PDA

View Full Version : Car lifts, what do you prefer, frame or tire lifts?

KrazyKarl02
03-08-2009, 01:22 AM
My old man is going to purchase a lift. He is debating over getting a lift that raises the car by the tires or a frame lift.

A frame lift allowes removal of tires for brake work

A tire lift might be more stable

What is the consensus?

DRAGOONRANCH
03-08-2009, 01:38 AM
If I had my druthers, a frame lift. It allows much better access in my opinion. While you may have to do a bit better prep work to mount it correctly, I think it is worth it.

Graystroke
03-08-2009, 01:44 AM
both!
two post does give better access. you can get trolleys w/ air jaclks for four post that allows you to lift the wheels off the ramps. I always liked the four post b/c it is stable. w/ the trolleys you get close to a two post. the four post gives you place to lay your tools.
if you ever yank a heavy axle out of a truck on two post make sure it won't cart wheel off. i guess you chain it down?

Seth
03-08-2009, 04:10 AM
2 post

Agrvr
03-08-2009, 09:37 AM
For quick jobs like brakes - drive on. Otherwise for pretty much anything else...2 post.

tigweld
03-08-2009, 10:36 AM
2 post assymetrical would be my first choice, four post take up way to much room. if you have a 2 post you almost have to buy a few screw jacks to make it safe to pull heavy ****. I think exhaust guy's are the only poeple that really need drive on's

KrazyKarl02
03-08-2009, 11:00 AM
For quick jobs like brakes - drive on. Otherwise for pretty much anything else...2 post.

If you drive it on, how do you take the tire off?

KrazyKarl02
03-08-2009, 11:02 AM
if you have a 2 post you almost have to buy a few screw jacks to make it safe to pull heavy ****.

What do you mean by this?

tigweld
03-08-2009, 11:08 AM
to keep the car stable and from cartwheeling, but you don't have to worry about this as much with a assymetrical (I have symetrical)

KrazyKarl02
03-08-2009, 11:30 AM
to keep the car stable and from cartwheeling, but you don't have to worry about this as much with a assymetrical (I have symetrical)

So you put a screw jack from the floor to the car?

tigweld
03-08-2009, 11:45 AM
yup if it's teeterin'

DRAGOONRANCH
03-08-2009, 12:13 PM
last I checked, between the car and the roof was not the prefered method...

KrazyKarl02
03-08-2009, 12:31 PM
last I checked, between the car and the roof was not the prefered method...

Damn you Ed, you come in and ruin every thread, I hate you, I am declaring a jihad on Ed!!!

Oh who am I kidding, I love Ed, though I truly think this is because of what his milkshake does to me....

DRAGOONRANCH
03-08-2009, 01:00 PM
I am declaring a jihad on Ed!!!

Get in line....

Oh who am I kidding, I love Ed, though I truly think this is because of what his milkshake does to me....

it does bring them all to the yard. ;)

Graystroke
03-08-2009, 01:04 PM
If you drive it on, how do you take the tire off?

it's usually an option...a lot of four post drive on's have two trolleys that glide back and forth (or one-you pay extra for two) and then either have a hydraulic or air bag type of scissor jack w/ pads on them that lift the car up off the ramps.

Graystroke
03-08-2009, 01:05 PM
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200336962_200336962

see here

Agrvr
03-08-2009, 01:42 PM
it's usually an option...a lot of four post drive on's have two trolleys that glide back and forth (or one-you pay extra for two) and then either have a hydraulic or air bag type of scissor jack w/ pads on them that lift the car up off the ramps.

That's how ours is. We have one drive on with a scissor jack that uses compressed air. The other three are two post symmetrical - they're better for access but they honestly make me nervous - especially with short wheelbase trucks like Defender 90s or short wheelbase Jeeps.

Agrvr
03-08-2009, 01:45 PM
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200336962_200336962

see here

Yep...that's pretty much like ours - except we only have one trolley jack. We only jack one axle up at a time when it's on the drive on.

We try to keep it open during the day - it's used for oil changes, inspections and diagnostics and brake jobs. If it's going to be on the lift for more than 1/2 a day it goes to one of the two posts.

BMFScout
03-08-2009, 02:35 PM
Me being the lazy bastard I am used the lift the other day to get the rockers of the accord up to chest level to wax. It was really sweet not having to bend over or sit on my ass in the driveway to wax that thing. I think a 4 post would really get in the way when doing **** like that, especially around the front and back. In my opinion, and it is pretty limited because I have never worked in a real shop, I think a 4 post is for oil changes, exhaust, quick maintenance work, and long term storage. I would want a two post for everything else. Something I have noticed is how much you can quickly diagnose things on a lift and how much more you see while walking under it as opposed to crawling around under it on the ground. Tire wear patterns, rock damage, oil leaks, etc. etc. If I would have known how badass it is working under a lift I would have pushed a lot harder for one a lot sooner.

davido
03-09-2009, 04:15 PM
FWIW, my friend's shop has a 4 post for the alignment, the rest of the 6 or so lifts are all 2 post.