PDA

View Full Version : Leaky injector

Doug Krebs
08-10-2008, 08:12 PM
The craptastic cavalier is leaking gas from the injector again. I replaced the o-rings a couple of months ago. Pretty simple process, but I can't figure out why it's leaking again.

Anyone have any experience with this other than selling the car?:flipoff2:

Sharpe
08-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Rtv

BroncoJo
08-10-2008, 10:16 PM
better o ring?

robertf03
08-10-2008, 10:21 PM
ask someone at NASA what to do

Doug Krebs
08-10-2008, 10:22 PM
I used actual o rings for the application. I bought the fel pro o ring set, so I actually have 3 more that were for the other injectors. I guess I'll just redo it tomorrow.

I can't see RTVing an injector in place, although it did cross my mind.

Doug Krebs
08-10-2008, 10:22 PM
ask someone at NASA what to do

oh snap! Don't launch below 60 degrees, thats what!

Reckless
08-10-2008, 10:24 PM
did you lube the o-rings before install. use vasoline or engine oil.

Doug Krebs
08-10-2008, 10:30 PM
did you lube the o-rings before install. use vasoline or engine oil.

Oh Rowdy, you can be assured I lubed them well! No one likes a dry o-ring.

Reckless
08-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Just making sure. Never know bout ya some times. Living in the middle class ghetto can mess with your mind. I was making sure that the o-ring didnt roll or tear when you installed it.

Doug Krebs
08-10-2008, 10:42 PM
Yeah, I don't know... I guess I'll just do it again.

Fredo
08-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Just making sure. Never know bout ya some times. Living in the middle class ghetto can mess with your mind. I was making sure that the o-ring didnt roll or tear when you installed it.

If it rolled or tore on install, wouldn't you think the leak would be instantaneous upon repressurization of the system? You might want to take a good look at the injector body and make sure the injector hasn't cracked and is leaking from there. How many miles are on this car?

Doug Krebs
08-11-2008, 10:59 AM
If it rolled or tore on install, wouldn't you think the leak would be instantaneous upon repressurization of the system? You might want to take a good look at the injector body and make sure the injector hasn't cracked and is leaking from there. How many miles are on this car?

140K I'll take it out tonight and look it over good.

Doug Krebs
08-12-2008, 11:37 PM
Pinche cavalier! You almost burned to the ground tonight! I guess it wasn't your time to meet jesus. We shall meet again tomorrow at 7:00.

KrazyKarl02
08-13-2008, 07:21 AM
Let me expand on Doug's post. I conversed with him on the telephone last night. He was putting RTV on the injectors (I guess). When he went to start it one of the injectors apparently hung open? so much so that it filled the cylinder with fuel. He did not realize this and tried to start said cavalier. The motor stopped spinning due to a hydro-lock condition. He then removed the starter because the hydro-lock had bent the crap out of it.

Thoughts?

DRAGOONRANCH
08-13-2008, 08:31 AM
call your insureance, up your fire coverage, and burn the biatch to the ground. ;)

Doug Krebs
08-13-2008, 08:38 AM
No RTV... I replaced the o-rings and went to start it. It spun maybe 1.5 times and then hydrolocked. I didn't realize this, so I bumped it again but it didn't budge. I took the starter off and the aluminum snout was almost broken off. I had troubles with the starter about a month ago, so I figured, "ah it finally gave up the ghost". I replaced it thinking that the motor was bound up because the starter broke.

So I go to bump it again, same ****. I take out the plugs and the 1st two are filled with gas. I didn't touch the one cylinder's injector. So with the plugs out I turned it over and shot the gas out. I fireball erupted as a plug wire fell over the spark plug hole. Unfortunately the fireball didn't catch the whole car on fire.

So this morning I get up and take the two injectors back out. One of the o-rings had slipped to the wrong spot. I guess I could have caught it on something while putting it in. Anyways, I fix the problem and think my problem is solved. I went to start it and it will turn over, but not ignition. I only had the chance to crank it a couple times before I had to go to work.

Maybe its still to wet inside?

I'm also scared that I bent a rod or something. I'm browsing craigslist this morning for a new car just in case:flipoff2:

jerryg79
08-13-2008, 09:16 AM
I'm browsing craigslist this morning for a new car just in case:flipoff2:

I'll believe that when i see it:flipoff2:

Fredo
08-13-2008, 09:25 AM
Sorry about not answering the phone last night Doug. I was dead to the world crashed out early and noticed the missed calls this morning. That definitely sounds like an odd situation. It sounds like you've got a couple injectors that are just dumping fuel as long as the rail is pressurized. I don't know what the life expectancy is on a cavalier injector, but I know 140k+ is past the life expectancy for the rest of the car. hehe.

Turn the key to the on position and see if the fuel pump primes and check the static pressure on the rail. See if the pressure stays constant or leaks down.

Doug Krebs
08-13-2008, 11:42 PM
well I worked on it all afternoon. I must have pulled the spark plugs 10 times. I took the valve cover off just to ease my mind about bent pushrods. Everything looked normal.

After talking to Fred a couple of times, he concluded I need to reset the computer. So I put all the crap back on and it fired up. It runs again, but has a miss. I reset the computer a couple of different times. One time it ran smooth and I drove it around the block but when I pulled back into the driveway it started stumbling again.

I've given up until sunday and went to fill my truck up with gas for our garner trip tomorrow. Its been a crappy day, but white trash never cease to amaze me. After swiping the credit card 3 times, damn pump limited out at $50, I went around to see how much they put in. They had caused quite the comotion while I was there trying to use 2 different debit cards and putting $2 on one.

And here is how much they put it.:laughing::laughing:

Fredo
08-13-2008, 11:54 PM
Damn doug...that sucks. Did you replace those ****ty plug wires yet?

Doug Krebs
08-14-2008, 12:10 AM
Damn doug...that sucks. Did you replace those ****ty plug wires yet?

yeah, replaced the plugs and the wires. It ran smooth for a couple of minutes... Then it started missing and the dash lit up like a christmas tree. I'll have to get a scanner and see what it says.

Oh well, I was just hoping to take it to garner. Would have been $50+ cheaper to take it.

Sharpe
08-14-2008, 12:11 PM
You can use my scanner.