PDA

View Full Version : Winches and winching

BroncoJo
11-08-2011, 08:46 PM
I've been tossing around the idea at buying a winch latley for the dodge and I stumbled upon this:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/special-deals.aspx?deal=1807

A 4,000 lbs smittybuilt for $120

I'm wondering if this might be something useful, as there are plenty of times I would like a portable winch to move things.

Pro:
-lightweight
-Cheap
-Maybe it doesn't use as much battery juice?

Cons:
-Cheap
-China
-Maybe not strong enough to do anything?

My major question is that: Could it pull a heavy, say 87 f350 with a blown tire, onto a trailer with a single normal car-battery for the supply?

AggieTJ2007
11-08-2011, 08:56 PM
I've been tossing around the idea at buying a winch latley for the dodge and I stumbled upon this:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/special-deals.aspx?deal=1807

A 4,000 lbs smittybuilt for $120

I'm wondering if this might be something useful, as there are plenty of times I would like a portable winch to move things.

Pro:
-lightweight
-Cheap
-Maybe it doesn't use as much battery juice?

Cons:
-Cheap
-China
-Maybe not strong enough to do anything?

My major question is that: Could it pull a heavy, say 87 f350 with a blown tire, onto a trailer with a single normal car-battery for the supply?

It should do what you want to do, if anything get a cheap snatch block

JB
11-08-2011, 09:05 PM
I think you will wish you had bought a decent size/good quality winch after trying to use that one a couple times.

MR.ZAP
11-09-2011, 12:24 AM
I think you will wish you had bought a decent size/good quality winch after trying to use that one a couple times.

This, minus the good quality part :haha:

colman
11-09-2011, 09:54 AM
if your looking for a cheap trailer winch i have a chicago electric 8k and it has been working for years and abused regularly to haul dead cars from fields onto my trailer for the scrap man and all kinds of other random things. i took half the cable off the spool 2 years ago and things only got better.... if you want one mounted on the truck .... get a good and big one rated for your weight.... 12k probably

KrazyKarl02
11-09-2011, 11:12 AM
if your looking for a cheap trailer winch that will break all the time and be ****ty i have a chicago electric 8k

I inserted my comments on that.

colman
11-09-2011, 11:54 AM
thats what i thought but you can ask tyler and corey who borrow my trailer all the time (and they abused it plenty). i have had that winch for almost 4 years and it gets used often and it is still kicking. I'm surprised, ive never warrantied it and its never broken. Its not real fast but it gets the job done and ive never had to use a snatch block... now remembering to keep my trailer battery charged is another thing.

BroncoJo
11-09-2011, 11:54 AM
the smittybuilt would not be for the dodge, mainly just a trailer portable trailer winch that could be easily adaptable to any trailer

colman
11-09-2011, 11:55 AM
that being said if your looking for one for the dodge to be mounted on the bumper then no get a warn or something like that but if your looking for a trailer winch, hf works good

JB
11-09-2011, 12:33 PM
my smittybuilt was rated for twice what you are looking at and it strained pulling tommys busted bronco onto my trailer.

85cj7
11-09-2011, 01:52 PM
I was just at harbor freight an hour ago and they had their 9k winch on sale for $220 for something like that until the 11th of this month. I thought about it for my trailer but just can't justify it right now when the jeep has a winch on it and that is the only rig I pull.

Sparling
11-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Chets ATV winch on his trailer had no problem pulling my truck onto the trailer, and my truck had no front suspension so it was dragging the whole way.

TdmayfieldIV
11-10-2011, 10:39 PM
That wasn't an atv winch