PDA

View Full Version : Norm still lives...

mark
05-29-2009, 02:46 PM
Well, most of you haven't seen Norm isn the last five years, so here's a bit of an update. Norm just came out from under the knife at AtoZ Fabrication:

http://www.atozfabrication.com/gallery2/d/1114-2/CAGE+FINISHED.JPG

http://www.atozfabrication.com/gallery2/v/PROJECTS/CAGE+FINISHED.JPG.html

Norm is still his old street-able self but now a bit safer (and dare I say stylish)

-Mark

uglyota
05-29-2009, 03:38 PM
looks sweet

edit: those pics give me a headache though.

8Runner
05-29-2009, 04:17 PM
Awesome! You should come to Colorado next week :)

AggieTJ2007
05-29-2009, 06:13 PM
my thoughts exactly

Graystroke
05-29-2009, 09:23 PM
looks sweet

edit: those pics give me a headache though.
yeah mark, maybe you can trade them some jeep work for making their website not suck so much.
you go a full shot of the jeep? cage looks nice.

Fredo
05-29-2009, 10:11 PM
Nice cage and seats Mark! Glad to see Norm is still in action.

mark
05-30-2009, 10:21 AM
yeah mark, maybe you can trade them some jeep work for making their website not suck so much.
you go a full shot of the jeep? cage looks nice.

Fortunately they are more about the work and less about the web site. They have a good reputation within the "industry" although they are definitly a mom a pop shop.

-Mark

Agrvr
05-30-2009, 11:30 AM
:cheers: Looking good Mark!

Mine is hiding out back of Land Rovers Unlimited no doubt with two flat tires looking very sad panda.

mark
06-02-2009, 07:34 AM
So I went to pick up the Jeep (about 3 hrs away).

The cage is a piece of art. However, the artisans overlooked a few things. They mounted the driver's seat about an inch too far to the right. I didn't notice it until I actually drove the Jeep. It's also too low. So I have some adjusting to do.

They also managed to screw up the paint by installing the cage before it was dry enough to handle. So now I have some touch up to do.

Lastly, they discovered cancer on old Norm. Under two of the old roll bar mounts there are a couple of spots eaten through. So now I have a bit of sheet metal work to do before before I can Line-X the tub. Booooo.

They did do some things well. My favorite piece of engineering that they did was to bolt the main hoop right through a body mount. They used a 3" bolt that runs from the cage mounting plate, through the body and through an existing body mount location. It uses the existing body mount bushing as well. Its a simple but effective way to tie the cage to the frame at the main hoop.

My wife finds the harnesses amusing. But I kept the lap belts too knowing she was not going to be a fan of the 5-point harnesses.

-Mark

uglyota
06-02-2009, 10:01 AM
It's not tied to the frame other than through that body mount?

Jackasic
06-02-2009, 10:16 AM
looks good Mark, should be nice fro those mid summer cruise through DC.

Busa
06-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Looks good. Here is a pick of the one i am build for myself.

mark
06-02-2009, 11:07 AM
It's not tied to the frame other than through that body mount?

Its tied in at a number of points. The other tie-ins are more conventional. All have bushings though.

-Mark

Jackasic
06-02-2009, 03:05 PM
looks nice busa