PDA

View Full Version : painting aluminum diamond plate?

redcagepatrol
11-02-2008, 10:46 PM
I bought an AL toolbox and some AL diamond plate bed rails for the new Dodge. I plan on color matching them when I paint the bumpers the mirrors.

Question?
What do I need to do to paint the new shinny Aluminum stuff?
They are sprayed with some type of clear coat...

Option 1 - rough them up a little with some scotch bright / sandpaper, paint.
Option 2 - sandblast, prime, paint.

I think that blasting them can lead to other problems so I would like to avoid it if possible - can I?

Reckless
11-02-2008, 10:47 PM
scotch brite and use an etching primer

robertf03
11-02-2008, 10:51 PM
you can sand blast aluminum.

Fredo
11-02-2008, 10:56 PM
Honestly, powdercoating would be the best way to go with aluminum. But, finding a coating that matches might be difficult. Are you sure they have a clear on them? If so, scotchbriting them and shooting over it should be fine. If it isn't a coating, and just the polished finish, you're best bet would be sandblasting them and then shooting them with an aluminum etching primer, then a sealer primer, then paint.

robertf03
11-02-2008, 10:59 PM
I'm pretty sure most toolboxes have at least a clear coat on them, they'd get pretty nasty looking if they didn't.

redcagepatrol
11-02-2008, 11:00 PM
you can sand blast aluminum.

I know that - but it can make the AL dirty etc... and it can be so soft other problems can happen.

Will the etching primer etch thru the clear?

agjohn02
11-02-2008, 11:03 PM
aircraft stripper will remove the clear. then etch, seal, paint.

robertf03
it gives it a heather grey looking finish. Never had anything look dirty after blasting unless I missed a spot.

redcagepatrol
I like the scotch brite and shoot idea

Fredo
11-02-2008, 11:09 PM
If it's got a clear on it, you shouldn't put etching primer on it. Etching primer is for BARE metals. They make etching primers specifically designed for aluminum too by the way. But back to the clear... If they spray a clearcoat on it, it's obviously stuck to the aluminum, so all you would need to do is ensure that the paint sticks to the coating. So roughing up the clear with a gray scotchbrite and some 9308 3m prep nblend liquid should be sufficient. After that, just shoot your paint and drink a beer.

redcagepatrol
11-02-2008, 11:13 PM
If it's got a clear on it, you shouldn't put etching primer on it. Etching primer is for BARE metals. They make etching primers specifically designed for aluminum too by the way. But back to the clear... If they spray a clearcoat on it, it's obviously stuck to the aluminum, so all you would need to do is ensure that the paint sticks to the coating. So roughing up the clear with a gray scotchbrite and some 9308 3m prep nblend liquid should be sufficient. After that, just shoot your paint and drink a beer.

Good advice, Thanks!:gigem:

redcagepatrol
11-03-2008, 04:59 PM
So I emailed the toolbox people:
"It is not clear coat, it's aluminum; sandblasting it will be prefect or you can even use the scotch brite as well but make sure you wash the tool box after to get all the oil off (it has an oil base to help protect the aluminum) before painting."

WTF - how do you get an "oil base" to stick to the aluminum?