PDA

View Full Version : Body Shop

LilToy
04-17-2002, 05:54 PM
Where is a good body shop around town thats cheap and does good work? I dont think pulling the dent out will work this time :( so any suggestions would be awsome. I dont really care where it is done as long as it looks good and can do it somewhat fast.

Chris

Rex
04-17-2002, 06:01 PM
Can you take off the door panel and push the dent out? I had to do this on my Cherokee, and its pretty easy and if you back it up, it should look good. :D

BigRedFord04
04-17-2002, 06:09 PM
Best body shop I know is in Austin, they gave the best estimate on fixing my truck (out of about 20 or so around town) when my dad hit some deer. Prolly where my g/f will get her car fixed after wrecking it last week. Its called Austin Motor Mile and is in south Austin.

LilToy
04-17-2002, 06:39 PM
Well i can take the door off but the problem is that the dent isnt in the middle of the door its right below the handle about half a foot. Its really not that big of a dent, but i will check it out and see if i can get to it, but i probably cant. See thats why i drive a freaggin jacked up truck, so that no one can back into me and if so i can bang it out. Hell i t-boned a drunk driver last year and im still kickin!

8Runner
04-17-2002, 08:26 PM
See your other post requesting a dent puller for an example, but I suggest Lance @ Creative Audio. He is on South College near Chicken Oil. He usually gives a discount to A&M off road folks too.

LilToy
04-17-2002, 10:10 PM
Thanks Chris for the info, i will definatly give him a try. Cuz really its not that bad of a dent, about 6 inches is the big one and the car is white so not difficult to match paint. So if he can bondo it :) and make it look nice then i am all over it.

8Runner
04-17-2002, 10:44 PM
No prob. Tell him where you heard about him, will ya?

Deal with lance only, if he is not there then ask when he will be and go back then. He is the owner and he is the only one that can deal.

dewhite
04-18-2002, 04:53 AM
Try city paint and body in bryan. They did some work on my friend's cobra. He said they did good quality work for cheap and they went out of thier way to help cause he was a student.

LilToy
04-19-2002, 11:15 AM
Scooters paint and body, do any of yall know about em? Its on S College in Bryan. Their estimate was 250 and all of the other places it was at least 550!! it was about 225 to pull the dent and the rest was to freaggin paint it. They said they had to paint the whole damn door and quarter panel. WTF? So this other guy said he would do it so im game for that.

Fredo
04-19-2002, 12:17 PM
Chris, let me let you in on a little secret. In the body work business, you get what you pay for. Yeah, that might sound like a good deal, but usually, if they are THAT much cheaper than everybody else, that's not generally a good thing. Now the deal with painting the whole door and quarter panel is this. The old days of "spot blending" a door are over. The proper way to fix a clearcoat/basecoat car are to fix the dent, prep the entire door with really fine sandpaper so that the area that has been repaired can be sprayed with the basecoat to "blend" the base, then the entire door is reclearcoated so that it is sealed again. The deal with the quater panel is usually most shops don't like "dead paneling" a panel. That means, they don't like putting paint on the side of a panel that is really close to another, as in this case, the quarter panel. By repainting the quarter, they can do much like they did on the door. Prep the whole thing, spray the basecoat dragging the new color slightly down the quarter so it matches, then reclearing the quarter. It's just the way they try to match the color better. Oh, and $550 is a decent price for that.

Graystroke
04-19-2002, 01:42 PM
are the dents really bad and sharp, paint missing? what about a paintless repair shop? is there a good one in town, anyone? we used a guy in Ft. worth for all of our damaged cars at autobahn motorcars. after he was done you couldn't see where the dent was. the kind of dent and where the dent is are the two factors if those guys are going to be able to ge tthe dent it out.

8Runner
04-19-2002, 03:34 PM
Talk to lance, tell him what you found at the other places. He will give you an honest opinion.

LilToy
04-19-2002, 06:02 PM
Well here is one of the quotes i was given, and why i dont think that 550 is right. Now the labor just to pull out the dent is around $225. And this really is not a big dent at ALL, no major creases and none of the paint is chipped off. But its in a bad place right below the door handle, so you cant take the panel off and bang it out. A slide hammer/dent puller is all you need to get it out, so simple enough. Then the paint LABOR is $194 for 5.4 hrs??? Really it will take half a day to paint it? This is what i dont get, everyone had all different hours to do the job, one has 5.4, 4.0, 3.0 and even 2.5. What the hell? And paint supples are $130 and that is charged by the hour for some reason. So a total of $561Now call me crazy but i can get a whole car painted for $350 at Maaco or something, so 2 panels for the same price doesnt seem reasonable. Hell speaking of Maaco, they also gave a $350 price to fix it, but they where going to blend in the paint. So of all places why would Maaco have a cheaper price then all the others? I mean isnt Maaco supposed to ream you in the *** for stuff like this? Seriously im all for taking responsibility for my actions and get it fixed because well i screwed up and wasnt paying attention. But **** a $600 screw-up is tough to swallow. I suppose i just dont see why the paint is so damn expensive.

bigmike51
04-19-2002, 06:49 PM
It depends with maaco, it's cheap because it isn't base/clear, they just do one coat. They can do base/clear, and it's still not as high as many other places...just make sure they were clear on what you were getting with that quote.

BMFScout
04-23-2002, 09:35 PM
no offense to Jason's "cherookee" but take a look at his yeller paint job if you want to see the kwality kustom work that macco or similar chain places do. They are not about getting it right, but getting it done, they just want the volume. if you you don't really care what it looks like, just want the dent gone go to macco, but if you want it done right find a small operation that gives a **** about how it will turn out and relies on word of mouth to get business. GOOD paint work is expensive, unless you know someone or work there, right Fred? I don't remember where old man mark took his burban to get it fixed but I think they did a good job for a fair price might want to email him and ask. mark@endoimage.com

LilToy
04-23-2002, 10:04 PM
Well a very good turn out to the dent problem. We took it to Scooters in Bryan ($250 quote) and the guy had it done in a few hours. And it looks damn good too. You cant even tell that there was a dent there and there are NO problems with the paint blend. But this also has to do with the fact that its a white car... But still it looks very good. But thanks all for the info on places, im glad it turned out for the better. I'll be sure to watch where the hell im going next time.....