PDA

View Full Version : TBI?? or not

Tariqui
12-10-2002, 07:55 PM
OK so i am fed up with carburator crap. Its time for some fuel injection. I am thinking Howell for my I-6 258 is this a good idea? has someone done it before? Is there something better that i can do instead? i dont want another carb. I need to know before i go and spend this money.

stinger7401
12-10-2002, 08:03 PM
I prefer TBI but for the straight six the eisiest thing to do is to just find a 4.0L and use the head or intake or however they do and just use that setup. If you do a search on POR or JEEPS UNLIMITED you should find more than enough info to get ya goin.

Jackasic
12-10-2002, 08:09 PM
Or convice Mark that he needs to sell his and move to V8 power;)

But if you are going to do a head swap, just buy the whole motor and wiring harness and swap it over. RJ and Mark were able to kludge one into Sparky. I finaly ran right be for he moved to Yankee land.

Tariqui
12-10-2002, 08:37 PM
go where and look nick are those websites?

robertf03
12-10-2002, 09:29 PM
i like the HO head and intake idea

step 1: get all the parts

step 2: leave them on the garage floor for an indefinite amount of time

step 3: not sure yet, but look at those intake ports. if that doesnt say performance I dont know what does

Fredo
12-10-2002, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Jackasic
RJ and Mark were able to kludge one into Sparky. It finaly ran right be for he moved to Yankee land.

Hmm....if I remember correctly, they made a harness from scratch that ended up looking pretty slick. Car Doc on Harvey printed out the wiring diagrams for them for free, so they were able to do it fairly easily. RJ made a crank trigger ignition system for it up at Lynntech, and there was nothing kludge about that...and it ran around college station all summer for ash with only one problem simply because it didn't have a speed sensor. I think it was pretty impressive to modify an OBDII system to run in an ol' CJ5. When was the last time you put a fuelie motor in something brandon? :D

eight
12-10-2002, 11:53 PM
If your getting a 4.0 for the parts, here's an idea. Stroker.

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/stroker40/index.asp

Jackasic
12-11-2002, 12:29 AM
They didn’t exactly make the harness from scratch, but pretty close. I think it was RJ’s aversion to spending the money on the harness that lead to that choice. Once again, Mark the Psychic Mechanic to the rescue.

Did RJ order a crank trigger in or did he use that one and copy it, couldn’t remember. That was pretty sweet thought. I also liked the one off pilot bearing.

But it was defiantly kluged, but I don’t mean that in a bad way. Kind of like that Johnny Cash song "got it one piece at a time and it didn't cost me a dime". All pieced together but way cool.

If someone was to buy the complete harness and motor, I bet it would not be to bad.

In the immortal words of Rob "if you have a motor, gauges, and an uncut harness; you can swap just about anything".

As for me, give me carburetion or give me death ... or something like that. I leave the pre-1980 fleet carbureted for now.

Tariqui
12-11-2002, 02:15 AM
well despite all the suggestions i decided that i didnt want to spend months finding stuff and months modifying until it works just to save a couple hundred bucks so i say go for it and yes the jeep God (good ole shipman) reaffirmed after hours of prayer thanks man :) nothing like spending 1100 with the click of a mouse baby

mark
12-11-2002, 07:51 AM
Before you flame Josh for spending that much money, that is a fair amount less than I threw at my 258 over the last 6 years.

Oh, and Brandon, if you consider the RJ 4.0 swap a kludge job, what must you think of that pile of monkey poo you've got at the Centex. No not the green one or the grey one or the blue one, I'm talking about the beat up rusted out, no door, no top, frozen bearing, smoking, dented, rolling dumptser of a deathtrap that you use to to tread lightly into any tree that is unlucky enough to end up behind or beside you. Huuuuh? :D

-Mark

Jackasic
12-11-2002, 08:46 AM
Josh, if that is all it is, go for it. You'll love the way it runs.

Mark was kind of a test mule for his, I am pretty sure that he spent quite a deal more than that. Plus a few year tinkering with it to get it "just right" - replacing fuel pumps, ignition pic-ups, going distributer-less, swamping it, replacing MAP, not having it start when the battery was "weak", ect. Basicly doing all the R&D for Electramotive. Well maybe it wasn't so trouble free:D

Mark how dare you, Thumper's feelings were hurt. I now have to go spend some quality time with her so she work for me again. :rolleyes:

mark
12-11-2002, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Jackasic
Josh, if that is all it is, go for it. You'll love the way it runs.

Mark was kind of a test mule for his, basicly doing all the R&D forElectramotive. Well maybe it was so trouble free:D

Troble free compared to that Carter devil contraption that it used to have.:mad:

-Mark :D Happy now.

eight
12-11-2002, 11:04 AM
Could just get a weber. Mine never gives any trouble and it likes angles. The low buck fix for the carter is to put on a ford motorcraft carb. Then you're up to normal carb performance. But the howell will be much better and the holley projection is cheaper but still not as good as the howell. There is a mopar mpi system that is supposed to be really good, but also really expensive.

Tariqui
12-11-2002, 12:10 PM
why get a cheap fix with another carb no more stone age for me im moving into the 21st century

mark
12-11-2002, 01:26 PM
The Howell is Chevy TBI stuff. That puts it in the 20.75 Century.:D

-Mark

davido
12-12-2002, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by mark
...what must you think of that pile of monkey poo you've got at the Centex.

He called the **** poo! :D ~dso

Tariqui
12-18-2002, 04:53 PM
ITS ALIVE!! so the ole beast is running TBI installed and good. just need to clean up the wiring and stuff. It was the good karma from mark and brandon being here during surgery. THANKS!

aggielr
12-18-2002, 04:56 PM
you get the O2 sensor put in?

redcagepatrol
12-19-2002, 07:58 AM
SWEET

Josh is going to Clayton!!

uglyota
12-25-2002, 11:15 PM
Any market for 4.0 High Output heads?
Howabout all the efi stuff including head? I know where to find some.
Always trying to make a buck (that's why my **** doesn't run)
Eric