PDA

View Full Version : EFI computer question

CRaSHnBuRN
12-06-2002, 01:37 AM
As some of you know, toyotas like mine have the efi computer located down in the passenger side kick panel. This location and the fact that it isn't really waterproof could cause problems in deep water crossings. So I'm going to relocate it. Most people say to just mount it above the glove box in the dash. My question is why not get a small waterproof ammo box and place it in there? The only problem I could see would be possible heat buildup. Would this be a problem, or should I not worry about it? I really can't say I've ever checked to see if the the thing gets warm of not. Any other problems with this idea?

bburris
12-06-2002, 10:38 AM
I've never checked about heat on the computer either, but couldn't you keep it cool with a little auxilary fan off a CPU?

CRaSHnBuRN
12-06-2002, 10:55 AM
I thought about that. But my question is this, if I place it inside the sealed box, would it actually make that big of a difference? And of course if I cut a hole for it in the side of the box, then I would be back at square one.

I guess I could always leave the lid open until I'm in a area where it would need to be sealed.

Oh, one other thing, does anyone think that condensation inside the metal ammo can could be a problem? I use ammo cans for spare parts storage, but I've really never looked to see if any moisture forms inside.

bburris
12-06-2002, 11:13 AM
I didn't think about the fact that all the fan would do is blow the same warm air in the box around, but there would be some airflow, at the very least. I think as long as you kept the box clean and dry it would keep clear of condensation, but you could probably put a couple crackers or something similar in there to soak up any moisture.

Don't boats have completely enclosed stereos to keep water out? I've thought of putting a marine CD player with the whole water tight enclosure in my Jeep a few times before. A stereo gets really hot, so wouldn't that be similar to the problem you see?

jmancuso
12-06-2002, 01:07 PM
Think about how hot it gets in your car when it is parked in the parking lot in mid July. Then add about 20% to that and I bet the car will still crank and run just fine. I say don’t worry about heat!

uglyota
12-06-2002, 10:32 PM
Man I'd go with your original idea. Get it up under the dash and forget about it. Your only problem might be extending the loom that drops through the floorboards and goes back to your taillights, gas tank, and stuff. I'm not sure of the best way to do that (maybe find another couple of looms off a junk truck that happens to fit it, and put it together with long enough wires that you have a nice looking splice). Actually, I think there's another connection near where it drops through the floorboards that you could do this easily! I'm just wary about cutting up stock wiring if I don't have to. I'll look at it and let you know (all the carpet's out of my truck and the wiring's exposed:D ). Anyway, the point is, if you get your computer up there, lots of other stuff will get fubared before water hits your computer (mainly the tophat-looking thing under the driver's side kickpanel...might think about relocating that stuff, too.
PS another reason not to risk baking the stock computer...$300 replacement!

CRaSHnBuRN
12-07-2002, 02:48 AM
Yeah, the more I think about it the less concerned I am with the heat buildup. Its just nice to get some second opinions on it.

Just sticking it above the glovebox would be the easiest. I've did a little searching on POR, and some people says it is possible to do it without even cutting the wires, as there is enough spare wiring already attached to it to make it reach. And sure, there are a lot of other things that'll die long before water hits the computer. Its just that I would just like my POS as waterproof as possible. Hmm, decisions, decisions (hey I gotta keep myself busy with the small stuff till my new driveshafts are done)

mudtoy67
12-08-2002, 10:14 PM
I think what you need to do is just drop in an LT1 out of a Corvette....they have a sealed weatherproof computer. Then you don't have to worry about water in the computer.:D

CRaSHnBuRN
12-09-2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by mudtoy67
I think what you need to do is just drop in an LT1 out of a Corvette....they have a sealed weatherproof computer. Then you don't have to worry about water in the computer.:D

And what, lose the awesome power that my 22re gives me? I don't think so :D