PDA

View Full Version : Trees Ranch Labor Day Weekend

DRAGOONRANCH
08-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Plans changed (again), but I think it's the last time. I am going to head down to Trees for Labor Day and haul the travel trailer down too. We will have a few sleepin spots (and maybe one trailer spot open) if anyone wants to head down with us.

:beer:

Plan on leaving Friday (4th) afternoon and returning Monday.

GPS Coordinates

GPS Coordinates:

I-10 Exit at HWY 41 (N30 11.42' 10" W-99 20' 5795")
HWY 41 intersection to HWY 83 (Garvin’s Store) (N30 04.025’ W099 41.627’)
HWY 41 intersection to CR 336 (N30 02.795' W099 50.457')
CR 336 intersection to CR 3235 (N29 58.297' W099 50.030')
Property entrance (N29 55.293' W099 51.832')

DRAGOONRANCH
08-11-2009, 12:34 PM
I forgot about this part...

kling on is right about getting lost. We do have a new trail map thatnks to Cottontail. WE are allowing trail riding with out a guide for now. It is a test project. Please go to the website www.treesranchoffroad.com and get a copy. If you are bringing an rv I would suggest that you preregister.
Bob

85cj7
08-11-2009, 12:55 PM
thanks ed, i'll add this to the new business cards for the fall. I might come out.

edit:
just saw its the same weekend as the open house

DRAGOONRANCH
08-11-2009, 01:31 PM
I was going to add that in the first post, but figured everyone would catch it. :laughing:

bcolman
08-11-2009, 01:52 PM
i might be interested, and if i go i can haul your red trailer with our rigs

DRAGOONRANCH
08-11-2009, 02:07 PM
I didn't even think about that. We need to hook the efi live up to it and get you rollin' coal!!!

Jackasic
08-11-2009, 02:11 PM
i might be down for this

DRAGOONRANCH
08-11-2009, 03:54 PM
That would be tits!

Reckless
08-11-2009, 05:20 PM
I didn't even think about that. We need to hook the efi live up to it and get you rollin' coal!!!

i can help with that. but im game for the trip

AggieTJ2007
08-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Rowdy you should work on that pile you have and get it rolling.

Oh Rowdy I have a tune on my computer that will lay some smoke. but the HP tune flat out hauls ass.

Eckert
08-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Oh Rowdy I have a tune on my computer that will lay some smoke. but the HP tune flat out hauls ass.

fags :flipoff2:

AggieTJ2007
08-11-2009, 07:36 PM
takes one to know one

Hell yeah I will be there it is only like 250ish miles from the house

DRAGOONRANCH
08-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Good stuff! Now how are we going to get hippie out there???

Brandon, load the scout and your 'middle management' up and come out and wheel with us. When was the last time you wheeled anyways? :D

Jackasic
08-11-2009, 10:46 PM
i has been a while .....

davido
08-12-2009, 02:18 AM
Doubtful.

DRAGOONRANCH
08-12-2009, 05:35 AM
you have bus duties to 'tend to. :D

Shaggy
08-13-2009, 03:37 PM
I might try... being a holiday it makes it harder but atleast it is close.. I could maybe go Fri Sat and work only on sunday

Reckless
08-13-2009, 05:06 PM
looks like im going to be out, cant get off work friday

bcolman
08-13-2009, 05:31 PM
looks like im going to be out, cant get off work friday

if i go i wont be able to leave town till 4 or 5 in the afternoon, so if you can get off a little early and i go you will have a ride

DRAGOONRANCH
08-14-2009, 12:07 AM
I won't be leaving until later (3pmish) on Friday myself.

Reckless
08-14-2009, 01:22 AM
I wont be able to get off work till 8 and cant take off early

bcolman
08-24-2009, 06:04 PM
I am in

Shaggy
08-24-2009, 07:35 PM
not in... big supprise eh?

DRAGOONRANCH
08-25-2009, 10:02 AM
I am in

Cool beans, I will get with you when I hit ground to work out the logistics.

not in... big supprise eh?

You gonna make Clayton?

Shaggy
08-25-2009, 05:02 PM
it isn't a good time for the wife... she is still in school... i might could if i start on my new project sometime soon... the jeep it a little too stock for clayton

Reckless
08-25-2009, 05:03 PM
im still up in the air, but odds are im not going to make it to trees

uglyota
08-25-2009, 05:44 PM
the jeep it a little too stock for clayton

Come on now...wasn't clayton Creighton's first trip? :D

AggieTJ2007
08-25-2009, 08:04 PM
actually it was the 2nd cibilo creek was the first

Shaggy
08-25-2009, 08:27 PM
and look at his jeep... dents are no good on this jeep

Fredo
08-25-2009, 08:35 PM
What, is it a "Show Jeep" or something? Beat the **** out of it.

AggieTJ2007
08-26-2009, 04:35 PM
what you are not critizing me for destroying a perfectly good jeep

Shaggy
08-27-2009, 08:47 AM
What, is it a "Show Jeep" or something? Beat the **** out of it.

no... the wife drives it daily right now... last time i took it out it sat in the garage for 3 months before i got around to fixing it... she is getting a new car within the next 6 months so it will be a different story then

DRAGOONRANCH
08-27-2009, 10:36 AM
You won't need a rig anyways, we will have plenty of open seats. All you need to bring is your liver (or what's left of it). :gigem:

Reckless
08-27-2009, 05:26 PM
when are you going to be back in town Ed?

JB
08-27-2009, 06:49 PM
I leave Friday the 4th for Colorado as soon as I can get off work in Houston. Trees is off I-10 right? Might be a good little stopping point before continuing on Saturday? Whats the roll call so far? Maybe I pilot F150 to the Trees campground Friday night, drink some beers, maybe ride with someone for an early morning run and be on my way?

bcolman
08-27-2009, 07:02 PM
right now the roll call is Ed, Creightong, Me, and maybe Brandon with rigs, did I miss anyone?

DRAGOONRANCH
08-27-2009, 10:58 PM
when are you going to be back in town Ed?

I am planning on coming down to aggieland Saturday to watch a volleyball game around noonish, then stick around to catch up with everyone. We need to find beer and drink!

DRAGOONRANCH
08-27-2009, 10:59 PM
right now the roll call is Ed, Creightong, Me, and maybe Brandon with rigs, did I miss anyone?

Brandon is out, he has a family B-day party he has to be at that weekend, but everyone else on the list is correct.

Reckless
08-28-2009, 04:10 PM
I am planning on coming down to aggieland Saturday to watch a volleyball game around noonish, then stick around to catch up with everyone. We need to find beer and drink!

i should be back from bellville saturday night, just let me know

DRAGOONRANCH
08-28-2009, 04:49 PM
Cool beans. Will do.

AggieTJ2007
08-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Jeep's loaded and ready to go i should roll out around 7pm on Friday

AggieTJ2007
08-30-2009, 10:02 PM
in case you didn't know there is going to be a King of trees race Sunday morning. I am going to get it awn and if I blow something up so be it

http://www.texas4x4.org/showthread.php?t=28486

bcolman
08-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Jeep's loaded and ready to go i should roll out around 7pm on Friday

i am still finishing up my blazer(still need to do two cage to frame tie ins some misc small stuff and rebuild my trans cross member again), i am hoping to be done on thursday for a friday 6pm ish departure

Sharpe
08-30-2009, 10:53 PM
in case you didn't know there is going to be a King of trees race Sunday morning. I am going to get it awn and if I blow something up so be it

Oh jesus no good can come of this. Post vids and pics of the aftermath.

AggieTJ2007
08-30-2009, 10:59 PM
you should come I could use a spotter/ cameraman

Sharpe
08-31-2009, 08:08 AM
Never take spotting advice from someone with a camera!

AggieTJ2007
08-31-2009, 07:02 PM
I am thinking about ducttape/ zip tieing my cheapo video camera w/ an 8 gig card to the front of the rollcage for in car video

Reckless
09-01-2009, 05:47 PM

Im defantly going now, cant miss this

DRAGOONRANCH
09-01-2009, 05:53 PM

Im defantly going now, cant miss this

Way to go Creighton, way to go....

AggieTJ2007
09-01-2009, 06:19 PM
well he can be your spotter or i will go all Machine Gun Joe on him and throw him out of the Jeep

AggieTJ2007
09-01-2009, 06:31 PM
I know I fawked up but it funny

JB
09-01-2009, 07:51 PM
What time is everyone arriving at Trees on Friday?

AggieTJ2007
09-01-2009, 08:20 PM
11pm ish

Reckless
09-02-2009, 05:14 PM
well he can be your spotter or i will go all Machine Gun Joe on him and throw him out of the Jeep

ill be your spotter creighton, not like i have much to lose if i get ran over:flipoff2:

uglyota
09-02-2009, 05:47 PM
The Lathe is one of the 3 obstacles? You did that in like 3 seconds, first try. And your rig is a lot cooler these days :D

AggieTJ2007
09-02-2009, 07:09 PM
yeah and they claim it is one of the harder ones on the course.

AggieTJ2007
09-02-2009, 08:01 PM
here it is, it took me a while to find
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f124/CreightonRea/th_DSCN0906.jpg (http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f124/CreightonRea/?action=view&current=DSCN0906.flv)

DRAGOONRANCH
09-03-2009, 01:07 AM
Just need to bleed the brakes, fill the propane tanks and load 'er up tomorrow.

uglyota
09-03-2009, 09:23 AM
some of those guys talkin trash are gonna be real upset when you spank them in that race :)

Reckless
09-03-2009, 05:34 PM
well, im out, brian is leaving early. I guess ill go to West texas and drink cheap beer and shoot expensive shotgun shells

JB
09-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Ed, when will you be there?

I am still debating on which route to take, so I am still a maybe

bcolman
09-03-2009, 09:48 PM
i am leaving college station at or before 5 which will hopefully put me there around 10:30 or 11

AggieTJ2007
09-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Brian I have food for breakfast and dinner you only need to worry about lunch

bcolman
09-03-2009, 10:35 PM
ed said he was going to get stuff for lunches so i am just bringing extra brews

DRAGOONRANCH
09-04-2009, 12:19 AM
John, I will be there between 8 and 11 Friday evening. Give me a holler tomorrow if you think you will be coming out. 4 Wheel Parts is supposed to supply supper Saturday night there.

DRAGOONRANCH
09-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Just loaded up the last bit into the travel trailer, getting ready to head out.

I will try to holler at yall, but if one of you sees this before I call, load up a torch, hoses and guages. I have the bottles in the truck, but the rest of the gear got misplaced when my grandad took the bottles in to get refilled last time.

Coop, I will update the Clayton thread when I get home. Sorry about falling behind on it, things have been a bit rough here at the house.

See yall at Trees beetches!

Shaggy
09-04-2009, 05:46 PM
if you need torch, hoses and gauges and noone else grabs them you are welcome to stop by my house in SA and pick mine up

Sharpe
09-07-2009, 04:57 PM
How'd the race go dammit?!?!?!?

Sharpe
09-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Just talked to my friend Farmer Fred who said that he won the race in his TPI 350 powered BTF Fusion knock off. Creighton aparently finished with no rear coil springs and Ed's tailgate hung on despite his best effort.

bcolman
09-07-2009, 07:04 PM
creighton was a DNF due to a blown rear drive shaft and ed lost lots of stuff on the trail and managed to finish the 3 ish mile race in about twelve and half minutes and the winner took about eight and a half minutes

AggieTJ2007
09-07-2009, 07:40 PM
it was a 4.5 mile course. yeah fred's chassis kicked ass and he flat out got it

DRAGOONRANCH
09-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Awesome weekend started off a bit warm, got a little rain (which made Widow Maker a(n almost) blast (wink, wink, tee hee hee), and ended up with a good bit of cloud cover which made it very nice!

It was a pretty uneventful trip down barring a bit of rain on the drive there once we got out of Austin. My brothers and I stopped at Rudy's on Research/183 in Austin to eat supper with my cousin Kim, and I believe that time we spent eating was well planned because we ended up missing a big storm that rolled through south Austin. It left the road pretty wet, but we missed the heavy downpour at least. We made it to the TA truck stop at exit 193 in San Marcos where we met up with Brian who was pulling my red flatbed with his Blazer and mine. We both fueled up and I scaled out the dually with the travel trailer, 100 gallons of fuel and a full water tank tipped the scale at just over 21k total. We hit the road again and hit I-10 about 40 minutes ahead of Creighton who was coming up I-37 (slowed down due to rain). Once we made it to 41, the drivers lubrication began!

We pulled into Trees and got everyone registered, paid up then started to set up the travel trailer so we would have a nice cool place to pass out. Creighton showed up and promptly infromed us that Joose is kick ass! (After about his 5th beer (and the 3 or 4 pack of joose), he started in with the Sharpe syndrome and proceeded to tell us about the 7,000 dollars that were spend in fuel and other expenditures in the Baja for about 4th time. :flipoff2: The trailer was on a pretty uneven spot and by the time I got it decently level, Creighton could almost walk under the kingpin. :eek:

Drivers Meeting-0830/Saturday morning: Creighton cranks up the texas wok and gets breakfast going while Brian and I head over to the drivers meeting. Bob tells us that this is only the second event that the owner has agreed to being non-guided and to be on good behaviour. (there were no problems that we heard of so hopefully it will stay that way) I had on my pink tx4x4 shirt, and Rastus (owner of tx4x4) walks up and introduces himself. We have been talking **** to eachother about the KOT race for a few weeks and we start it up there again. All BS aside, it was nice to finally meet him and put a name to a face. We get everything strapped down after some breakfast burritos and a jug of chocolate milk and head out of camp. Just as we make the turn out of the gate to head down the road towards the main house, Brian grenades his u-joint on his rear driveshaft at the TC. We laugh, hand him tools and laugh as others drive by us laughing as they are headed out. We then pat him on the back and tell him it's going to be a good day becasuse it's not as another rig that goes by already being pulled back to camp with cooling issues.

Once we get down to the bottom, we decide to run the race course but guess what! I left the maps at camp so we are unsure of the course. It is already marked out, so we start out at what we believe is the beginning. After about 45 minutes of puttering along the course we finally figure that we have missed a turn in the creek we are in and turn back around. Once we figured out that we were running it backwards, we decided to head back towards the start, but wanted to get in some wheeling on the way back. Brian wanted to hit Widow Maker, and I wanted to hit Mighty Mouse (the trail I grenaded my driveshaft and D70 shaft on and Creighton blew a u-joint last year at Twister).

We get to Mighty Mouse first, and proceed up to the top with very little problem. Once we get to THE ledge, I creep up and try a few hard runs to get the rear tires up with no luck. We get out and look it over for a few minutes and decide that you could stack another of my boggers on the back tire and still not be as tall as that ledge (it was a good foot lower than last year I think). Not wanting to grenade something this early on, I decide to take the bypass and we start to head back down the exit. Not knowing that I threw my water pump/alternator belt, the engine gets hot and blows a hole in the bottom radiator hose right next to the radiator. I pull it and trim back past the cut while Brian and Creighton head back down to look for the belt. I pour all of my bottled water (that wasn't still frozen), all of mine and Creighton's cooler water into the radiator and get it about half frozen. While working on this, 'shortsub' from pbb comes over and introduces himself and we chat for close to an hour while someone in his group makes repairs on the other side of the fence (not sure what trail they were running). He is good peoples, and look forward to wheeling with him in the future.

We head back towards camp to get water for the radiator, and catch lunch also. Creighton has to pull me back a good bit of the way to keep the motah from getting too hot. We get to camp, top off rad. and coolers and re-beer. We head back out and head to Widow Maker.

Before we got there, it had started to shower on us which was nice as it knocked the dust down. Little did we know it made the rock slicker than goose snot! Creighton made it up a good bit and ended up sliding back into a tree and putting a 'new' dent in his right rear fender. :D That hit on the tree knocked another 'shower' off of the leaves and rewet the rock that he had just dried out with his tires. :doh: I do believe that his revlimiter will never be the same after this one, it got beat so hard the guy that installed it at the factory will be sore for atleast three more weeks. :laughing: Once he was very close to the top, we noticed fluid running down onto his driveshaft. It was determined that he was leaking from the water pump, so he backed off and Farma Fred laid into it and made it up. Some where in there, the tx4x4 crew showed up to spektate. I got in line and started up. I laid into it and tried to dry the tires off some and it seemed to be working a bit. Unfortunately, the extra grip caused me to shoot sideways and into the same tree Creighton backed into. When I hit it though, I caugt it on my battery box (and those who where on the Co. trip know it needed to be relocated anyways) which inturn nailed my propane vacuum shutoff valve and knocked the fitting loose unleashing a huge cloud of propane. Thank the good Lord that the manifold was not glowing red yet or that the positive terminals didn't get shoved into anything causing what would have looked like a mini Hiroshima had it ignited. :D

http://www.texas4x4.org/gallery/album748/IMG_2504?full=1

http://www.texas4x4.org/gallery/albums/album748/IMG_2505.sized.jpg

DRAGOONRANCH
09-08-2009, 12:10 AM
This is also the time that I figured out that the CS144 had **** the bed. It was charging a steady 14.7 that morning, but would only muster about 11 volts whether the fans were running or not. Brian ran up the waterfall that is right beside WM (and was actually the first obstacle/starting gate of the race the next day). He had a good time on the throttle to get up the still slick rock and then once on top, ran a winch line down to me to help get me off of the tree so that Creighton could pull the main line and hook it straight to the mixer. Rastus pulled up and gave me a jump once the lines were replumbed and I backed off with out incident. With both of our prides a bit battered and bruised yet still intact, we decided that was enough wheeling for the day and headed back to camp to repair everything for the race in the a.m. and catch grub that 4wheel parts was providing that night before the raffle.

Dinner was hot dogs, hamburgers, chips and lemonade/raspberry iced tea. The burgers were outstanding. Brady won a few bottles of Lucas oil products, and then made a diving catch in the dirt to snag a (six pack sized) fabric beer cooler from Creighton! We then headed back to finish up repairs on the rigs. I swapped the original alternator back on and Creighton pulled his water pump and jb welded the weep holes shut and reinstalled it. :D For the most part, we were ready to head out in the morning so we ramped up the liquid carb intake for the evening!

The next morning we gathered up everything and headed out to the starting line. The were supposed to do a random draw on the starting line up, but just did it in the order that you signed up. Rastus was first, Creighton third and I was fourth. They started everyone in five minute intervals. Brian decided to be co-driver for Creighton and I believe he regretted it with in the first three seconds after Creighton got the green light. ;)

Out the starting gate!
http://www.texas4x4.org/gallery/albums/album748/IMG_2519.sized.jpg

His revlimiter took another extreme beating on the trip up waterfall, and his poor rear springs were already off the buckets before he made it half way up! He is not for sure, but possibly coming down the Lathe he grenaded his rear CV and didn't figure it out until trying to climb the first of the bowls. He backed out and parked out of the way (or so he thought :D )

I made a pretty impressive run out of the starting gate until I stalled out half way up the waterfall because I was in 2nd instead of first. :doh: Once I restarted and mashed on it the rocks went to flying. Once to the top, I turned down the lathe and the long wheel base made it look easy. Making the hard right turn into the creek with the bowls, there sat the yellow TJ and Creighton began to sweat it as I brought her around in true Duke style and he thought I was going to run her over out of spite. Well, I caught too much traction and made a tighter turn than I thought and missed out on leaving bogger tracks across his hood. :( I did try very hard once I was almost strait to take out my windshield with a rather large tree branch that was just infront of his TJ though, but still no luck on the extra air conditioning. :laughing: The bowls were not too much trouble at all and once I made it to the end of them, you made a loop to the right around a tree and headed towards Deception on some pretty flat ground. Poor Brian had just walked down there and thought he could catch me at a slow spot and jump into help me out, but he got there just as I was catchin another gear and slinging rooster tails of fresh cow patties 50 foot into the air! I dropped down into the creek to start up deception, but got turned around and ended up backing up the creek about 100 foot before I realized I just needed to turn around and keep going. Had we prerun the course, this would have not been a problem. I did the same thing coming out of deception and had to back up and make a hard left to start up Greg's Hill. I didn't tighten up my shoulder straps enough, and by this time I was really starting to wear out from trying to hold myself still enough to still drive and not knock myself out. :oof:

I came down off of that hill and finally hit the flat land again, crossed back through the creek and headed for the finish line balls out. Close to the corral, I ran into a pack of cows and new that trying to save a few seconds wasn't worth having to pull hamburger meat out of the grill for the next few hours (and I just wouldn't have felt right had I run one over for a race like this). I made the s-curve at the corral into the finish line in style with my tailgate hanging on by only one of the chain latches on the passenger style (still haven't found any video of it yet :( ). Rastus walked over, gave me the bird and informed me that I had beat his time. I came in at 12:05.40 IIRC, they had figured it to be a 20 minute course. :D

DRAGOONRANCH
09-08-2009, 12:10 AM
I let mine cool off and visited with a few other racers and spectators before I jumped in Brian's blazer to take tools and refreshments back to them where the TJ was parked at the bottom of the Lathe. I got to watch the last 7 or 8 racers come down while we sat and BS'ed after Creighton showed me his CV and that he wasn't going to worry about it and just drive back in front wheel drive. The narrow cab old red dodge that was in TTC a year or so ago was also at the bottom of the lathe, he sheared 4 of the five studs on his passenger side C/high steer arm coming down the last drop off out of the lathe. I believe Bob gave him **** about being able to run TTC, but not handle KOT. :D
http://www.texas4x4.org/gallery/albums/album748/IMG_2523.sized.jpg

I wasn't really aware of it, but RVReddog was broke at the top of the lathe with a bolt that came loose connecting his HSteer arm and his tie rod on their blue scout.

RVReddog
http://www.texas4x4.org/gallery/albums/album748/IMG_2517.sized.jpg

The fourth DNF was val in a pretty nice two seat buggy and he went out with a busted Trailready beadlock. Creighton said that as he went back by the bowls/end of the lathe on his way to start deception, his tire was flat but he was hammering on it so much that it has stood back up. You could tell it was flat as soon as he let off the skinny pedal and started to make the turn. He bent the rim at first, then knocked a near fist sized hole in it, then completely busted the center section out of it and finally shut her down.

http://www.texas4x4.org/gallery/albums/album748/IMG_2532.sized.jpg

There was one TJ that came down the lathe that nearly endo'ed and almost got to try out the fab fours bumper/stinger that he won in the raffle the night before and promptly installed. A few of the short wheel base rigs got tippy there, but everyone managed to drive out of it with out much trouble. Once everyone was through, Brian pulled Creighton up out of the creek bed and we headed back to the Corral to see how everyone fared. As previously stated, Farma Fred won with a time of 8:23

Once the trophy was handed out everyone headed back onto the course to grab all of the flagging they had strung up and we gathered up with the tx4x4/midnighters crew for lunch and headed out for Stair Way to Heaven and on to Cork Screw. We ended up taking the 'bypass' out of it which has a couple of gnarly ledges at the top which take some wheel speed to get up. They are short wheel base friendly and there was and 'open' diff xj being piloted by an Iraq vet who put some wheel speed to it and did pretty good. Once I got up there and almost had it once and was on only one tire with the stupid pedal on the floor and Creighton hollering at me to not flop it on his side another time, I lost steering control. The end of the orbital from PSC has a 'cap' that is just pressed on and it slipped off. Once we got it pulled out and tapped back on and tightened down, we were back in business. While we were hanging there, they pulled my winch line to a tree to as a safety line while it got worked on. I went ahead and winched up to keep things going because it was starting to cloud up a bit and I wanted everyone to get in as much wheeling as possible. This was a bad idea! The xj pilot (who was also a longhrn fan) decided to start giving me a rash of **** about my rock rings. This ended up going on all afternoon...

DRAGOONRANCH
09-08-2009, 01:07 AM
I can't exactly remember which trails we ended up taking next, but they were behind the gate on the high fence at the back of the property. We finished up on Gun powder which has a few good obstacles coming up it and a not too bad hill climb with a what looks to be challenging line to the left. Everyone made it up with out much trouble until Brian gets to it and as he bounces his rear axle up onto the last hard ledge his same u-joint that busted as we left out Sat. morning grenaded again. We pull winch line again for safety, and the xj pilot starts up the rash of **** again only this time it's Brian who is taking it on the chin. :laughing: Brian winches out (and realizes that if he doesn't fix his winch controls before Clayton, he is going to have his nutz fried up in Creightons wok!) and everyone decides it's been a good hard day of wheeling and heads back to camp. We grab the TJ once we get back to the corral and away we go with two rigs in front wheel drive!

Brian loads up his Blazer on Creighton's trailer, grabs his gear and heads for aggieland! It was after midnight when he finally rolled into the house, caught a few hours of sleep and headed off to class the next morning. Creighton and I decide that there is way too much beer in the cooler to haul back and decide to do something about it. Creighton breaks out the wok again and starts up the fajitas for the night. I dig the watermelons out of the cooler and head over to the tx4x4 camp and they dig in. Creighton came over after he had them cooked up to tell me it was time to eat and we ended up sticking around talking to them for a while longer. They are really a good bunch of folks. A bit older than the TAMOR crowd, but like to have a good time all the same. Once we were back at camp, the fajitas were great. I don't know where he gets it from, but they are tasty! Lots and lots of beer later, we finally decide it's time to hit the rack (before we get so bad off the idea of spooning in the big bed starts to actually sound good. :eek: )

The next morning we clean up, pack up and head out. We make it onto I-10 and Creighton starts to get a tad bit low on fuel so we pull over at the rest stop to transfer some from my nurse tank. I had to turn around up there because the hose is not long enough to reach. Once he is full and I start to turn around, another truck with rigs pulls up and asks if we have any spare diesel. They had their truck that was pulling their travel trailer run out as he pulled into the rest stop. We pulled down and and transferred a few gallons and I learned how to prime a Dmax. :D He went to pay me and I told him to keep it and handed him a few business cards and told him when he was ready to change the Rotella in the truck to give me a holler. ;)

We stopped in Kerrville to grab some lunch and Creigton and I topped off then headed to San Antonio. Creighton had part of his old cage that Tate has been wanting a good while, and I had a copy of Microsof t Of fice to give him, so off we went. We arrived and got a tour of the garage with the mystery bronco in it. We tried to convince him that he just needed to hunker down and finish it, but Elise had power tools in the front yard and we both figured it was better for our health to leave it at that and hit the road again. :laughing:

Creighton headed on to Korpus Krusty with my red trailer with his jeep and my POS on back, and my brothers and I turned north. The ride up 35 to Belton was uneventful other than a few spots of holiday traffic heading home. We stopped in Rosebud to meet the folks for supper and then headed to the ranch to start unloading. Now, here I sit finishing this. I will definitely want to try and make this run next year again if things work out, because I definitely want to kick ass in the race!

Oh, and there were a couple of guys there who were talking about building a Duramax/Allison buggy all weekend, what a bunch of tools. :blackwink:

Cajun
09-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Nice write up Ed. Ryan Stulchey (ShortSub), BJ, and their whole bunch are good people, but they're crazy. Seriously.

The engine in his sub is the best sounding/running propane burner I've ever seen. That thing flat out gets it.

bcolman
09-08-2009, 10:55 AM
His revlimiter took another extreme beating on the trip up waterfall, and his poor rear springs were already off the buckets before he made it half way up! He is not for sure, but possibly coming down the Lathe he grenaded his rear CV and didn't figure it out until trying to climb the first of the bowls. He backed out and parked out of the way (or so he thought :D )

creighton made it about 75 yards down the trail from where the drive shaft broke off and no telling how far from when it initially broke before we realized we were done

DRAGOONRANCH
09-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Nice write up Ed. Ryan Stulchey (ShortSub), BJ, and their whole bunch are good people, but they're crazy. Seriously.

The engine in his sub is the best sounding/running propane burner I've ever seen. That thing flat out gets it.

Thanks, I think I had an ADD moment last night and couldn't quit typing. Just glad I could remember that much. :D

Those guys are real cool, here is a video of it on widow maker.

http://www.texas4x4.org/showpost.php?p=275344&postcount=23

Cajun
09-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Thanks, I think I had an ADD moment last night and couldn't quit typing. Just glad I could remember that much. :D

Those guys are real cool, here is a video of it on widow maker.

http://www.texas4x4.org/showpost.php?p=275344&postcount=23

That's the Ryan I know. You could hear that thing bouncing off the rev limiter across the park at Katemcy when we were there for Memorial Day.

AggieTJ2007
09-10-2009, 11:22 AM
http://gallery.me.com/chilburn/100226

here is a video put together with pictures and videos of king of trees. me and ed are in it around the 8 min mark

8Runner
09-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Is there a way to blow that video up? It shows up the size of a thumbnail on my monitor.

85cj7
09-10-2009, 05:20 PM
good use of The Eagles

DRAGOONRANCH
09-11-2009, 06:31 AM
I think I may need a new tailgate. :D

http://littleredrubicon.com/tr090905/images/IMG_6693.jpg

DRAGOONRANCH
09-11-2009, 06:32 AM
http://littleredrubicon.com/tr090905/images/IMG_6694.jpg

BroncoJo
09-11-2009, 07:52 AM