PDA

View Full Version : TX to AZ and back - Let the updates begin.

davido
03-28-2009, 12:32 AM
The trip started off right today. I got stuck in the backyard of the Garden Acres house while going to pickup the trailer. We had to pickup the trailer with Kopecki's truck, drag it to the Fireside house, unload the Lemons truck, push the unpowered Lemons truck into the garage, load up the Cruiser (after installing the driveshaft and customizing the skid plate), drive back to Garden Acres, unload Cruiser, pull out truck, load Cruiser, drive back to Fireside, unhook truck from trailer, hookup my truck to trailer, check all tie downs, pack, scarf down dinner, hit the road. Tons of wind tonight! But alas we're here in Kerrville. 6AM will come early. Let the games begin. :)

DRAGOONRANCH
03-28-2009, 02:42 AM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f192/DRAGOONRANCH/GIFS/worthless.gif

Jackasic
03-28-2009, 08:20 AM
sounds about right for a TAMOR trip start, look forward to the pics.

redcagepatrol
03-29-2009, 07:22 PM
Sitting at a gas station on side of i10 about 1.5 hrs from El Paso. I've already change a flat and David O is changing one now. Dodge is averaging 6.7 mpg running 75-80 into wind. Going to be a long day - we changed PS pumps on both rigs already

StevenAg03
03-29-2009, 08:48 PM
we changed PS pumps on both rigs already

this on the Dodge and Chevy or on the trail rigs?

Busa
03-29-2009, 09:08 PM
They are on the trail rigs. Lynda and Dav's pumps when out at Trees.

william_ace
03-29-2009, 10:05 PM
Sitting at a gas station on side of i10 about 1.5 hrs from El Paso. I've already change a flat and David O is changing one now. Dodge is averaging 6.7 mpg running 75-80 into wind. Going to be a long day - we changed PS pumps on both rigs already

i was wondering why i saw you driving through San Antonio yesterday. i waved but doubtful you recognized me since i think i've only met you once

Graystroke
03-29-2009, 11:10 PM
that sucks w/ the flats...rears b/c of load? any reason for them?

DRAGOONRANCH
03-29-2009, 11:21 PM
that sucks w/ the flats...rears b/c of load? any reason for them?

Because Scott has yet to pay proper tribute to Jobu and exorcise the tire demons he carries with him....

Busa
03-30-2009, 06:54 AM
I was on my way back to Dallas. I did not got to go with them. I have to go back to work.

AggieTJ2007
03-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Because Scott has yet to pay proper tribute to Jobu and exorcise the tire demons he carries with him....

or not tow at 75-80 MPH

Doug Krebs
03-30-2009, 12:00 PM
or not tow at 75-80 MPH

Why would he want to do that? He actually might get 8 MPG!:flipoff2:

uglyota
03-30-2009, 03:13 PM

I say F you Jobu. I do it myself

Shaggy
03-30-2009, 05:59 PM
averaging 6.7 mpg running 75-80 into wind.

ouch... gonna be a high dollar trip

FJAggie07
03-30-2009, 07:30 PM
I say F you Jobu. I do it myself

Juuuuuuuuuuuust a bit outside. :gigem:

davido
03-31-2009, 12:59 AM
I'll hollywood my own for now.

Two waterfalls in the pics. The one of me standing next to the wall, I actually made it up that one. I think the only one in the group to drive it. I pulled up to it somewhat jokingly. Scott told me it was possible. Sure enough, the Cruiser just crawled it. Greg has video.

The other was the ridiculous wall that everyone had to winch up. You're literally hanging from the winch line. It's pretty wild. We have tons of pics and video of that also.

Good times so far. Lost 2.5 trailer tires on the way. Greg broke a hub today. I broke a spring which jammed the axle forward and now my CV is clicking. I also sheared a break line and developed a new oil leak. I sheared a air stem and held my thumb over it for literally an hour waiting for help to arrive. They were working on Kopecki's alternator about 50 yards back around a corner from where I was. Scott thinks I fell asleep on the ground with my thumb over the hole. He may be right. :) I banged up both sides as I was all but flopped both ways on the same obstacle. No video. Pics coming. That was today. Two days ago, both Scott and I retired power steering pumps at Trees Ranch. We spent a few hours changing them in the Ft. Stockton AutoZone parking lot (only thing open on Sundays).

That's about it so far. Licking our wounds tomorrow and heading to AZ.

Reckless
03-31-2009, 01:25 AM
thats a bad ass ledge this was at trees right? do ya remember what trail that was?

Busa
03-31-2009, 07:05 AM
No that is Las Cruces, New Mexico. That leg is getting bad. I wish i was there.

mudtoy67
03-31-2009, 07:59 AM
Good stuff. Maybe next year I'll have the FJ rolling and you can strap me through the trails while I make engine noises with my lips.:gigem:

eight
04-02-2009, 06:57 PM
I was making engine noises at about 1am this morning.

We put some adds on the internet Tuesday morning and a couple hours later I got a call from a guy that gave us a full set of cruiser springs so we could fix Dave's.

Got a late start yesterday after a long night of drinking and a morning of wrenching. Then Dave had some steering arm bolts come out on the way to the trails. He brought out the chevy and trailer for a recovery, good pictures of that one.

The rest of us drove around for a couple more hours and found highway to hell trail. On about obstacle 2 or 3 I blew a rear shaft. A quick change did not occur as the shaft was stuck in the carrier. After removing things that looked like pieces of side gear we put the shaft back in and kept going. Maybe 100 ft later I blew a front outer. Got that changed and got going and found that the rear with the broken shaft was locked. Pulled the broken shaft to find it still locked. Then gutted the brakes and cruised on only to strip the splines on the borrowed steering box / pitman arm. Welded those together and broke the welds a few times. Then my charging system went out on the way back to camp so Greg got to tow me the last few miles.

Greg's rig leaked alot of trans oil last night and today we found that the atlas is not so connected to the transmission anymore. After deciding it would be too much work to fix he dug his spare rig out of the trailer.

I think Scott found us a guide for Table Mesa tomorrow so we'll see if we can break the 3 remaining rigs.

I don't take pictures so I have none.

Busa
04-02-2009, 07:23 PM
I think i am glad i did not get to go with you all.

BMFScout
04-02-2009, 07:55 PM

If that makes you feel better about it, but you know you'd rather be right in the middle of all those broken parts. :gigem:

Busa
04-02-2009, 08:55 PM
Your right, but i would be pulling someone out of the trail

J Cooper
04-02-2009, 10:08 PM
... and cruised on only to strip the splines on the borrowed steering box / pitman arm. Welded those together and broke the welds a few times.

glad i could help... guess we can work out those details later.

that box had only been on like 4 trips.

redcagepatrol
04-02-2009, 10:39 PM
that box is really set up now - no nut needed....

I've got a bunch of pretty sweet pics from all places - but right now - it's beer drinking time..... We are on vacation:gigem:

DRAGOONRANCH
04-02-2009, 11:34 PM
that box is really set up now - no nut needed....

I've got a bunch of pretty sweet pics from all places - but right now - it's beer drinking time..... We are on vacation:gigem:

so it's the Lance Armstrong of steering boxes then???

where's the pictures?!?!??

Doug Krebs
04-02-2009, 11:34 PM
Damn david, that looks sweet!

Looks like good times!

eight
04-03-2009, 12:54 AM
glad i could help... guess we can work out those details later.

that box had only been on like 4 trips.

Yea, borrowed it for one trip, couldn't hurt it. The box did work much better than mine ever did.

uglyota
04-03-2009, 10:39 AM
I was making engine noises at about 1am this morning.

Engine or motorboat? :D
sounds like you guys are having a good time, despite the carnage!

BMFScout
04-03-2009, 10:42 AM
I had a dream last night that Davido tied a strap to the back or his cruiser, strapped in, and drove it off the top of a parking garage in Vegas with it anchored to a concrete light post. It was sweet, very Travis Pastrana Like. I thought it was real when I woke up. Good story I know.

JB
04-05-2009, 08:51 PM
pics!

Shaggy
04-06-2009, 07:33 AM
I saw scott and lynda towing her jeep and kopecki's rig on 1604 just outside I10 yesterday on my way home from work... didn't see any new body damage but I was going the other direction

redcagepatrol
04-06-2009, 09:06 AM
too much work, too many pics to sort thru right now... I'll see if I can get something posted later today

DRAGOONRANCH
04-06-2009, 09:31 AM
excuses, excuses....

:flipoff3:

davido
04-07-2009, 12:41 AM
Same here Scott. Almost 1000 unread emails! :eek:

It was a PITA getting ready and everyone knows how much I hate wrenching on my POS, but damn it was a great time. Worth every bit of expense and planning pain. Plus the office closed a huge deal while I was gone. Welcome home me. :)

More pics and details to come. Trailer woes. Part woes. Sick trail driving.

redcagepatrol
04-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Four new albums are up:
http://picasaweb.google.com/scott.n.lynda

I plan on writing something up to help us remember all of the fun involved.

I averaged 8.4mpg. Even got two tanks that came out right at 10mpg but we had a pretty heavy tailwind. Running 80mph and barely on the pedal

Eckert
04-07-2009, 09:51 PM
the late 60's dodge is badass.

JB
04-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Great pictures. Ditching the fakelocks now?

redcagepatrol
04-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Great pictures. Ditching the fakelocks now?

yes - time for the real thing I guess

Reckless
04-07-2009, 10:53 PM
the late 60's dodge is badass.
He was out there during memorial day weekend last year. even more badass up close

redcagepatrol
04-07-2009, 11:08 PM
It was pretty sweet, we led him to some trails after Lynda's rig was down (blew out a seal in the PS pump). Seemed to perform pretty good too.

Im in the process of doing a trip write up now - seems to be getting pretty long.

redcagepatrol
04-07-2009, 11:32 PM
Some of Mr. Higgs pics from his camera

redcagepatrol
04-07-2009, 11:33 PM
more

redcagepatrol
04-07-2009, 11:35 PM
more2

redcagepatrol
04-07-2009, 11:37 PM
more3

redcagepatrol
04-07-2009, 11:41 PM
more4 - starting in the Table Mesa area. the above pic of Jake holding the winch cable is right when we arrived and unloaded.

BTW - this is like the 8th state that Jacob has been in now and he is only 20 months old...

You'll notice that in Table Mesa Higgs are in their "spare" rig because the Atlas seperated from the tranny - which required the skidplate to be dropped. All of the link were mounted to the skid so it was deemed too much work...

redcagepatrol
04-07-2009, 11:43 PM
more5
notice how high that ledge is for a 35" tall tire in the previous pic... had to stack some rocks and drive high on the other side

redcagepatrol
04-07-2009, 11:45 PM
more6
not a bunch of winch points out in the desert...

redcagepatrol
04-07-2009, 11:47 PM
more7

redcagepatrol
04-07-2009, 11:49 PM
more8
The last trail we ran was called "Twisted" and it was completly sweet.

The other two trails were "Collateral Damage" and "Annaconda"

redcagepatrol
04-07-2009, 11:51 PM
and a few more of "Twisted" from Mr. Higgs Camera

notice how bad that buggys back left tire fell in - I was sure he was going to break but he ended up driving out with plenty of persistance - pretty unbelievable. Also - notice Daves front tire coming off below. The entrance into that crack was pretty steep AND high. I thought he was going to roll over backwords on his first approach...

eight
04-08-2009, 08:49 AM
He had both fronts off the ground on that.

redcagepatrol
04-08-2009, 08:56 AM
yep - he was pretty darn close to rolling over backwards. Good stuff. I'm glad we went over to find that trail before leaving.

jerryg79
04-08-2009, 08:56 AM
some of those pics are pretty impressive, like chit you see in magazines.

redcagepatrol
04-08-2009, 09:00 AM
pictures never do it justice either. The pictures we have of David walking up a 10 foot wall make it look like nothing but none of us even thought that he had a chance. Once he got the front tires to start climbing up the wall I don't even think the rears spun any, just climbed right up.

uglyota
04-08-2009, 09:03 AM
too cool. Whose 'pane rig?

Doug Krebs
04-08-2009, 09:04 AM
pictures never do it justice either. The pictures we have of David walking up a 10 foot wall make it look like nothing but none of us even thought that he had a chance. Once he got the front tires to start climbing up the wall I don't even think the rears spun any, just climbed right up.

alright, alright, take it easy. Keep this up and David O will get a big head:flipoff2:

mudtoy67
04-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Very cool stuff. Time to start on the mini-buggy for Jake so you don't have to carry him around like a china-man.:p

eight
04-08-2009, 09:12 AM
I'm glad we went over to find that trail before leaving.

Yes, glad we went to "take a look at" that trail.

redcagepatrol
04-08-2009, 09:34 AM
too cool. Whose 'pane rig?

some guy we met on the trail - heard about us coming out on the forums

uglyota
04-08-2009, 09:46 AM
is it EB-based? I think he's in one of the BTG vids

Lynda
04-08-2009, 09:48 AM

Oh Busa you would have LOVED it. Seriously, Highway to Hell was the coolest run at night! I think we got back at like 3:00am. Jacob just slept in the back of the Jeep the entire time, it was awesome. Three stage has always been my favorite night run...I think this beats it out ten fold.

At least now we know where the trail is so we can head it up again in another 5+ years :gigem:

redcagepatrol
04-08-2009, 09:56 AM
is it EB-based? I think he's in one of the BTG vids

yes and yes. Met some of the other BTG guys in Tuscon for the WeRock comp also - lots of KOH rigs and shirts etc... out there.

Busa
04-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Not 5 years like latter this year!!

robertf03
04-08-2009, 10:16 AM
what is btg?

Doug Krebs
04-08-2009, 10:33 AM
what is btg?

Bind, Torture, Gag!

redcagepatrol
04-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Built To Grind
http://www.azrockcrawler.com/

uglyota
04-08-2009, 12:27 PM
cool!

Seth
04-08-2009, 06:30 PM
badass. very jealous. er envious. whatever.

Graystroke
04-08-2009, 07:48 PM
great pics. those last ones in that crack are impressive. it looks like that thing can take a windshield out fairly quickly!

Lynda
04-09-2009, 08:13 AM
Not 5 years like latter this year!!

Chili Challenge? :confused2

Busa
04-09-2009, 08:26 AM
I may be going to KOH with PSC next year. If not then maybe Chili Challenge.

redcagepatrol
04-12-2009, 11:31 PM
a write up!!!!!

Moderators - feel free to move / post to the "Trip Write up Section"

It ended up being a little over 5 pages in Word.... Read the word document, I removed the first few days to make it paste

The 2009 AZ Trip Write-up

Tuesday 3-31-09
WOW – time to get parts and get on the road… Head to Discount tire. I get a new trailer tire to replace my blown one, David buys three new tires and rims. David heads to Sprint to get a phone but they will only overnight it to his office on warranty. Whitney overnights it to a UPS store in Phoenix. We then find a spare hub for David’s trailer, go get a sit-down lunch in Old town Mesilla and get on the road. While on the road I make about 100 phone calls to get a leaf spring for David. We have 1.5” lift springs and a spare Warn hub overnighted to the Phoenix 4-wheel parts and also end up finding some stock leafs on the other side of Phoenix that David heads over to get. No problems on the road to Phoenix. Greg and myself head down into the desert and set up camp while David and Kopecki head over to some guys place to get the springs. After Dave and Kopecki get back from the other side of town, we light the HUGE fire with crating drops that Higgs brought along and drink heavily till the wee hours of the night.

Wednesday 4-1-09 (April Fools day, hmmm what could that bring?)
Wake up late morning in the middle of the desert. Pop out of the tent and realized that we choose a pretty mice place to stop last night. Sweet scenery! Anyways, now time to get to work before hitting the trail. David starts to change his leaf spring while everyone else tears down their tents and stuff (Dave slept in his truck). He gets his leaf spring changed and realized that the CV on his rear driveshaft is gone. As luck might have it – Higgs had a spare that FIT! – so a little more time goes by while we change his driveshaft. Off to the trail, it’s around noon. I have a map, a book, and some GPS coordinates and thought the map might work – wrong – there are hundreds of trails that criss-cross all over the desert. While on the main road, David sheers six of his eight steering knuckle bolts. We park the sick cruiser in middle of road and Higgs takes him back to get the tow rig with trailer. It was quite a feat to get the truck and trailer in there – and then turn around to head back out. Have you ever seen a Duramax lift a tire or two – with a trailer behind – I have, fun stuff. So, David heads into Phoenix for repairs and to pick up us cell phone while we attempt to find the trailhead. We find the gatekeeper (so we thought) for a trail called Woodpecker using the GPS. The beginning was sweet but then it just turned into a rocky wash and the GPS said that we were 3.2 miles away from where we really needed to be. We turned around… This was like a two hour adventure to no-where-land – sucko. So we drive around for a while longer letting the GPS tell us which way to Highway to Hell. We talk to a group of other Jeeps on the way and they say – yep you’re going the right way but when you get there turn Left not Right or you’ll be there till midnight. (Left is Woodpecker, right is H2H). We get there, it’s like 2:30pm or so, we turn right next to a shrine of broken parts and said “Those old guys don’t know what there talking about” “We won’t be here till Midnight”… We ate some lunch before starting sat under the shade of Sumo parked on an incline. We all scattered when a lonely scorpion attempted to crawl across our food, welcome to AZ!

Highway to Hell trail, Florence Junction AZ:
The start of the trail was sweet – a big crack that you had to straddle and if your sidewall slipped off the wall, you lose your passenger side or lift your front driver side to the sky. Anyways, Lynda is first, then Higgs, then Kopecki. We all make it thru that first challenge. The next major obstacle was an off-camber ledge tat sloped into a wall on the right side. Lynda and Higgs make it up after a few different lines and then it’s Kopecki’s turn. He starts to climb up and “pop” back right shaft lets go. It’s a full floater and he has a spare so this should be easy right?

Changing the rear axle shaft:
Step 1 – pull full floater axle bolts out – sounds easy right? We split TWO 5/8” sockets, had to upgrade the breaker bar to a five footer, and then striped out the head of the last bolt. Now what? We try a vice grip, but of course that didn’t work – but wait, there’s hope. We brought an electric grinder and we have an inverter. A few short minutes later, we have the head of the bolt ground off. OK, so the shaft should just slide out now right? Nope – chisel, hammer, prybar, grinding more on bold head, they shaft only wiggles a little. Someone came up with the idea that it might be bound up inside so we drove the truck a little backwards and it came right out. Finally, shaft is out, but it broke near the splines, need to get the broken parts out. Not a problem, our fully prepared driver brought a telescoping powerful magnet but it wasn’t long enough. Taped on an a pipe extension and started getting out little pieces but no splined big piece. Pull the other side shaft but the cross pin is in and even a narrow CB antenna couldn’t make it past to push it out. The telescoping rod ended up pulling apart inside the axle and at that point we decided to put the broken shaft back in and drive in three wheel drive. Higgs and I walked the trail for what seemed like a very long ways and we decided that there weren’t any more rear hard obstacles and that it would be easier to go forward instead of turning around. So we drive about 50 yards or so and then he breaks the front right outer shaft… WTF!

Changing the front right outer:
Have put together spare – yep, shouldn’t be a problem right? Problem one – had to strap the suspension to the axle to use the Hi-lift. Problem two – lug nuts must’ve been put on with a 8 foot cheater because that’s what it took to get them off… The drive flange splines were messed up where the shaft broke and the needle bearings inside the spindle were shattered. We were able to fix the splines with a triangle file (yes he carries one) and he also carries a spare spindle – so all is good right? Old shaft out, new shaft in, new spindle installed, attempt to put bearing hub on – it won’t slide on. Try to hammer it on but it still doesn’t seat and now it won’t come off! The seal and bearing stay stuck to the spindle while the bearing hub and rotor assembly are pried off. A pry bar, chisel and hammer get the bearing off the “new” spindle. Swap back to the original spindle, put hub back on but spindle nut won’t spin on. So, one hammer hit at a time with a chisel – for both nuts – and three different people taking turns, we eventually got the bearing hub tightened up. Everything else went on without a hitch, back to heading down the trail – at least for a few feet… when we notice that the back right is locking up… and it’s already dark…

What’s up with the back right?
Decide that the broken shaft that we put back in must be binding up – we pull the shaft and start driving again, tire is still locking up! The only thing left that could be locking up the tires is the brakes, tire to take the tire off and remove the brakes… Again, need to strap suspension, but this time the strap brakes, have to get a second strap and then get it up. Luckily the bearing hub and brake drum actually come off easily on this wheel. We take the brake shoes off, clamp the time, put it back together and suddenly it actually seems to move down the trail pretty good without that tire locking up. Turns out, that was probably why the rear shaft broke in the first place and started this ordeal. Back to driving down the trail in three wheel drive, I walk in front with a flashlight and spot to help us avoid any possible problems and allow us to get off the trail at a decent time.

So we continue down the trail, Lynda’s rig looks sweet up front with the rock lights, Jake is sleeping in his baby seat, it’s getting cold now. The obstacles keep on coming, one after another, harder and harder. I’m having to spot Lynda (leading the group) on huge walls and ledges and then come back to find the easiest path for Higgs (with a strap hooked up to Kopecki) to make it up the obstacles. We don’t make it too far and Kopecki loses his steering. Upon inspection, the pitman arm has split and the sector shaft is just spinning inside it. Kopecki fires up the welder and welds the nut to the pitman arm to the shaft. We drive 50 feet, breaks again. Battery dies, have to jump start, repeat process of welding (weld a little differently), drive 50 feet, breaks again, Jeep dies again, have to jumpstart, Jeep radiator cap starts leaking, happens to drip on our head where he is welding, making welding and work even harder to do. I don’t want to try and remember how many broken welds that we had, but during one of those repairs, another scorpion showed it’s prickly tail and had to be smashed before we could lay down to do the welding.
Eventually, the sector shaft brakes in half and the pitman arm falls off… We fire the grinder back up and cut off the previous weld to start over. This takes a while since it’s a ¼” grinding wheel and not a cut-off wheel but he gets it done. Nothing like grinding sparks and welding flashes in the middle of the AZ desert… With the freshly ground parts, Kopecki gets a good weld and we are back on the way. He takes it VERY easy with the steering (multiple point turns etc…) and we eventually get off the trail and back onto the road to head back to the camp. On the way, his Jeep dies, we head back to him and his welding machining thing is glowing red. Higgs hooks up the strap and we just tow it back. We were planning on getting a hotel, but it’s like 2 in the morning so we just pitch a tent (the ones that we put away in the morning) and stay the night in the desert again. David O was there waiting for us (asleep). Did I mention that we skipped dinner and beer drinking, all work, no play… It ended up being a pretty sweet right run though.

Thursday 4-2-09:
We sleep in and wake up in the desert again, then load up the rigs and drive into Phoenix and check into a hotel. This will be a lick our wounds, rest, and recover day… Higgs takes a look at the bleeding (tranny fluid) Sumo and find out that the Atlas can be moved up and down by hand. We would fix it but in order to get to the bolts, the skidplate would have to be dropped. All of the links are bolted to the skid which is also bolted to the frame. Higgs decides that the spare rig will have to do for Friday up in Table Mesa. We eat a nice lunch with margaritas, wash cloths, fuel up rigs and just take it easy. After dinner we just hung out and sipped on a few frosty beverages in the parking lot.

Friday 4-3-09, Table Mesa Rd, North of Phoenix:
We arrive at the air down area fairly early and then wait for a few minutes for a guy that I had been speaking with to show up and give us a little more guidance to find the trails. We only got lost for a little while before finding the hidden entrance to Collateral Damage. This was a pretty sweet trail, Higgs cut a tire, I almost rolled Lynda’s Jeep and we had to lasso a huge rock for a winch point. Other that that and stacking a few rocks for the LJ, we made it threw with just a little extra rock rash.
Next up – Anaconda trail. We did this one back in 2003 and it seemed much harder then, no carnage or problems on that trail, but it was still sweet.
It was getting late and we decided to “Take a Look” at a trail called “Twisted” and met up two other guys that knew we were out there trying to find trails. This trail was absolutely SWEET and I’m really glad we took the time to check it out. One of the two guys that led us out there feel into the crack and I thought that he wasn’t coming out – EVER. Eventually, he was able to drive out of it, pretty impressive. David almost rolled over backwards trying to get up to that gatekeeper. The rest of that trail was manageable, narrow, and very challenging. Lynda debeaded a tire and then broke the rim. It took a while to get the tire re-seated because of the broken rim and the fact that the whole truck was wedged in this narrow trail – couldn’t push the tire over to the seat. Anyways, we made it off the trail and back to the trailers. Can’t wait to go back!

The sun was setting as we loaded up the trailers, Higgs headed North towards Flagstaff and home, the rest of us ate dinner nearby and then headed to Tucson for the night.

Saturday 4-4-09, Tucson – WeRock Competition.
There was a comp in Tucson so we stopped by to check it out and see Hal Frost in action. Cool course, sweet rigs, cool RC car comp course, interesting T-shirts, people watching etc… All in all, glad we checked it out. We left the comp at about noon or so – David and Kopecki drove straight thru, Lynda and myself stopped in Ft. Stockton for the night and ended finished the drive on Sunday.

Till next time,
Scott

DRAGOONRANCH
04-13-2009, 01:11 AM
Bad Ass!

redcagepatrol
04-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Carnage report - summary from above:
Lynda - PS pump seal
Lynda - broken wheel
Lynda - lost CRAWL front plate on drive home
Lynda - torn top and ripped off radio antenna
Scott - trailer tire
DavidO - PS pump
DavidO - valve stem
DavidO - rear leaf spring
DavidO - rear driveshaft (did you get that one back to Higgs?)
DavidO - steering arm bolts
DavidO - two trailer tires
DavidO - one trailer hub
Kopecki - battery? at Trees?
Kopecki - back right shaft
Kopecki - front right outer shaft
Kopecki - steering pitman arm
Kopecki - steering gearbox sector shaft
Kopecki - back right brakes
Kopecki - welding / charging system
Kopecki - spindle
Sumo - Warn hub
Sumo - Atlas bolts backed out
Higgs LJ - cut tire
Higgs LJ - bent tie rod

Everybody came out with extra scratchs and dents:gigem:

Did I miss anything?

I've added a few pics from the drive home stop at the Tuscon We-Rock comp. Hal is #21 is ya'll didn't know. That engine is a turbocharged Toyota 20R and he said it was making like 400hp...

redcagepatrol
04-13-2009, 09:36 PM
a few more

redcagepatrol
04-13-2009, 09:52 PM
If ya'll have never seem the build on that Copper TC buggy posted above, it's worth a look:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=621539&highlight=twisted+customs+seater+buggy

it's quite a work of art

tigweld
04-14-2009, 08:41 AM
400 horse 20r with tbi on top, seems doubtful

redcagepatrol
04-14-2009, 08:50 AM
agreed - but it sounded cool when he told us:D

J Cooper
04-14-2009, 08:55 AM
like the red neck at the yota yard in denver this weekend that said he was getting over 300 out of his 20r

sure was shinny and we looked impressed when he told us

davido
04-14-2009, 01:42 PM
The blue one is the 22RE turbo. He said about 180 - 200. At least that's what I remembered.

uglyota
04-14-2009, 02:02 PM
can you put a 200 shot of nitrous on an 80 hp motor? :D

davido
04-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Just FYI. Expenses from the trip:

$457.28 $161.86 $60.75 $926.14
Fuel Hotel Food Parts

Probably another few hundred in random cash.

DRAGOONRANCH
04-30-2009, 03:42 PM
what were the fuel prices looking like out that way?

Eric, what are they up your way right now?

(oh, and by fuel, I mead diesel/DF2/deisel :flipoff2: )

DRAGOONRANCH
04-30-2009, 03:48 PM
what were the fuel prices looking like out that way?

Eric, what are they up your way right now?

(oh, and by fuel, I mead diesel/DF2/deisel :flipoff2: )

bcolman
04-30-2009, 04:07 PM
last weekend i filled up for 1.99 and 2.09 headed out to trees

Shaggy
04-30-2009, 04:07 PM
you can say that again

rockfrawg
04-30-2009, 04:08 PM
R

:flipoff2:

uglyota
04-30-2009, 04:08 PM
2.13 in Salida
mapquest gas prices (http://gasprices.mapquest.com/searchresults.jsp?search=true&latitude=&longitude=&gasPriceType=1&address=&city=salida&stateProvince=co&postalCode=&radius=0&brand=&sortOrder=2)

DRAGOONRANCH
04-30-2009, 04:16 PM
Maybe I just fill up the nurse tank at the Coop before we leave town. ;)

uglyota
04-30-2009, 04:21 PM
c'mon wasn't diesel over 5 this time last year?

DRAGOONRANCH
04-30-2009, 04:25 PM
I didn't pay anymore than 4.90 on the Mem. Wend trip last year.

:laughing:

Shaggy
04-30-2009, 04:25 PM
i filled up for 2.09 today.... not bad for every other station in town was around 2.29

DRAGOONRANCH
04-30-2009, 04:27 PM
It's at .55/liter here on base now.

EDIT: I am headed to bed now, so if yall want to pick up fuel discussions maybe take it to another thread to keep from snaking this one. :D

redcagepatrol
04-30-2009, 08:27 PM
Just FYI. Expenses from the trip:

$457.28 $161.86 $60.75 $926.14
Fuel Hotel Food Parts

Probably another few hundred in random cash.

would've been a really cheap trip if those parts wern't $1000...

redcagepatrol
04-30-2009, 10:05 PM
updated trip report:

Shaggy
05-01-2009, 12:21 PM
can you put it in a .txt or works file so i can read it... still dont have office

redcagepatrol
05-01-2009, 12:26 PM
can you put it in a .txt or works file so i can read it... still dont have office

you've got to be kidding me - but OK...

Shaggy
05-01-2009, 12:27 PM
thanks

DRAGOONRANCH
05-01-2009, 12:51 PM
what a cheap ass!

Doug Krebs
05-01-2009, 01:22 PM
David, ever though of getting the 1/2 20 ARP studs for your steering arms instead of bolts?

jerryg79
05-01-2009, 01:45 PM
im pretty sure your joo ass can get a free ms word viewer.

back to cool stuff.

Shaggy
05-01-2009, 02:22 PM
good write up

Seth
05-01-2009, 04:26 PM
tate - get open office or whatever its called in the mean time.

Shaggy
05-01-2009, 05:03 PM
if a student would be nice enough to get me a copy I wouldnt have this problem

DRAGOONRANCH
05-01-2009, 09:42 PM
"An Aggie does not lie, cheat, or steal, or tolerate those who do."

davido
05-02-2009, 01:19 AM
David, ever though of getting the 1/2 20 ARP studs for your steering arms instead of bolts?

The problem has been the length. The stock ones won't work and I was not able to find any long enough. I'm not positive I ever checked with ACE though. Are they 3"? I have the steering arms then a 1" spacer before it hits the knuckle.

Don't worry though, I have now have trail spares, so they're guaranteed never to come out again. Now it will break something much more expensive and/or harder to change out. :)

Doug Krebs
05-02-2009, 10:11 AM
The problem has been the length. The stock ones won't work and I was not able to find any long enough. I'm not positive I ever checked with ACE though. Are they 3"? I have the steering arms then a 1" spacer before it hits the knuckle.

Don't worry though, I have now have trail spares, so they're guaranteed never to come out again. Now it will break something much more expensive and/or harder to change out. :)

Ahh didn't realize you had the spacer.