PDA

View Full Version : 4200 Vortec Info?

Doug Krebs
01-05-2009, 12:03 AM
Any one know anything about these motors? I think the block is all aluminum, so they are light.

From quick research seems a couple of problems.

New style bell housing.

Any of them have a standard behind them?

Need a different oil pan, as they are front sump.

DRAGOONRANCH
01-05-2009, 12:30 AM
never heard of a 4200. 4300, yes.

Reckless
01-05-2009, 12:57 AM
I had one in my trail blazer, had lots of power but GM had a shat load of recalls on the motors. Thin cylinder walls causing them to burn up. Id say 04 and up. They weigh as much as a 5300 v8 from what i was told. No manuals, found only in the Trailblazer. They actually have a hole that runs through the oil pan for the 4wd to pass through. I havent heard of any aftermarket sumps or anyone who has transplanted them into anything else.

Doug Krebs
01-05-2009, 03:54 PM
It's a straight 6.
Basically hot pocket had the same engine except with a cylinder cut off.

You're awesome! Does it have covers over the push rods like a 292 that I could make make out of lexan and put blue neon in?

Fredo
01-05-2009, 06:27 PM
:D:D:D:D:D

Do you just put the smileys because you know that Doug is making fun of you, yet you have no idea what he is making reference to?

Doug, my limited knowledge of the trailblazer 6 is that there were some racing versions of it that were punched and stroked to 5 liters that ran in baja for awhile and were making somewhere north of 600hp and ended up getting stuck with the v8 class because of how fast they were. I know it had it's problems early in production, but I don't think it really got a fair shake. It's a good engine, but I don't think there is much in the way of aftermarket support for it. Are you considering this thing for an offroad rig, or just having an imaginary buggy moment?

Sharpe
01-05-2009, 06:43 PM
I've always thought a straight 6 in a buggy would be tits because the narrowness of the whole engine would allow you to set it further back without sacrificing as much leg room.

Graystroke
01-05-2009, 08:49 PM
my knowledge consist that I have seen a few at swap meets b/c someone had the same idea of a transplant and aborted it. There will be at least two at decatur this year.

tigweld
01-06-2009, 08:48 AM
self racing makes some cool shiat for these motors, they are very stout factory. the herzog trailblazer's were awesome. there are some youtube video's of them where you can here how they sounded and is impressive to say the least.

btw all the swaps I've read about have used megasquirt and they locked out the vvt.