PDA

View Full Version : Colorado 2012

JB
07-21-2012, 06:35 PM
Who wants to go?

Looks like teh Schubrings and Tate are up there now, so I will have to talk to them once they get back.

I am going one way or the other first week of September. I am either going to take the F150 and do the same old stuff, or, I am entertaining the idea of hauling the Bronco up there and doing some of the popular trails like Holy Cross. Havent touched it since its K2 Comp victory, so it might need a little love.

I know some of us went 4 or so years ago and I think the major complaint was way to much loading and unloading of trailers. Tommy, is there an area that might have several good hardcore trails, that would have a good central camping location?

Shaggy
07-21-2012, 07:16 PM
We are in Durango tonight. Going to do some local stuff tonight and then meet the Busas, Schubrings and Higgs in Ouray tomorrow. We won't hit the trail until Monday I believe. I can share the trail list schedule that Scott has mapped out if your interested or just wait until we have hit them and give feedback.

TdmayfieldIV
07-21-2012, 09:36 PM
well before the fire, rampart range road was an awesome place to do that. It included eagle rock and a ton of other small trails. Not sure if it's open, probably not.

Rampart range road leads up to woodland park, which is about 20 miles from rainbow falls, not really hardcore but good for trail riding.

I can come up with a plan/trail guide, give me a day. I'm interested in going.

JB
07-22-2012, 12:47 AM
well before the fire, rampart range road was an awesome place to do that. It included eagle rock and a ton of other small trails. Not sure if it's open, probably not.

Rampart range road leads up to woodland park, which is about 20 miles from rainbow falls, not really hardcore but good for trail riding.

I can come up with a plan/trail guide, give me a day. I'm interested in going.

Thank Tommy.

I have been over most everything in SW Colo in the F150 multiple times, though not much in central, around Colorado SPrings. If bringing the Bronco, I would be looking for more of the fun stuff over trail riding.

redcagepatrol
07-30-2012, 12:22 PM
We got back yesterday, did mostly trail riding.
Monday - Alpine loop (Mineral Creek to Engineer Pass to Lake City. Lake city down Cinnamon Pass to California Gulch to Hurricane Pass to Corkscrew Gulch to 550 and back to Ouray.)
Tuesday - Ophir pass to Telluride, then Imogene Pass back over to Ouray
Wednesday we drove to Mt. Princeton Campground, stopped and ran Carnage Canyon (still a very hard trail, but we made it through with only minor damages)
Thursday - Hancock pass (CO 295) to Alpine Tunnel Road (FR 839) to Cumberland Pass trail (FR 765) to Tincup. From Tincup, took Tincup pass back to camp.

That was a bunch of scenic trail riding, nothing really hard (except Carnage of course), but they were all loops and we never had to do the same trail twice. I'm pretty sure we put more miles on the Jeep this trip than in all the other trips combined. Good stuff.

redcagepatrol
07-30-2012, 12:23 PM
side note - we stayed at the Mesa verde National Park on the way up there. That place is pretty cool, I recomend a visit.

Shaggy
07-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Good times. No damage on my side. Like Scott said we didn't do anything hard. I sat out of carnage canyon. Hiked with mason on my back.

Seth
07-31-2012, 12:43 AM
I was wondering how y'all made carnage without any issue :)

Shaggy
07-31-2012, 06:24 PM
Lots of winching.

JB
07-31-2012, 06:56 PM
Is it that difficult?

AggieTJ2007
07-31-2012, 08:01 PM
yeah carnage canyon is pretty hard, The trail itself is not very long but can require alot of winching. I don't think that DavidO or Coop had to winch that much when we ran it but I had to winch most everything.

Sharpe
07-31-2012, 08:13 PM
The Hippie flipped his **** on its side three times on it. Prety knarly trail but he did complete it with no carnage on 35's.

Seth
07-31-2012, 09:12 PM
Seemed like the exit was the toughest part, especially if you got on a bad line/hole. Of course, the mist didn't help any.

redcagepatrol
08-01-2012, 07:50 AM
carange is very very hard. Busa made it out the exit without winching though. Had to winch twice in Lynda's rig, once in the "V" notch area, and then at the exit.

bcolman
08-01-2012, 09:31 PM
the v notch is where i snapped one of my trans crossmembers, it was a sweet trail up to that point

redcagepatrol
08-02-2012, 03:41 PM
the v notch is where i snapped one of my trans crossmembers, it was a sweet trail up to that point
didn't you snap a transmission crossmember in Clayton one night and Lynda and I had to rescue you?

DRAGOONRANCH
08-02-2012, 10:44 PM
He was on #4 I think when it got cut up. :D

bcolman
08-03-2012, 12:22 AM
didn't you snap a transmission crossmember in Clayton one night and Lynda and I had to rescue you?

that was the first one that i snapped

colman
08-03-2012, 02:45 AM
and that last trans member is in my pile of random steel in the garage. maybe i should make brian a trophy along with his busted 30 spline stubs he is saving for a rainy day.

redcagepatrol
08-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Here are our 2012 Colorado Family trip photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/117440861243292012107/201207ColoradoFamilyWheelingTrip#

JB
09-09-2013, 12:47 PM
Ended up not going last year, but just got back from a 8 day trip with the Jeep

Truck started acting up once I hit the Colorado hills. Would reduce engine power on long uphill grades pulling the trailer at 70. The whole week prior, the filter housing was making some sick noises, so I assume it is related. Dropped it off at dealer Saturday. I do not think it will be a big deal. Restarting the motor would get me back power, so it was really just an inconvience. Wouldn't have happened if I had the LEGENDARY 7.3:flipoff2:

I stayed in Colorado SPrings the first night and ran Eagle Rock and another trail Friday. Did not get too far in with the tires aired up and the say bar attached. Aired down, took sway bar off, and it made everything much easier

Camped outside Leadville the next night and ran Holy Cross. Nice trail but nothing crazy. 3 real obstacles that I made without winching in an open TJ. Cleveland Rock is just past the Holy Cross City. We watched a buggy and a KOH WJ from Rockware climb it. Buggy with stickies walked it. WJ took about 30 minutes, but finally made it.

Also saw the K30 crawler that is for sale on Pirate out of Tanner 4WD.

Hiked the Maroon Bells outside of Aspen. Really pretty area.

My camping buddies bailed on me the last day, so I ended up running Chinamens Gulch and Carnage alone.

Chinamens is easy. Carnage is ridiuclous. I ran half of it, all the way to the "you better have your **** together past this point sign" If I had more daylight and someone to pull cable, I probably would have kept going. Damaged the rockers, and got some new scrapes on everything. The Jeep did very well all week. Really impressed me. Even handled 60-70 just fine, albeit slow. It is very different and kinda fun going back to wheeling an open rig. Just takes a little more thought

The trailer was NOT ready for this trip. All of the vibrations from the rough roads caused my ramp pins to strip out. The ramps fell 5 times throughout the trip. I got alot of people giving me funny looks. ON the way home, I guess the leaf bushings on the slider style springs disappeared. This made it ride like crap. It also caused one of the axles to move side to side, which cut grooves in two tires. Finally blew one in Austin. Took the other side off as well and moved the Jeep all the way forward for the last 100 miles. So I need 4 springs, really 4 tires, and to rework my ramps.

Good trip, lots of driving

JB
09-10-2013, 04:09 PM
So 5000 miles ago when I changed the fuel filter, I apparently didn't seat the o ring back in properly. This caused it to suck air. Obviously, me being a dumbass is not covered under warranty, so $300 later, I can pick it up tomorrow.

Sparling
09-10-2013, 04:30 PM
How does a hole in a pressurized system suck air?

Shaggy
09-10-2013, 04:36 PM
I was wondering the same thing... if the dodge one isn't sealed properly it will never start. Possibly a failed o-ring?

JB
09-10-2013, 07:26 PM
Magic bro

DRAGOONRANCH
09-10-2013, 07:33 PM
A liquid system that doesn't leak is not necessarily air tight. Under a load there may be a 'vacuum' through the filter (injector pump pulling more than the filter will let through or more than the lift pump is pushing) and be pulling the air in. We have run into that a few times on equipment here lately. Pretty much pinholes in low pressure fuel lines or cracked plastic water bowls were letting the air in but not letting the fuel out.

Sparling
09-10-2013, 08:38 PM
I can understand that on older equipment but post post lift pump section of that system on jb's truck should maintain a solid 60 psi or something around there. Low pressure on the inlet side of a hpfp is terrible and will kill the pump pretty fast. Not to mention any air in the system at all will make the truck run like crap or most likely not at all. Those injectors can't handle air like a mechanical diesel or a legendary 7.3 can. :flipoff2:

AggieTJ2007
09-10-2013, 08:47 PM
venturi effect pulls air into the system as the fuel flows past the hole.

Sparling
09-10-2013, 09:12 PM
Go stab your garden hose and tell me about your Venturi effect. :flipoff2:

I don't think conditions are right but I would have to see how the two parts come together. It just seems like 60 psi would overcome that.

DRAGOONRANCH
09-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Think of it more as a check valve than an actual hole. Pressure one way with a liquid seals it, lack of pressure the other will let the air flow.

Trust me, that **** is hard to track down. And it's been on some '04 and newer equipment.

BroncoJo
09-10-2013, 09:35 PM
Go stab your garden hose and tell me about your Venturi effect. :flipoff2:

I don't think conditions are right but I would have to see how the two parts come together. It just seems like 60 psi would overcome that.

Slight :laughing: