years. I prefer the small ones and have cut up to 1" with them.

Larger bottles are expensive to buy. Most of us will never buy enough gas to cover the difference. Exceptions are those constantly scrapping trucks.

The ease of portability is also a nice benefit of the port-a-torch.

A new torch set (regulators, hose, torch with tips, and striker) is only $100-150.

DRAGOONRANCH
08-08-2008, 12:37 PM
These kits are nice, I would like to get one for trips myself. I have become a big proponent of the TSC bottle exchange program since they are open on Sundays. The cost difference of swapping their bottles and having one filled at a welding supply store is negligible, especially when you factor in not being able to get any gas after 5 p.m. on saturday most places and be stuck with an unfinished project you are trying to wrap up. :( The only time I have had trouble was when I took a bottle to the Temple store and they were out of that size, but they had one in Waco and I needed to go there anyways so the extra part of the trip was a wash.

85cj7
08-08-2008, 12:44 PM
i got mine for $50 bucks off craigslist, the regulator adjusting screw on the oxygen bottle had been broken off. So i easy outed it out and bought a new one at the local welding supply store for a couple bucks.

J Cooper
08-08-2008, 12:53 PM
i bought a porta torch kit this summer, its mostly used for soldering and welding but it cuts 1/2" plate fine. like this one. . .

Thats the one i was looking to get

I wont be cutting apart any trucks
if it can cut up to 1" that is more than what i would need it for

eight
08-08-2008, 01:00 PM
The pawn shop I saw them at had 3. May still be some there. I think it was somewhere around the memorial area outside 610. Maybe further west of there. South of 10 and north of Westheimer. East of 6.

J Cooper
08-08-2008, 01:20 PM
The pawn shop I saw them at had 3. May still be some there. I think it was somewhere around the memorial area outside 610. Maybe further west of there. South of 10 and north of Westheimer. East of 6.

do you think they were in working condition?

there are some pawn shops around my house, ill check them out

BMFScout
08-08-2008, 01:50 PM
They were probably working just fine when the mexicans stole them out of my brother-in-laws plumbing trailer.