PDA

View Full Version : 07 Dodge 5.9 diesel Voodoo

BroncoJo
08-13-2009, 01:29 PM
First off i get **** millage 13-16 and it doesn't matter how you drive. I've had tanks at 70 mph, 80-90 mph, all city, pulling boats, it just don't matter. The read out will say 15 -22 but is never close to being correct.

So today I replaced the muffler and cat with a straight through 4in muffler(still very quiet). Leaving the shop I laid down a steady stream of smoke, at normal get on the highway speed. I also notice that I could goose it and produce some smoke. Then still on my way home I stop at a light, when the light turns green i give it maybe 1/2 throttle to get over and the small car disappears in a cloud of smoke.

Now after making it home, I unload the **** out of the bed and take off for a drive. I stand on the throttle... not much smoke, down shift from slow roll... not much smoke. No matter what I do, not much smoke.

Did the truck reprogram its self? Is the lack of cat lowering boost levels? Why is the 07 getting so much fuel? maybe to make up for the power robbing cat?

JB
08-13-2009, 02:20 PM
I know what the problem is.

DRAGOONRANCH
08-13-2009, 02:35 PM
out with it then!`

mudtoy67
08-13-2009, 02:54 PM
Mine gets 18.5-19 pretty regular. I've got 4.10 gears so if I'm on the highway for a long trip doing 70 it'll drop off a bit. I have noticed that the amount of smoke will change with how I drive it. If I've been taking it easy for a few days and then in a hurry one day, it'll smoke for the first few hard pulls and then it won't smoke anymore. When I removed the device in front of the muffler I noticed the smoke went away completely. After a week or so it was back to normal. I still have the stock muffler.

I'm betting the computer adjusts itself to how you drive. That's the way gassers have been for years.

BroncoJo
08-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Mine gets 18.5-19 pretty regular. I've got 4.10 gears so if I'm on the highway for a long trip doing 70 it'll drop off a bit. I have noticed that the amount of smoke will change with how I drive it. If I've been taking it easy for a few days and then in a hurry one day, it'll smoke for the first few hard pulls and then it won't smoke anymore. When I removed the device in front of the muffler I noticed the smoke went away completely. After a week or so it was back to normal. I still have the stock muffler.

I'm betting the computer adjusts itself to how you drive. That's the way gassers have been for years.

wow it only took 3 replies to get one pertaining to the actual topic.:gigem:

Does your read-out say 18-19? or is that hand calculated? If that is hand calculated what does your read out say?

mudtoy67
08-13-2009, 03:04 PM
hand calculated. My readout is usually 19.5-21.5

Eckert
08-13-2009, 03:10 PM
if it makes you feel better, my readout says 25-28. i get 18-23.

should have got the 6spd like i told you...

BroncoJo
08-13-2009, 03:11 PM
if it makes you feel better, my readout says 25-28. i get 18-23.

should have got the 6spd like i told you...

but i want to go fast:flipoff2:

BroncoJo
08-13-2009, 03:21 PM
Here is some chad nutz math

This kinda pisses me off:

My speedometer seems to be dead on according to the police speed-o-readers, even though I am running 285 tires. This means that the speedometer must have been off with the factory 265 tires? I estimate ruffly a 5% difference between the two tires; therefore my truck reads having 105% of the actual miles? I'm gonna have to run 35's to make up the difference now:D

mudtoy67
08-13-2009, 03:29 PM
I don't think even Chadnutz could pull off that kind of math.:flipoff2:

BroncoJo
08-13-2009, 03:34 PM
I don't think even Chadnutz could pull off that kind of math.:flipoff2:

Personal Attack!:flipoff2::flipoff2::gigem:

StevenAg03
08-13-2009, 04:07 PM
First off i get **** millage 13-16 and it doesn't matter how you drive. I've had tanks at 70 mph, 80-90 mph, all city, pulling boats, it just don't matter. The read out will say 15 -22 but is never close to being correct.

So today I replaced the muffler and cat with a straight through 4in muffler(still very quiet). Leaving the shop I laid down a steady stream of smoke, at normal get on the highway speed. I also notice that I could goose it and produce some smoke. Then still on my way home I stop at a light, when the light turns green i give it maybe 1/2 throttle to get over and the small car disappears in a cloud of smoke.

Now after making it home, I unload the **** out of the bed and take off for a drive. I stand on the throttle... not much smoke, down shift from slow roll... not much smoke. No matter what I do, not much smoke.

Did the truck reprogram its self? Is the lack of cat lowering boost levels? Why is the 07 getting so much fuel? maybe to make up for the power robbing cat?

FWIW, it seems the 3rd gens smoke way more then the 2nd gens. my dads 06 is completly stock except for 35s and it smokes pretty good when you stand on it from a stop.

eight
08-13-2009, 06:06 PM
Most truck's speedometers are off like that. All the fords I've checked are.

Seth
08-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Agreed on speedos. but the odometers are not always the same. My work truck was dead nuts on speedo, but 6% off on odo. I haven't checked since I put the new 265s on.