PDA

View Full Version : Clean your wenches!

Doug Krebs
11-21-2008, 12:28 AM
So I'm needing my winch next week to help out my brother. My winch has had problems for a few years now where it seemed like it was burning up solenoids. I've replaced them, checked wiring, borrowed a different controller, etc...

So I stumbled upon some threads on pirate about the HS9500i in particular having problems with grounding. The bolts that hold the heat sink onto the motor, which also holds the motor to the winch actually ground the motor. The fix is to put a washer between them to get better contact.

So I take the bolts out. One almost feels like it wants to break, but I get it out. So I get the motor off the winch and half of Alto falls on the floor. I can't believe the motor has put up with that much crap for all these years. I don't remember the last time I was in Alto, but it has to be at least 2002 (Whoop).

I guess I thought the motors were sealed. I've actually had the winch apart to clean the rest of it, but not the motor. It's also been to a service center to have the brake replaced.

jerryg79
11-21-2008, 06:48 AM
I always thought dirty wenches were a good thing?

Doug Krebs
11-21-2008, 12:17 PM

For Rowdy yes.

Reckless
11-21-2008, 01:58 PM
not wenches or snatchboxes

Sharpe
11-21-2008, 02:21 PM
For Rowdy yes.

No he likes swampdonkeys remember.

redcagepatrol
11-21-2008, 10:58 PM
yes, clean your wenches;)
I took mine all apart and cleaned it before installing it into the Patrol, no problems yet except the bars that tie the two sides together broke off. I've had it since like 1996

DRAGOONRANCH
11-21-2008, 11:06 PM

For Rowdy yes.

I thought Nutz was the SME on this? :confused2

Graystroke
11-22-2008, 09:22 AM
I thought this was a thread on how to spray down your wrenches w/ oil before storing them in your tool box.