PDA

View Full Version : TLC Time

jasonjuch
03-08-2013, 05:56 PM
I plan on making the toyota streetable so I can drive it and not just leave it sitting in the yard all year since I don't have much time to wheel.. So far it needs;

title and registration
correct turn signals
permanent brake lights, right now they're just towing lights
front bumper
maybe paint to stop the rust
speedometer

Help: I know I can do some research but wanted some suggestions from yall with actual experience. I'm running 37" hummer tires and still have stock axle gears. The transfer case has low range gears. What axle gearing should I look into? Also has anyone been harassed by cops for running forklift tanks?

right now

inspiration

jasonjuch
03-08-2013, 06:14 PM
looks like I should use 5.29 gears?

robertf03
03-08-2013, 07:09 PM
I'm running around a 5:1 ratio with 35s (4.10 x 1.22 high range) and it works well

5/35*37=5.29 so I think you are good. It'll need overdrive with that gearing on the highway.

DRAGOONRANCH
03-09-2013, 12:51 PM
You shouldn't have any problems with the forklift tanks. Ive never heard of any issues, but if you could 'hide' them it might be a little better. I wouldn't work about making the lights permanent, just make them removable. Im going to mount mine on a receiver hitch tube and just unplug them for riding on the trails.

Sharpe
03-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Tail lights: flush mount LEDs. Shouldnt have any issues with trail damage.

jasonjuch
03-18-2013, 05:36 PM
finally got it titled, should have done that a long time ago. I'm going to leave the axle gears alone for now and try them out as they are. Next plan is to bend a roll bar and some pieces that go to the rear of the frame then build a bed with toolbox and two propane tank mounts hidden between the side toolboxes.