PDA

View Full Version : Military Truck

Chadnutz
11-30-2002, 11:07 PM
There is an old military truck for sell near my parents house. I think $10,000 is too much for it, but I was wondering what kind of axles it pimped. They looked like beefy Ford 9"s. They had third members and the rear was full floating. The housings were round like 9s. The t-case was divorced and the max speed in 1st 4L was like 4-5 mph as written on some tag on the dash. Anyone know anything about these trucks? It looked sweet and it was in great shape, but a bit pricey.

bburris
12-01-2002, 12:20 AM
the axles are probably Rockwells or Eatons or something of the like...

it was probably one of the 5-ton crew trucks or something

Cajun
12-01-2002, 08:38 AM
2nd vote for Rockwells, those sound like the old-school ones, before they started making the top loaders.

I'll see if I can dig up a pic.

Chadnutz
12-01-2002, 02:02 PM
The truck was not even close to being a 5-ton. It was smaller than a full size pickup. It had a small bed and a regular cab. If there are webistes with pictures of military truck point me to them and I will look for a similar model.

robertf03
12-01-2002, 02:18 PM
so it was green and had a 3rd member, that narrows it down :D

its some sort of chevy. saw one out at the junkyard this weekend, not sure what axle it was. full floating w/ 3rd member. looked beefy, but I wouldn't touch it because its probably hard to find parts for.

probably had a sm420 and a rockwell transfercase and an inline 6.

Cajun
12-01-2002, 05:01 PM
How many lugs? 8? 10?

The rear may be an Eaton, but I can't think of any GM front axles that had 3rd members.

It's smaller than a fullsize? As in wheelbase? Does it have a regular GM truck cab, or is it an entirely different animal? What engine does it have?

I'm waiting for more info, but you may have run across an old aircraft tug, especially if it has a diesel. What kind of bumpers does it have? How 'bout a bed--shortened, flatbed, what?

robertf03
12-01-2002, 05:08 PM
might be one of those napco conversion front axles with a 3rd member

Chadnutz
12-01-2002, 05:12 PM
Man, I didn't look at it that hard. Didn't look at the motor or lug pattern. I'm not real familiar with old old body styles either. If it is still there during Christmas I will get a better look. If anyone is interested in it I can get the phone number of the place. Hell, I'm sure I could have even asked the guy what year and make it was. ;)

Cajun
12-01-2002, 05:12 PM
I thought the Napco trucks were strictly civilian?

What year/model body style is it? Pre-'73 or '73-'87? Something else?

Rex
12-02-2002, 03:03 AM
If it looks like one of these its an early fifties dodge m37, they have the third member like a ford 9" and you can get lunch-box lockers for them, that's about all i know. I rode with a guy from arkansas who had some under him mutt that was a tracker body on a car frame and 38's and about 10' tall!!! He broke one of the pins or something in the locker when i rode with him and he said it wasn't the first time.