PDA

View Full Version : h-1 center?'s

stx4wheeler
12-26-2008, 06:45 PM
Thinking about buying a set of h-1 wheels. The centers i have been looking at on copperhead fab are 3/8 or 1/4 inch plate centers are the 3/8 center neccessary or just overkill? Are rock rings for the h-1 wheels a neccesity or is it more for looks? How hard is it to cut/grind/prep the wheels for new centers? Any other associated costs involved in this besides centers and the wheels to have beadlocks? Do i need the stock runflats?

thanks for any info on this.

AggieTJ2007
12-26-2008, 09:28 PM
be careful with the copperhead stuff. It has been sold recently and rumor has it that his quality has gone down the drain. Also Copperhead doesn't countersink the holes for the lug nuts.

3/8s or 1/4. the 1/4 is probably overkill but on a plate center it would help prevent bending the wheels.

The cut/grind/prep on the wheels is supper easy. It took me about 1.5 hours to cut, grind, prep, weld and regrind.

you don't need stock runflats if you use the rubber runflats which i would recommend. However if you need some stock runflats I have a set of 4 that you can have for cheap.

Contact Ed if you need some o-rings he should have a few extra

JB
12-26-2008, 10:00 PM
You obviously need the runflat, magnesium or rubber. Or you can get the PVC kind if USA6x6 still makes them and you are feeling lucky. That is what I have and do not have issues. I do not remember the details, but there is another type of "beadlock/runflat" you can use that some guy on pirate was making. You need new o-rings too.

Copperhead Fab was sold awhile ago. They guy who started it, Kyle, sold it to another LUbbock guy I think.

I run the USA 6x6 centers with Copperhead Fab rockrings. After every run, the paint I repaint them with is all scratched up from rocks. Rocks that otherwise would have snagged the rim bolts. I would get them. Some people(I think Cox) just used rebar bent around the rim to strenghth the flared lip that is common to 16.5" rims.

stx4wheeler
12-26-2008, 10:04 PM
what other companies besides copperhead fab do you recomend for centers? Are the run flats neccessary or just good piece of mind?

the purpose for one of the wheels is to have a 5 on 5.5 center welded into it so i can use a spare 37 for my blue mall crawler bronco since no other company is ofering a steel 16.5 wheel on 5 on 5.5.

stx4wheeler
12-26-2008, 10:05 PM
ah some questions answered thanks john.

eight
12-26-2008, 10:32 PM
Wouldn't this wheel work better on the blue bronco? (http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=USW%2D97%2D6955&N=700+4294923107+4294923106+4294923105+4294793321+ 4294755955+115&autoview=sku)

stx4wheeler
12-26-2008, 10:55 PM
summit had the one the pollock posted so im gonna go with that and then a weld on rock ring and some black paint to make it kinda match the 17's I have.

Sharpe
12-27-2008, 12:23 AM
Some people(I think Cox) just used rebar bent around the rim to strenghth the flared lip that is common to 16.5" rims.

No, the rebar rings that I have seen have only been used on the inside bead to protect it from denting. Not saying someone hasnt used it on an outter bead (hevent seen any myself), but its been mostly used on inners.

DRAGOONRANCH
12-27-2008, 12:52 AM
Stazworks has a cut and pressed center (which is what I used) and have a couple of different designs. USA6x6 is out of business and has sold off their stuff for their pressed centers to some one else.

You can either make/buy a pvc center, cut down the magnesium/rubber runflat, or buy the metal pieces that you weld together to make a 'cage'. If you are looking to save weight, go with the cage, if you are looking to go cheap cut down the runflats, if you want easy instalation and decent price go with the pvc.

RCcola55
12-27-2008, 07:51 PM
call cook, i cant remember who he got them from but there is a guy on pirate that is getting the same centers usa6x6 sold and they are pretty kick ass. I just got mine in from stazworks and even though i waited forever they are pretty kick ass as well

JB
12-27-2008, 08:55 PM
It is hard to describe where Cox welding in my centers, but it is right on a lip on th inner part of the rim. It gave me the backspacing that I needing and it made sure that the center would be "centered"
for reference (USA6x6 center with CF rockring)....