PDA

View Full Version : C-6 no 3rd gear

stx4wheeler
05-30-2011, 05:50 PM
Alright, the trans in the blue bronco is having some issues.

So I haven't been driving the bronco much lately just because I have been to busy, but about a month ago I jumped in to go to Galveston and the trans wouldn't go into third. Since then I have messed with some with not much success. I think Otis very odd that it essentially crapped out from sitting. There was really no sign of it having problems last summer when I was driving it alot.

What it's doing sometimes I can get it to go into third by manually shifting it from 1/2 then 2/drive(3). While running the rpms up in 1/2 before I shift. If I do it just cruising it won't go into third.

The shift from 1st to 2nd feels a little soft as well when you put the trans in drive and take off. After running it for prolly 15 minutes or so trying to figure it out the trans smells a little hot,but it is not puking fluid or anything.

Additionally, when I have finally gotten it I'm to third and i romp on it it attempts to drop down into second for passing, but does not always do this as it is supposed to do.

Things I have checked:
Fluid level
Smelled the fluid it doesn't smell burnt
Made sure it wasn't in 4x4

The only thing I need to check is any piece of rubber hose that might be for the trans vacuum.

Any thoughts from you all before I start pulling the trans? I could drop the pan and look for shavings, but I'm not that excited about doing that when it seems that the trans is already toast.

Sparling
05-30-2011, 06:17 PM
Possibly a sticking valve. I would pull the pan and make sure the filter isn't trashed, then pull the valve body and take it apart and clean it really well. You could also toss on a valve body from a good c6 and see what it does. If it's been sitting and just started this then my money is on a stuck or dirty valve.

Also, not sure if it's the right one but I think Tommy still has an extra c6

stx4wheeler
05-30-2011, 07:12 PM
Yeah the interweb says vacuum modulator or vacuum hose problems. Parts Stores don't have any in stock right now so I cant replace the modulator. People say that if the modulator is bad there should be ATF in the vacuum line and mine doesn't have that problem. I've got one or two more vacuum lines to replace before the pan comes off.

Yeah I'm trading Tommy my superduty wheels for the trans, but I would rather not swap trans if it is something fairly simple.

TdmayfieldIV
05-30-2011, 08:58 PM
When my vacuum hose came loose it would just rev really high before it shifted, it would still go into third.

JB
05-30-2011, 09:16 PM
So Tate, me, Tommy, and now Frick.....That C6 is getting around!

Shaggy
05-30-2011, 09:35 PM
Little whore.

TdmayfieldIV
05-30-2011, 09:57 PM
I heard she's a tranny too

Shaggy
05-30-2011, 10:08 PM
And I Paid to have her "built" in the first place

DRAGOONRANCH
05-30-2011, 10:23 PM
:eek: