PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help with Ford 8.8 swap

LostJeeper
02-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Hey I'm new to the board and I'm hoping to find some help. I have a ford 8.8 in the garage and the brackets from M.O.R.E. to do the swap into my TJ. I need someone who can do the welding and maybe help with the swap. I'm not looking to debate the merits of the axle, just need some help in CS. I can pay or you can have the dana 35 after the swap or some other deal. Thanks!!

Sharpe
02-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Are the MORE brackets weld on? What all is involved in this swap?

BMFScout
02-05-2009, 01:40 PM
I can't help, but I have done that same swap.

What we did was get the jeep at ride height and pull the rear wheels. Then got the 8.8 on jack stands next to the jeep with the pinion at the same angle as the one in the jeep. Once both axles were in the same orientation, I started pulling measurements and angles to make sure the new brackets were in the same location/orientation as the stock axle, and tacked them all on.

You don't need a different master cylinder or wheel spacers, but I did use the e-brake cables that M.O.R.E. provides, made it really easy and the emergency brake worked great when we were done. I believe the driveshaft should work with the ford axle flange, but if you need a driveshaft length modification, one of the driveshaft places in town can do it for less than $100. The YJ I did needed a modifcation, and we used a conversion u-joint instead of getting the driveshaft modified. (Not my idea) If you have any other questions, ask here. It is a great swap for a TJ/YJ running 35" tires or less, IMO.

Mine was a disc brake axle, is yours disc or drum? The other thing you might think about doing is fully welding the tubes to the pumpkin, I have seen cases of them spinning. I have also heard the carrier is weak in the 8.8, might think about putting in a full case detroit when you get the skrilla.