PDA

View Full Version : spring break trip(s)

froader03
11-19-2002, 07:11 PM
let's start getting some ideas for spring break trips. nick suggested hot springs, arkansas. anybody else?

lissa
11-19-2002, 07:13 PM
indiana
lissa

Matt Conlee
11-19-2002, 07:57 PM
Las Cruses was a fun trip. The drive wasnt to bad the accomadations were good and we had good weather. The trails were very challenging and some obstacles required the use of a winch. More rocks and Less Trees

fbronco86
11-19-2002, 08:39 PM
Hot Springs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The old man at Barnwell said it was a good place. Superlift also gave him his lift for that J20 he drives around so he might be a bit biased. Hot springs had a write up in Offroad mag it looks like a fun place.

Jackasic
11-19-2002, 08:44 PM
I'm up for Cruces again, I think I'll have the next round of Scout mods done by then. I would love to go back to Farmington, but the competion will prevent any chance of wheeling.

redcagepatrol
11-19-2002, 10:58 PM
I think we should spend two days in Cruses wheeling the trails that we didn't finish last time (Tabasco Twister etc...) and then drive to Farmington for a day in the playground, and then drive to the Avalanche Ranch for a final day of wheeling
Cruses
http://casey.stvin.org/photos/tabasco2
http://casey.stvin.org/photos/rocotillo

Farmington - there are TONS of pics of here
http://www.pbase.com/sas4813/farmington_day_3
http://casey.stvin.org/photos/arca2002
http://casey.stvin.org/photos/rockgarden
http://casey.stvin.org/photos/arca2001
http://casey.stvin.org/photos/rockcrawling2

Avalanche Ranch
http://www.avalancheohvranch.com/

Lynda
11-20-2002, 10:58 AM
-Sounds good in theory Scott, but I see break downs making all that moving not feasable for a large group(if enough go).
-Anyone know anymore about Indiana?
-I am all for going to Las Cruces again...I would like to get some more wheeling in there.

aggielr
11-20-2002, 11:08 AM
no one wants to go to the hammers or rubicon? i've talked about it w/ a friend who lived in california for a while, we're not sure if we want to drive that far yet, but maybe, if not there, then probably cruces or moab

BigRedFord04
11-20-2002, 12:25 PM
if you try to drive to the rubicon it'll take you 3 days to get there and 3 days to get back...respectively, that doesnt leave much time for wheeling. you wanna spend 6 of your 10 break days on the highway?

aggielr
11-20-2002, 07:06 PM
true, if we do go, we'll drive during the night also, it would be a helleva trip, but maybe worth it, this will be my last spring break trip hopefully

redcagepatrol
11-24-2002, 12:59 PM
My plan:
leave 7:00am sat morning March 9th
Arrive Cruses 13 hours later - set up camp and sleep
Sunday the 10th. - Wheel Cruses
Monday the 11 - Wheel Cruses
Tuesday the 12th pack up, drive to Farmington - 7 hour drive
Wednesday the 13th - wheel Farmington
Thursday the 14th - Wheel Farmington
Friday the 15th - Wheel Avalanche - 1 hour drive away - day trip
Sat the 16th drive home.

Hows that sound?
Any suggestions, additions, subtractions, ect....

BMFScout
11-24-2002, 05:59 PM
I like that idea, but when you go to Farmington, I was thinking Taos sounded pretty ggod, maybe wheel one more day at cruces and then hit the slopes for a day or two, anyone like skiing? Off-roading and skiing in one week, that would be cool, and by cool I mean totally sweet...

eight
11-24-2002, 10:37 PM
I think farmington is a little too far. That's at least 3 full days of highway with a really long trip (~16hr in a good vehicle, 24 hr in off road rig) back home. Do you think we could wheel just cruces for a week. I've never been to the place so I don't know how big it is or anything. I think I'd like hot springs too. I've never been there either but its closer.

Jackasic
11-24-2002, 10:43 PM
it can be done in a loooong day of driving from CS. I like the schedual so far. I might favor 3 days somewhere wheeling and two days in Pagosa/Wolf creek for skiing. It is then only a 14 to 16 hour drive home from CO.

Wolf Creek (http://www.wolfcreekski.com/)

Jackasic
11-24-2002, 10:45 PM
here is a map. not too far from Farmington either. I would consider three days of runs there also.

http://www.wolfcreekski.com/images/WorkingMap2copy.jpg

aggielr
11-24-2002, 11:20 PM
assuming Nikki can even go, we'd only be able to wheel a couple of days, she has to work spring break, but hopefully not all, so we would be up for a couple days in cruces, and headin back here

eight
11-25-2002, 12:16 AM
Ski Apache in Ruidoso is really close to las cruces. It's a fairly big place with plenty of nice black trails. Greens and blues too if you're scared.

BMFScout
11-25-2002, 01:13 AM
My plan:
leave 9:00am (7:00am is too early :)) sat morning March 9th
Arrive Cruses 13 hours later - set up camp and sleep
Sunday the 10th. - Wheel Cruses
Monday the 11 - Wheel Cruses
Tuesday the 12th- wheel cruces morning/afternoon, pack up an drive to ruidoso, 2.5 hours
Wednesday the 13th - ski ruidoso
Thursday the 14th - ski ruidoso
Friday the 15th - drive to Plano
Sat the 16th- fix scout and explain to dad where all the dents/breakage came from
Sun- drive back to college station

I found a pretty cool sounding camp ground in ruidoso, here is the link
fat tall man campsite, I'm not real good at spanish, it may mean something else... (http://www.greatcampingspots.com/Directory/Detail.asp?ID=1368&Page=&Keyword=&Province=NM&CountryID=223&Distance=25&City=ruidoso&Sort=ASC&Order=List_Province) It could be like the one on national lampoon's vacation, but it sounds good.

I think Scott's plan is more driving/wheeling than I am up for, but it would be very cool. I would be willing to substitute taos, but I'm not driving all the way to CO, if I went that far, I would skip the cruces part and spend the whole week skiing...Has anyone ever skiied Ruidoso? I've been to Taos but it has been a few years.

The Smokey the Bear historical state park is also near ruidoso, we could see the smokey the bear museum, I'm in...

AgDieseler
11-25-2002, 06:37 AM
Of the places that I have been, Taos was by far the best value. Nothing was too expensive in town, the slopes are a short drive away, hamburgers on the mountain don't cost $15, and the runs are awesome!! I would definitely be up for anything involving Taos.

Jackasic
11-25-2002, 09:06 AM
No Ruidoso for me. Too much like skiing in VT with my emploies:D

I am personaly looking for blues and blacks and a bigger mountain. It all depends on how long you guys want to go, the experiance level, and what type of trail you want to attack.

That place is good for a day trip or and afternoon. But not big enough for any more. Here some maps to look at.

Ski Apache
http://www.skiruidoso.com/images/apache_full_map.jpg

Wolf Creek
http://www.skimaps.com/web/Trailmaps/Fullsize/Wolf_Creek.jpg

other ski maps (http://www.skimaps.com/web/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=4&tabid=8&regionID=1)

mark
11-25-2002, 09:28 AM
Wolf Creek is only a couple hours up the road from Taos. Wolf Creek has by far better snow, but not the accomidations that Taos has. Wolf Creek is also a bit less expensive.

Riodoso will be sketchy in terms of snow at spring break. I would not count on it that late in the season.

Here is a more current map (http://www.wolfcreekski.com/images/trail_map_hirez02.jpg) of Wolf Creek. They have continued the development of the back country glade skiing area (left side of map).

-Mark

redcagepatrol
12-02-2002, 08:25 AM
New suggestion - Same as Jimmy's

Leave sat morning.
arrive alive in Cruses 12 hours later, set up camp etc...
Wheel Cruses Sunday
Wheel Cruses Monday
Wheel Cruses Tuesday or move on to somplace else.

I think that Tuesday or Wednesday we could all split off and do our seperate things, some go skiing in one place, some to others, some do more wheeling in Farmington / Avalanche etc...

That's it kids, get the trucks ready - don't forget the fixin on the tow rigs.

eight
12-02-2002, 05:27 PM
Just another thought. We could wheel cruces for a few days and then spend a day at the frio or nueces river by uvalde on the way back.

fbronco86
12-02-2002, 08:28 PM
i think its gonna take a little bit longer than 12 hours. well for me it is i am gonna pull the bronco and dougy's blazer.

redcagepatrol
02-05-2003, 10:15 AM
who's still in? We are all starting in Cruses - I think I am getting a hotel with priority points

Shaggy
02-05-2003, 10:47 AM
me:D

stinger7401
02-05-2003, 11:01 AM
I'm in.....

lissa
02-05-2003, 02:55 PM
im going, i have to find somebody to pull me up there so if anyone has a truck and trailor let me know
lissa

Jackasic
02-05-2003, 03:23 PM
i'm in and I will probably trailer the bizach. :flipoff2:

redcagepatrol
02-07-2003, 01:43 PM
One more suggestion - just a thought for those with significant others:
leave saturday morning
arrive cruses 12 hrs later, settle in.
wheel Cruses sunday
wheel cruses monday
Tuesday - drive to Florence Junction AZ, 7 hr drive, wheel afternoon?
Wednesday - wheel trails at Florence junction / N. Phoenix
Thursday - wheel Florence Junction in am, drive to Sedona in pm (3 hr drive)
Friday - relax in Sedona
Saturday & Sunday drive home, 21 hrs

just thought I would throw that out there, there are some SWEET trails in AZ.

redcagepatrol
02-07-2003, 02:05 PM
I plan on bringing a welder, torch, grinder, steel, and plenty of spare parts - ain't nothing gona screw up my week of wheeling...
I will have:
spare axles
spare dirveshafts
spare third members
misc nuts and bolts
DUCK tape
bailing wire

Krawler68
02-07-2003, 02:34 PM
it's bad ass you'll be prepared... no one else will be... :D

I like the way your post lost its signifgence when a mod erased all my extraneous comments on this thread.

Doug

redcagepatrol
02-07-2003, 02:38 PM
dangit that sucks - who needs the beat'n???

redcagepatrol
02-10-2003, 10:40 PM
This is where I wan to go after Cruces:

http://www.azrockcrawler.com/
http://4wheeldrive.about.com/cs/arizonatrails/index.htm

Look at the trail pics - those trails are SWEET

After wheeling in AZ, we can relax in a Sedona resort. The red-rock in Sedona in beautiful

Doug Krebs
02-10-2003, 11:47 PM
I'm posting this for Ryan Busa. He wants a rider to go with him so he can split the cost of driving there. Let me know if you are interested. Thanks - Doug

K-Figgity
02-12-2003, 06:20 PM
I'm up for a little skiing and off-roading!

CRaSHnBuRN
02-12-2003, 07:17 PM
It looks like I'll probally be riding with busa. The boss said I could have the week off (or maybe thats just her way of saying I'm fired :D) After cruces I say we go to Az. Those are some bad looking trails.

Chadnutz
02-12-2003, 09:16 PM
Diesel prices up 20 cents in one week. I'm working all spring break....

JB
02-12-2003, 09:37 PM
i will be in Padre for the Break, anyone else going?

bburris
02-12-2003, 09:56 PM
what days?

the first half Stef is coming here, but the second half I will just have class...

yes, that means TAMU-CC sucks big donkey nuts and is the only university that decided to have Spring Break the 17-21:mad: :mad: :mad:

Seth
02-12-2003, 10:29 PM
nutz - how many miles a week do you drive and what kind of fuel mileage are you getting?
Seth

JB
02-13-2003, 12:10 AM
I will be there the Monday-Sat morning, 10-15. We got a suite at the Sheraton.:D

Chadnutz
02-13-2003, 07:59 AM
150-180 miles

Seth
02-13-2003, 09:59 AM
ok nutz lets think here - we will do best and worst case -- then maybe a trip scenario -- say you are getting 10 mpg and 180 miles per week - then at 20 cents more per gallon you are spending a whoping 3.60 extra a week. best case - 20 mpg and 150/week you spend 1.80 extra a week. now for a trip -- say you go 1000 miles - the worst case - if every where fuel was 20 cents heigher than it was before and you get 10 mpg - then you will spend 20 bucks extra over what you would have before.. i just dont get why a 20 cent aka 20 extra bucks - would make or break a trip for you.

Seth

Doug Krebs
02-13-2003, 10:54 AM
Not to be too over moderating here, but please just talk about the actual trip. Please don't have a conversation on why or how your not going. Thanks, and have a special day!:D

eight
02-13-2003, 11:43 AM
The trip to Cruces is about 740 miles one way.

What's everyone still planning on doing? I'm not up for all the driving in Scott's plan and I'm sure more of you aren't either. How many days of wheeling can Cruces provide? Is there nothing near our route where we could wheel a day or so?

redcagepatrol
02-13-2003, 02:04 PM
you could wheel Mason on the way out to Cruses... There are enough trails in Cruses to keep you happy for a week, but some of us have already run most of them and are looking for something different. See you in Cruces - Happy trails:D :D

CRaSHnBuRN
02-13-2003, 02:11 PM
Hey scott, I'm in class right now, so I can't call him to find out, but do you know how big of trailer busa is going to be towing, and how many rigs he is going to have on it? The way he has been talking to me it sounds like he is only pulling his toy. I was going to just ride along, but after talking to nick I feel like trying to bring my truck if possible. I'm riding with Busa no matter what, but I would like to bring my toy along if there is room somewhere.

redcagepatrol
02-13-2003, 02:17 PM
will fix sig in second,

As for Busa, he doen't want to pull a large gooseneck and only wants to pull his tow on a small trailer. I am using his utility trailer for Lynda and Mine is going up on Greg's next to his beast. It will be a waste to bring your truck and not wheel it... Call him and try to talk him into a large gooseneck...

CRaSHnBuRN
02-13-2003, 02:29 PM
If my truck comes, I will wheel it. My problem was coming up with a tow rig and a trailer (plus I still have a lot of things I really need to do to my truck). I figured at least if I rode with busa I would get a chance to check some of these places out, but the more I think about it the more I want to take my truck. I'll try to call him later after I'm out of class.

Krawler68
02-13-2003, 02:44 PM
Is greg's rig going to be done?

Doug

CRaSHnBuRN
02-13-2003, 02:49 PM
Which one? Yesterday he was talking like he might just try to get the yota done and bring it. But still no axle shafts for the jeep as of last night.

Krawler68
02-13-2003, 02:53 PM
I thought the Toy was already done?

Are these shafts Broached or flanged shafts? It shouldn't be that hard to get the measurements and get a custom shaft sent from Cone Ind. or CTM... I would get Avalanche to refund my money on the shaft too...

Doug

redcagepatrol
02-13-2003, 03:31 PM
the Yota has a TERRIBLE front driveshaft angle and will require the front knuckles to be rotated or less lift, or a high pinion. Also, there is no reliable steering

As for the axleshaft- taled to them yesterday too, still searching for the right one - which order is mine type of deal - or was it ever ordered???

He said that he will OWN Avalanche if his stuff isn't on his truck by spring break - Wood's group/Mustang lawers invloved...

Krawler68
02-13-2003, 03:37 PM
I'll buy some of the tools off him if he gets the shop... :D :D

I still think he should have called Cone Ind. a long time ago and got it moving.

Doug

Doug Krebs
02-13-2003, 05:24 PM
I will definately not be making an escapade to arizona. I'll be around cruces.

redcagepatrol
02-18-2003, 11:11 AM
I have tallied up the DRIVERS:
me
Lynda
Higgs
Higgs dad/Rosy
Lissa
Busa
Cody
Johnathon Tate
Nick
Ryan Kopecki
Brandon
Landon
Doug Krebs
Mike (with Bronco)
David (dieselboy)
Jimmy Mancusco
Vernon
Troy
I count 18 trucks going to Las Cruces - this will be an interesting trip!

If there is a mistake in this list PM me so I can undate it.

Doug Krebs
02-18-2003, 11:24 AM
Hmmm i'm not sure about rex, i don't think he is going unless he changed something in the last day or so.

fbronco86
02-18-2003, 12:00 PM
umm yes i would like to stay around the las cruses area. ryan you said something about the frio river. If its warm that could be a good idea wheel for a few days and then do that. also i was wandering what we need to do for the camping arragements do we need to call ahead and get a reserve a spot at las cruses?

fbronco86
02-18-2003, 12:02 PM
FYI Mike (with bronco)=Mike Knoeller :D

redcagepatrol
02-18-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by fbronco86
umm yes i would like to stay around the las cruses area. ryan you said something about the frio river. If its warm that could be a good idea wheel for a few days and then do that. also i was wandering what we need to do for the camping arragements do we need to call ahead and get a reserve a spot at las cruses?

We stayed here last time:
Best View RV Park
814 Weinrich Road (Just off 70 & I-10)
(505) 526-6555
(800) 526-6555 Resevations only

other places listed on the Las Cruces 4x4 club page here: http://yoda.zianet.com/lcfwdc/index2.html

Our little group will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express because I can get free rooms with my points.

BMFScout
02-18-2003, 07:01 PM
The Best View RV park was really cool, but also VERY windy at dusk/night. Are we going to get any yokles to guide us, or just trust that troy can find off-broadway again :flipoff2:

eight
02-18-2003, 08:00 PM
They've got GPS coordinates on their site. Anybody got one of those? I think I can borrow one.

What do yall camp in at this RV park, tents? Or do they have some sort of hotel also? I guess they probably have tent sites with water and electricity, and a bath house.

BigRedFord04
02-18-2003, 08:23 PM
i've got one someone can borrow w/ a small deposit or guarantee to buy another one if you f*ck it up.

Doug Krebs
02-18-2003, 09:24 PM
i got dibs, if not walmart rent:D

Rex
02-18-2003, 10:11 PM
Yeah, sorry, i'd really like to go on the spring break trip, but i don't have the funds right now. :(

J Cooper
02-19-2003, 12:00 AM
ive got a GPS

redcagepatrol
02-19-2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by BMFScout
Are we going to get any yokles to guide us, or just trust that troy can find off-broadway again :flipoff2:

I wouldn't trust Troy for trail leading... If he is going somewhere, it will probably be on the extreme trails that we didn't get to last time (Tabasco Twister and Rocotillo Rapids). Everyone should do some research and figure out what trails to run and how to get there. There are plenty of websites that give the GPS coordinates of each trail, each with trail ratings and directions.
this is a good website for trails and directions: http://4wheeldrive.about.com/cs/newmexicotrails/index.htm

Everyone also needs to make their own hotel/camping arrangments - keep in mind that you can get lower rates with big groups if everyone gets together and someone starts making a few phone calls...

About the wind and dust - I was under the impression last time that is wasn't that normal when we were there fromt he guys we were hanging out with.

fbronco86
02-19-2003, 10:31 AM
alright who is up for the camping thing. or getting together to get a room

fbronco86
02-19-2003, 10:33 AM
thanks for the info scott. plus i am gonna bring my gps with me

J Cooper
02-19-2003, 11:48 AM
i like the sharing room idea, just pack like 10 people in one room with sleeping bags, that will save alot of money.

Shaggy
02-19-2003, 02:53 PM
someone make plans for the room and i'll throw in my part

eight
02-19-2003, 03:55 PM
I just called all the places that sounded cheap and the best rates I got were for 4 people with 2 queen beds: Motel 6 - $49, and Super 8 - 42.37. And for 2 beds but they'll allow 6 people: Days Inn - 60, Super 8 - 57.88. So about $10 per person per night. I checked openings for the nights of the 9th - 14th. Or there's tent camping at the Best View park. Camp site has water and electricity plus a bath house in the park for $16 for 2 tents max 5 people. Also another place for $8 for 1st person + $2 each aditional up to 5 people. Anybody interested PM me.

Must check on parking for the tow rigs and all vehicles.

Doug Krebs
02-19-2003, 04:12 PM
We will talk about camping tonight, but I'm in for camping, so is my brother, and my girlfriend.

redcagepatrol
02-20-2003, 08:44 AM
The best view RV park has a storage area that they let us park our trailers at. It is gated so get everything out of the tow rig before you park it there:D

fbronco86
02-20-2003, 12:50 PM
alright i am up for the camping thing. I am going to have me and my girlfriend, the diesel and trailer and bronco.

redcagepatrol
02-24-2003, 09:03 AM
Busa needs a passenger to help with fuel. Chris had to back out.

Anyone???

We will be running the extreme trails, alway a guarenteed good time. Mucho action

J Cooper
02-24-2003, 12:04 PM
i might, if ryan-eight doesnt have a big enough trailer for my jeep... ill let you know

J Cooper
02-26-2003, 05:57 PM
i dont think im gonna make it out to crusis, money is a bitch!! I might just go see my dad in Port A and go fishing and check out the beach.

redcagepatrol
02-27-2003, 08:01 AM
ride with Busa, his number is 979-820-0110 - you will definitly be missing out:D

BMFScout
02-27-2003, 09:30 AM
Does anyone else want to ski after a couple/few days of wheeling? Taos or ruidoso is where we were thinking.

J Cooper
02-27-2003, 11:57 AM
ride with Busa, his number is 979-820-0110 - you will definitly be missing out

i want to its just i have 2 rents to may this month and all the bills and i just bought that Holley projection kit with no job.... ill figure it out by weds if im going or not.

redcagepatrol
02-27-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by J Cooper

i want to its just i have 2 rents to may this month and all the bills and i just bought that Holley projection kit with no job.... ill figure it out by weds if im going or not.

did someone say "credit cards"??? One in a lifetime opertunity, you can pay it off later - not that I endorse going into dept, but you are only young once:D :D

J Cooper
02-27-2003, 12:12 PM
if i had credit cards i would be all over it and i would be taking my jeep too. but i dont, they wont let me have them --- Ford Credit (my mom taking over my truck payment and not paying it for six months will do that) i put the projection on a friends credit card..... so i might be a post hore on ebay this next week

also if for some crazy reason i do find a job i need to know when ill be back in town so that im not fired the first 2 weeks.

J Cooper
02-27-2003, 12:15 PM
One in a lifetime opertunity
THATS FOR MAKING ME FEEL BETTER ABOUT THE SITUATION SCOTT!!!! :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

redcagepatrol
02-27-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by J Cooper
also if for some crazy reason i do find a job i need to know when ill be back in town so that im not fired the first 2 weeks.

You will be back by Sunday, March the 16th.

J Cooper
02-27-2003, 12:26 PM
ill see what i can do.... a couple hundred dollars probably?

redcagepatrol
02-27-2003, 12:34 PM
yep, we go pretty cheap too, splitting hotel room costs 4+ ways

Doug Krebs
02-27-2003, 02:42 PM
I figure 208 in gas alone. To las cruces and back is 1480 miles, at 1.55 and 11 miles to the gallon. so + 100 for food and other stuff. so i'm figuring for myself $300 if nothing goes wrong:D

so for you??? i would say $152 for diesel assuming 16 miles to the gallon and 1.65. so divide that in half and add food and lodging.

Not sure if busa is going as far as scott and all them but if not you should pay about 75 for diesel and then how ever much more. I'm camping so that should be fairly cheap.

Doug Krebs
03-02-2003, 02:41 AM
Ok checked on the campsites today and we are good to go. The only problem is he said their storage lot is pretty full and he doesn't know how much room he has for trailers, but he said he'll figure something out!!! Can't wait to go, hopefully i can get everything together iin time!!!!!!!

J Cooper
03-03-2003, 01:28 AM
ok nevermind im out again, gonna do the beach thing AGAIN

fbronco86
03-03-2003, 02:49 PM
alright when do you sailors want to leave. i was thinking early sat morning. it would be nice to get to camp before it got dark setting up stuff at night just sucks. Also i noticed between sonora and fortstockon which is about 197 miles or so there are no exxon gas stations that have diesel. So i am gonna bring some extra fuel in the back of the truck. may not be a bad idea for you gaser peeps.

ryan are you gonna leave from here or home? and if you leave from home can you get some firewood?

redcagepatrol
03-03-2003, 02:59 PM
you will be driving in the dark no matter what if you plan on making it in one day. It is a 14 hour drive from College Station - 741 miles on Mapquest.

Sunset is 6:06pm, so you would have to leave around 4:06am to GET THERE before dark (much less set up camp).

I personally am driving to San Antonio friday night and staying with my parents before heading out early sat. morning.

Chadnutz
03-03-2003, 03:19 PM
fbronco, you can't go 500 miles between stops? at least 400 towing something?

redcagepatrol
03-03-2003, 03:20 PM
chadnutz doesn't pull much...:p

Krawler68
03-03-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by redcagepatrol
chadnutz doesn't pull much...:p

I was thinking the same thing... in my truck I'm lucky to make it 400 miles without a trailer... :flipoff2:

35's and 4.10 gears take their toll on mileage.

Doug

redcagepatrol
03-03-2003, 04:14 PM
I can push 550 miles if I drive easy without a trailer, but that drops closer to 300 with a trailer.

Doug Krebs
03-03-2003, 04:15 PM
The meeting agenda has said 8:00 A.M. Saturday morning, but I want to leave earlier. At least 7:00 A.M. Anyone have a problem with that??

fbronco86
03-03-2003, 04:44 PM
yeah i can go about 400miles on diesel. I have towed stuff with my truck but i am not sure what kinda mileage i am gonna get. i am thinking around 13-14 mpg. i have non turbo power will 4.10 rear end gears. i do have overdrive so that helps. I have a problem with the leave time i think we should leave at 6am at the latest. i would leave at 4am but i dont think other peeps would like too. for 6am or 4am there is not much difference waking up that early its all the same. you are gonna sit in the truck for 14 hours anyway. I am gonna make my girlfriend drive on I-10 while i take a nap. haha

fbronco86
03-03-2003, 04:56 PM
ok how about we have the diesels run together and the gasers run together. i would really like to know how fast you peeps are gonna drive with a trailer.

fbronco86
03-03-2003, 04:58 PM
hey peeps what about the time change how does that affect the time when we get there??

fbronco86
03-03-2003, 05:02 PM
i think that takes 2 hours off making so if we left at 4:06am it would be 4:06pm when we got there. someone check me on that which puts us 2 hours before sunset

btw thanks scott for the sunset time

Chadnutz
03-03-2003, 05:43 PM
My mileage barely changed pulling that Toyota Cressida home on an aluminum trailer. I realize that an off road rig and a good trailer weight more, but the distance is only 200 miles! Scott, have you pulled 8k yet? ;)

bburris
03-03-2003, 05:57 PM
the time difference between here and NM is only one hour - it changes around El Paso

Shaggy
03-03-2003, 05:59 PM
i have... with my tired burban... bronco is ~6500 + the 20' 12,000 rated trailor... i figure that is atleast 8k

eight
03-03-2003, 06:18 PM
I'll be leaving from here, as long as I can use your tools Mike + Doug. I got a nice thick heavy tube for driveshaft. And I just noticed my clutch linkage is about to fall apart.

I think I'll let my little brother come. I'll make him bring wood.

Time zone difference is only 1 hour.

I'd like to wake up at noon and get there 4 hours later. Maybe I'll just go as an attachment in an email... I vote for 6am.

fbronco86
03-03-2003, 07:25 PM
ryan that sounds like a good idea to me make your little brother bring the wood. and the tools you can use

stinger7401
03-03-2003, 07:41 PM
Ryan: Sorry about not gettin back to ya sooner, I couldn't swing that trailer that i thought i would have, sorry bout that.

Scotty: I'm heading to San Antonio thursday night so i can make my p.s. box skid plate/brace on friday at our shop and put new tires on the trailer. What time do you plan on leaving Sat. mornin? I'll hook up with you somewhere in SA before we leave, I live out off 1604 and Blanco...

I'll try and bring wood too...

StevenAg03
03-03-2003, 09:58 PM
i dont think it is a good idea to seperate people based on what speeds they want to drive....just go in one group...

there will always be that one slow person that made it impossible to get somewhere like Albaquerkie(SP?) in one night....like james...his truck just wouldnt pull the weight he had on it....:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

if it wasnt for having to fix his towbar in Abilene, we would have made it....

on second thought....maybe it was my truck that was problematic...:D

BigRedFord04
03-03-2003, 10:48 PM
should maybe someone who's going put up a poll to decide when to leave? maybe two for the diff groups? just an idea.

Chadnutz
03-03-2003, 11:04 PM
You're pimpin' low RPMs eight. What gears do you have?

Broncocustom
03-04-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by StevenAg03

there will always be that one slow person that made it impossible to get somewhere like Albaquerkie(SP?) in one night....like james...his truck just wouldnt pull the weight he had on it....:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

if it wasnt for having to fix his towbar in Abilene, we would have made D

The tow bar was a quick fix while we were stoped to eat lunch and I seem to remember finishing fixing the tow bar and you were still shocking your self with the spark plug wires. I also seem to remember I was not the slowest person all the time.

Last year when on the main highways we were pushing about 80 mph. I only had a trailer and a jeep but Greg had the 32 foot gooseneck with 2 trucks and 2 dirt bikes.

Also just remember that the computer says it is 14 hours to Los Cruses but when driving in a tamor group the time could change to 20 hours if problems happen and they almost always do.

Chadnutz
03-04-2003, 09:39 AM
I'll bet that convoy is a sight to see....

StevenAg03
03-04-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Broncocustom

The tow bar was a quick fix while we were stoped to eat lunch and I seem to remember finishing fixing the tow bar and you were still shocking your self with the spark plug wires. I also seem to remember I was not the slowest person all the time.

yeah yeah.....i know...just jokin around

jmancuso
03-04-2003, 10:17 AM
Who is leaving from College Station, and at what time?

fbronco86
03-04-2003, 11:26 AM
alright peeps we have 4 days until we are leaving. me and ryan what to leave at 6am. lets deicide a time to leave and lets get a route

jmancuso
03-04-2003, 12:41 PM
I'm guessing you are talking about 6 AM Saturday, I would like to go now but that is ok with me.

Route: College Station to Austin,……. 290 to I10,…… I 10 to Las Cruces!

fbronco86
03-04-2003, 04:07 PM
i was thinking 21 to bastrop and then on down to san marcos then I-35 to loop 1604 to I-10.

BigRedFord04
03-04-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Broncocustom
...I seem to remember finishing fixing the tow bar and you were still shocking your self with the spark plug wires...
guess it takes a few times for steve to learn his lesson...when my truck was still running on the pre-rebuilt motor and i thought it was the plug wire he decided to test to see if they were workin' by grabbing them :rolleyes: :flipoff2: he made a pretty funny noise to boot :D

fbronco86
03-04-2003, 04:54 PM
i think the interstates are going to be faster than the blue method no little towns to stop in

Krawler68
03-04-2003, 04:57 PM
Red is BY FAR the best route... make sure you come in before or after rush hour though.

Doug

Matt Conlee
03-04-2003, 04:57 PM
I live right off highway 46 by Gaudalupe state park if you guys have any trouble on the way back or just want to take a break your more than welcome to come on over and have a cold one

fbronco86
03-04-2003, 05:00 PM
yeah we will send doug your way if he breaks down haha

crawlingno5
03-04-2003, 05:05 PM
any of yall ever driven to el paso?

BigRedFord04
03-04-2003, 05:05 PM
the only problem with the red route is that it goes thru Austin and has to pass under I35 @ Ben White...that is very possibly the WORST intersection in Austin. If y'all leave @ 6, even though it'll be saturday, you will get there @ 8 and there will still be A LOT of people out driving seeing as how its the 1st day of spring break for every major school in Texas.

fbronco86
03-04-2003, 05:12 PM
my mircosoft pos program says my rounte is longer but faster than the red route. mine blue 13.35 is hours and red is 15.23 hours. i would much rather pull my trailer on the interstate than 290 without a shoulder

lissa
03-04-2003, 05:16 PM
We are going to leave from Dallas, gettin th trailer and probably St. John and the cherokee from hell. Leaving early on saturday morning. If anyone else wants to leave from Dallas let me know...
Jimmy

stinger7401
03-04-2003, 11:35 PM
ok heres the scoop from someone who has traveled all of these roads. It most definately wouldnt be any faster to on 46 (blue) if you choose to head south. 290 is the staightest route but it does have its fair share of small towns with stop lights and off course the dreded Austin which by the way is bad just about 24 hrs a day. The interstate even though being longer is much shorter. Then you might ask if its longer whats that gonna do to my gas, right? Well if you calculate in all the stops in the small towns on the 290 route and how much fuel it takes getting a truck and trailer going again the fuel issue is prolly the same.

I am personally leaving out of San Antonio saturday mornin with scott and whoever else. I can let a few people bunk over for the night but just not to many, if anyones interested e-mail me or call and we'll work it out.

stinger7401
03-05-2003, 11:00 AM
I have once again skipped another class due to the anticipation of spring break! THREE MORE DAYS!!!!

fbronco86
03-05-2003, 02:19 PM
green it is. alright 6am were are we gonna meet at to leave in the morning. we need a parking lot or room for trailers to park someplace.

redcagepatrol
03-05-2003, 03:15 PM
the lot behind McDonalds works great, and you can get breakfast also - spillover into the old Albersons lot if needed.

Doug Krebs
03-05-2003, 06:19 PM
We will decide when to leave tonight at the meeting, from when and where. If you leaving from college station, we will have a short meeting after the meeting about the trip. Thanks and gig em

fbronco86
03-06-2003, 02:04 PM
6am behind mac donalds

Shaggy
03-07-2003, 08:53 AM
alright i am heading to waco (in the bronco) to pick up the burban and trailor... when i get there i am gonna swap mud bumpers for stock ones and throw on some rock lights... i hope to get back to CS before dark.. see ya at mickey d's tomorrow ****ers:D

davido
03-17-2003, 01:45 PM
Continued here....

http://www.tamor.org/forum/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1623