PDA

View Full Version : Clayton Trails discussion

8Runner
12-09-2008, 11:59 PM
So I was wondering if anyone had some links to easier more scenic trails. I was thinking a less bouncy one for the prego wife might be good one day. I also thought it might be fun for some of the stockers in the group.

I remember doing some pretty diverse stuff outside of town at several of the Trailfests years back. Does anyone have some links for maps & trail descriptions? In particular, there was a really cool one (barely harder than a dirt road) that ended at a cave we spent some time looking around.

redcagepatrol
12-10-2008, 12:09 AM
I've never been out to that trail and couldn't tell you how to get there but those FWD-FWD guys might know. You might want to email the FWD or the Blacksheep guys and they might be able to help out some.

8Runner
12-10-2008, 01:13 AM
Hmm, I am not really sure who to email. I was hoping for some online maps.

8Runner
12-10-2008, 01:21 AM
Found this on the FWD-FWD site. Makes me want to go to a trailfest again, it's been a while.

http://www.fwd-fwd.org/uploads/Packet.pdf

It has some good trail descriptions on the last few pages, including pics for the new guys.

DRAGOONRANCH
12-10-2008, 05:17 AM
The easy trials idea sounds good as I would like to get my lil brother some good wheel time in one day. ;)

FJAggie07
12-10-2008, 09:12 AM
K-Trails outside of town. I might be able to get you a map but it would need to either go into the Kitchen or stay private between us. I have run all the public fire trails up there on a couple of occasions and there is some great stuff for the newbs but it can turn dangerous pretty quick since it is out in the national Forest and the Meth Labs run abundant.

8Runner
12-10-2008, 09:25 AM
K-Trails outside of town. I might be able to get you a map but it would need to either go into the Kitchen or stay private between us. I have run all the public fire trails up there on a couple of occasions and there is some great stuff for the newbs but it can turn dangerous pretty quick since it is out in the national Forest and the Meth Labs run abundant.

Please bring this uber-top secret map with you to clayton. I'll bring Sudafed to bribe our way through any issues.

FJAggie07
12-10-2008, 09:38 AM
It isn't uber secret, we have just worked very hard using GPS and overlays to be able to map a lot of the trails that have right of passage on certain private property corners to get back into the national forest. Don't want it getting out there and ruining it for everyone.

I won't be in clayton, have too much family to have any free time in December.

breckboarder55
12-10-2008, 10:46 AM
I have run all the public fire trails up there on a couple of occasions and there is some great stuff for the newbs but it can turn dangerous pretty quick since it is out in the national Forest and the Meth Labs run abundant.

wat?:eek: Seriously?

jerryg79
12-10-2008, 10:49 AM

welcome to klayton;)

FJAggie07
12-10-2008, 10:53 AM

Yeah seriously. Mostly on the properties ya'll will be running you have no real need to be alarmed and should feel pretty safe, but when we go out East of town on the fire trails in the National Forest (Trails like Bus Line or the trails to get down on the backside of Snake Pit) I always make sure at least two in the group are carrying. Just kinid of a pre caution you need to take. :)

Fredo
12-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Yeah seriously. Mostly on the properties ya'll will be running you have no real need to be alarmed and should feel pretty safe, but when we go out East of town on the fire trails in the National Forest (Trails like Bus Line or the trails to get down on the backside of Snake Pit) I always make sure at least two in the group are carrying. Just kinid of a pre caution you need to take. :)

REALLY?!?!!?!!!!!1111111111

edit: Probably too much coffee in my system this morning. I forget that not everyone knows we're heading into Methland territory.

jerryg79
12-10-2008, 11:12 AM
no matter how methed out someone you stumble upon in the woods might be, i find that the strenght and invincibility afforded me by a steady stream of PCP into my system is enough to beat them senseless.

Hence I always make sure at least two people in the group are high on pcp.

FJAggie07
12-10-2008, 11:12 AM
REALLY?!?!!?!!!!!1111111111

**** you. I was just explaining it for the Newb. I was trying to be nice to the newbs for once. I am turning over a new leaf, quit raining on my parade. :flipoff2:

Reckless
12-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Quit marching in the Gay parade and ya wont get pissed on :flipoff3:

robertf03
12-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Does anyone have some links for maps & trail descriptions? In particular, there was a really cool one (barely harder than a dirt road) that ended at a cave we spent some time looking around.

Is this walters mule road thats mentioned in the fwdfwd packet? Says its in the green acres area. I'd be up for that.

I forget the names of all the trails and areas every time I go there. The packet lists frielings, south side, and green acres. I assume south side trails is the one by the charcoal plant that you have to have a key to get to.

Which one is behind slims shop where you put money in a transmission? and where is the 3rd area?

mudtoy67
12-10-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm not sure if these trails fall into any of your maps, and I don't know of any updates, but I figure this thread would be a good place to repost it...

I seen this on another forum.

Until further notice, 3 Stage, Purple Headed Monster, Lower Rock Creek up to Lost Creek, and Timberline (basically all of the trials on the old Hurliman place) are officially off limits. WHEELING ON THIS LAND WILL BE CONSIDERED TRESPASSING UNTIL OTHERWISE NOTIFIED DUE TO LIABILITY ISSUES FOR THE NEW OWNER. This also means that you should not pay Jess expecting to wheel the land, because he will be taking your money to wheel on land that he does not own or manage and you WILL BE TRESPASSING AND ARE SUBJECT TO A TICKET BY THE GAME WARDEN IF YOU DO. I have personally been in contact with a representative from the company that now owns the land and I am trying to work something out for the wheelers. However he cannot commit to anything until he consults with his legal department on what their liability implications are. So please, lets stay off the land and not start off on the wrong foot with the new land owner before we even get access back to the property. I will keep you posted when more information comes available.

Doug Krebs
12-10-2008, 02:26 PM
I've got the GPS coordinates for a bunch of the regular trails. I'm not sure if the GPS still has the paths, or they have been overwritten.

redcagepatrol
12-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Is this walters mule road thats mentioned in the fwdfwd packet? Says its in the green acres area. I'd be up for that.

I forget the names of all the trails and areas every time I go there. The packet lists frielings, south side, and green acres. I assume south side trails is the one by the charcoal plant that you have to have a key to get to.

Which one is behind slims shop where you put money in a transmission? and where is the 3rd area?

Behind Slims is Green Acres. The South side is by the charcoal plant - but there is another entrance also. IT's how you get to lower powerline, snake pit, upper power line etc...

8Runner
12-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Scott, you have run more of the trails up there than anyone I know. What do you think - should we stick to Green Acres or branch out a bit this year...

You know I'm pretty tired of Black Mamba and waterfall :)

Fredo
12-10-2008, 05:04 PM
So tired of it that you cant remember the trail's name is Green Mamba? :flipoff2:

redcagepatrol
12-10-2008, 05:10 PM
or maybe he was thinking Jeffs Ledges and Blacksheep Blvd...

I think ya'll should branch out.

AggieTJ2007
12-10-2008, 10:05 PM
I wouldn't mind heading down the road to freiling's (sp?) place I went there once when the jeep was stock and it had alot of good stuff for newbs and some harder stuff as well

8Runner
12-10-2008, 10:42 PM
I wouldn't mind heading down the road to freiling's (sp?) place I went there once when the jeep was stock and it had alot of good stuff for newbs and some harder stuff as well

I remember that trip - I thought you were insane.

Fredo
12-11-2008, 12:14 AM

I'd probably be up for that. That place is fun, but it's a bit of a trek back into town with the exhaust ripped off at the manifolds, the left front brake line severed, the front right centerpin sheared, and trying not to get carbon monoxide poisoning with the windows almost all the way up to stay warm since the heater barely works. Man, that was a fun trip! :gigem:

KrazyKarl02
12-13-2009, 10:06 PM
I was looking for the "map" of green acres, anyone know where it is? Or a general list of trail locations with GPS coordinates or something?

jerryg79
12-13-2009, 10:12 PM
http://www.mudman98.com/Projects/Misc/Green%20Acres.pdf

not sure if there is a newer version out there.

AggieTJ2007
12-13-2009, 10:25 PM
I would like to run down to freelings place this year on friday

AggieTJ2007
12-13-2009, 10:50 PM
if we want to wheel freilings place we need to give him a call

Mr. Freiling...Here's his # 405-820-3476

Eckert
12-13-2009, 11:04 PM
isnt that where the hillside debacle took place last year?

JB
12-14-2009, 11:33 AM
How far is Freilings Place? Besides that and Green Acres, what else is there?

breckboarder55
12-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Anyone else wheeling anything smaller than 35"s besides me?

85cj7
12-14-2009, 05:49 PM
Brian Overall? Flem would have been if he was going

breckboarder55
12-14-2009, 06:03 PM
I am officially the smallest rig going to Clayton... Bryan isn't going.

Hasn't stopped me yet.

BroncoJo
12-14-2009, 06:05 PM
isnt that where the hillside debacle took place last year?

what debacle are you talking about?

TMatheaus
12-14-2009, 07:50 PM
me and BDR are both on 33's and we will be there, hell i was on 32's last year and went everywhere i wanted too

AggieTJ2007
12-14-2009, 07:56 PM
freilings is not that far if I remember correctly, some still trailer but most drove out there

breckboarder55
12-14-2009, 09:26 PM
me and BDR are both on 33's and we will be there, hell i was on 32's last year and went everywhere i wanted too

I remember, and I was impressed to say the lease.

Shaggy
12-14-2009, 10:53 PM
im on 32's

BMFScout
12-15-2009, 12:24 AM
if you aren't street legal, don't drive to freilings. From what I have heard the locals are cool with the offroad crowd, but the stateys/sheriffs/whatever, not so much.