PDA

View Full Version : how hard is it to intall some quarters?

TdmayfieldIV
11-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Ive got a 79 bronco and the rear quarters are all rusted out. I bought new ones and I don't really have the tools or skill required to do the job i think. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it really that hard?

AggieTJ2007
11-12-2009, 10:57 PM
in theory it isn't too hard but the welding sucks. but i am not a body guy ask Clarke for better advice

KrazyKarl02
11-13-2009, 12:48 AM
Do the quarters have a bevel where you can lap weld them or is it butt welded?

I would say it is not hard with a proper mig and place to do it. Where I would f' it up is I would get in a hurry. I mean you have to cut your old stuff out, cut the new panels, fit them right, tack them, make sure they are right, seam weld them, grind that down, primer it, float that primer, sand it, re-sand it, re-prime/sand multiple times, then paint.

In other words it is hard to fit this into a weekend and you need a clean place to spray primer and paint.

Tigweld/St. John is probably the resident expert on how it "should" be done.

DRAGOONRANCH
11-13-2009, 01:37 AM
If you have to butt weld it, get some thin strap to back the weld with. Makes a huge difference on that thin ass metal.

TdmayfieldIV
11-13-2009, 09:14 AM
no it is held on by spot welds on the backside of the panel. You have to cut the spot welds then spot weld the new panel on.

DRAGOONRANCH
11-13-2009, 09:40 AM
If that is all you are doing, then anyone with decent mig skills should be able to help hook you up.

BroncoJo
11-13-2009, 10:19 AM
no it is held on by spot welds on the backside of the panel. You have to cut the spot welds then spot weld the new panel on.

This confuses me. Your saying it is only spot welded on?

Whatever the case i have a mig and plasma, if you want to give it a shot over here just let me know.

KrazyKarl02
11-13-2009, 11:02 AM

So the fender on the truck is not original now? Because from the factory this is not how it came.

Seems like what you are describing is a replacement fender with a lap seam, this makes life a little easier.

TdmayfieldIV
11-13-2009, 04:12 PM
i got a whole replacement quarterpanel. The original is held onto the rest of the body by spot welds around the perimiter.

tigweld
11-15-2009, 01:16 PM
its not too hard you really just need to take your time and remember to check your door and tailgate fit before you final weld anything. aftermarket quarters are usually thinner and don't match perfect so they take a little more tweakin' to get to fit(if you don't have a good hammer dolly set-up u need to). I don't know where all the factory lead seams on a early bronco are if any(maybe rocker,upper cab corner) but if you get into one you will have the sweat the factory lead out if you want it to weld very well in the areas around it. IMO quarters if you need them to be perfect(show car) really should be left to a pro, but on an off road truck or driver its a good learning experiance for someone looking to save a buck.

If you have any ?'s during the process fill free to post some pix and I sure I can give you some idea's