PDA

View Full Version : extra air tank for compressor

colman
10-06-2009, 05:13 PM
looking for a 20-30 gallon air tank to enhance the capacity of my 33 gallon craftsman compressor so it will work better with the plasma. my compressor is only a little over a year old so i don't want to replace it. It has been great and i like having it 120v so i can take it anywhere if I need to.

Would it hurt the compressor to add that much more capacity?

I have one of those little portable 5 gallon fill up tanks but think more would be better

robertf03
10-06-2009, 05:38 PM
extra volume won't hurt it, at the shop I worked at in plano every compressor we killed became a tank. If its 120v I'm thinking its oiless and from personal experience running them past the duty cycle kills them. Big tanks will do that.

colman
10-06-2009, 09:27 PM
yes its oil less, didn't plan on running a plasma and also didn't want it to be 220 cause the only outlet we have is for the dryer and that would be a pita and didn't think it was worth it to add an outlet to the garage for college

Graystroke
10-06-2009, 10:42 PM
yes its oil less, didn't plan on running a plasma and also didn't want it to be 220 cause the only outlet we have is for the dryer and that would be a pita and didn't think it was worth it to add an outlet to the garage for college

extension cord! go to that electric place in bryan and you can make an extra HD one for like $30

Doug Krebs
10-06-2009, 10:53 PM
extension cord! go to that electric place in bryan and you can make an extra HD one for like $30

Not very long! The ends are quite expensive themselves.

colman
10-06-2009, 11:16 PM
brian just got a 30 or so foot one from home depot, he just got the correct guage for the plasma cutter and put some ends on it. according to the manual you can use up to 50 foot at that guage.