PDA

View Full Version : TTB wanted

ol burj
11-23-2009, 06:05 PM
does anyone who has done a SAS on a bronco still have all their old TTB crap? Im pretty sure my **** is shot on my bronco and i dont have the money to start an SAS right now or the money to fix up the current one. id rather just put a working system in it for now.

BroncoJo
11-23-2009, 06:15 PM
does anyone who has done a SAS on a bronco still have all their old TTB crap? Im pretty sure my **** is shot on my bronco and i dont have the money to start an SAS right now or the money to fix up the current one. id rather just put a working system in it for now.

I dout its all broke and if it is just throw the bronco away.

Figure out what you need, ie differential, axle shafts, hubs or brakes and ask for that. Also I think you have an 80 and from what I hear not everything interchanges.

Edit - You might want to pm karl I know he is a big fan of TTB

jerryg79
11-23-2009, 06:42 PM
oh an 80 is the bastard bronco.

i agree, i highly doubt you could blow up an entire ttb setup.

KrazyKarl02
11-23-2009, 07:21 PM
What do you need? I don't have an entire unit right now (I will once I do a 1 ton swap) However I do have a 3.55 carrier, shafts, maybe a spindle or 2. What makes you think it is "shot". Describe what it is doing and I bet we can get it going. Is it making noise? both wheels not spinning?

Like others mentioned the 80 to 82 is a little different, but the parts fit. I am trying to remember, it is something with how the hidden TTB u-joint mounts to the carrier. I have a "modern" ttb in mine.

KrazyKarl02
11-23-2009, 07:22 PM
oh an 80 is the bastard bronco.

i agree, i highly doubt you could blow up an entire ttb setup.

The 87 - 88 was also a bit of a bastard with the hubs attached to the wheel, but really what bronco isn't a little bit of a bastard.

ol burj
11-23-2009, 08:43 PM
ok, tranfer case engages, front shaft spins, hubs locked, there is a clunking noise coming from what sounds like the third member. i was told it could be the hubs, i dunno cause i havent had a chance to mess with it yet on the account that i havent been home. they look factory so they probably need to be replaced. or its the third member. im going home after thanksgiving to work on it so any ideas would be helpful

BroncoJo
11-23-2009, 08:56 PM
By third member you mean differential (the third member is on the 9in). My guess is blown up spider gears or broke ring and pinion.

ol burj
11-23-2009, 09:16 PM
yea that. so should i replace my hubs first and then go from there? i was told the hubs might be bad if there was play in the axle shafts (like back and forth motion from the wheel to the diff)

stx4wheeler
11-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Try the hubs first. Heck I bet some people in the club would let you borrow a set to see if that is the problem. Other problems might be that 1 of the three u-joints in the axle shafts could be wornout/ broken. Then if hubs and joints check out pull the center chunk and inspect for problems. I gave Robert cook aka Sasquatch a 3.55 ttb center chunk a couple months ago call him and see if he wants to part with it.

85cj7
11-23-2009, 10:03 PM
Try the hubs first. Heck I bet some people in the club would let you borrow a set to see if that is the problem. Other problems might be that 1 of the three u-joints in the axle shafts could be wornout/ broken. Then if hubs and joints check out pull the center chunk and inspect for problems. I gave Robert cook aka Sasquatch a 3.55 ttb center chunk a couple months ago call him and see if he wants to part with it.

Cook has one in the backyard at dexter. i just saw the ttb center today.

KrazyKarl02
11-23-2009, 10:12 PM
I would guess it is a hub or broken shaft. Hubs, go buy some mile markers or warns to replace them.

If it is a shaft, several of us have extras.

TTB's are like a 9" in that the gears come out with the rear of the TTB, so it is like a 3rd member. If this is the issue, I have one, so does cook. The good thing about this is you can bolt it in place and you do not have to mess with setting the gears up.

Oh, make sure your truck actually has 3.55's. Ford liked to randomly throw a 3.00 in there.

Seth
11-24-2009, 05:25 PM
I might have a couple extra pieces if karl is missing them. I think I am down to all solid axle pieces though. Also, SAS really isnt that bad, just intimidating.

ol burj
11-30-2009, 11:47 AM
i think i figured out what the problem is. on the passenger side there are two shafts leading from the differential to the outer shaft. they are connected by what looks like the longer shaft fits into the shorter shaft. i believe there is suppose to be some sort of rubber boot over this but thats long gone. anyway i believe the splines in the shafts are striped out. if i lock the hubs and turn the driveshaft by hand, the shorter shaft spins and grinds over the longer shaft inside of it. can i just weld these two shafts together or is that a bad idea?

KrazyKarl02
11-30-2009, 12:14 PM
i think i figured out what the problem is. on the passenger side there are two shafts leading from the differential to the outer shaft. they are connected by what looks like the longer shaft fits into the shorter shaft. i believe there is suppose to be some sort of rubber boot over this but thats long gone. anyway i believe the splines in the shafts are striped out. if i lock the hubs and turn the driveshaft by hand, the shorter shaft spins and grinds over the longer shaft inside of it. can i just weld these two shafts together or is that a bad idea?

Very, very, vary bad idea. That splined shaft is there to allow wheel travel on the long side. If you weld this you will either push/pull your hub apart during flex.

Here is a link to a drawing of the TTB and it's many parts (http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/diagrams/d44ttb.GIF)

Sounds to me like you need a complete long shaft, so basically remove the entire passenger TTB side, undo the secret TTB U-joint, and replace that entire assembly.

I in no way envy you!

jerryg79
11-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Very, very, vary bad idea. That splined shaft is there to allow wheel travel on the long side. If you weld this you will either push/pull your hub apart during flex.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/diagrams/d44ttb.GIF (here)

i think you mixed up the link and link title.

KrazyKarl02
11-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Yeah, I fixed it.

Shaggy
11-30-2009, 12:31 PM
i broke mine there several times... it is a good learning experience swapping it out. takes a little time though

KrazyKarl02
11-30-2009, 01:38 PM
i broke mine there several times... it is a good learning experience swapping it out. takes a little time though

By learning experience, I take it you mean, complete pain in the ass.

Shaggy
11-30-2009, 02:46 PM
i dont remember it being that bad

ol burj
11-30-2009, 02:49 PM
so where can i get these parts? do i just have to search for them or are there places to get cheap replacement parts?

KrazyKarl02
11-30-2009, 06:24 PM
i dont remember it being that bad

You where probably drunk.

Shaggy
12-01-2009, 10:08 PM
meh

85cj7
12-03-2009, 01:41 PM
parted out TTB. . . http://www.texas4x4.org/showthread.php?t=30407

ol burj
12-08-2009, 12:25 AM
does anyone have any passenger side dana 44 ttb shafts that they would like to sell me cheap?

KrazyKarl02
12-08-2009, 08:08 AM
There are actually 3 shafts on the passenger side. Do you need all 3?

ol burj
12-08-2009, 10:14 PM
i need those two shafts cause thats where its stripped out