PDA

View Full Version : Black Keystone Build

Doug Krebs
01-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Changed the name per Flem's post.

I'm not one for naming things, but it makes me laugh. The reason for the name is it's not really what I want to do, but it should get the job done.

It should also help prepare for the "corn" build. I just don't have the money or time for a build like I'd want. Also, while I'm building the corn I'll have this to wheel. I'm sick of not wheeling...

So why scrap the blazer? It was big, bulky, and needed a lot of time. I know what I'm doing will take time, but at least it will be for something I like, which should help with motivation.

Tentative plans:

Remove blazer body
Clean up frame and anything related
Clock Tcase
Finish Hydroassist
Make front/rear antiwrap
Clean up engine
Install serpentine belt accessories
Modify york bracket/pulley
Detroit in the front and 5.13's front and rear

Then time to get gay with kids.
Narrow 70 truck cab 19ish inches, maybe a little less
Dovetail front just a tad
I have the rear bed skins
tube work

Everything is time related except for the gears/locker and a couple other little items.

Doug Krebs
01-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Lets talk about frames... Now that the body is off the frame, I can fully appreciate the crappiness of chevy frame from that era. It's not in horrible shape, but it's flimsy, beat up a little, and has the steering box on the outside.

Granted I'm going to have to do a decent amount of work for this "custom" body, I really think I might be a step ahead if I could find a better suited frame.

Toyota, scout, etc...? Give me advice on frames and advantages. It would also be good if they are readily available and a wheelbase around a blazer 105-110"ish.

Seth
01-05-2009, 03:19 PM
scout II's are boxed from the factory, plentiful, and either 100 or 118 I think. Just find one that is really rusted out so I dont have to hold cutting a scout up against you.

Doug Krebs
01-05-2009, 03:20 PM
scout II's are boxed from the factory, plentiful, and either 100 or 118 I think. Just find one that is really rusted out so I dont have to hold cutting a scout up against you.

Steering? good/bad?

Sharpe
01-05-2009, 03:28 PM
If you dont have the serpentine setup already I have one in the back yard I'll sell ya.

BMFScout
01-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Saginaw box that hangs on the outside of the frame, side to side. Can get them upgraded from almost anywhere, people like using them. I guess it wouldn't be a bad start as far as frames go. What wheelbase are you looking for? A Scout has 100" wheelbase, a Traveler has 118". I have two scouts that need to be parted out pretty much, you could probably have a frame if you drove up here and helped, would have to talk to Fred, I think they are technically his.

Doug Krebs
01-05-2009, 03:29 PM
If you dont have the serpentine setup already I have one in the back yard I'll sell ya.

get your jewass out of this thread! I already have it...

Fredo
01-05-2009, 03:35 PM
I've got a couple scout frames you are more than welcome to come haul off as long as you bring your sawzall to help "condense" what is currently bolted on top of them.

Doug Krebs
01-05-2009, 03:38 PM
I've got a couple scout frames you are more than welcome to come haul off as long as you bring your sawzall to help get "condense" what is currently bolted on top of them.

Fred, I was hoping for more advice than that. What kinda of steering is on them? Box inside outside the frame rail? Any associated problems? Wheelbase?

I love you!

PS... I'm and idiot, I didn't see Jimmy's post.

robertf03
01-05-2009, 03:39 PM
disco frame. its got electrolytes

Seth
01-05-2009, 03:43 PM
Fred don't be saying things like that. Makes me have visions of what I should have made from my rolled scout.

BMFScout
01-05-2009, 03:43 PM
http://www.ihonlynorth.com/forums/ih-only-build-ups/71-ld-s-custom-scout-ii.html

has some pretty good pics of a scout frame.

jerryg79
01-05-2009, 03:46 PM
why not just put a scout body on it like jimmy's. Would take less effort and im guessing a narrowed chevy cab wont have any glass in it.

Doug Krebs
01-05-2009, 03:51 PM
why not just put a scout body on it like jimmy's. Would take less effort and im guessing a narrowed chevy cab wont have any glass in it.

Because, I don't want a scout. I want a gay ass narrowed chevy truck cab, with skins.

Fredo
01-05-2009, 03:52 PM
http://www.ihonlynorth.com/forums/ih-only-build-ups/71-ld-s-custom-scout-ii.html

has some pretty good pics of a scout frame.

Holy horrible serpentine belt coverage Batman!

Doug Krebs
01-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Ok, frame looks like a very nice start. Looks like I could shift the axle locations around enough for 105-110"ish wheelbase? Thoughts?

I'm thinking about different leaf springs too. I have the chevy 52" in the front that are really soft. The rears are 2.5" superlift springs for a chevy truck. They are much harder in comparison to the 52s.

jerryg79
01-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Because, I don't want a scout. I want a gay ass narrowed chevy truck cab, with skins.

Tre (from Boyz n the Hood): hey girl, when you gonna give me some skin?

Graystroke
01-05-2009, 08:58 PM
done

DRAGOONRANCH
01-05-2009, 11:18 PM
Go with 52's in back also, best bang for the buck.

KrazyKarl02
01-05-2009, 11:21 PM
I hate to be an arse, but to me, Frame swaps = more time than project black keystone deserves.

This coming from the guy who swapped cabs.....

eight
01-05-2009, 11:23 PM
I agree with the above.

Doug Krebs
01-06-2009, 09:21 AM
While this may be relatively low budget, I don't want it to be shatty. It's going to be used for a few years, and I'd rather start off with something nice.

These era frames have more bends, humps, etc... than my mom. It's hard to weld a flat piece on them any where without having to bend the plate first.

The only thing I would gain by staying with this frame is the engine mounts and the rear spring hangers, which would have probably stayed the same. The front would have been rebuilt.

Doug Krebs
01-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Doesn't this make you horny? I'm pretty sure my frame has some damage, as it looks like it buckles up in one spot.

http://www.ihonlynorth.com/forums/attachments/ih-only-build-ups/133d1171224095-ld-s-custom-scout-ii-resized_100_2965e.jpg

Doug Krebs
01-06-2009, 11:13 AM
So here is the order of how I plan on doing things for the first couple of major items.

First I'm going to clean up the engine, install accesories, etc... while I wait for shop space to clear up at work.

Then I plan to start the body work on the cab when I have space. Sometime during this time span, I need to trade Jimmy some blue neon's for a frame.

When I get the frame, I'll start laying out where engine, body, and drive train need to be placed.

This should keep me busy for a while...

jerryg79
01-06-2009, 11:34 AM
let me know when you're going to work. I'll be down as long as mike hacks the cab in half with a machete!:gigem:

But for real im always down to be a tool canadian.

Although once im married ill probably be smashing that sh!t like every night, so it may be hard to get away!

KrazyKarl02
01-06-2009, 01:29 PM
So are you going to pay me the 50 cents now or do I have to wait until Clayton this year?

Doug Krebs
01-08-2009, 12:01 AM
I'm staring on the engine when it comes back to the house. Still working on cleaning up crap from the blazer demolition.

I'm getting rid of the stock manifolds, as they have the AIR injection crap on them. I don't really want to get headers because of increased heat. Are the "ram horn" manifolds the best option?

mudtoy67
01-08-2009, 12:14 AM
I've got the ram horn manifolds on mine. They're great if you think you're going to have issues with exhaust clearance past the t-case on the passenger side.

Reckless
01-08-2009, 12:19 AM
thats what creighton and i put on Eds beast

J Cooper
01-08-2009, 12:24 AM
this is what i put on the charlie truck

http://www.jegs.com/i/Hedman/500/68500/10002/-1

not sure if these are the exact ones... they might have actually been the summit brand.

they were like $100

BMFScout
01-08-2009, 01:14 AM
sweet, that means at some point you have to come to D-note and demolish a scout. It shouldn't take **** to do it, we started installing the lift tonight. The other cool thing, is we'll have another scout in the club!

eight
01-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Why not just plug the air injection ports? On my jeep (258) I used short fine thread metric bolts.

DRAGOONRANCH
01-08-2009, 10:35 AM
JB it!!!

No really though, ram horns. Everybody says they make good low end torqe.

Doug Krebs
01-08-2009, 11:58 AM
The other cool thing, is we'll have another scout in the club!

You can call it a scout, I'll call it an abortion.

robertf03
01-08-2009, 12:06 PM
instead of black keystone, lets call it the coathanger

jerryg79
01-08-2009, 12:18 PM

zoinks:gigem:

What about "Plan B" - as its not really your preferred plan for a vehicle...and its the OTC morning after pill!

Doug Krebs
01-08-2009, 12:19 PM

Sweet, I like it!

BMFScout
01-08-2009, 01:09 PM
That would be great if Stacey did a "Project Coathanger" on Trucks!

"Next time on Trucks! Project Coathanger goes into the garage, and things really start to get ugly!!"

Eckert
01-08-2009, 05:09 PM
That would be great if Stacey did a "Project Coathanger" on Trucks!

"Next time on Trucks! Project Coathanger goes into the garage, and things really start to get ugly!!"

trucks! have been ran into the ground by the douches. gearz seems to be exactly what trucks! used to be. still have all the old projects in the back ground.

what was the character coathanger looked liked?

Doug Krebs
01-08-2009, 05:29 PM
trucks! have been ran into the ground by the douches. gearz seems to be exactly what trucks! used to be. still have all the old projects in the back ground.

what was the character coathanger looked liked?

shut your mouth and get out of this thread!

Doug Krebs
01-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Spent all day cleaning the attic and garage. Still not done, but will hopefully get finished tommorow. For a reward, I took the engine out of the back of the truck and took all the accessories off. Also took of the exhaust manifolds and cruise control crap.

Bought some ram horn manifolds off ebay for $25.

I need to investigate the water pump pulley and harmonic balancer for the serpentine setup.

Graystroke
01-10-2009, 11:59 PM
I need to investigate the water pump pulley and harmonic balancer for the serpentine setup.

why, did they steal it?

Doug Krebs
01-11-2009, 12:02 AM
why, did they steal it?

I'm not sure who "they" is...

I'm putting on a serpentine system instead of half V belt, half serpentine. I need new pulley's for the water pump/harmonic balancer.

Graystroke
01-11-2009, 12:16 AM
"they" being the water pump and harmonic balancer that you plan to investigate. it was a joke. but, it is nioce to know that you are getting rid of that half serpentine system. I feel much better and can go to sleep now.:flipoff2:

Doug Krebs
01-11-2009, 12:19 AM
"they" being the water pump and harmonic balancer that you plan to investigate. it was a joke. but, it is nioce to know that you are getting rid of that half serpentine system. I feel much better and can go to sleep now.:flipoff2:

You're awesome!

jerryg79
01-11-2009, 01:03 AM
You've fallen off the face of the earth!

fixed it for you:gigem:

Doug Krebs
02-16-2009, 12:09 AM
Started screwing around with the serpentine accessories tonight. Figured out I need a reverse rotation water pump and that the pulley's accidentally got recycled at my friends shop. If anyone has the water pump and harmonic balancer pulley for a serpentine setup let me know.

I'll start working on a bracket similar to this (http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/KE-4000.htm) soon for the york. I can't believe they charge $160 for that...

Doug Krebs
03-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Picked up the scout frame last night. In really good shape, just a little surface rust. It's going to take alot of cutoff wheels to cut off all the factory brackets.

I need to decide on a frame width. Maybe I'll chop the body first, and see where the mounts are at. Definately want to have a flat belly, so it at least needs to be as wide as a transfer case clocked up.

Deep thoughts, by Doug Krebs:flipoff2:

uglyota
03-26-2009, 10:14 AM
sweet blog. Don't you still have a torch?

BMFScout
03-26-2009, 10:16 AM
you don't have a plasma at work? I'd tell them they should get one. I guess you won't be using much on it, but the rear crossmember is junk as you can see. Other than that I think it's a great frame and probably why the scout weighs as much as it does. The original drivetrain is all above the frame, so it shouldn't be hard to do on this project.

tigweld
03-26-2009, 01:00 PM
what t/case?

Doug Krebs
03-26-2009, 02:48 PM
what t/case?

For the moment it will be a 208. Possibly in the future it could be a 241 205 doubler. Either way it will be clocked flat.

AggieTJ2007
03-26-2009, 02:51 PM
I found that a sawzall works faster and better than the cutoff wheels, but a torch is the fastest just be careful not to blow any extra holes in the frame

Fredo
03-26-2009, 02:52 PM
For the moment it will be a 208. Possibly in the future it could be a 241 205 doubler. Either way it will be clocked flat.

is that going to be behind the multiple sm465 tranny setup?

Doug Krebs
03-26-2009, 03:26 PM
is that going to be behind the multiple sm465 tranny setup?

exactly...

Sharpe
03-26-2009, 04:41 PM

If you dont have a 241 already I have (IIRC) 2 np242's and one np218. They are out of military hummers and the front half is more or less identical to a 241 and 208, respectively. The only major difference that I can see from the outside is the hummre cases have cooler hose barbs and from what I've read online, they are fulltime 4wd. If you are interested in trying to use them, I will give you one of the 242's if you help me make a version of the doubler. Since The 'Corn will never actually exist we can test out whatever you come up with in Pigpen. If it will hold up behind the 8.1, it'll hold up behind whatever turd of a motor you decide to use.