PDA

View Full Version : Just my luck

Shaggy
12-13-2002, 02:45 PM
I think I am the only person in the world with bad enough luck to break an axle on a 9" going about 5 miles an hour on the street... it snapped right at the tire... clean break... wasn't even making any noise... just randomly happened... any ideas why this could have happened?

Broncocustom
12-13-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Shaggy
any ideas why this could have happened?

What else would you expect from a FORD!!!!!

What does the broken shaft look like? When looking at the break is it clean or does it look like it might have already been cracked. You might have stressed the shaft along time ago but it did not brake.

robertf03
12-13-2002, 04:27 PM
Its from living with Dave ;)
didnt the 4 runner do the same

Shaggy
12-13-2002, 05:09 PM
it is a clean break... a little rough barely on one side but the other 90% completely smooth

BigRedFord04
12-13-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by robertf03
didnt the 4 runner do the same
i cant vouch for that but steve's 8.8 had a similar fate...:rolleyes:

stinger7401
12-13-2002, 07:58 PM
Friday the 13th: enough said.

fbronco86
12-15-2002, 12:13 AM
I have a question. Was the metal collar that holds the bearing on welded in place. some people weld them to keep them from sliding off. The weld could weaken the shaft.

I have a 9 inch forsale detroit locker and 3.55 gears all new insides

Tariqui
12-15-2002, 12:40 AM
you cant win with that thing!! just buy a jeep :)

Shaggy
12-17-2002, 01:00 AM
well i got it pulled apart now... i need a new passenger side shaft... well they are the same length so i dont guess the side matters... i just pulled the other side but havent looked at it since it is dark and i cant see crap... i am using this as an opportunity to put in my new 3rd member... it is gonna be just swell to have that done... if anyone has a spare axle shaft for a ford 9" 31spline laying around let me know... if not who wants to go look for one with me... i am not a pro junkyard person myself and would probably waist my time looking... all for now

Shaggy
12-17-2002, 06:29 PM
well i got my new 3rd member on and the side that wasn't broken back on... the only thing i lack is what broke... the axle shaft... i guess ill try to find one tomorrow... i am also gonna go get a front driveshaft built tomorrow because the one i pulled off was crapped out... i have all the crap for the front diff in 2 a box in my closet not put together yet... i dont know how to do it and dont trust myself to do it(it is all brcnd new)... if anyone knows how to put one together really well let me know and we could talk about getting it together maby... if not where can i get it built for relatively cheep... i already dropped 1500 bones on this crap dont really wanna blow too much more

bburris
12-17-2002, 07:06 PM
What time are you looking to hit the junkyard tomorrow? I may be able to go help or at least point you in the right direction...

Shaggy
12-18-2002, 12:01 PM
i think i am about to go look around... give me a call 254.722.4549

Shaggy
12-18-2002, 02:47 PM
didn't find anything yet... i am gonna check in the junkyard in waco when i get home later today
:flipoff2: --just wanted to do that...heh:flipoff2:

JB
12-18-2002, 03:03 PM
well if you desparatly need a another shaft, I have two that I are in my garage that I will not be usng for a while if you need one temporarely. Let me know.

can u tell by my spelling/grammer that finals are over?:D

Shaggy
12-18-2002, 11:34 PM
I found one here in Waco... it was out of a 78... looks to be good enough... a little rusty but it will clean up well

Shaggy
01-17-2003, 11:23 AM
does anyone know of a good axle shop around BCS... i guess i am gonna go ahead and stick my gears and locker in the ttb for next weekend... i really wanna go to mason and dont have time to do the sas... let me know directions too... i really need to do it today because of work/class... thanks

robertf03
01-17-2003, 12:08 PM
is there anywhere else besides J&P?

go up 6, take a right on 21, its across from the trailer place and mack bolt and steel, next door to east 21 junkyard.

Shaggy
01-17-2003, 03:24 PM
ok well i went over there to have them press a berring for the 9" axle shaft and they told me the one i picked up at a junkyard was trash... i have another one that might work... ill just have to take it there and see... he told me to take only the pumpkin' up there for the ttb because if they had to take it off themselves it would be hella labor... so i started pulling it off and cant seem to figure out how to get it out... it is loose and the only thing holding it in is the axle shafts but im not sure how to take them loose... do i have to take the break and all that crap off?... if anyone wants to help me call my cell... thanks

JB
01-17-2003, 04:26 PM
i pulled both shafts in order to get mine out. It sucks, but you wwill probably have toi do it. I f you still need help, I will be back in town on Sunday

Shaggy
01-17-2003, 06:00 PM
sweet... give me a call sunday if you wanna help on it

Shaggy
01-27-2003, 03:26 PM
ok... today i ordered a pair of yukon shafts for the 9" from randy's... these mofo's are pretty beefy... so once in a couple of days when they show up..it may be back alive:D :D

robertf03
01-29-2003, 10:36 PM
http://www.jeepn.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12275

:flipoff2:

Shaggy
02-05-2003, 07:35 PM
well today i got the front put all back together... the only thing it lacks is gear oil... my axle shafts for the 9" came in today so i took them to get the beerings pressed on but my dumbass didnt realize that the retainer plates that i had put on there were the wrong ones so i gotta fix that tomorrow... or i could just drill out a hole... oh and when i was putting my front diff back in i torqued one of the bolts down too much and snapped the head off... you thing i should drill it out and put in a new one or just say **** it and leave it alone

stinger7401
02-05-2003, 07:45 PM
I'v tried to drill out those diff bolts before and they're next to impossible to do. Just put a lot of RTV around the hole and **** it.

Shaggy
02-12-2003, 02:43 PM
i finally got the biznatch back together today... since my suburban pooped out on me i had no choice but to skip all my classes today and put it together... the only bad part is that it only took me about 20 min of driving it to get my first ticket in it... damn the man... i'm on defered adjudification right now too... well forget about that my baby is back:D

Shaggy
02-12-2003, 03:07 PM
oh yeah and i need to break in the front gears too but dont have a front driveshaft right now... will locking the hubs work?

BigRedFord04
02-12-2003, 03:13 PM
yes, locking the hubs is fine

Fredo
02-12-2003, 03:50 PM
no, that won't work to properly break in the gears. You will be working the coast side a lot harder than the load side and it'll make a shallower pattern than if you were actually applying torque from the driveshaft. Just wait until you get a driveshaft in there.

redcagepatrol
02-12-2003, 05:27 PM
drive in reverse with the hubs locked in. That will work:D