PDA

View Full Version : can anyone make sense of this?

kevinseven_2010
02-03-2011, 09:50 PM
I have a 1982 Ford Bronco with the 300 cid carb inline 6.
The problem is beyond me because it won't start, but it's getting fuel, i just rebuilt the carb, replaced the sparkplugs, wires, cap, rotor, and coil, and I know it's getting air. When it turns over, it will turn and backfire 2-3 times per rotation, then continue to turn over, then backfire again, and so on. Any ideas on what I should look at next? I've been thinking about possibly a compression check

TexTJ209
02-03-2011, 10:02 PM
Check your timing.

kevinseven_2010
02-03-2011, 10:05 PM
could that be an issue if it was running and then, after I let a friend drive it one night, it didn't work the next day? Could he have busted the timing chain? just curious

KrazyKarl02
02-03-2011, 10:29 PM
It is pretty unlikely you have a busted timing chain, a ford will get some slack in it, but very very seldom do they break.

When you say back fire, does it actually shoot a flame up thru the carb? How many miles are on the motor?

So it was running, your buddy borrowed it, and now it will not run? Have you tried starting fluid? Sometimes a flooded (with fuel) vehicle is hard to start.

DRAGOONRANCH
02-03-2011, 10:49 PM
My money is on the plug wires not being in the right order, or the dizzy is out time.

AggieTJ2007
02-03-2011, 10:52 PM
My money is on the plug wires not being in the right order, or the dizzy is out time.

i would go with this one, its not to hard to mess up a few plug wires and then it doesn't want to start

or if you are Rowdy mess all of them up

Fredo
02-04-2011, 12:28 AM
could that be an issue if it was running and then, after I let a friend drive it one night, it didn't work the next day? Could he have busted the timing chain? just curious

So it was running, your buddy borrowed it, and now it will not run? Have you tried starting fluid? Sometimes a flooded (with fuel) vehicle is hard to start.

So it was running, and your buddy borrowed it, and now it won't run? Have you tried kicking said friend in the testicles?

Sharpe
02-04-2011, 08:56 AM

Your friend isn't named Brian Colman is he?

Ah Fred, always the voice of reason :gigem:

DRAGOONRANCH
02-04-2011, 10:39 AM
I highly doubt it was Brian that drove it Sharpe, had it been him, the truck would be headed to the scrap yard already. I swear, that boy could fork up a ball bearing with a rubber mallet....

85cj7
02-04-2011, 03:12 PM
I highly doubt it was Brian that drove it Sharpe, had it been him, the truck would be headed to the scrap yard already. I swear, that boy could fork up a ball bearing with a rubber mallet....

didn't rowdy actually do that?:flipoff2:

Hot Pocket
02-07-2011, 12:14 AM
v8 swap

Shaggy
02-07-2011, 12:33 PM
I have A beady 351m taking up space in my garage if you go that route