PDA

View Full Version : CJ7 heater leaking

J Cooper
11-26-2002, 01:45 PM
need some help, the hose going to the heater on my cj I guess busted in side the heater or on the inside firewall somewhere after I replaced the hose coming from the waterpump to the firewall the other day (the guys that went to the cleanup know which one im talking about) and I can not find it or even really know what happened. When I turn it on it just leaking alot of coolent on the passanger floor board. This is my daily driver and the only way I have to get to school and get around. If anybody would like to help me out with some stuff after the thanksgiving break, like next monday, I would appreciate it, im new around here and dont really have anybody around here to help me with problem solving :mad: I can pay in beer or money, I would just hate to use the mechanic word :eek: for something this small let me know

mark
11-26-2002, 02:45 PM
Sounds like the heater core.

Quick fix:
Route a hose from the heater core output on the engine to the heater core return on the intake (or where ever it is). Your existing hose will work. This eliminates the heater core from the coolant loop (read: no heat) but it eliminates the leak too.

Less quick fix:
Pull the heater box. Replace the heater core. Reinstall the heater box. If you have a later CJ, do the Blazer blower motor upgrade. I have the necessary hole saw to do this.

-Mark

J Cooper
11-26-2002, 03:12 PM
thanks ill try the no heater thing when I get back home. sounds like a quick fix. The heater doesnt work very good anyways. But if it stays cold like this I might come and ask you how to do the blazer blower thing, I have a 85 CJ7 but the motor is a 78 304 out of a 5. so ill see whats up. I just didnt want to have to pull out all the heating **** if i didnt know what was wrong.... never done it before either.
thanks
-Cooper

mark
11-26-2002, 03:23 PM
It's not too difficult to do in your case. There are 5 bolts on the firewall, two hoses, 3 control cables and two wiring connectors.

Once you drop it, the plastic case splits in half and the core comes right out.

You then enlarge the firewall hole for the larger blower motor then put it all back together.

Total time 3 hours.

-Mark

J Cooper
11-26-2002, 03:51 PM
and it works pretty good... I mean is it worth the time? I was thinking about buying one of those portable plug in heaters but was afraid of burning the jeep down. and you said you had the hole saw? Sweet well ill be back in town next week, I might think about doing that.

mark
11-26-2002, 05:10 PM
It is well worth it. For less than $20 your heater will work (if you have hot coolant).

You can burn your toes off in my jeep.

-Mark