PDA

View Full Version : Post-Trip-Trauma

crdub09
10-05-2010, 02:03 AM
On my way back from Alto, I rode with both of my front shocks disconnected. After a couple of bumps, both of my stock front sway bar links broke off at the balljoint. Does anyone have any cheap solutions to keep my bodyroll down? Im not feelin the $165 JKS discos for a few months... :confused2

85cj7
10-05-2010, 02:10 AM
First off, why did you have both your front shocks disconnected and not your sway bar disconnected? It seems like you reversed the two.

Secondly, I don't do swaybars, but can't you replace the broken parts (prob. find an entire stock sway bar someone else removed for cheap) and either do a homemade quick disconnect (google it) or just unbolt the sway bars when off-roading?

85cj7
10-05-2010, 02:11 AM
here ya go on the homemade discos- it was the first link that came up.
http://www.4x4xplor.com/homediscos.html

crdub09
10-05-2010, 02:22 AM
First off, why did you have both your front shocks disconnected and not your sway bar disconnected? It seems like you reversed the two.

Well my shocks are meant for a stock height and I wanted to see if the pops and cracks I was experiencing was because of the overextended shocks. I reconnected the swaybar to give myself a bit of stability on the road.

Secondly, I don't do swaybars, but can't you replace the broken parts (prob. find an entire stock sway bar someone else removed for cheap) and either do a homemade quick disconnect (google it) or just unbolt the sway bars when off-roading?

I basically need new links which ill look around for.

Actually if you look at the end of the link in the picture I have almost that exact setup minus a washer or two, problem is- I snapped the ball out of the joint at the top. the swaybar links are toast. :beer:

85cj7
10-05-2010, 02:24 AM
So you have stock length shocks on a lifted jeep?

crdub09
10-05-2010, 02:29 AM
Yep, Thats how I roll. or fail to..?

crdub09
10-05-2010, 02:31 AM
Ill add whats going on in a buildup thread im working on- basically I have 4" 5100's in the rear im moving up front and new 3" 5100's in the mail for the rear. Its just the shipping is really taking its time.

85cj7
10-05-2010, 02:35 AM
I bet you Tate has exactly what you are looking for, as long as finding replacement links go. You and his sexual preferences are between the two of you.:flipoff2:

Shaggy
10-05-2010, 10:17 AM
i have the ones off mt tj... pm me

breckboarder55
10-05-2010, 10:17 AM

Someone can't read pictures :flipoff2:

Putting shocks in will help you more than a sway bar. I would prioritize getting proper sized shocks first. This was kind of a silly thing to do. It is pretty typical to hear noises in your suspension unloading/loading off-road, don't worry I remember it making me nervous as well.

You can buy that entire sway bar link assembly at most auto-parts stores. You could also look at a junkyard. Check out Collins Bros, or www.daveysjeeps.com I have an extra one at my parents house, but I wouldn't be able to get it up here until next week.

I would just visit Tommy at Napa, a new end link is about $25-30 IIRC.

AggieTJ2007
10-05-2010, 04:31 PM
your rear shocks won't mount in the front. The fronts are a post style while the rear are eyes on both ends unless you make some adapters that is

crdub09
10-05-2010, 04:53 PM
I've got the adapters that are basically a ubolt that has a bolt that goes straight up. That way I can mount my rears in whatever orientation I want

85cj7
10-22-2010, 01:21 AM
$20 for some RE ones
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=926389

breckboarder55
11-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Just out of curiosity, what size shocks did you end up running on each end? Do you know the extended and collapsed lengths? Are you still running adapters?

NealtheDestroyr
11-15-2010, 12:30 PM
Someone can't read pictures :flipoff2:

Putting shocks in will help you more than a sway bar. I would prioritize getting proper sized shocks first. This was kind of a silly thing to do. It is pretty typical to hear noises in your suspension unloading/loading off-road, don't worry I remember it making me nervous as well.

You can buy that entire sway bar link assembly at most auto-parts stores. You could also look at a junkyard. Check out Collins Bros, or www.daveysjeeps.com I have an extra one at my parents house, but I wouldn't be able to get it up here until next week.

I would just visit Tommy at Napa, a new end link is about $25-30 IIRC.

I can second the nervous feeling. My suspension sounds like a damned rain forest with all the chirps and squeaks.

MR.ZAP
11-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Same here :gigem:

breckboarder55
11-15-2010, 12:56 PM
As long as your bushings are completely crapped out, you have proper bumpstoped, and everything is properly torqued you have nothing to worry about. I don't know about yall, but I have a ton of grease zerks on my suspension, so greasing regularly too.

85cj7
11-15-2010, 06:00 PM
As long as your bushings are completely crapped out, you have proper bumpstoped, and everything is properly torqued you have nothing to worry about. I don't know about yall, but I have a ton of grease zerks on my suspension, so greasing regularly too.

You know what Ed would say about proper application of lube:flipoff2:

DRAGOONRANCH
11-15-2010, 10:44 PM
:laughing:

crdub09
11-16-2010, 01:47 AM
Just out of curiosity, what size shocks did you end up running on each end? Do you know the extended and collapsed lengths? Are you still running adapters?

I have JKS adapters in the front, didn't have to redrill the hole like they said to. The front ones are rears shocks meant for a 3" lift. Ones on the back are rears for a 4" lift. I can give you part numbers and shock length at sitting height tomorrow if you want them. I think I remember the 4"ers being ~21 inches extended - ~17 inches collapsed. It's a night and day difference in ride quality though, I like stiff shocks so that I can feel the road but also don't like to upset passengers with ****ty ride comfort. Wont buy any other shock again :gigem:

breckboarder55
11-16-2010, 07:44 AM
I have JKS adapters in the front, didn't have to redrill the hole like they said to. The front ones are rears shocks meant for a 3" lift. Ones on the back are rears for a 4" lift. I can give you part numbers and shock length at sitting height tomorrow if you want them. I think I remember the 4"ers being ~21 inches extended - ~17 inches collapsed. It's a night and day difference in ride quality though, I like stiff shocks so that I can feel the road but also don't like to upset passengers with ****ty ride comfort. Wont buy any other shock again :gigem:

I really doubt your shocks only have 4" of travel.
With the adapter you must not have have very much uptravel? How far have you extended your bump stops?
Google says
Fits 3" Lift - Rear
22.44" / 13.98"
Eye / Eye

Fits 4" Non Long Arm Lift - Rear
25.50" / 15.49"
Eye / Eye

DRAGOONRANCH
11-16-2010, 08:14 AM
With the adapter you must not have have very much uptravel? How far have you extended your bump stops?
Google says
Fits 3" Lift - Rear
22.44" / 13.98"
Eye / Eye

25.50" / 15.49"
Eye / Eye

Hell, you aint got **** for shocks unless you're schwinging 60"s of Big Black Cawk Shocks....

https://www.polyperformance.com/shop/images/D/d_5404-01.jpg

:flipoff2:

NealtheDestroyr
11-16-2010, 09:48 AM

Ive got somewhere around 13 zerks on mine. I get them lubed every time i get an oil change.

crdub09
11-17-2010, 01:30 AM
Google says
Fits 3" Lift - Rear
22.44" / 13.98"
Eye / Eye

25.50" / 15.49"
Eye / Eye

Yea hah I didn't really think that thru, I'll get out the measuring tape after my physics exam tomorrow.