PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Lighting

Seth
12-14-2002, 12:22 PM
Alright people -
I have been thinking about different places to get lighting besides normal hella, piaa, etc.
A long time ago I noticed some real cool lights when I was landing and looking out the window on a commercial jet. They have lights that are in the wing that seem extremely powerful, and they also move up and down. So I haev always thought about if you could go to an aviation salvage and pick them up and what not. Seems like it could be pretty trick, guess it all depends on how big they are, how much they are, what moves them, and the voltage.
Also, I have just been thinking in general if there are any other random places to get lights. I noticed the other day that trains have pretty serious lights, and tractors/construction equipment always seems to do the job well.
So does anyone else know of any sources for lights out there? Not anything I am doing, just thinking about it.
Seth

mudtoy67
12-14-2002, 12:52 PM
Tractors and dozers have pretty bright lights, but they're certainaly not the same quality that a hella or a KC would have. Most of the lights that I've seen are made with plastic housings which makes them not as strong, but does make them cheap.

Seth
12-14-2002, 06:25 PM
hmmmm wonder if there is anyway to do that -- it seems like you can go down in voltage pretty easy but i dont know what it would take to double it.
seth

BigRedFord04
12-15-2002, 01:48 AM
nix told me once about a guy he knew that had a pair of aircraft landing lights mounted on a roll bar in the bed of his truck. after a while it melted the paint off the roof.

BigRedFord04
12-15-2002, 01:49 AM
oh...and if you're thinkin' about really stepping up to 24 volts, keep in mind that my dual battery setup alone cost ~$400 w/ battery and $25 alternator upgrade. wouldnt be cheap.