PDA

View Full Version : Hanging heavy **** on a wall

Sharpe
11-29-2010, 12:43 AM
Since this can kind of apply to all the kids hanging truck parts on the wall I'm putting this here. My mom killed a cape buffalo a couple of years ago and the shoulder mount is finally done. This thing is large. It is designed to mount in a corner and weighs ~200 lbs. The house has normal ~9' ceilings with steel studs on 8" centers. Yes 8," it is a mother****ing hurricane-proof fortress. The mounting holes on the back of the mount are 11 1/4" from the corner on both sides. On the left side of the wall corner, the mounting hole is perfectly centered on a stud. Sweet. My plan is to take a ~1' long strip of 1 1/2" x 1/8" steel and weld a bolt head or some other retaining knob to one side, then use 4 or 5 stinger screws to fasten it vertically parallel to the stud. i.e. distribute the rediculously heavy load over several screws and a decent sized area to minimize drywall damage. On the right corner however, the mounting hole is located halfway between two studs. My plan is to make an "H" out of the same 1 1/2" x 1/8" steel as before, with each verticle portion of the H paralleling a stud. The mounting head will be located on the horizontal portion between the studs.

I know most of the home improvement types have left TAMOR but if yall see any problems with my plan, let me know.

KrazyKarl02
11-29-2010, 08:15 AM
I assume "stinger screws" are what you are supposed to use with metal studs? I do not have much experience with metal studs, but what you are saying sounds like it would work.

Sharpe
11-29-2010, 10:14 AM
Yah, I havent looked into what kind of fasteners you're supposed to use but stingers seem like they will work if there isnt something more officially designated.

bcolman
11-29-2010, 03:57 PM
sounds like it will work to me, but who knows for sure until you try it and see

Seth
11-29-2010, 09:32 PM
Sweet mount. I am sure that the big boxes would have something expensive you could use, but it sounds like you have something figured out. With that kind of structure in the walls you should be fine. Stingers are the only thing I am a little skeptical of, maybe a #14 self tapping tek screw?