PDA

View Full Version : Tires

Sterling
10-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Howdy... lookin to see if anyone has experience with the Interco Thornbird or SSR tires on a daily driver. I'm tryin to look ahead simply because I don't really know what I want. Any input or other suggestions are appreciated.

Sharpe
10-07-2010, 04:32 PM
If you get Thornturds you cant hang out with us anymore :flipoff2:

SSR's would okay on a DD. I had 36" TSL radials on my DD for a couple years and besides being noisy and not stopping on wet roads very well, they were great.

Fredo
10-07-2010, 05:49 PM
I live and die by the BFG All-Terrain, but I agree with Sharpe, don't get Thornbirds.

BroncoJo
10-07-2010, 06:01 PM
I'm also against thornbirds

RCcola55
10-07-2010, 06:13 PM
i compare thornbirds to whale wars, its awesome to watch a complete fail.

JB
10-07-2010, 06:55 PM
because of their street manners and they're supposed to be pretty decent offroad.

MR.ZAP
10-07-2010, 07:01 PM
I live and die by the BFG All-Terrain, but I agree with Sharpe, don't get Thornbirds.

KOs??? I know they're a good tire for a daily driver because of their street manners and they're supposed to be pretty decent off road but why's that your first choice just out of curiosity?

Howdy... lookin to see if anyone has experience with the Interco Thornbird or SSR tires on a daily driver. I'm tryin to look ahead simply because I don't really know what I want. Any input or other suggestions are appreciated.

Everyone in this club hates thornbirds, they are cheap for a reason. I have heard nothing but good stuff about the SSRs though, supposed to be a good DD tire, although they seem like they would wear relatively quickly. Check out offroaders.com, they have some good tire reviews on there. Also, ask Matt (nealthedestroyer) he's running SSRs on his wrangler. The first thing you need to do is find out what you need or want out of a tire. It makes things a lot easier when you start looking around.

MR.ZAP
10-07-2010, 07:04 PM
because of their street manners and they're supposed to be pretty decent offroad.

Yes but pretty decent doesn't cut it haha

TdmayfieldIV
10-07-2010, 08:41 PM
If you have thornbirds you will be forever know as the thornbirds guy

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx6/TdmayfieldIV/16869_281495547788_500767788_325394.jpg

Thornbirds guy FTW

stx4wheeler
10-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Check out the super swamper irok Radial. I have 37's on a bronco, I do not drive it everyday, but I have been super happy with them. They are the quietest smoothest riding swamper I have ever had, or ridden in. I've got about 1500-2000 miles on them and they still look like new.

What vehicle are you wanting to put them on? If you put alot of miles on it I would go with a bfg at or mt.

RCcola55
10-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Check out the super swamper irok Radial. I have 37's on a bronco, I do not drive it everyday, but I have been super happy with them. They are the quietest smoothest riding swamper I have ever had, or ridden in. I've got about 1500-2000 miles on them and they still look like new.

What vehicle are you wanting to put them on? If you put alot of miles on it I would go with a bfg at or mt.

2nd this, as well as the ssr, but for an all-terrain tires u cant beat the bfg

MR.ZAP
10-07-2010, 09:20 PM

This really surprises me, i thought that iroks wore like butter on the street? You learn somethin new every day haha :gigem:

stx4wheeler
10-07-2010, 09:24 PM
This really surprises me, i thought that iroks wore like butter on the street? You learn somethin new every day haha :gigem:

The bias ply iroks are alot softer than the radials.

MR.ZAP
10-07-2010, 09:26 PM
The bias ply iroks are alot softer than the radials.

Got ya, i was just about to ask that.

Sterling
10-07-2010, 10:28 PM
I'll be puttin 'em on my '97 Chevy K2500 truck. It's not a really heavy truck considerin it has the 350 vortec. I do a lot of highway driving, but am willing to sacrifice a little tread life for a decent look.

stx4wheeler
10-07-2010, 10:39 PM
http://tamor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9332&page=6

Throughout this page and the thread there are some pictures of the iroks, also for comparison during the first couple pages of the thread there are pictures of the truck on bfg all terrains, and goodyear mtr's.

RCcola55
10-07-2010, 11:25 PM
if its look you are after, nothing says douche like nittos

TdmayfieldIV
10-07-2010, 11:32 PM
:flipoff2:

MR.ZAP
10-07-2010, 11:48 PM
if its look you are after, nothing says douche like nittos

Hahaha however, I would definitely run a pair of the Trail Grappler M/Ts... They are supposed to be great trail tires.

I'll be puttin 'em on my '97 Chevy K2500 truck. It's not a really heavy truck considerin it has the 350 vortec. I do a lot of highway driving, but am willing to sacrifice a little tread life for a decent look.

Really and truly your options are as abundant as the day is long so you need to establish what you are wanting performance wise. For example, my Toyos are pretty decent rock tires, which I can attest to, they do really well. But they aren't very good in mud.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Toyo-Open-Country.htm

Whereas these Coopers, which have a very similar tread pattern, are the exact opposite but are comparable elsewhere.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Cooper-Discoverer-stt.htm

It really just comes down to how you need them to perform and how pricey you can get. I'll probably get knocked on for this, but I think the D/C Crushers are gnarly lookin :gigem:

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Dick-Cepek-Crusher.htm

JP has a more comprehensive but slightly less encompassing list...

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/wheels/154_0908_off_road_tire_performance_guide/index.html

Fredo
10-08-2010, 12:25 AM
KOs??? I know they're a good tire for a daily driver because of their street manners and they're supposed to be pretty decent off road but why's that your first choice just out of curiosity?

WHY NOT?

colman
10-08-2010, 01:13 AM
get a set of 37" humer radials

sam_hodnett
10-08-2010, 01:37 AM
Whereas these Coopers, which have a very similar tread pattern, are the exact opposite but are comparable elsewhere.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Cooper-Discoverer-stt.htm

I'll probably get knocked on for this, but I think the D/C Crushers are gnarly lookin :gigem:

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Dick-Cepek-Crusher.htm

The first is false, the Coopers are not very in mud, i have friends back home that have them

And those gay DC crushers tread looks like penises :flipoff2:

TdmayfieldIV
10-08-2010, 07:40 AM
more like veiny sack

MR.ZAP
10-08-2010, 10:10 AM
The first is false, the Coopers are not very in mud, i have friends back home that have them

And those gay DC crushers tread looks like penises :flipoff2:

I'm just going off the reviews, adam also said they were a good tire. Judging by the comments about male reproductive organs, you and tommy should go have a night of lust and passion at the halloween run and catch hepatitis or hiv with all the other rednecks! :flipoff2:

TdmayfieldIV
10-08-2010, 11:47 AM
lmfao *** ***z *** you are so right dude bro guy

MR.ZAP
10-08-2010, 11:53 AM

this reply makes me feel like I have been insulted by a retarded kid??? :confused2

colman
10-08-2010, 11:54 AM
wtf mate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZMwKPmsbWE

AggieTJ2007
10-08-2010, 12:12 PM
This thread makes me think of mexican food

MR.ZAP
10-08-2010, 01:12 PM
wtf mate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZMwKPmsbWE

Ahhhh MOTHERLAND!!!!!!!!!! :flipoff2:

Sharpe
10-08-2010, 01:42 PM

:laughing:

If you hadn't worn your shorts backwards this morning, that would have been the burn of the week...

sam_hodnett
10-08-2010, 02:17 PM
:laughing:

If you hadn't worn your shorts backwards this morning, that would have been the burn of the week...

:laughing: :gigem:

TxCruzr
10-09-2010, 03:52 AM
What are you using your truck for, is it just a DD that you want a good looking tire or does it see mud or rocks regularly?
Unless you're taking it off road on a regular basis I'd stick with bfg mt's. They cover your look cool requirement and do well on the street. They also hook up really well on the rocks and are decent in mud.
Unless you're playing in mud enough to justify a swamper, I don't think it'll be worth losing the street manners or treadlife of a more mild mt.

If you're that hung up on looks, then go with what Clarke said and get some low profile nittos on some ultra gaudy 24"s

DRAGOONRANCH
10-09-2010, 07:47 AM

This thread is full of win! It even has angry Fred in it. :D

This thread makes me think of mexican food

Hmmmmmmm, I was wondering what to do about lunch today. I think I know where to go now! :gigem:

Cut boggers FTW!!!!!!

MR.ZAP
10-09-2010, 10:39 PM
If you're that hung up on looks, then go with what Clarke said and get some low profile nittos on some ultra gaudy 24"s

But that's giggity gay :rainbow: I think what he means is a hardcore lookin M/T not donk chrome rims

85cj7
10-09-2010, 10:47 PM
public forum?

Fredo
10-10-2010, 12:49 AM
This thread is full of win! It even has angry Fred in it. :D

I wasn't trying to be angry. I was trying to make it a joke, like when Bluto snaps at Larry after he questions his Delta Tau Chi name of Pinto.

Why Pinto?
WHY NOT!?

(i tried to find a youtube clip of it, but didn't.)

85cj7
10-10-2010, 01:28 AM
I wasn't trying to be angry. I was trying to make it a joke, like when Bluto snaps at Larry after he questions his Delta Tau Chi name of Pinto.

Why Pinto?
WHY NOT!?

I love you Fred. Go to the 5:00min mark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlouKYnPBaE&feature=related

sam_hodnett
10-10-2010, 11:28 AM
I love you Fred. Go to the 5:00min mark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlouKYnPBaE&feature=related

good job there aussie,

This video contains content from NBC Universal, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
:flipoff2:

MR.ZAP
10-10-2010, 07:31 PM

Why Pinto?
WHY NOT!?

I knew you weren't being angry, my friend. Obviously nobody else understands... :confused:

Fredo
10-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Woah, woah, woah.....easy with the f word there newbie.

MR.ZAP
10-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Woah, woah, woah.....easy with the f word there newbie.

It's a saying, not a statement! :flipoff2:

A&M F-150
10-10-2010, 09:57 PM
look at BFG KM2's i got em now and theyre great offroad and pretty nice on road too. if not them then look at Mickey Thompson MTZ cuz theyre pretty badass too ***

96beast
10-10-2010, 10:09 PM
Have you looked at the goodyear duratracs? Sounds like those have what you are looking for.

A&M F-150
10-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Have you looked at the goodyear duratracs? Sounds like those have what you are looking for.

Id be careful about those. we had em on the trucks at work and we switched cuz they got punctured easily so we got mtr's with kevlar now. just saying they look nice but watch out

MR.ZAP
10-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Id be careful about those. we had em on the trucks at work and we switched cuz they got punctured easily so we got mtr's with kevlar now. just saying they look nice but watch out

Yeah if I'm going A/T it's gotta be KOs or Pro Comp XAT

TdmayfieldIV
10-11-2010, 09:03 PM
who made laughing out loud a cuss word?...........wtf

MR.ZAP
10-11-2010, 10:12 PM
who made laughing out loud a cuss word?...........wtf

:haha: Dude I have no clue, but that's funny right there

Seth
10-11-2010, 11:06 PM
I have a very similar truck to yours for work. I'm running nitto all terrains in 265 size and have been pretty happy with them. Looks like I will get 40k miles out of them (just under 20k on them now). I drive mostly in town, on unimproved surfaces (jobsites)regularly, have it in 4x4 at least a few times a month, and tow/haul almost daily (more haul, tow maybe once a week on avg). They are quiet, wear pretty smoothly on a truck nearing 300k, and hold a balance pretty well. I have put a few holes in the tread with screws and such, but no major sidewall damage or anything. They are more than able to get the truck into a mess it cant get out of. Go with something AT, save the looks for a trail rig or hot rod. just my .02

sam_hodnett
10-11-2010, 11:13 PM
I have a very similar truck to yours for work. I'm running nitto all terrains in 265 size and have been pretty happy with them. Looks like I will get 40k miles out of them (just under 20k on them now). I drive mostly in town, on unimproved surfaces (jobsites)regularly, have it in 4x4 at least a few times a month, and tow/haul almost daily (more haul, tow maybe once a week on avg). They are quiet, wear pretty smoothly on a truck nearing 300k, and hold a balance pretty well. I have put a few holes in the tread with screws and such, but no major sidewall damage or anything. They are more than able to get the truck into a mess it cant get out of. Go with something AT, save the looks for a trail rig or hot rod. just my .02

One of my friends back home had The terra grapplers on his 3/4 ton chevy, which he beat the hell out of, drove down gravel roads, and hauled heavy loads with all the time, they looked mean and he got 45k out of them

MR.ZAP
10-11-2010, 11:31 PM
One of my friends back home had The terra grapplers on his 3/4 ton chevy, which he beat the hell out of, drove down gravel roads, and hauled heavy loads with all the time, they looked mean and he got 45k out of them

Yeah I know a guy with a set on his JK and he digs em.

85cj7
10-11-2010, 11:43 PM
Yeah I know a guy with a set on his JK and he digs em.

well, i know a guy with a pocket knife:flipoff2:

colman
10-11-2010, 11:54 PM
i know a guy with an rv cam. it's sweet

DRAGOONRANCH
10-12-2010, 07:46 AM
well, i know a guy with a pocket knife:flipoff2:

You know jimmy's uncle too??? :flipoff2:

Sterling
10-20-2010, 07:05 PM
The whole looks thing with me is just b/c i hate 4X4 trucks that run strictly street tires. I've heard of the duratracs being unstable under heavy load... I would like to run either the old MT/Rs from goodyear or the new MT2 from BFG, but... idk if i can find the old mt/rs yet. Do yall know if they are still floating around at some shops?

MR.ZAP
10-20-2010, 07:13 PM
The whole looks thing with me is just b/c i hate 4X4 trucks that run strictly street tires. I've heard of the duratracs being unstable under heavy load... I would like to run either the old MT/Rs from goodyear or the new MT2 from BFG, but... idk if i can find the old mt/rs yet. Do yall know if they are still floating around at some shops?

KM2, not MT2. And I don't think there are any of the old style M/TRs left. Flem used to have them on Kunta Kinte and when one of em was shot he went lookin for another and ended up with a different kinda tire (with a similar tread pattern) to replace it with.

Sterling
10-20-2010, 07:51 PM
sorry 'bout that. Yes, the KM2... i knew what i meant... damn chem lab screwin with me. ***.

JB
10-20-2010, 08:47 PM
drop coin.....get BFG KM/2s

MR.ZAP
10-20-2010, 10:25 PM
sorry 'bout that. Yes, the KM2... i knew what i meant... damn chem lab screwin with me. ***.

Yes, I hate chemistry...

BroncoJo
10-20-2010, 11:37 PM

When I was pricing 35's for my truck KM2's were the cheapest of comparable mud-terrains.

BroncoJo
10-20-2010, 11:49 PM
Also check out the grabber's

http://www.tamor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11740

A&M F-150
10-21-2010, 10:36 AM

For the money, I think their the best tire out there honestly. I priced some all terrains at the same price for 35x12.5x17 ***

MR.ZAP
10-21-2010, 11:35 AM
I'll be getting some new ones sometime in the near future and I'm looking at either KM2s or Yokohama Geolandar M/Ts. I have heard that the new M/TRs have poor tread life as compared to the KM2s so they are out of the running. The Geo isn't a widely run tire but I have heard nothing but good stuff about it.

breckboarder55
10-21-2010, 11:43 AM
FWIW:

BFG A/Ts:
31"x10.50"x15"s
I'm not exactly sure how many miles I got out of them, as they were on the rig when I purchased it, but my guess-timation is about 75k (Worn completely baled)? Very quiet, and they kept balance well. They were pretty useless in remotely muddy situations in comparison with my other tires, but they impressed me for what they were. In the small amount of rocks I ever attempted with them, they had some side-wall flex, nothing crazy. I don't think the sidewalls were the strongest, since I managed to puncture one of them fairly easy. They are a great tire for the DD that gets the occasional off road trip.

Cooper STTs:
33"x12.50"x15"
I got about 60k out of my Cooper STT's. They were a huge upgrade as far as off-road capability from my previous BFG A/Ts. They self clean well, have nice aggressive side blocks. The side wall was a little stiff for my liking, but it still flexed. I imagine on a heavier rig this would not be an issue. When I wore them out and priced a new set, they seem to be much more expensive nowadays. If I went much more than 5k with out balancing/rotating them, I would start to feel wobbles. The blocks come with a small amount of siping, and do well in the wet.

BFG KM2s:
33"x12.50"x15"
So far, I only have about 5k out of them. I haven't seriously wheeled with them yet, but I aired them down to 8 psi and climbed around on some logs/rocks in the little ravine on the property I was living at last year. The side wall flex is exactly what I am looking for, I expect these to preform much better in the rocks than any of my previous tires. I have taken them in some mud, and they cleaned out well and performed just as good, if not better than my Coopers did. They have largely spaced aggressive tread blocks that continue into the sidewall. They seem to be louder than my Coopers were at this mileage, but so far seem to stay in balance better.

Sharpe
10-21-2010, 02:45 PM
Chinese tires smell funny.

breckboarder55
10-21-2010, 05:53 PM
Chinese tires smell funny.

like lead paint and tears from child workers?