PDA

View Full Version : Registering an Antique Vehicle

DRAGOONRANCH
03-12-2010, 12:28 AM
Why would you want to do this you ask? How about no inspection!

Antiques & Classic Registered Vehicles

Vehicles registered as "Antiques" are exempted from the annual inspection. To see the restrictions on the use of antiques or to obtain more information on how to register your vehicle as an "Antique", see the TxDOT website.

Vehicles registered as "Classic" are required to have the annual safety inspection. These types of vehicles are inspected like any passenger vehicle. Certain items of inspection, however, may or may not be required to be inspected, depending on the age of the car. (For example, seatbelts and anchorages are only required if the vehicle was originally manufactured with them.)

or insurance?!!?!

(2) the motor vehicle is exempt from the insurance requirement because the person has established financial responsibility in a manner described by Section 601.051(2)-(5) or is exempt under Section 601.052.

Sec. 601.052. EXCEPTIONS TO FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY REQUIREMENT. (a) Section 601.051 does not apply to:

(1) the operation of a motor vehicle that:

(A) is a former military vehicle or is at least 25 years old;

(B) is used only for exhibitions, club activities, parades, and other functions of public interest and not for regular transportation; and

(C) for which the owner files with the department an affidavit, signed by the owner, stating that the vehicle is a collector's item and used only as described by Paragraph (B);

What forms do I need to file you ask!

Register your Vehicle as an Antique:
FORM (http://www.dot.state.tx.us/txdoteforms/GetForm?formName=/VTR-54.pdf&preference=PDFForm&appID=/vtr/specialty%20plates&fileID=1233334&status=/reportError.jsp&configFile=WFServletConfig.xml) Found here:http://www.txdmv.gov/whatyouneed/forms/license_plates.htm#antique

Waiver for Insurance Responsibility:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/sr-2.pdf

Classic Vehicle Registration (which will allow custome plates, but requires insurance):
FORM (http://www.dot.state.tx.us/txdoteforms/GetForm?formName=/VTR-850.pdf&preference=PDFForm&appID=/vtr/specialty%20plates&fileID=1233334&status=/reportError.jsp&configFile=WFServletConfig.xml)

DRAGOONRANCH
03-12-2010, 12:32 AM
I do NOT recommend driving around w/out insurance on your rig, but if it's pretty much a trail only rig and you would like to be able to drive it 'legaly' to meetings and truck shows on campus the insurance waiver may be what you want.

mark
03-12-2010, 09:02 AM
I just did this for my Jeep in VA.

They require the vehicle to be 25 years old. Mine just is.

No emissions or safety inspections per the State Police. I will say that I was lectured by the DMV counter person that I should have my vehicle inspected because they "don't want no unsafe vehicles on da road." Too bad that's not the DMV's responsibility. I, at one point had half the staff at this DMV location researching antique plates. I had to supply them the vehicle code section in the law that covered antique plates.

All this because I could not get anyone to inspect the Jeep (after 8 years of no problems). The non-English speaking car inspectors that I went to said "It no factory. No pass." I asked them to explain to me what was wrong with it, and I even produced the vehicle code, but none of them could. The one English speaker I found would inspect it, but he was too fat to get into it. Oh, I also got pulled over for an expired inspection while driving between the 6 places I tried.

So antique plates FTW.

-Mark

TexTJ209
03-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Ex-Military vehicles don't even need license plates.

Seth
03-12-2010, 03:44 PM
What is the financial responsibility they speak of?

colman
03-12-2010, 10:00 PM
so i tried to do this today for the cj and the local dmv is retarded. i showed them the financial responsability form filled out and notarized and they said that i had to mail it in to austin. i asked them then how was is supposed to get the copy the instructions said i was supposed to get to give to my tax assesor. she got pissed cause she is an idiot and told me to go and call the special investigator for auto theft. i called him left a message and got fed up. who knows. dmv is gay

85cj7
03-12-2010, 11:25 PM
i'm going to do this on the cj as well, I'm tired of getting inspections. thanks for the info ed.

DRAGOONRANCH
03-13-2010, 01:56 AM
so i tried to do this today for the cj and the local dmv is retarded. i showed them the financial responsability form filled out and notarized and they said that i had to mail it in to austin. i asked them then how was is supposed to get the copy the instructions said i was supposed to get to give to my tax assesor. she got pissed cause she is an idiot and told me to go and call the special investigator for auto theft. i called him left a message and got fed up. who knows. dmv is gay

Let me know how this turns out. I am going to start a thread on tx4x4 with the same info and want to let folks know what they need to know/have with them to make it as easy as possible.

junior88mj
03-13-2010, 04:09 PM
I have wifes 66 nova registered as antique . The antique plates are good for 5 yrs they are pro rated if you get them after march of the year that they started the 5 yr ( which was 3-2009 ,nova's are due 3-2013 ) so if you get them now you will have to renew 3-2013 . also get recreation insuance is cheap and has the same limited use as antique plates

colman
03-13-2010, 10:37 PM
my issue i'm having is getting the dmv to accept the insurance waiver form thingy. i will get back to yall monday after i hopefully get ahold of that officer

Seth
03-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Is it possibly bc you dont have the needed financials?

colman
03-14-2010, 09:54 AM
nope they didn't know what to do with the form. the lady looked confused and sent me somewhere else

Shaggy
03-14-2010, 12:18 PM
I would not drive without insurance. Its got to be what, 200 a year for liability?

DRAGOONRANCH
03-14-2010, 01:46 PM
I do NOT recommend driving around w/out insurance on your rig, but if it's pretty much a trail only rig and you would like to be able to drive it 'legaly' to meetings and truck shows on campus the insurance waiver may be what you want.

I would not drive without insurance. Its got to be what, 200 a year for liability?

:usa::texas::usa::texas:

Seth
03-14-2010, 04:35 PM
nope they didn't know what to do with the form. the lady looked confused and sent me somewhere else

so you have 75 grand set aside to fulfill the requirement?

colman
03-14-2010, 07:54 PM
so what if i do, i dont plan on driving this thing on the street much. i wouldn't mind being legal in clayton or legally test driving it around the neighborhood after i worked on it. how about a legal trip to the gas station without the need for a trailer. the list goes on

DRAGOONRANCH
03-14-2010, 11:10 PM
so you have 75 grand set aside to fulfill the requirement?

Can you please post the requirement for me? I can't seem to find where it says that in the statutes I listed above (for the 'antique exception'). :beer:

Seth
03-14-2010, 11:29 PM
http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/pubs/consumer/cb088.pdf

not the law book, but its a start.

Seth
03-14-2010, 11:31 PM
so what if i do, i dont plan on driving this thing on the street much. i wouldn't mind being legal in clayton or legally test driving it around the neighborhood after i worked on it. how about a legal trip to the gas station without the need for a trailer. the list goes on

You could get into a wreck damaging someone elses vehicle and or hurting someone doing any of those things.

DRAGOONRANCH
03-15-2010, 01:08 AM
You could get into a wreck damaging someone elses vehicle and or hurting someone doing any of those things.

Yes, but if he is willing to accept that liability, then the state has just given him a legal option of doing so.

colman
03-15-2010, 07:40 AM
if i were to drive it any farther than the neighborhood or the gas station at the edge i would get insurance. but antique plates and 50 for registration means for 5 years i can stop looking over my sholder as i do said minimal driving because i'm legal.

Seth
03-15-2010, 08:01 AM
Right, but my understanding is that in order to accept that liability, you musy prove that you are financially responsible for it.

DRAGOONRANCH
03-15-2010, 08:44 AM
(2) the motor vehicle is exempt from the insurance requirement because the person has established financial responsibility in a manner described by Section 601.051(2)-(5) or is exempt under Section 601.052.

Sec. 601.052. EXCEPTIONS TO FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY REQUIREMENT. (a) Section 601.051 does not apply to:

(B) is used only for exhibitions, club activities, parades, and other functions of public interest and not for regular transportation; and

(C) for which the owner files with the department an affidavit, signed by the owner, stating that the vehicle is a collector's item and used only as described by Paragraph (B);

or
1   /ɔr; unstressed ər/ Show Spelled[awr; unstressed er] Show IPA
–conjunction
(used to connect words, phrases, or clauses representing alternatives): books or magazines; to be or not to be.

I left out some of .052 as it pertains to golfcarts. :D

uglyota
03-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Here's another one you might be interested in:
and

are our functions of public interest? (I mean in a positive way?)
I'm guessing our redneck shiat fails to fulfill this requirement

DRAGOONRANCH
03-15-2010, 12:59 PM
I would think that is up to the owner to decide. If you want to put your name on the dotted line, it's on you.

colman
03-15-2010, 05:30 PM
that is the form that the local dmv didn't want to deal with cause they are tarded. i will try again later this week

Seth
03-15-2010, 06:20 PM
I think I would be more concerned with paragraph B. Test driving in the neighborhood and getting gas don't exactly qualify. If that is all you are really doing anyway, I would not think it would be a problem with the cops. I wonder what the citation for normal use with antique plates is? It seems to me that if the vehicle will be running on roads that arent closed down, then you would be in violation. Not to mention what happens when you forget to tighten a brake or steering component and rear end someone.

Sharpe
03-15-2010, 06:29 PM
How would the fuzz prove it is being used for more than recreation? Driving a project vehicle to work is utilitarian in nature but can be done with your "fun" vehicle every once in awhile. With that said, I looked into this awhile back for Pigpen, but ended up just getting A&M vanity plates instead.

DRAGOONRANCH
03-15-2010, 10:26 PM
It seems to me that if the vehicle will be running on roads that arent closed down, then you would be in violation.

Now who is reading in to it. :flipoff2:

DRAGOONRANCH
03-15-2010, 10:29 PM
that is the form that the local dmv didn't want to deal with cause they are tarded. i will try again later this week

If you ever find someone who understands this (or at least understands that there is no possible way that they could know the entire set of laws that govern how they do business), then remember to get their name so we can have other DMV personnel call them to verify if need be.

colman
03-16-2010, 07:00 AM
i will do, i'm out of town now but will be back thursday and try again

J Cooper
03-16-2010, 08:01 AM
my jeep just turned 25, these will be on soon.

85cj7
03-16-2010, 01:22 PM
my jeep just turned 25, these will be on soon.

x2

85cj7
04-28-2010, 03:29 PM
I got mine today:flipoff2:

new plate number 6Y 6F

very cool! and completely easy

colman
04-28-2010, 06:24 PM
its easy if you have insurance on it... yes i know its stupid not to have insurance.

Seth
04-28-2010, 06:50 PM

new plate number 6Y 6F

joo

85cj7
04-28-2010, 06:52 PM
joo

I don't think I follow:confused:

Eckert
04-28-2010, 06:52 PM

new plate number 6Y 6F

how much is registration?

85cj7
04-28-2010, 07:10 PM
It was free!

Because the 5 yr registration is pro-rated at $10/yr for a 5 yr period they take into account how long it has been sense you registered for the standard plates. Because of this fact I essentially had $32 of remaining 'balance' on my standard plates and 3 yrs ($30) until I have to re-register my new antique plates. So I guess if I wanted to get technical they should have refunded me $2.:gigem:

Seth
04-29-2010, 03:29 PM
I don't think I follow:confused:

I forgot you have a daily driver, I guess its not so bad after all.

Sharpe
04-29-2010, 03:42 PM
So I guess if I wanted to get technical they should have refunded me $2.:gigem:

I'm suprised you didnt.

colman
04-29-2010, 04:55 PM
we all know i would have gotten mine back....

DRAGOONRANCH
09-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Grandad is headed to check on this as we speak. May be able to have plates today if they don't require ins. first.