PDA

View Full Version : towing with the burb

colman
11-03-2009, 03:52 PM
I don't tow with it often and will be keeping it for a few more years so a pirate like response of go get a diesel dually or you will kill someone is not needed.

2000 1500 2wd suburban 5.3 120k miles, has tow package (hitch, cooler, etc) and i have a brake controller.

towing my 18ft trailer with cj on top and probably not much more weight than that (though weve had to use it to tow the blazer before, long story)

i know the shocks are gone but was trying to figure out the best way to make it tow ok, i have no problem not trying to go 80 but with the car like coil sprung rear and worn out shocks its no fun

i was thinking a set of air bags and hd shocks. what brands etc. what to stay away from. opinions in general

Eckert
11-03-2009, 04:44 PM
having a diesel and going 80+ is bad news for your trailer. so i say your on the right track...

:flipoff2:

Doug Krebs
11-03-2009, 04:57 PM
having a diesel and going 80+ is bad news for your trailer. so i say your on the right track...

yeah, i've seen the tires on his trailer

uglyota
11-03-2009, 04:58 PM
a 2000 burban has rear coils?
replace the shocks and call it good

bcolman
11-03-2009, 07:17 PM
the reason for this is last time i had to use this to to the blazer i couldnt keep it in one lane over about 65, and yes i know the trailer was loaded properly cause i have towed with the burb before and it didint do that two years ago

Sharpe
11-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Load distributing hitch. The one with the springy arms. Cook uses one for towing the DS with his 1500. I have one at my shop but dont really need it. We used to tow a 30' camper with a K5 blazer so yes, it was needed then :laughing:

CheapJeep
11-03-2009, 07:25 PM

who does that?

Eckert
11-03-2009, 07:40 PM
who does that?

me on the way back from clayton. i decided just to pust a smiley face sticker over the EGT :flipoff2:

Graystroke
11-03-2009, 07:55 PM
does it have the load leveling option? If so, you then may have to do some trickery on the computer to get rid of the OEM style. Those shocks are $125 ea.

JB
11-03-2009, 08:57 PM
new shocks and WD hitch. Done. No reason a a suburban shouldn't be able to pull a CJ at 70.

JB
11-03-2009, 08:57 PM
me on the way back from clayton. i decided just to pust a smiley face sticker over the EGT :flipoff2:

you are such a badass

BroncoJo
11-03-2009, 09:06 PM
your such a badass

That was funny because Robbie was too hungover to drive therefore Tyler and I drove back... ass :gigem:

Colman- What about it not being 4wd? isn't that going to be a problem too?

85cj7
11-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Colman- What about it not being 4wd? isn't that going to be a problem too?

huh? why? 2wd vehicles have higher towing capacities than 4wd vehicles.

Eckert
11-03-2009, 09:18 PM
the burban squats pretty damn bad when the trailer is empty, what is all offered for it rear spring and/or air bag wise?

Doug Krebs
11-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Air bags were the best thing I ever did for my craptastic F150.

BroncoJo
11-03-2009, 09:21 PM
huh? why? 2wd vehicles have higher towing capacities than 4wd vehicles.

quoted for the stupidity :flipoff2:

+1 for airbags and factory replacement shocks.

AggieTJ2007
11-03-2009, 09:27 PM
quoted for the stupidity :flipoff2:

+1 for airbags and factory replacement shocks.

it is true and makes sense.

the two vehicles have the same GVWR but the 2wd version weighs less than the 4wd version so you can tow more

BroncoJo
11-03-2009, 09:33 PM
it is true and makes sense.

the two vehicles have the same GVWR but the 2wd version weighs less than the 4wd version so you can tow more

**** we do need sarcastic font... Next thing you'll tell me is i don't need my mirrors out to drive through CS. :rolleyes:

JB
11-03-2009, 09:39 PM
**** we do need sarcastic font... Next thing you'll tell me is i don't need my mirrors out to drive through CS. :rolleyes:

I think what our resident diesel douche is trying to say is that 4wd is a plus for getting to the campsites we go to. I know the K rocks, Spring Creek, BMRA, and Shiloh Ridge grounds [sarcastic font] really require a 4wd vehichle[/sarcastic font]. ANd that A&A parking lot......you really need that 4 pull:flipoff2:

sasquatch
11-03-2009, 10:21 PM
wd hitch is the ****. you are req to have one pulling a trailer over 5 or 6k with a half ton. i will be installing some aux bags in the back of my white truck.

p.s. dodges with the mirrors out and no trailer behind them are :rainbow::rainbow::rainbow: :flipoff2:

DRAGOONRANCH
11-04-2009, 12:38 AM
Holy **** the funny is strong in this thread. Unfortunately only about half of the people in here are catching it quick enough. :D

Shocks: Bilstien is the spankalicious reply on diesel place.

Airbags: Firestone or Airlift (in that order for quality)

A WD hitch would help out a good bit also.

BMFScout
11-04-2009, 01:13 AM
We hit the speed limiter on my mom's half ton conversion van out in NM with my scout and St.John's trailer on it with the big box on the front. 3/4 ton super duper trucks are not required to tow a vehicle. It had a WD hitch on it, so I guess that would be good and replace whatever is worn.(shocks) Fred tows his scout with our 18' car hauler behind his tahoe. He has bags on it, but I'm not sure he's ever used them. For some reason everyone in this club thinks if you don't have a diesel dually you can't tow a 4500 lb vehicle to Oklahoma. You may not hang with the 8.1, but you'll get there! :)

DRAGOONRANCH
11-04-2009, 01:41 AM
We hit the speed limiter on my mom's half ton conversion van out in NM with my scout and St.John's trailer on it with the big box on the front. 3/4 ton super duper trucks are not required to tow a vehicle. It had a WD hitch on it, so I guess that would be good and replace whatever is worn.(shocks) Fred tows his scout with our 18' car hauler behind his tahoe. He has bags on it, but I'm not sure he's ever used them. For some reason everyone in this club thinks if you don't have a diesel dually you can't tow a 4500 lb vehicle to Oklahoma. You may not hang with the 8.1, but you'll get there! :)

Screw that! RRDH

:D

BroncoJo
11-04-2009, 09:37 AM

I'm pretty sure no-one here said he needed a diesel ;)

robertf03
11-04-2009, 09:50 AM
you don't need a diesel.... or a tow rig

sack up, drive it.

DRAGOONRANCH
11-04-2009, 09:52 AM

sack up, drive it.

R :flipoff2:

bcolman
11-04-2009, 10:43 AM

sack up, drive it.

that would mean that he couldnt finish working on the jeep once he gets to the offroad park :flipoff2:

uglyota
11-04-2009, 01:54 PM
the reason for this is last time i had to use this to to the blazer i couldnt keep it in one lane over about 65, and yes i know the trailer was loaded properly cause i have towed with the burb before and it didint do that two years ago

brian what is the real problem? When I have the tongue too heavy on my trailer, it seems to both squat the rear and unweight the front of my tahoe, resulting in loose/squirrely steering, I assume part of this is because the nose is up in the air, the caster is effectively rotated back a bit. Airbags would help that, but airbags wouldn't really help the front end being light, which seems like a bigger problem from the standpoint of emergency steering/braking, etc.

Replace the shocks just cuz it's a good idea, but if you are choosing between the weight distributing hitch and airbags, I'd go with the hitch

bcolman
11-04-2009, 03:09 PM
it wasnt cause it was loaded improperly, i have towed with to much tongue weight before and this was a different kind of sway, it felt and looking in the mirror as though just the back of the burb was moving side to side (ie something in the rear suspension), not the trailer or the front, but since the rear of the burb was moing it would push around the front of the burb

i know that is confusing, but maybe it makes for sense

uglyota
11-04-2009, 03:24 PM
maybe with coils in the rear you need a beefed up swaybar?

colman
11-04-2009, 05:22 PM
i guess i will start with the hd shocks and see how it tows to the creek next weekend.

sharpe is that wd hitch you had extra, wana get rid of it?

maybe i just need more triangulation

Reckless
11-04-2009, 05:34 PM
kyb monomax shocks are bad ass and decently priced

JB
11-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Maybe a dumb question, but how the hell do I know what my tongue weight ends up being? There are different hitches for 600lb tw and for 800 lbs tw. Is it really that picky? Or does that mean that it applies that amount of tw?

I would bet my TW is higher than 800 with the trailer winch and a generator and the bed loaded with **** for longer trips. And the cheapest one on etrailer is ****ing $250. I have always wanted one, but maybe not.

JB
11-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Round bar vs trunnion bar? Sway control? Swaying really is not an issue. I am guessing you would want sway control if you are pulling a big travel trailer that is catches the wind

85cj7
11-04-2009, 05:41 PM
I'm interested in the same details.

colman
11-04-2009, 09:15 PM
when i pull the trailer it waggs with the burb but doesn't with brians 2500 or with my 2500 loaded identically

JB
11-04-2009, 09:20 PM
when i pull the trailer it waggs with the burb but doesn't with brians 2500 or with my 2500 loaded identically

do you need to change the ball height? The relation between F150 and my trailer requires a 2.5" raised ball.

Seth
11-04-2009, 09:20 PM
except that the vehicles are different, therefore, the vehicle/trailer is not loaded identically.

Edit : I'm saying the additional weight in the rear of a sub should be considered, if that wasnt clear.

colman
11-05-2009, 03:51 AM
trailers all sat the same, different balls on different drop hitches used. trailer was always level

Graystroke
11-05-2009, 10:29 AM
tongue weight: go to scale and unhitch trailer put tongue on scale... (better way)or weigh rear axle of truck, no trailer, add trailer and deduct axle weight.
go to an airstream forum, people discuss this at length b/c people are pulling 27ft airstreams w/ 108" WB Range Rovers and Jeep Cherokees