PDA

View Full Version : 1999 F150 IFS to Solid Front

F1504x4
09-23-2008, 10:31 AM
This is probably the largest project I'll be doing on this truck so far, as well as most difficult for me as I have little experiance with axle, differentials, and drivetrains, basically everything after the flywheel. Now that that's out of the way and I'm done humbling myself here's the project.

I have a 1999 f150 4x4 with IFS and I want to convert it to a solid front axel. I found a kit online that I guess includes brackets and hardware (I didn't look at it too closely) for a front axel. I'll post that up when I get a chance. Anway, I'm starting to look at axles and I'm not sure which way to go with them. I also need a front differential on it. Any help yall could give would be greatly appreciated.

Two more things:
I don't think it will but I want to make sure that the front axle won't change, or at least change much, the way the truck handles on the highway because it's still a daily driver now.

And as a note this is a project that I will not be doing in the very near future, I'm just trying to get some input and background on this so I'll be ready to do it when the time comes. I drive this everyday so I need time to find where I can go without it for a few days, and I need to earn the money to buy the parts :gigem:

KrazyKarl02
09-23-2008, 10:49 AM
I don't think it will but I want to make sure that the front axle won't change, or at least change much, the way the truck handles on the highway because it's still a daily driver now.

:laughing: Not to be an arse, but this will change the way the truck handles. It is unavoidable.

I am not sure on a truck that new all of the things that have to be done. I would look for a 1978-1979 F150 or Bronco Dana 44. That would be the most economical. If you want to play with the big boys look for a Dana 60 out of an F350.

Also, what gear ratio is your rear axle? You will have to match it.

Seth has done this to a mid 90's Ford. Talk with him. Go for a ride.

End of the day, my advice, leave your 99 alone and buy a beater.

Sharpe
09-23-2008, 10:49 AM
Well first off we need to see the kit and what exactly it comes with. Is it just brackets and hardware or does it come with springs, shocks, u-bolts, etc? Like I said in the other thread a drivers side D44 front out of a late 70's Ford (dont know the exact vintage) would be what you need. When you say front differential do you mean some sort of locker? If so, your options range from welding it (more or less free) to a selectable locker like an ARB (~$800).

FJAggie07
09-23-2008, 11:06 AM
don't forget compressor for ARB. Not to mention Gears to match the rear.

Could be done on the cheap, but if ride and handling are important I agree with Karl, wheel it like it is or buy a beater.

8Runner
09-23-2008, 11:29 AM
After seeing you wheel yesterday (and you did well considering your truck and experience), I have a couple thoughts for you. I would strongly suggest doing a rear locker (EZ-Locker or Detroit - NOT WELDED), a small suspension lift, and bigger tires, in that priority order. AN IFS to Solid axle swap is a major upgrade and I suspect that you will realize that it would make more sense to buy a beater or a separate daily driver before you do this.

That said, I took the plunge and did this to my daily driver while in college. I had a 4" IFS lift on my 4runner that I bent and broke many times. The swap made a noticeable difference in wheeling capability, but not nearly as much as when I did lockers front & rear. Of course, I did quit bending & breaking things on the front IFS - not sure if this was a good thing though, as it just enabled me to get into worse situations that broke things that cost me a whole lot more $$$ than the IFS ever did...:)

p.s. This group is not shy about sharing opinions and there are no perfect answers. Keep asking around and doing online research and when you are ready to take the plunge, post up and there will be many willing hands (and tools) available for help.

F1504x4
09-23-2008, 11:32 AM
i may just hafta leave it then n buy a beater like yall said, n go ahead n get a rear locker, bigger suspension and bigger ats like Chris told me yesterday n a few minutes ago hah and wheel it like that. Use a beater for the extreme stuff. In this case, I was looking at Fabtechs 6inch suspension. Has anyone heard of any positives negatives about this sytem? Theres two kinds, one with blocks in the back and one with bigger leaf springs, im thinkin the springs are the way to go? and if anyone has heard anything, how would this system go functionality wise? is it more functional, or just some cheap **** to throw on a street truck?

BroncoJo
09-23-2008, 12:19 PM
I'm not a big fan of IFS lift kits, it takes some serious money to get something that actualy out preforms the factory setup. i.e. http://www.dixonbrosracing.com/content/blogcategory/2/3/

I would stay away from most (maybe all) SAS kits. You really need to do alot of research and planning before jumping into this project because you will end up fabricating most of your parts. That being said its really not that hard if you have the resources and know what your doing.

However I also suggest a beater, for the price of some decent lower a-arms or compents to build a strong axle you could have 2-3 "truglys".

Sharpe
09-23-2008, 12:22 PM
for the price of some decent lower a-arms or compents to build a strong axle you could have 2-3 "truglys".

Problem is most people dont even want one :flipoff2:

yah yah pot-kettle wtf ever... I just felt the need to point that out.

RCcola55
09-23-2008, 01:09 PM
i might know of a sweet deal on an XJ that comes with a 460, d44 front and a d60 rear if you wanna go beater route. But as everyon has said, an SAS is not for the faint of heart and isnt something you wanna go about doing to a daily driver if you are look for a stock feeling truck. Now with that being said my bronco handled better than ever when i put the 60 in it but it wasnt something i would if i had to drive it everyday, and it was $$$ even with the good deals i got.

85cj7
09-23-2008, 01:26 PM
theres a free toyota in the back yard. . . or suburban. Which ever one you can more easily drag off.

Eckert
09-23-2008, 01:44 PM
theres a free toyota in the back yard. . . or suburban. Which ever one you can more easily drag off.

neither of those have the awesome dana 30 he should be looking for:flipoff2:

85cj7
09-23-2008, 02:09 PM
yah but ones a toyota so you can add another member to circle jerk it with.

F1504x4
09-23-2008, 02:26 PM
Ok I'll hafta think about it..i may end up just makin the truck i got now a lightweight rig with the mods i was talkin about earlier that Chris said..and get a beater in the works at some point.

thank you for that url..they have the bumper ive been wantin to get so its a nice thing to have..im still wantin to build it myself though so its something to look at somewhat..along with that roof rack

Eckert
09-23-2008, 07:01 PM
yah but ones a toyota so you can add another member to circle jerk it with.

im a fool size person now.

Ok I'll hafta think about it..i may end up just makin the truck i got now a lightweight rig with the mods i was talkin about earlier that Chris said..and get a beater in the works at some point.

thank you for that url..they have the bumper ive been wantin to get so its a nice thing to have..im still wantin to build it myself though so its something to look at somewhat..along with that roof rack

just out of curiosity. if you "were" doing a SAS. what were you looking to do and why? did you want to 3/4/5 link, radius arms, leafs, etc. why do you want a roof rack? bed not enough space?

also, you could do it the other way around and buy a tow rig or a economy vehicle as your daily driver and turn you ford into something radical.

F1504x4
09-23-2008, 07:52 PM
why do you want a roof rack? bed not enough space?

also, you could do it the other way around and buy a tow rig or a economy vehicle as your daily driver and turn you ford into something radical.

a lot of my bed space is used up by the spare carrier..Mainly roof rack as a place to put jack+shovel, but more importantly some lights right over windshield cuz when they were on the rollbar light was lost from roof..place i can renforce em on the rack so if branches and **** hit em it wont push/unalign em.

n i was thinking bout turnin the f150 into something crazy but idk. ive gotten so many ideas and suggestions today its hard to pick so as of now the only plans are to upgrade it how it is and for what its used for. a daily driver and weekend warrior

BroncoJo
09-23-2008, 08:00 PM
fix the space problem in the bed and screw a roof rack, thats just more to get knocked off.

The problem about upgrading your truck is that you will never be satisfied (sp?) and it will eventually turn into a big crazy pos that you spent 3 times what a more capable beater would have cost. ask fat ryan about this.

Seth
09-23-2008, 08:56 PM
I am not even sure how to respond. Go out into your backyard and start a small fire in a coffee can. Throw in 20 bucks and see how that makes you feel. If you don't like it, then stop now.

Seriously though, I have an SAS'd rig that I have put 30k on. All road miles. Its a pain to drive on the road, but it could be much better with better tire balance, an alignment, removal of the body lift, tweaking the bowed springs, and adding an anti sway bar. It is just really tough to wheel a ride you want to DD if you want it to remain well mannered on the road. Doors get tweaked so they leak wind, headlights get bumped and misaligned or dim out. Carpet gets nasty, etc. Also if (when) it breaks, you gotta fig out someway to get around. Motorcycles always seem to work, but can be more money.

That being said, a beater seems perfect right? There is a catch to that as well. First, you gotta have a place to keep it. Most neighborhoods and apartments arent too keen on some old jeep/blazer/bronco/sammi/scout/whatever covered in mud with a flat tire on jackstands being parked. You also need a trailer and something to tow it with. But then you end up with something else to store, and an expensive inefficient truck as a DD.

That being said, diff folks in this club have figured it out, one way or another. I guess the earlier you can come up with a game plan, the better. Starting off driving something that is good for wheeling and then moving on to the bigger stuff seems to be a winning combo. Bad for guys like us with fullsizes.

Build/buy something super light and tow it with the f150. It's got a 5.4 right?

HULK-1
09-23-2008, 10:37 PM
Just wheel the IFS within its capabilities and buy a beater if u wanna wheel the hardcore stuff or just ride along with someone else and watch them break their ****

F1504x4
09-24-2008, 12:19 AM
yea its got a 5.4l..it seems a few small upgrades and leave it are the way to go..lockers, suspension upgrade, bigger tires and call it a day

william_ace
09-24-2008, 01:40 AM
I am not even sure how to respond. Go out into your backyard and start a small fire in a coffee can. Throw in 20 bucks and see how that makes you feel. If you don't like it, then stop now.

i think that is probably the best quote ever. i wish i had heard that about 3 years ago

FJAggie07
09-24-2008, 08:20 AM
yea its got a 5.4l..it seems a few small upgrades and leave it are the way to go..lockers, suspension upgrade, bigger tires and call it a day

ding ding ding!!!

Good idea. plenty of us wheel ifs, it is still a blast.

Doug Krebs
09-24-2008, 08:39 AM
Holy ****, the new generation is here. They are using "idk", "em", and "n". Thank god for the commercial from cingular with the girl saying "idk, by bff jill". They teach me these new vocab words.

JB
09-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Isn't this truck already kinda a beater?:D

uglyota
09-24-2008, 09:18 AM
IDK, if it were my truck I'd just focus on "apperance" :flipoff2:

colman
09-24-2008, 09:21 AM
do they even offer a locker for the front ifs in that truck. i didn't think they offered ifs lockers

FJAggie07
09-24-2008, 09:30 AM
do they even offer a locker for the front ifs in that truck. i didn't think they offered ifs lockers

Are you kidding me?

Go search ARB... You know Toyota hasn't made a solid front axle vehicle besides the Landcruiser since '85, you think none of us are locked up front?

Fredo
09-24-2008, 10:06 AM
Are you kidding me?

Go search ARB... You know Toyota hasn't made a solid front axle vehicle besides the Landcruiser since '85, you think none of us are locked up front?

Chris, turns out most of us care about IFS 4wd systems about as much as we care what might be under the hood of a Kia. Not very much. :flipoff2:

F1504x4
09-24-2008, 10:51 AM
Isn't this truck already kinda a beater?:D

yea the outside is ****

everything else though is good and runs great

agjohn02
09-24-2008, 11:49 AM
see, the way everyone burns up money is by not going big enough fast enough. if you put a dana 44 in your truck, it will be no time before you want something bigger. go ahead and put a rockwell in the front, then later you can upgrade the rear when you get the cash.

Sharpe
09-24-2008, 12:24 PM
I wouldnt lock the front diff of an IFS truck of any brand. Lift, tires and rear locker are a good idear though. One step at a time that is.

Oh and please dont waste any money on shiny alloy wheels, they will get royally ****ed up beyond use with any serious use on rocks.

Eckert
09-24-2008, 01:40 PM
yes, lock something thats independent. genius. plus no lockouts.

RCcola55
09-24-2008, 01:40 PM
Buy a Ranger!

FJAggie07
09-24-2008, 01:41 PM
I wouldnt lock the front diff of an IFS truck of any brand. Lift, tires and rear locker are a good idear though. One step at a time that is.

Oh and please dont waste any money on shiny alloy wheels, they will get royally ****ed up beyond use with any serious use on rocks.

I agree. You would be amazed at what you can do with just a rear locker. Hell I don't have a front locker, and my rear does amazing things for me. :flipoff2: (teehehe)

So does my fancy Atrac thingy... but that is silly toyota ifs technology :flipoff2:

FJAggie07
09-24-2008, 01:41 PM
Chris, turns out most of us care about IFS 4wd systems about as much as we care what might be under the hood of a Kia. Not very much. :flipoff2:

:flipoff2:

FJAggie07
09-24-2008, 01:42 PM
yes, lock something thats independent. genius. plus no lockouts.

Well when you don't cheap out and get something that is selectable and you use it only in situations where...

WTF am I talking about, SAS and weld the gears man!!!!! WHOOOOOOOO!!!! It's the TAMOR WAY!!!! :flipoff2:

DRAGOONRANCH
09-25-2008, 03:27 AM
The truck you have is a perfect candidate for a good trail rig. It is going to cost you to get it there though, and you will end up wanting a second vehicle to be your DD after it is all over with.

What kind of mechanical skills do you have? Welding/electronics/machinist?

How bad do you want to keep the body straight (or atleast as straight as it is now)? Wheeling a fool size is definitely a lifestyle choice (yes, it's a choice and not in your DNA :rolleyes: ). You saw the love I have shown mine. :gigem:

What kind of budget do you see yourself having for this project?

Where do you live (someplace that is friendly to having a rig in a million pieces for a week or two)?

Answer these questions concisely and you will give us a better feel for what you will be capable of and where you are wanting to go with it.

F1504x4
09-25-2008, 09:09 AM
The truck you have is a perfect candidate for a good trail rig. It is going to cost you to get it there though, and you will end up wanting a second vehicle to be your DD after it is all over with.

What kind of mechanical skills do you have? Welding/electronics/machinist?

How bad do you want to keep the body straight (or atleast as straight as it is now)? Wheeling a fool size is definitely a lifestyle choice (yes, it's a choice and not in your DNA :rolleyes: ). You saw the love I have shown mine. :gigem:

What kind of budget do you see yourself having for this project?

Where do you live (someplace that is friendly to having a rig in a million pieces for a week or two)?

Answer these questions concisely and you will give us a better feel for what you will be capable of and where you are wanting to go with it.

Well right now, i can't comepletly turn this into a full blown trail rig, assuming i want to go that route.

Right now where i live when im actually at home does not approve of that kinda stuff, but when i lifted my truck we just blocked the veiw with a navigator so it worked:gigem: Im lookin with a few freidns for a place that actually has a garage that we could use as a shop so we'll hafta see how that works out.

In terms of skill, im pretty good with electronics, i just really want to learn how to weld, you can only get so far with a setaline torch

budget is hard to figure because idk how much ill be paying for the new living arrangements ect.

i think what may end up happening is throwing a rear locker, suspension, and 38in ats on the f150 and be done with it. I know what i want outta a hardcore trail rig (ive been takin notes from some of yalls rigs and seeing what works good ect.) and when i get a place to keep parts layin around ill get to work on it. ill keep those plans to myself for now partially because its still way to early for me to even begin working on it, plus id hate to ruin the suprise for yall :gigem:

BroncoJo
09-25-2008, 09:39 AM
your plans will change a million times

F1504x4
09-25-2008, 09:44 AM
exactly

FJAggie07
09-25-2008, 10:04 AM
i think what may end up happening is throwing a rear locker, suspension, and 38in ats on the f150 and be done with it. I know what i want outta a hardcore trail rig (ive been takin notes from some of yalls rigs and seeing what works good ect.) and when i get a place to keep parts layin around ill get to work on it. ill keep those plans to myself for now partially because its still way to early for me to even begin working on it, plus id hate to ruin the suprise for yall :gigem:

Get good at changing CV's if you plan on Running 38's... Throw some 35's under her and call it a day.

uglyota
09-25-2008, 10:05 AM
another vote for a welder, a trailer, and a small cheap beater rig. Don't mess up your Daily Driver

F1504x4
09-25-2008, 10:19 AM
another vote for a welder, a trailer, and a small cheap beater rig. Don't mess up your Daily Driver

Given my current money situation, and the fact that it IS my DD, a locker, small suspension and 35s will keep it a DD and still make it a bit better to handle the trail. ATs will keep it good for street driving and still give it traction offroad. I think this is a good happy medium for the f150 and itll keep it suitable for both types. save the hardcore offroad stuff for like u said, a small cheap beater.

I wanted to say thanks to all of yall for helpin me with this, i guess the title of this should more be "this is what i want, what the **** should i do?"

william_ace
09-25-2008, 10:36 AM
i think you'll want some MT's if you get new tires dont get all terrains

uglyota
09-25-2008, 10:41 AM
Given my current money situation, and the fact that it IS my DD, a locker, small suspension and 35s will keep it a DD and still make it a bit better to handle the trail. ATs will keep it good for street driving and still give it traction offroad. I think this is a good happy medium for the f150 and itll keep it suitable for both types. save the hardcore offroad stuff for like u said, a small cheap beater.

I wanted to say thanks to all of yall for helpin me with this, i guess the title of this should more be "this is what i want, what the **** should i do?"

oh well you've got it all figured out then. You do realize that a small lift alone on that truck will cost as much as a beater that already wheels better than the f150 ever will...

Eckert
09-25-2008, 11:08 AM
oh well you've got it all figured out then. You do realize that a small lift alone on that truck will cost as much as a beater that already wheels better than the f150 ever will...

depending on what he wants to do with said beater, theres an extra $1000 in a trailer and/or insurance. plus all the money he will drop making the crappy beater in a bigger pile of poo, only to be torn apart later in its life. if he just keeps it sane on 35's "I" think he will be much happier.

agjohn02
09-25-2008, 11:17 AM

at least you realize what your rig is worth even though you ask 4x that

JB
09-25-2008, 12:05 PM
38" all terrains? Really? That sounds kinda yag. If you are lifting it that much, is the difference between and AT vs an MT really a concern. My DD/tow rig has MTs with 40k on them and still have life left.

I attempted to wheel and DD my Bronco my freshman year of college. I was all hardcore, drive it to the trail, through the trail, and back home. My rims were shiny and my paint was perfect. A year of that and I realized what a bad idea it was. It was all beat up and I brokes several TTB shafts. By the time you buy an IFS kit and some magical 38" ATs, you could have bought a decent rig. But you won't realize that yet no matter what we tell you. I know because I didn't.

On the other hand, since you are a freshman busy with school, I doubt you have a couple Gs laying around to throw at a trail rig. Understandable. If I was in your position, I would put what money I had to spend into making the F150 a little nicer of a DD. It could use some more body work, maybe some body lift lips?, maybe some slightly used 285/70/17 MTs?:gigem:. Forget about locker and just wheel it at BVORR and Shiloh and ride along with others on the real trails like K-Rocks, Clayton etc.

Props to taking everyone's opinions/criticisms and not being a newbie jackass. Stay involved in the club and you will learn plenty.

FJAggie07
09-25-2008, 12:17 PM

How much would a 3" lift really cost for that F150?

F1504x4
09-25-2008, 12:17 PM
38" all terrains? Really? That sounds kinda yag. If you are lifting it that much, is the difference between and AT vs an MT really a concern. My DD/tow rig has MTs with 40k on them and still have life left.

I attempted to wheel and DD my Bronco my freshman year of college. I was all hardcore, drive it to the trail, through the trail, and back home. My rims were shiny and my paint was perfect. A year of that and I realized what a bad idea it was. It was all beat up and I brokes several TTB shafts. By the time you buy an IFS kit and some magical 38" ATs, you could have bought a decent rig. But you won't realize that yet no matter what we tell you. I know because I didn't.

On the other hand, since you are a freshman busy with school, I doubt you have a couple Gs laying around to throw at a trail rig. Understandable. If I was in your position, I would put what money I had to spend into making the F150 a little nicer of a DD. It could use some more body work, maybe some body lift lips?, maybe some slightly used 285/70/17 MTs?:gigem:. Forget about locker and just wheel it at BVORR and Shiloh and ride along with others on the real trails like K-Rocks, Clayton etc.

Props to taking everyone's opinions/criticisms and not being a newbie jackass. Stay involved in the club and you will learn plenty.

the 285/70/17s sound good to me. The suspension is around $2500 and that includes new rear leafs, which i want to get because the f150 has around 170k miles and a bunch is from wheeling around our ranch in junction and doing work, so my suspension is in need of an upgrade. Especially since i plan on keepin the truck for a while. when i lifted the body i noticed that the suspension wasnt in "good" condition. i figure with the way things go, i can have more than enough for this lift and bodywork on the f150, and by the time i get a place with some friends where i can actually work on a trail rig, it should work out nicely, with a finishd DD, ready for a lil buddy to pull around. hoping all goes well.

F1504x4
09-25-2008, 12:19 PM
How much would a 3" lift really cost for that F150?

the 3" body cost me about 200..cuz i did it myself. I havent really found any 3" suspension, mostly 4-6. ranging from $1300 to $2500

FJAggie07
09-25-2008, 12:22 PM
holy ****!

TexTJ209
09-25-2008, 12:35 PM
I could buy 3-4 running FSJs for $2500. :eek:

BMFScout
09-25-2008, 12:36 PM
I could buy 3-4 running FSJs for $2500. :eek:

and still have nothing to wheel!! BA-ZING!! :gigem:

F1504x4
09-25-2008, 12:53 PM
yea its a *****...

Sharpe
09-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Dude seriously if you are planning on spending that much on a suspension lift just get an XJ, ranger or S10. For some reason I see those three prety frequently in the ~$500 range. You could buy and build a decent trail rig for $2500, especially if you're patient and dont go balls to the wall right off the bat.

RCcola55
09-25-2008, 02:17 PM
ranger! ranger! ranger!

F1504x4
09-25-2008, 02:49 PM
got nowhere to put it

TMatheaus
09-25-2008, 03:26 PM
Dude seriously if you are planning on spending that much on a suspension lift just get an XJ, ranger or S10. For some reason I see those three prety frequently in the ~$500 range. You could buy and build a decent trail rig for $2500, especially if you're patient and dont go balls to the wall right off the bat.

x2

i have around ~$800 in my XJ and is pretty capable for what it is, you could prolly find a place to store it for nothing to very little a month, but it would be a much better option than to beat on something that you rely on everyday

85cj7
09-25-2008, 03:29 PM
x2

i have around ~$800 in my XJ and is pretty capable for what it is, you could prolly find a place to store it for nothing to very little a month, but it would be a much better option than to beat on something that you rely on everyday

yah trust me it sucks, i haven't drove the jeep in 3 weeks. If i didn't have a girlfriend that minded me stealing her truck then i would have the school attendance of . . . . . . . well . . . . . . .clarke.:flipoff2:

JB
09-25-2008, 03:32 PM
http://collegestation.craigslist.org/cto/855027386.html

TexTJ209
09-25-2008, 04:11 PM
and still have nothing to wheel!! BA-ZING!! :gigem:

:laughing: Hey, theres one FSJ in the club that wheels.

Mine might see a road by next summer.. we'll see. :D

Eckert
09-25-2008, 07:25 PM
he needs to go balls deep on research to decide what he wants. and learn what parts sucks and whats good.

RCcola55
09-25-2008, 07:52 PM
i know of a place at the end of dexter that charges the low low price of $50/month for storage

BroncoJo
09-25-2008, 09:39 PM
I know a place of of n dowling thats only 45:flipoff2:

AggieTJ2007
09-25-2008, 09:55 PM
Whatever you want to do, wait off a couple of months. Wheeling is alot of fun, but having a comfortable DD to drive everyday is alot more fun.

Eckert
09-25-2008, 10:02 PM
I know a place of of n dowling thats only 45:flipoff2:

218 for $44!

either way, the space issue is solved.

Shaggy
09-26-2008, 11:26 AM
hate to sound like the rest of these guys but just wait some time and leave your truck alone. Don't destroy your daily driver and please dont drop 2-4k on lifting a truck that isn't even worth that in the first place. wheel it like it is and have fun, catch a ride with older members until you can actually afford to do something right