PDA

View Full Version : Anyone being productive?

BigRedFord04
12-25-2002, 07:47 PM
Whats everyone done over the break?

I replaced all my rear brake hardware (springs, etc), replaced a front u-joint that had lost a cap and am in the process of repacking the wheel bearings, just in case.

I've decided finally that i'm not using the right parts, or putting them together correctly, or something b.c. the inner seal one both sides was completely destroyed. When y'all put your hubs/rotors on, do you use a seal actually on the spindle inside the inner bearing seal that is pressed into the hub?? Anyone know the p/n for the seals on a D44?? i use the national 4290(?) pressed into the inside of the hub, is there supposed to be another one? the one i've been using is whats getting torn up. thx.

robertf03
12-25-2002, 07:55 PM
got a clutch for the cj for Christmas and found out the t5 pilot bushing is perfect for the sm420 so I can install it now rather than order one from novak. who knows, maybe I'll get crazy and throw in some garage floor 3.55's, grab a junkyard driveshaft and cut it down, and run it in 2wd for a while :D

Ben97XJ
12-26-2002, 02:20 AM
I am building a rear bumper and tire carrier. 2x4 square tubing 3/16 thick.
Beefy! I also forgot how much fun welding is!

eight
12-26-2002, 11:34 PM
Just some little things. Put 4.5" exhaust on one powerstroke and straight 3.5" on another. Got my brother to take the lift shackles off his wrangler. Fixed the bed of my dodge. Finally reinforced the doorwell on my jeep and trying to install an antenna. My clutch should be ready tomorrow so I'll be sticking that in. Then I think I'll build a cage. Going to look at a waggy. And now my little brother thinks he broke a ring gear in the 30 in his cj7. I might be out in the llano way tomorrow. I'll see if I can get a jeep out there. I'll tell yall if I'll go there.

And I went white bass fishing at night under the 99 river bridge in whitset on the night of the big storm. Life jackets went on after one flew away, we all lost our beers, one of our ropes broke, and we all got soaked. Winds were estimated about 70 mph. At least it didn't hail on us. We didn't catch any fish but I had a bite.

redcagepatrol
12-27-2002, 08:14 AM
underside of dash is done and face of dash is awaiting hole saws for completion on the Patrol...

Tariqui
12-27-2002, 11:10 AM
im trying to get my TBI in and permanent its only duct taped in at the moment and the bumper is coming off soon to make way for a new one that i need to start making. if someone is looking for a waggy i have one for sale!!

CRaSHnBuRN
12-27-2002, 05:31 PM
I put on my new rear bumper, and installed Busa's old tire carrier on my truck. I also cleaned up the inside, reworked some wiring, and rattle canned all the body damage and rust spots. I was hoping to get my rear axle rotated, but haven't had the time, and my front driveshaft still isn't done.

CRaSHnBuRN
12-27-2002, 05:34 PM
Oh yeah, its probally a good thing you didn't come check out those axles that saturday, eight. Lets just say we were a little messed up that day after you called us (maybe thats why my bumper mounts look like **** :(

Cody_91YJ
12-28-2002, 10:13 PM
I installed new bearings in the 8.8, the pinon bearing started wearing out before I left, but got so bad after the trip home, the other bearings started to wear. Still have to replace my clutch and the 3rd gear synchro, but should be back up and running before the week is out hopefully

eight
12-29-2002, 07:10 PM
Today I found a 86 F-350 crew cab single wheels with a d60, sterling 10.25, 4.10 gears, np435, whatever that aluminum t-case is, and a 460. And also a K20 with a 10 bolt, semi float 14 bolt, 4.10 gears, an auto, and a 350. They are both junked out on a guys farm along with lots of other fun stuff. I'll have to talk to the owner tomorrow.

robertf03
12-29-2002, 07:13 PM
I was productive today

:flipoff2:

http://home.off-road.com/~cj5/pics/project/sm420/PC290177.JPG

BlackDog
12-29-2002, 07:37 PM
New bumpers built today, new grill being finished up, new starter over christmas, hopefully this next week a new water pump that i will have to replace in buffalo as that is where my truck sits, and hopefully clean up the wiring on the inside of my truck

Krawler68
12-30-2002, 03:51 PM
I'll buy the 86 F-350 if it's really a D60...where is it?

Doug

eight
01-01-2003, 03:37 PM
That truck is not actually "For Sale". I just noticed it had been missing from the owner's house for a while. I called his house and got his son who said he is in the nursing home. He also said that the truck needed brakes and it was on his farm and I could go look at it but was not sure if his dad would sell it. I had bid $1500 on the truck at a bank auction a few years ago and he bought it for $2200. The truck may be cheap enought that I will buy it, or it may be high and maybe you can buy it, or it will probably sit and rot forever along with the K20, some more chevys, an f-250 with an efi 351, and all his tractors, combines, plows, dozer, a 6x6, and other stuff.

For more progress, my jeep is driving again, and the cj7 has a broken ring gear in the 30.

BigRedFord04
01-04-2003, 07:13 PM
last week i got to make a late nite trip to VatoZone to replace my tensioner pulley b.c. the bearing froze up. along w/ that it melted my belt to the idler pulley so i had to replace both of those too. $50 i didnt want to spend. but once again i DID have to find my own parts though!! autozone hires nothing but retards, i think its a prerequisite. computer didnt show anything so i asked to look thru their bins...i think i pulled 4 boxes before i found ones that matched mine exactly.

bigFAWKINranger
01-04-2003, 09:50 PM
aside from the manual shift transfer case, i replaced my first and third O2 sensors, got my spare tire AND mounted it to a rim, ditched the 102" whip for a 60", cd player installed, and after a LOT of work, i got the boot put on the t case shift lever....

eight
01-04-2003, 10:47 PM
I now have a rear locker. EZ-Arc 7018.

And I built a little trailer.

BMFScout
01-05-2003, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by BigRedFord04
last week i got to make a late nite trip to VatoZone to replace my tensioner pulley b.c. the bearing froze up. along w/ that it melted my belt to the idler pulley so i had to replace both of those too. $50 i didnt want to spend. but once again i DID have to find my own parts though!! autozone hires nothing but retards, i think its a prerequisite. computer didnt show anything so i asked to look thru their bins...i think i pulled 4 boxes before i found ones that matched mine exactly.

Fred doesn't even bother with asking anyone behind the counter, he just finds an open terminal and looks up what he needs. By the time he gets the may I help you riff, he knows what he needs and asks them to go pull it... vatozone...

bigFAWKINranger
01-05-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by BMFScout

Fred doesn't even bother with asking anyone behind the counter, he just finds an open terminal and looks up what he needs. By the time he gets the may I help you riff, he knows what he needs and asks them to go pull it... vatozone...

yeah thats the second time i watched austin pull his own parts at 2 different Vatozones.... and i've had to go dig through the hardware bins more than once when the fukkin morons at my store have been to busy cuttin up to help me. they were ALL outside shootin the **** at around 8pm... regular business hours and they straight up told me "no we don't have screws that would fit that." took me 15 seconds to find one.

eight
01-07-2003, 05:05 PM
On Sunday I did a little wheeling in the creek behind my house and broke my transmission case. Snapped the mount right off of it. I'll put a picture later. I kind of put it back together and it might work. We dropped off the cj7 for new gears. It will be for sale soon. Then the wheel bearing went out in my brother's bronco so I'll be fixing that today.

Cajun
01-08-2003, 12:57 PM
I spent most of my vacation working on the shop instead of the things in the shop, like the fridge:

Cajun
01-08-2003, 01:00 PM
...and new air compressor (7hp oiled, 60 gal. tank, 135 max psi.), a lean-to outside the shop for it, and 50' of 3/8" airhose.

Cajun
01-08-2003, 01:02 PM
...built a fat-boy friendly shop seat...

Cajun
01-08-2003, 01:03 PM
Took the front clip off the Scout body and sent it along with the 203, 205, and C6 off to get blasted.

AgDieseler
01-08-2003, 01:06 PM
Is that a leaf sprung rocking chair? Very nice.

Cajun
01-08-2003, 01:08 PM
Not pictured are the ghetto galvanized steel dry erase board, bulletin board, and stereo we rigged up. Also, I took the 14 bolt apart and cleaned it up in preparation for shaving, and plated the front end of the Scout frame for its shackle reversal. While my brother-in-law and myself were running the PVC for the air line, Matso found time to "kustomize" his hood...

Cajun
01-08-2003, 01:10 PM
Actually, it's a leaf sprung Scout bench rocking chair, and thanks for the compliment :D

Cajun
01-08-2003, 01:43 PM
Another one of my toys, a gas-powered 300 amp Lincoln pipeliner. I figure that this machine has at least 15 years on me, but it works great.

StevenAg03
01-08-2003, 02:05 PM
Finally got the 4.56's in the 9"....it rn great pulling the trailer intil the carrier bearing failed and the driveshaft went slinging around under the truck. $40 and 3 miles of walking later, i got the driveshaft back in the truck and ready to continue on......

robertf03
01-08-2003, 02:37 PM
towing the trailer? did you take your cj back down to CS?

Andy, I've heard some old Lincoln and Miller gas powered welders use the old willys f-head or l-head. can't remember which one. Do you know if thats one of them?

Cajun
01-08-2003, 02:41 PM
I have no idea, Robert.

BigRedFord04
01-08-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by robertf03
Andy, I've heard some old Lincoln and Miller gas powered welders use the old willys f-head or l-head. can't remember which one. Do you know if thats one of them?
You know way too much about J**P crap Robert.

And Andy, I like the irony of the flames on the fridge, hope it keeps everything inside nice cool. the ":flipoff2:" in the corner is nice too.

That hood is awesome :D I want one.

BigRedFord04
01-08-2003, 08:24 PM
On my trip to Dallas last week I noticed a small oil leak that was getting pretty annoying b.c. it was dripping onto the exhaust before it hit the ground and making that wonderful smell. Did a little searching and found the culprit to be a cracked oil pressure sending unit. Had to buy a 1 1/16" deep socket to take it off but overall only cost ~$10 @ Ho'reillys.

eight
01-09-2003, 12:10 AM
Here's the pics of my little transmission.

BigRedFord04
01-09-2003, 12:16 AM
damn negro...broke dat bitch good huh? i think the problem is that your front diff is on the wrong side :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

After dinner tonite i worked on rewiring my fan and battery isolator switches. I found and traced the wire for an unused fuse from the fuse box and will finish wiring it all into a power distribution block tomorrow. Then i can put my switches back in the holes in the dash where they belong.

robertf03
01-09-2003, 03:27 AM
well you were running a 4 cyl sr4 behind a 6 right? what did you expect.

Time for some old iron discontinued parts swap

eight
01-09-2003, 08:57 AM
It is a T4 and the only difference between it and the 6 cylinder version is the size of the input shaft. But there is now some iron on that aluminum bitch.