PDA

View Full Version : fun car project

Jackasic
12-05-2002, 12:54 PM
this guy has more chutzpa than me. wow what a project.

got to love the quote:

"My wife told me "If you hurt yourself bad, make sure you die". I think she knows about the insurance policy."

http://www.theriens.com/lotus/

Fredo
12-05-2002, 01:41 PM
hmm...by "chutzpa" you must mean more money and even less sense. It's still a Lotus. For the money he's dumping into it, he could have bought an 89 car that was in good shape, simply swapped the motor out of the 97 or 99, whichever motor he ended up using, then slapped the interior in the 89 car and been there without having to "restore" a car that is only 13 years old. Instead he bought an 89 that was apparently hacked to **** and neglected and used as an SCCA car....brilliant candidate for a resto:rolleyes:

Graystroke
12-05-2002, 08:59 PM
I think that was what he was planning. He later found out that none of the stuff matches up exactly (89>97 or 97>89. Kudos for all the work he's doing himself. The way it sounds is that he bought the 89 to put in a new drivetrain (not Lotus). Then found the 97(totaled) and thought of just putting on the 89 body but, discovered the frame bent on the 97. Cool project if you have the time and an understanding wife. I think he's the guy with the "project" the neighborhood all talks about.

uglyota
12-06-2002, 11:05 PM
How much of this are you guys guilty of?
old lumber and plastic cans supporting WAAY too much weight?
Check!
ratty nylon straps supporting WAAY too much weight?
Yup!
crawling or standing beneath the teetering rig?
Sure have!
And the dumbest of all...dumping ALL THAT $$$$ into a vehicle that'll probably be worth zilch when it's done.
I think we all fit that one!

That page is full of all kinds of wisdom:
The EPA stopped production of this stuff, BUT I found a couple of cans stashed away at...
Black is beautiful!
All the way from Canada, Aay?

Now that's Kustom.

Good find,Brandon