PDA

View Full Version : Death Wobble Thread

MR.ZAP
03-17-2013, 10:15 PM
Figured I would start this bad boy up since it seems to be so prevalent. I am 99% sure that this is from poor alignment and the fact that my steering stabilizer/damper is shot to hell, but I am getting death wobble. :angry: At low speed it happens when I hit a pothole or whatever. But at higher speeds, including highway speed, the only way to set it off is if the steering wheel is just in the right position, slightly turned to the right. I drove 70+ all the way home today and it never acted up unless the wheel was in that exact spot. Anyways, my plans are to replace the stabilizer and get an alignment. Anybody know of a shop that has a rack that goes over the tires instead of between the tire and the wheel?

Shaggy
03-17-2013, 11:07 PM
How tight are your Tie rod ends? My truck is only 2.5 years old and I had to replace all of the steering a few months ago because if violent death wobble. I still get a small amount from time to time but I need new tires and shocks crazy bad.

Sparling
03-17-2013, 11:08 PM
a steering stabilizer only masks it.

have you recently let anybody drill out your track bar mount with a step bit?

Cardoc has a rack.

Shaggy
03-17-2013, 11:23 PM
I did a lift on a TJ a few weeks ago and in less than 20 miles the track bar relocation bolt hole wallowed out. I just welded the bolt into place and it killed the death wobble. So that is possible if you have done that mod. Mine never had an issue with that but I only had one run on it before I got rid of those axles.

MR.ZAP
03-17-2013, 11:25 PM
Haven't messed with the tie rod ends or the trac bar mounts at all, and I re-used the factory mounts. I guess I could try tightening up the tie rod ends. I know that the stabilizer covers up the problem, which explains why I have burnt through so many as of late. That's why I think it is the alignment rather than the steering components because my alignment has been off for a long time. Also, I usually get my stabilizer replaced soon after it starts leaking, but it has been leaking for a good while now. That explains why I never fully experienced the issue before. Tommy said awhile back that Cardoc's was one that went between the tire and wheel?

Hellbent
03-17-2013, 11:33 PM
I did a lift on a TJ a few weeks ago and in less than 20 miles the track bar relocation bolt hole wallowed out. I just welded the bolt into place and it killed the death wobble. So that is possible if you have done that mod. Mine never had an issue with that but I only had one run on it before I got rid of those axles.

I am sorry for whoevers jeep you did this too... Cause it's obvious you're the best welder around...

Sparling
03-17-2013, 11:34 PM
and how is over the tire better? then you're dealing with tire inconsistency and trying to do an alighnment. I've aligned plenty of vehicles there. it works fine.

Shaggy
03-18-2013, 12:01 AM
Have you taken a tape measure to it yet to see if the alignment is really that off

MR.ZAP
03-18-2013, 08:30 AM
I know it's that off because I bent up my tie rod, my expensive, chromoly, aftermarket tie rod, a good while ago. That was extremely frustrating. I was too damn lazy to go get an alignment done. And Sparling, the dude at NTB (not saying that they have any credibility, but just saying) told me that it would mess up my wheels. Now, I have jacked them up pretty good myself, so it isn't that big of a deal, but I would rather not intentionally tear them up.

Also, I got my wheels balanced on Saturday to see if that would help. It helped a bit, but obviously it is still an issue.

AggieTJ2007
03-18-2013, 03:10 PM
I know it's that off because I bent up my tie rod, my expensive, chromoly, aftermarket tie rod,

Was it a Solid Currie Tie Rod? Those things are junk mine bent very easily.

MR.ZAP
03-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Was it a Solid Currie Tie Rod? Those things are junk mine bent very easily.

Yes!!!!!! I thought Currie made quality stuff, bent up on my first damn off-road trip! In fact, I passed up on the Poly Performance one, or Synergy as they are now called because I figured Currie made more better products. My girlfriend's dad offered to order me a stock one wholesale, which is exactly what I should have done.

AggieTJ2007
03-18-2013, 05:26 PM
It is not that it is a bad product but that a solid forged tie rod is not nearly as resilient as a piece of heavy wall DOM tubing.

I would do the following

Buy new tie rod
Straiten Currie Tie rod
Paint Tie rod
Sell
Profit

Sparling
03-18-2013, 05:36 PM
I have some 1.5"x.25 wall DOM if you need to buy some

MR.ZAP
03-18-2013, 09:07 PM
It is not that it is a bad product but that a solid forged tie rod is not nearly as resilient as a piece of heavy wall DOM tubing.

I would do the following

Buy new tie rod
Straiten Currie Tie rod
Paint Tie rod
Sell
Profit

Haha can I just sleeve it like Sparling seems to want me to do???

robertf03
03-18-2013, 09:23 PM

maybe by weight, but if the OD is bigger on the solid bar then it is stronger. That middle part doesn't do much for strength

sounds like a bushing to me. You have backlash and there is no force on the axle to pre load it when you are turning at just that spot.

MR.ZAP
03-18-2013, 09:54 PM
sounds like a bushing to me. You have backlash and there is no force on the axle to pre load it when you are turning at just that spot.

I have no clue which bushing, though. Everything seemed taught to me when I checked.

robertf03
03-18-2013, 10:22 PM
how did you check? have someone jiggle the wheel while you look.

MR.ZAP
03-18-2013, 11:09 PM
Good idea, I will check it out soon.

Sparling
03-19-2013, 12:51 AM
Everything will seem tight to you with the weight of the vehicle on it. Do what flem said and if you still can't find anything go to town on the front end with a pry bar while it's on jack stand on the frame with no weight on the axle.

TdmayfieldIV
03-19-2013, 01:20 AM
Haha can I just sleeve it like Sparling seems to want me to do???

Unless your tie rod is 1" diameter you can't do that.

He's saying to make a new one out of it.

MR.ZAP
03-19-2013, 07:56 AM
Everything will seem tight to you with the weight of the vehicle on it. Do what flem said and if you still can't find anything go to town on the front end with a pry bar while it's on jack stand on the frame with no weight on the axle.

Which components should I be paying more attention to?

sam_hodnett
03-19-2013, 08:18 AM
have you recently let anybody drill out your track bar mount with a step bit?

:laughing:

Sparling
03-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Which components should I be paying more attention to?

I'd check steering parts first but I'd make sure to also check the track bar mount and the control arms. If your tie rods are done you should notice on the ground. Also look at your ball joints and check your wheel bearings while you're at it.

MR.ZAP
03-19-2013, 12:44 PM
Everything looks and feels super tight, but I'm gonna tighten up all of mt steering components before I write them all off. I wouldn't be surprised if this was just a combination of a bunch of little things that are all adding up.

zebvance
03-19-2013, 01:08 PM
I have seen a couple of times the death wobble in some tj's and xj's were cause by ball joints that were shot.

MR.ZAP
03-19-2013, 02:29 PM
Passenger side trac bar mount hole is either a. wallowed out, or b. hardware's not tight enough, but that is definitely the problem.

Oh yeah... That hole is definitely wallowed out. Do I order a new bracket or go ghetto and weld some washers up on that bad boy??? The only issue with washers is that the backside will be quite difficult to get to.

AggieTJ2007
03-19-2013, 03:00 PM
You could also weld up the hole and re drill it if you though you could get it strait and round.

I would use some of these fix it weld washers from ruff stuff,

You drill the hole larger then weld in a machined washer

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/FIXIT.html

Do you currently have a reloaction bracket?

You could install one like this but I would weld it in place instead of bolting it for obvious reasons.

http://www.extremeterrain.com/rough-country-front-track-bar-jk-1118.html?utm_content=simplefeed&utm_campaign=46404507126-avshop&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=&adpos=1o4&network=g&XTID=J12404&adtype=pla

Or the Performance bracket is pretty nice

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Synergy-Suspension-Jeep-JK-HD-Weld-On-Front-Track-Bar-Bracket-2.5-Axle-Tube-p-25185.html

colman
03-19-2013, 04:17 PM
also ive had a few of those that had worn rear control arm bushings.

MR.ZAP
03-19-2013, 04:24 PM
Will the Rough Country one fit my JKS trac bar? I don't see why it wouldn't, but I would be extra pissed if it didn't.

AggieTJ2007
03-19-2013, 05:36 PM
i don't know but the JKS one definetly should

http://www.extremeterrain.com/jks-front-trackbar-skid-jk-ogs161.html?utm_content=simplefeed&utm_campaign=46404506406-avshop&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=&adpos=1o4&network=g&XTID=J18289&adtype=pla

MR.ZAP
03-19-2013, 05:47 PM
Haha yes, it should!

Update: Torqued the ever-living, ever-loving, compound, etc. hell out of that side (not literally, I just wanted to say that). Tightened it up pretty damn good and DW is gone, but the hole is obviously still in need of repair.

MR.ZAP
03-20-2013, 04:26 PM
What's a good shop to give my business to? The pops doesn't want me messing with it haha

Seth
03-20-2013, 07:02 PM
Chop's maybe.

MR.ZAP
03-21-2013, 11:12 PM
No other decent shops? If I had the time I would take it back home but ain't nobody got time fo dat!

Seth
03-22-2013, 07:10 PM
the guys across from the mall.

stratta auto repair on college near villa maria, used to work with the guy, JP, the younger one, tell him I sent you

MR.ZAP
03-22-2013, 07:53 PM
I'm game for whatever place, I just want to make sure they do a good job! Stratta then?

Sharpe
03-23-2013, 09:13 AM
JP knows his ****. Highly recommend.

MR.ZAP
03-23-2013, 02:08 PM
Sweet, I'm gonna take it there then. Thanks guys!

DRAGOONRANCH
08-28-2013, 07:31 PM
97 TJ. Steering box shaft has a slight amount of play side to side when moving the steering wheel back and forth. The rest of the steering seems to be tight. Only wobbles at speed (~70) when you hit a bump. Drives nice and smooth the rest of the time. Replace steering box or is there another/better 'fix'?

FYI, Jeep is my niece's and she is driving her 1yo around in it and we want to get it straightened out before there is an issue.

I'll hang up and listen now....

jasonjuch
08-28-2013, 09:34 PM
My GF's JK was doing the wobble only when hitting bumps on the highway, turns out the steering stabilizer was all dented up from hitting something so replaced it and it's fixed.

Sparling
08-28-2013, 10:27 PM
It's masked not fixed.

robertf03
08-28-2013, 10:28 PM
I'd still check out the track bar. The damper will make it stop, but the problem is still lingering.