PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with my d44

TdmayfieldIV
01-15-2010, 01:49 AM
My front axle is puking out fluid and i have a broken driver side u-joint. I looked up how to pull the axle shaft to change the seals and it involves pulling out the carrier and a special tool too. I have no idea what i'm doing or the tools to fix it.

Can anyone help me out with this. You won't have to sit there the whole time, i just need a place to work and some help every once and a while. I have time tomorrow and saturday.

A 2wd bronco is pretty useless in my book cause god knows it doesn't make a real good daily driver

If anyone can help me out i would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Tommy

85cj7
01-15-2010, 01:58 AM
is it ttb? if not I can help. If so, sorry, you probably know more about ttb than I do.

TdmayfieldIV
01-15-2010, 02:16 AM
solid axle

KrazyKarl02
01-15-2010, 08:10 AM
A 2wd bronco is pretty useless in my book cause god knows it doesn't make a real good daily driver

Actually, they drive surprisingly well in front wheel drive only...

85cj7
01-15-2010, 01:45 PM
I'll be available for sat. afternoon and sunday, monday. Let me know if you need the help.

TdmayfieldIV
01-15-2010, 02:05 PM
ok

Sharpe
01-15-2010, 03:04 PM
To replace the seals correctly yes you need to pull the carrier out. This sucks to do. One alternative option is these outter axle seals from Mad 4WD.

http://mad4wd.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=111_98&products_id=485

They go in the outter end of the tubes and will stop *most* of the leaking as well as keep dirt and **** out of the tubes. **** pulling the carrier. We will be working on stuff at The Dexter Hizzy all weekend so you are welcome to work on your **** there. I have a hydraulic press which will make replacing the u-joint suck less.

TdmayfieldIV
01-15-2010, 08:45 PM
where is the dexter hizzy?

colman
01-15-2010, 09:02 PM
on dexter........ off of holleman

Fredo
01-15-2010, 11:34 PM
To replace the seals correctly yes you need to pull the carrier out. This sucks to do.

**** pulling the carrier. We will be working on stuff at The Dexter Hizzy all weekend so you are welcome to work on your **** there. I have a hydraulic press which will make replacing the u-joint suck less.

Since when is pulling a carrier hard? Also, if you think changing a u-joint is a pain in the ass, then you picked the wrong hobby.

The biggest thing about pulling the carrier is making sure you don't get your bearing caps and their orientation mixed up. Then, when you put it back in, put locktite on the bearing cap bolts and torque them down with a torque wrench. When did that become difficult?

Eckert
01-16-2010, 12:25 AM
Since when is pulling a carrier hard? Also, if you think changing a u-joint is a pain in the ass, then you picked the wrong hobby.

The biggest thing about pulling the carrier is making sure you don't get your bearing caps and their orientation mixed up. Then, when you put it back in, put locktite on the bearing cap bolts and torque them down with a torque wrench. When did that become difficult?

not that is pertains to a ford D44. but don't some axles require a "case spreader" to pull the carrier?

Fredo
01-16-2010, 12:39 AM
Some say you need a case spreader, but I've never needed one. Just a couple of pry bars and being careful. Usually, if it is an original gearset in an older axle, it shouldn't take much to pry out the carrier.

DRAGOONRANCH
01-16-2010, 01:20 AM
14bolts are a pain, but no more than anything else we do. After baling hay all through school, I am pretty sure I can change u-joints in my sleep. :D

Sharpe
01-16-2010, 04:37 AM
14 bolt and 9"es are straight ****ing easy to dick with. Dana axles are a relative PITA due to the "need" for case spreaders and pry bars. I have changed PLENTY of u-joints with the good ol' BFH and Danny's sockets but as I said a press makes the whole process suck less. The Dexter Hizzy is at the END of South Dexter Drive on the Holleman side. Give me a call at 361-815-2408 before you come over. I'm drunk right now and will not get up until noon or so but if its not raining around then I'll be working on something.

DRAGOONRANCH
01-16-2010, 07:55 AM
Ok, let me rephrase that then. The 14bolt that we pulled the carrier out of to take to shupe at TCC was a pain to get out. :flipoff2:

(drinking zima's again I see) :rolleyes:

stx4wheeler
01-16-2010, 09:52 AM
All of the front 44's that I have had the honor to remove the carrier from sucked to get out. The only one that was easy was shupes 44 on his scout that I welded because his dad had a carrier spreader.