PDA

View Full Version : Regeaing a dana 35

crdub09
05-18-2011, 08:46 PM
So I am torn between two different routes for my jeep. I will not be wheeling my jeep except to and from trails until I have a secondary vehicle to rely on as a daily driver. Having to rebuild my engine due to a bad engine overheat causing two piston rings and my head gasket to rupture has taught me how valuable a car is when its your daily driver.

That being said, I need to regear my rear axle... soon. I currently have a dana 35 as my rear and am running 33" tires. It has stock 4.11 gearing and needs 4.88 (4.56 if I6) gearing to be back to stock ratio. The two options I have are to just regear my dana 35 or find a dana 44/ford 8.8/9in and regear that to my liking.

Since money is a really big issue right now I am leaning more towards just regearing my dana 35 and being done with it for the time being. How bad or good of an idea is this? Keep in mind that I am only running 33" tires on (now stock) 0"s of lift, and will not be going offroad much, if at all.

Thoughts, concers, opinions..?

AggieTJ2007
05-18-2011, 08:55 PM
So I am torn between two different routes for my jeep. I will not be wheeling my jeep except to and from trails until I have a secondary vehicle to rely on as a daily driver. Having to rebuild my engine due to a bad engine overheat causing two piston rings and my head gasket to rupture has taught me how valuable a car is when its your daily driver.

That being said, I need to regear my rear axle... soon. I currently have a dana 35 as my rear and am running 33" tires. It has stock 4.11 gearing and needs 4.88 (4.56 if I6) gearing to be back to stock ratio. The two options I have are to just regear my dana 35 or find a dana 44/ford 8.8/9in and regear that to my liking.

Since money is a really big issue right now I am leaning more towards just regearing my dana 35 and being done with it for the time being. How bad or good of an idea is this? Keep in mind that I am only running 33" tires on (now stock) 0"s of lift, and will not be going offroad much, if at all.

Thoughts, concers, opinions..?

Where are you experiencing the power problem. I wouldn't spend any money on a dana 35. If you power problem is on the highway just run the RPMs up and don't use overdrive

crdub09
05-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Where are you experiencing the power problem. I wouldn't spend any money on a dana 35. If you power problem is on the highway just run the RPMs up and don't use overdrive

Just crawling up my driveway in 1st gear is quite the feat with my gearing the way it is. On the highway I usually stay in 4th gear, switching to 3rd to pass.. only in extreme cases.

85cj7
05-18-2011, 09:14 PM
You never mentioned anything about re-gearing your front. Do you realize that both ratios have to match in order to use 4wd? You can (if your in a real money pickle) just regear the rear and keep the front as is but you would have to remove your front d-shaft, leaving you only with 2wd. I see people selling 8.8s all the time. I would try to find one that already has your 4.88s (and prob. a limited slip or other locker) and just bolt that in. Then spend the money you saved on re-gearing the front to match. Just my two cents.

This rear is welded so not exactly perfect but this is not that much more than re-gearing both your axles would cost you. http://lsjc.org/board/showthread.php?t=52406&highlight=8.8

TdmayfieldIV
05-18-2011, 09:21 PM
You want to trade for 31"s?

TexTJ209
05-18-2011, 09:36 PM
I had 3.07s, 33s and a 3 speeed auto. Quit cryin. And don't waste money on a 35.

crdub09
05-18-2011, 09:42 PM
You never mentioned anything about re-gearing your front. Do you realize that both ratios have to match in order to use 4wd? You can (if your in a real money pickle) just regear the rear and keep the front as is but you would have to remove your front d-shaft, leaving you only with 2wd. I see people selling 8.8s all the time. I would try to find one that already has your 4.88s (and prob. a limited slip or other locker) and just bolt that in. Then spend the money you saved on re-gearing the front to match. Just my two cents.

This rear is welded so not exactly perfect but this is not that much more than re-gearing both your axles would cost you. http://lsjc.org/board/showthread.php?t=52406&highlight=8.8

I agree with you in finding a 8.8 or 9inch, its just that Ive been searching all last semester for one, craigslist, ebay, going to junkyards and whatnot, haven't been able to find one worth fixing up without spending more than I can afford or it'll be out of state. Also... I'm trying to keep both front and rear under $1000. I know thats quite a low ceiling, but I know its possible, especially when buying a used ford assembly.

As far as the front-- I was planning on just removing the front driveshaft just in case, and ill have it in 4x4 so the front ds yoke isnt just floating around. I'd wait a bit longer until I've saved enough for the front gears.

You want to trade for 31"s?

Hrrrmmm no..? Haha first thing I did when I bought this jeep was buy brand new goodyear MT/R 33x12.50's

crdub09
05-18-2011, 09:45 PM
I had 3.07s, 33s and a 3 speeed auto. Quit cryin. And don't waste money on a 35.

Cool story bro. See I'm doing something about the problem instead of just taking it like a punk :flipoff2:

85cj7
05-18-2011, 09:47 PM
If my math is right then you should be right at 3K RPMS when not in overdrive while at 70mph. That seems about right for a 4 cylinder. Overdrive would drop you down to about 2200. Sound about right?

85cj7
05-18-2011, 09:51 PM
Well you want to keep it under $1000.
Break down. . .
front:
gears-$150
set-up kit-$150
install-$200 (if taken out of vehicle and stripped down) -$350 as is

rear:
same deal

So. . . total=$1000-$1300 for exactly what you have now plus some gearing.
That link I provided should be looking better and better by the moment.

KrazyKarl02
05-18-2011, 09:55 PM
My advice, do not waste your money on gears for a 35. Add up the cost of the just the gears, plus you have to buy install kits, plus you have to pay someone to install the gears, that shat adds up!!!

Take your time, you can find a set of axles (dana 44 and 9") with decent gears if you wait.

My final point would be 33" tires and 4.11 gears is really not that bad. I know have a lot more tire and less gear.

crdub09
05-18-2011, 10:00 PM
If my math is right then you should be right at 3K RPMS when not in overdrive while at 70mph. That seems about right for a 4 cylinder. Overdrive would drop you down to about 2200. Sound about right?

Yea that's almost exact. At that speed and with 120bhp 3K rpm is barely enough to accelerate on a 0 degree grade. I only shift into overdrive when I'm torquing the bolt on my crankshaft :gigem:

Well you want to keep it under $1000.
Break down. . .
front:
gears-$150
set-up kit-$150
install-$200 (if taken out of vehicle and stripped down) -$350 as is

rear:
same deal

So. . . total=$1000-$1300 for exactly what you have now minus gearing.
That link I provided should be looking better and better by the moment.

Very true... I was going to do the install myself, with a master kit in the rear, so just the rear would total $300 + oil. Front could be slightly cheaper if I decided to get new bearings or not, but ill worry about the front later down the road.

How did you find that offer, btw?

crdub09
05-18-2011, 10:15 PM
My advice, do not waste your money on gears for a 35. Add up the cost of the just the gears, plus you have to buy install kits, plus you have to pay someone to install the gears, that shat adds up!!!

Take your time, you can find a set of axles (dana 44 and 9") with decent gears if you wait.

Honestly, I think this is what I will be doing. Bracketry is the main problem with this route though. I have absolutely no welding skill and am pretty OCD about precision, so I'd want to make sure the brackets are perfect.

My final point would be 33" tires and 4.11 gears is really not that bad. I know have a lot more tire and less gear.

I know it's not that bad, but I've been running this gearing for awhile and am getting "dog" tired of it ***. After regearing my old I6 jeep from 3.73 to 4.56 when going up to 34" tires, I almost shat myself I was so surprised of the new torque

85cj7
05-18-2011, 10:16 PM
You mean that d-30/8.8 combo?
I check LSJC from time to time and know that those guys deal in tj/kj way more than anything else, I just searched their 'for sale' thread. I'm pretty sure registration on their site is free and immediate. You should sign and and start checking them out regularly. Most of those guys are centered around Dallas, so it's not a bad drive.

bcolman
05-18-2011, 11:08 PM
bracketry should not be a problem with this club, just see if you can do it over a weekend at the dowling garage, i am sure for some beer it can be done, and exact is relative since almost everything has some adjustments built in

TexTJ209
05-18-2011, 11:21 PM
Cool story bro. See I'm doing something about the problem instead of just taking it like a punk :flipoff2:

I sold it and bought something with a V8. :flipoff2:

And then sold that and bought something with another V8.

And then sold that and got a Duramax. :gigem:

crdub09
05-19-2011, 05:06 AM
bracketry should not be a problem with this club, just see if you can do it over a weekend at the dowling garage, i am sure for some beer it can be done, and exact is relative since almost everything has some adjustments built in

Yea, that'd be awesome if I could get some help with it. Can I just use the bracketry off of my dana 35 or do I have to spend the coin on new brackets?

85cj7
05-19-2011, 09:28 AM
Just get a swap kit through one of the many vendors. It will be far easier and much less hassle. Plus you know they are perfect.
http://www.mountainoffroad.com/_e/dept/46-001-002/Ford_8_8_rear_axle_Install_Kit.htm
http://www.atozfabrication.com/store/Jeep-97-06-TJ-Wrangler-Rear-Axle-Bracket-Kit.html

colman
05-19-2011, 10:33 AM
the d35 is a c clip turd. if your worried about bracketry look for a bolt in d44 rear. there around. they came in the jeeps with the towing package.

Sharpe
05-19-2011, 10:54 AM
Used gears: $22

Make sure you check the ratio

BroncoJo
05-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Is that bracket kit really worth $350?

From car-part.com, not sure if it is the whole axle or what kind of locker but it's in Austin.

breckboarder55
06-03-2011, 12:41 PM
You need 4.88s.

I'm putting 4.88s in my Jeep and its a 3 speed non-over-drive.

crdub09
06-17-2011, 11:49 PM
I just bought a brand new rear Rubicon Dana 44 housing and diff cover, master install and overhaul kit, used open carrier, 5.13 R&P, and a SA&G Evolution axle shaft kit.

I'm trying to think of every other part that I need to put this axle together but I can?t find a part explosion or list anywhere for what parts are in a complete assembly. Does anyone have a service manual diagram or know of a link to something that might be helpful without paying?

Also, before I paint and install this bad boy, I want to rotate the spring perches about 15 degrees or so, so that my rear coils are flush on the top and bottom instead of bending over like they have been, with my CV-DS adjusted pinion angle.

I'm in the process of finding weld on coil perches but I'll need someone who is really good and precise with welding and obviously has a welder, to weld them up for me (preferably in college station). Compensation for said service will be great! :beer:

85cj7
06-18-2011, 12:45 AM
You didn't mention anything about brakes or drive-shaft yoke/drive-shaft fitment concerns.
http://www.quadratec.com/jeep-replacement-parts/jeep-axles-differentials/tj-dana-44-rear.php
If your just looking for buckets then here they are. . . http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/COIL_CEN.html

crdub09
06-18-2011, 01:32 AM
You didn't mention anything about brakes or drive-shaft yoke/drive-shaft fitment concerns.
http://www.quadratec.com/jeep-replacement-parts/jeep-axles-differentials/tj-dana-44-rear.php
If your just looking for buckets then here they are. . . http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/COIL_CEN.html

I'm not sure what I'm doing with brakes as of now. Ive been reading into how to mount my old d35 drums so unless I can scrap together some cash for disc brakes, Ill just do that for now.

I forgot to mention that I bought a u-bolt locking pinion yoke which fits my ujoint size in my cv.

I actually used that quadratec part explosion as a basis for finding all of the parts that I have now, but I wasnt sure if they are leaving anything out.

Thanks for that link to those coil perches! I should grab some of those retainers on the site as well too.

BroncoJo
06-18-2011, 09:17 AM
Dowling can get the perches welded, who's doing the gears?

crdub09
06-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Dowling can get the perches welded, who's doing the gears?

Dowling? I was going to set the gears myself. I figure while I wait for the backordered shafts to come in, I can learn how to do it.

sam_hodnett
06-18-2011, 01:40 PM
Dowling Fab, the same place that put in your Aussie

breckboarder55
06-22-2011, 01:23 PM
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but the D44 is about an inch longer and has a different yoke. You'll need a sye, drive shaft, and adjustable control arms.

There are a couple decent write ups on Jeep Forums for the spring bucket relocation.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/outboarding-rear-shocks-upper-spring-bucket-relocation-929056/

crdub09
06-22-2011, 01:33 PM
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but the D44 is about an inch longer and has a different yoke. You'll need a sye, drive shaft, and adjustable control arms.

There are a couple decent write ups on Jeep Forums for the spring bucket relocation.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/outboarding-rear-shocks-upper-spring-bucket-relocation-929056/

Ive already got an sye with a woody shaft, plus adjustable control arms and a new yoke, so that wont be a problem. I'm currently wrestling with making a dana 44 carrier fit into a rubicon d44 differential.

As for the spring buckets, I grinded off the stock buckets last night and am looking for perferably bolt on solutions for new coil buckets but I'm not getting any luck with a TJ coil setup.

Btw-- did you get my message about selling me the left knuckle on your old dana 30?

Sharpe
06-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Bolt on coil buckets sound gayer than Hot Pocket

crdub09
06-22-2011, 02:14 PM

Them is fightin words...

I had planned on messing around with different angles for awhile then tack welding them in place, buuuut.. I can't find any for a TJ so looks like I'm going the tab weld way

85cj7
06-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Them is fightin words...

I had planned on messing around with different angles for awhile then tack welding them in place, buuuut.. I can't find any for a TJ so looks like I'm going the tab weld way

Not so fast. . .
I send you a solution from the land down under. . . http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/showthread.php?1684-Hunty-s-Jeep-JK-Extreme&p=22729&viewfull=1#post22729
Not sure if you can still get them or not but it is worth a try.

breckboarder55
06-22-2011, 06:32 PM
Ive already got an sye with a woody shaft, plus adjustable control arms and a new yoke, so that wont be a problem. I'm currently wrestling with making a dana 44 carrier fit into a rubicon d44 differential.

As for the spring buckets, I grinded off the stock buckets last night and am looking for perferably bolt on solutions for new coil buckets but I'm not getting any luck with a TJ coil setup.

Btw-- did you get my message about selling me the left knuckle on your old dana 30?

Yeah, I messaged you back.

Bolt on spring perches:
https://secure.aev-conversions.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NTH23030AA

You should really use weld on buckets IMO.

crdub09
06-22-2011, 06:34 PM
Not so fast. . .
I send you a solution from the land down under. . . http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/showthread.php?1684-Hunty-s-Jeep-JK-Extreme&p=22729&viewfull=1#post22729

Yea those were what I was hoping to buy until I foun out they are only made for JKs... Thing that's holding me back from ordering them is that the JK bracketry is quite different than a TJ and I'm not sure how the u bolts will fit around the control arm mounts n such and they cost $160... But I think that's where I'm headed.

sam_hodnett
06-22-2011, 07:38 PM
where do you live? surely you can find someone somewhere close that could weld on the buckets for you...

crdub09
06-22-2011, 08:31 PM
where do you live? surely you can find someone somewhere close that could weld on the buckets for you...

Haha well I'm in college station but that's not really it, it's more that I don't know the exact angle it needs to be and won't until it's under the jeep. Plus I don't really know anyone that I know for sure can weld perfectly and I wouldn't want to put them in that position if the messed up somehow.

I'll probably be buying a nice welder in the next year and learn how to use it the best I can but that's a ways away ***.

So I've been looking into the differences between JK springs and TJ springs and it looks like with a little fab work I'll be able to make those JK bolt-ons work.

Also, does anyone have any Dana 44 carrier shims?

BroncoJo
06-22-2011, 08:42 PM

I've already offered once

Sharpe
06-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Not so fast. . .

Kiester them for him.

crdub09
06-23-2011, 12:25 AM
I've already offered once

Yea I know, I appreciate it! I was planning on bringing my rear bumper over sometime when school calms down so that we can fix the brackets. And whenever I get the tire carrier parts from Tate..

But with the axle, I've put a lot of money and effort into it and I don't want someone else liable for any problems I might have with it, plus I want to learn how to do everything myself, ya know?

sam_hodnett
06-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Here, take it over to travis's house, and tack the buckets in place where you want them, then load the axle up in a truck and bring it to paris, My dad owns a welding shop and i have worked there since I was 15. You can trust my welds and I will even teach you how to weld while you are here.

tommy53002
06-23-2011, 12:49 PM

This. I don't know HP but you get the point.

Hot Pocket
06-23-2011, 03:37 PM
This. I don't know HP but you get the point.

Sharpe's girlfriend
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1255/244/21/8343408/n8343408_51198798_1171.jpg

My girlfriend
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/37375_418771202146_604777146_4540801_4140457_n.jpg

Yeah I could see how you'd think I'm the gay one. :rolleyes:

KrazyKarl02
06-23-2011, 04:40 PM
My girlfriend
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/37375_418771202146_604777146_4540801_4140457_n.jpg

So is she full post op? Or does she just put on make up and roll and tuck up the little guy?

Hot Pocket
06-23-2011, 04:45 PM
So is she full post op? Or does she just put on make up and roll and tuck up the little guy?

Sounds like you're speakin from experience there Karl :flipoff2:

BroncoJo
06-23-2011, 05:51 PM
Here, take it over to travis's house, and tack the buckets in place where you want them, then load the axle up in a truck and bring it to paris, My dad owns a welding shop and i have worked there since I was 15. You can trust my welds and I will even teach you how to weld while you are here.

oh ya well I've been welding since I was 8 and my dad could beat up your dad :flipoff2:

I highly recommend Sam's work but I'm not going to tack on coil buckets so you can drive or trailer your jeep to Paris though and if you're wanting to learn to weld it should probably be on your bumper.

also the coil bucket top/shocks mounts on the Dodge are welded in...

85cj7
06-23-2011, 06:21 PM

So you've been welding for about 2 yrs then Sam?:flipoff2:

sam_hodnett
06-23-2011, 07:16 PM
**** you seacrest :flipoff2:

KrazyKarl02
06-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Sounds like you're speakin from experience there Karl :flipoff2:

So your girlfriend does have a penis?

TdmayfieldIV
06-23-2011, 11:51 PM

Yeah but it only weights 2x what the jeep does.

Hot Pocket
06-24-2011, 12:59 AM
So your girlfriend does have a penis?

C'mon Karl, that's the best ya got? I was expecting something funny. The post-op was good, but this is just downright lazy. For shame.

Sharpe
06-24-2011, 07:40 AM
Having a decent looking girlfriend (who may or may not have a dong) and knowing what dick tastes like are not mutually exclusive.

TexTJ209
06-24-2011, 08:11 AM
Having a decent looking girlfriend (who may or may not have a dong) and knowing what dick tastes like are not mutually exclusive.

Yes, and actually parading her around saying I'M DATING HER SO I'M TOTALLY NOT GAY, makes it even more suspicious. Almost like you're trying way hard to cover up the gayness.

85cj7
06-24-2011, 08:23 AM
I love where this newbie thread is going!

(and mods please move this to the kitchen (or subsequently delete everything pertaining to a certain members sexual orientation)).

Thanks and GIG' EM!

TexTJ209
06-24-2011, 08:36 AM

(and mods please move this to the kitchen (or subsequently delete everything pertaining to a certain members sexual orientation)).

Thanks and GIG' EM!

Speaking of people with questionable sexual orientation..

85cj7
06-24-2011, 08:44 AM
Speaking of people with questionable sexual orientation..

Haha.

Have I ever met you douche bag?

FJAggie07
06-24-2011, 08:50 AM

Thanks and GIG' EM!

You aren't a mod Nazi anymore so keep your bull**** out of this here golden opportunity to degrade Hot Pocket even more.

TexTJ209
06-24-2011, 09:13 AM
Haha.

Have I ever met you douche bag?

Yup.

crdub09
07-26-2011, 04:06 AM
oh ya well I've been welding since I was 8 and my dad could beat up your dad :flipoff2:

I highly recommend Sam's work but I'm not going to tack on coil buckets so you can drive or trailer your jeep to Paris though and if you're wanting to learn to weld it should probably be on your bumper.

I've finally ordered some weld on coil buckets and have J&K doing my gears. Before he does the gears though I want to get these buckets welded on nicely. Is dowling still open for business? How will we find the right measurements to weld these in place?

RCcola55
07-26-2011, 07:28 AM
Speaking of sexuality, if you want a deal on those gears being set, just show Jay a little skin.