PDA

View Full Version : Resettable breakers VS. Fuses

KrazyKarl02
07-06-2009, 10:49 AM
I see more and more people running a switch board with a resettable breaker instead of fuses. In some cases people are using the time reset breakers that do not even require the user to reset them, they just have to cool down.

My question is this, when using these breakers is any type of fuse needed? I think the question applies to off road rigs, but right now I am working on a boat. The boat has 2 auto reset breakers by the battery. One feeds acc. and the other feeds the engine. Originally there was a fuse in front of these, but the fuse holder got all shatty. Do I need to replace it.

Pros and Cons? Lets hear some tech talk.

uglyota
07-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Why not? Fuses are cheap and worthwhile if they keep you from burning your wiring up when your mechanical breaker fails. I thought resettable breakers would be sweet when I first learned about them, but now I think that if you're blowing a breaker or fuse regularly then there's another issue that needs to be dealt with.

TMatheaus
07-06-2009, 12:19 PM
when i replaced the switch panel on my boat, it has the resettable breakers, but i also have fuses wired in with them, academy has some decent in line fuse holders for like a dollar a piece

KrazyKarl02
07-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Why not? Fuses are cheap and worthwhile

My issue is the fuse holders they sell at like O'reilly's suck. Anything that comes with a fuse holder (radio, lights, etc...) suck even more. I have probably removed 3 or 4 in the last year because they do not hold up and my electrical problem is with the holder not the fuse.

uglyota
07-06-2009, 12:29 PM
soooo...you're saying you need to place an order with waytek? :flipoff2:

DRAGOONRANCH
07-06-2009, 01:22 PM
soooo...you're saying you need to place an order with delcity? :flipoff2:

yes...

Graystroke
07-06-2009, 03:16 PM
I think manually resettable breakers would be ok...why wouldn't they? they use them on big trucks and other things you don't want a 50 cent fuse to make things go bad in a hurry..don't they use them on planes?
as long as you buy quality ones and match the amperage to your wire gauge why woould it fawk up anything?
You have them in your house. the key is to match them up. don't put a 50 amp breaker on 18 awg wire

Graystroke
07-06-2009, 03:20 PM
http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/d62.html

AggieTJ2007
07-06-2009, 07:04 PM
All of our trucks use resetable breakers for the trailer brakes. They are very important for things that if they trip the breaker could cause huge problems, hence while you use them in airplanes