PDA

View Full Version : Hanging springs

Cajun
12-04-2002, 09:07 AM
I'm planning on hanging my springs this weekend, and I figured I'd get some input from you guys on where I should set the shackle hanger in relation to the spring. I'm planning on setting them up where the shackle is near vertical. Remember, the springs have no weight on them.

Thanks

mark
12-04-2002, 09:32 AM
Sounds like a start.

I am assuming the shackle hangers will be at the ends of the frame and you are adjusting the ends without a shackle.

Are you doing a shackle reversal up front?

Most folks see a 1.5 to 2" lift from 44044's over a flat Wrangler spring.

You will be dealing with a bit more weight so you might see less lift than that. You might measure eye to eye across the arch of the spring, and assuming a fairly flat loaded spring, and a 20 degree shackle angle when loaded, set the hanger accordingly.

I just wouldn't weld them all the way. Just run a bit of a grindable bead on the outside. Once its together, decide if they need to be moved.

Measure once, cut five times.

-Mark

Cajun
12-04-2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by mark

I am assuming the shackle hangers will be at the ends of the frame and you are adjusting the ends without a shackle.
-Mark

I am going to RS the front. The front hanger (rigid) will be 1" forward of the stock hanger. The rear hangers will be in the stock locations, but onboard the frame. The GM springs I'm using in the rear are the same length as the stock Scout ones.

mark
12-04-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Cajun
The GM springs I'm using in the rear are the same length as the stock Scout ones.

GM? What are they off of? I thought you were going Rancho all around?

-Mark

Cajun
12-04-2002, 11:58 AM
They're 52" rear springs from whatever Nick pulled the 14 bolt I bought from him out of, I think the 52s came under the K20s. I cut the overload down into a 1" block, and pulled the 2 shortest leaves out. Judging by my "jump test" the spring rate is similar to the 44044s, but we'll see.

I had planned on going 44044s all the way around, but a quick price check ($25 vs. $200) convinced me otherwise.:D

mark
12-04-2002, 12:33 PM
Sounds quite scientific, the jump test and all.

Ahh, screw it. Weld the biatches on there and let the shakle fall where it will.

-Mark

AgDieseler
12-04-2002, 12:41 PM
Andy,

The 52 inchers that you have are actually designed for a half ton. 56" springs were designed for 3/4 and 1 ton 2/4wds. There are some rare 3/4 ton vehicles (mostly subs) that had 52"s. That's good, because the GM 90 is one of the best factory springs available. They are slightly stiffer than a Ford 57" spring. They're short (good departure angle), and soft as hell. And now that you've removed some of the leaves they should work out well.