PDA

View Full Version : Shop/Garages in College Station

xjadam
09-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Are there any shops or garages in the Bryan/College Station area that you would recommend or avoid. I don't want go somewhere and get screwed on the price, but I want someone who know's what they are doing. Also my Jeep is an 88 so if they won't work on old vehicles that's worth knowing.

8Runner
09-28-2008, 11:34 AM
For all things mechanical (not computer or custom work), I really like Andy's Auto in Bryan. It's kind of a hole in the wall, but I have been using him since the late 90's and he has been in the business forever. He is very inexpensive and deals very honestly. He also holds long hours and has saved my butt at the last minute before many an off road trip. Tell him you were referred by me and are a member of A&M Off-Road, I have sent other folks there and he has always treated them well.

Andy's Auto Repair (after the bend in Bryan)
507 S Texas Ave
Bryan, TX 77803
(979) 822-1271

For more complex electrical or custom work, I use Creative Audio - owned by Lance Long. He's a mixed bag, so know what you are getting into when you go there. He has put out some amazing work, but he will also put out crap if you jew him down on price too much or rush him. He requires some patience to deal with and unless you pay him extra to work fast, it will probably take twice as long as he quotes - so go in expecting this. He won't turn any work away, so stick to what he is good at - body work, welding, stereos, alarms, vehicle restoration... He also did an engine swap for me (TPI 350 into a '95 4Runner), but after the experience I would not put that work into an "area that he knows", but if you are looking for a local shop to do that kind of work, he's the only one I would even halfheartedly recommend. Several old school TAMORites have worked there over the years (Scott Schubring, Troy Mcdaniel), and if you need a job he is always looking for folks that can weld or are good mechanics. Always ask for Lance when you go (call ahead, because he is not always there) - I do not recommend dealing with his employees - they are good people but not good to talk money or plans with. Another thing that is really cool about Lance is that after you get to know him a bit, he is willing to open up his shop to let you do work in, work alongside him, or borrow specialty tools in his parking lot. All in all, a good guy to know when you have a vehicle you are constantly breaking and are on tight budget. Definitely let him know where you heard about him from (Chris Scotti & TAMOR), as he gets a lot of random walk ins that you want to be set apart from.

Creative Audio Concepts (next to J. Cody's BBQ)
3700 S College Ave
Bryan, TX 77801
(979) 268-8272

Finally, I would be remiss if I didn't say something about the value of these boards and being a TAMOR member if you need anything done. If you are interested in learning to work on your own vehicle, the club is invaluable. It is usually possible to find someone that knows how to do the work you need done, is willing to teach you, loan you tools or even their driveway. We have been known to hold workdays in the past (I wish we would do them again - pick a day, I volunteer my house). Just start a thread, post a pic or two and ask for advice. In no time at all, your leaking radiator will turn into an engine swap. :flipoff2:

Good luck & welcome to TAMOR.

Reckless
09-28-2008, 12:45 PM
For all things mechanical (not computer or custom work), I really like Andy's Auto in Bryan. It's kind of a hole in the wall, but I have been using him since the late 90's and he has been in the business forever. He is very inexpensive and deals very honestly. He also holds long hours and has saved my butt at the last minute before many an off road trip. Tell him you were referred by me and are a member of A&M Off-Road, I have sent other folks there and he has always treated them well.

Andy's Auto Repair (after the bend in Bryan)
507 S Texas Ave
Bryan, TX 77803
(979) 822-1271

For more complex electrical or custom work, I use Creative Audio - owned by Lance Long. He's a mixed bag, so know what you are getting into when you go there. He has put out some amazing work, but he will also put out crap if you jew him down on price too much or rush him. He requires some patience to deal with and unless you pay him extra to work fast, it will probably take twice as long as he quotes - so go in expecting this. He won't turn any work away, so stick to what he is good at - body work, welding, stereos, alarms, vehicle restoration... He also did an engine swap for me (TPI 350 into a '95 4Runner), but after the experience I would not put that work into an "area that he knows", but if you are looking for a local shop to do that kind of work, he's the only one I would even halfheartedly recommend. Several old school TAMORites have worked there over the years (Scott Schubring, Troy Mcdaniel), and if you need a job he is always looking for folks that can weld or are good mechanics. Always ask for Lance when you go (call ahead, because he is not always there) - I do not recommend dealing with his employees - they are good people but not good to talk money or plans with. Another thing that is really cool about Lance is that after you get to know him a bit, he is willing to open up his shop to let you do work in, work alongside him, or borrow specialty tools in his parking lot. All in all, a good guy to know when you have a vehicle you are constantly breaking and are on tight budget. Definitely let him know where you heard about him from (Chris Scotti & TAMOR), as he gets a lot of random walk ins that you want to be set apart from.

Creative Audio Concepts (next to J. Cody's BBQ)
3700 S College Ave
Bryan, TX 77801
(979) 268-8272

Finally, I would be remiss if I didn't say something about the value of these boards and being a TAMOR member if you need anything done. If you are interested in learning to work on your own vehicle, the club is invaluable. It is usually possible to find someone that knows how to do the work you need done, is willing to teach you, loan you tools or even their driveway. We have been known to hold workdays in the past (I wish we would do them again - pick a day, I volunteer my house). Just start a thread, post a pic or two and ask for advice. In no time at all, your leaking radiator will turn into an engine swap. :flipoff2:

Good luck & welcome to TAMOR.

Lance went with you to clayton one year correct?

8Runner
09-28-2008, 01:28 PM
Lance went with you to clayton one year correct?

Yeah, he was on the last ill fated run of 8runner up 3 stage.

Doug Krebs
09-28-2008, 02:04 PM
What kind of work are you looking for? General maintenance, or build up kind of stuff?

That might help us refer you better.

breckboarder55
09-28-2008, 03:15 PM
I am sure, that anything you are looking to do. Or need help with can be found on the board.

Lots of knowledge here.

DRAGOONRANCH
09-28-2008, 11:19 PM
I am sure, that anything you are looking to do. Or need help with can be found on the board.

Lots of knowledge here.

We even. Hand out english/grammar/punctuation, lessons for free. ;)

:flipoff2:

x10 on lots of knowledge here and folks willing to help you out. I would still be peempin the giant Missouri rustbucket of a trailanchor (now known as the beast) if it wasn't for a bunch of folks here on the boards.

xjadam
09-30-2008, 04:35 PM
I rebuilt my Jeep over the summer, and just got it down here last week. But it idles a little rough. It has new sparkplugs/wires, distributor/rotator, pretty much all of the internals are new. I think the timing is a little bit off and wanted a mechanic to look at it. I also think the front driver side hub is starting to wear out (something underneath is making strange noise once I get up around 30mph). I want that looked at too.

jerryg79
09-30-2008, 04:37 PM
those are easy fixes, pay someone who knows a thing or two in beer to help you.

BroncoJo
09-30-2008, 04:39 PM
pay me... or just stop by

davido
09-30-2008, 10:54 PM
To add to the thread, I would trust Dan at Superior Auto. Very straight forward guy.