PDA

View Full Version : "Sh!t" on my paint

BigRedFord04
04-18-2002, 12:05 PM
I know not very many people in this club care about the paint on their rigs, or whether it even has paint for that matter, but I'm kinda proud of how shiny my truck gets when its clean. After Llano I washed it for the 1st time in like 6 months and found that I have little white spots all over the sides, especially behind the tires. I took it to the only car wash here in town (behind Advance on Harvey) and they said it's probably road striping from all the construction on campus and that they wanted $150 to get it all off. Can anyone suggest anything besides this to try and get it off? Its stuck pretty good and wouldnt come off w/ just regular polish even w/ some pretty severe scrubbing.

Rex
04-18-2002, 12:09 PM
If you are careful you can use some wd-40, I use it all the time to get rid of tar and stuff like that on paint. :)

agshooter
04-18-2002, 12:23 PM
I know advance and all the other part stores sell crap to get rid of bug guts and **** like that, I don't see why they wouldn't sell stuff for road grime either. (you may use bugoff or whatever that crap is as a substitute if you can't find anyrhitng else)

AgDieseler
04-18-2002, 12:26 PM
John Simonetti woke up one morning to find lime all over his truck. It had blown over from a nearby construction site. He ended up using a sand bar tool to remove all the lime from the paint. It even took out most of the pinstriping from Gilmer. He's got all kinds of paint care products. Talk to him.

davido
04-18-2002, 01:57 PM
Yes, the clay sticks work wonders. Scott used one on my 4Runner after it got overspray all over it. It woked like a champ. Now the poly liner that oversprayed on the wheels, that was a whole different story. Not effective on that. I'm not sure where you buy them, try calling Napa. If they don't have it, I be they'll know where to get it.

JB
04-18-2002, 03:46 PM
Are the spots kinda like water spots? After I went to Crosby one time down in H-town, I had mud stains all over. I had it wet sanded but it only took the paint off, thus I had it repainted(blue section). Over time the spots on the white portion faded away. I would definetly try the clay bar thing first. The price the carwash quoted you seems high. After some TKE ****ers wrote on my truck w/ marker, they charged me $50 to get it all out. The did a pretty good job too.

BigRedFord04
04-18-2002, 04:10 PM
They tried the clay bar...white knuckle scrubbed one little spot for about 2 mins before it even started to come up...

Are the spots kinda like water spots?

Not quite...its definately sh!t off the road, just small little specks...ALL over

8Runner
04-19-2002, 03:46 PM
Go see Ricki at Oreilly's on university. He will come out & take a look at what it is then reccomend something. Tell him you are a freind of mine from the off-road club & pay cash, he will hook you up.

Krawler68
04-19-2002, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by 8Runner
Go see Ricki at Oreilly's on university. He will come out & take a look at what it is then reccomend something. Tell him you are a freind of mine from the off-road club & pay cash, he will hook you up.

NEVER tell anyone you're a friend of Chris Scotti's!!!! you'll end up witha sore *** and an empty wallet. :D :D He did get me a good hookup on a water pump installer once...he put it in on a Sunday...but forgot to reattach the clamp for the lower radiator hose... that was fun to replace after it had blown off at 80 MPH.

***... Chris may know what he's talking about...sometimes he actually does...
:D :D

8Runner
04-19-2002, 06:58 PM
I think Andy did that because you kept hitting on him and his mechanics. I know you like greasy men doug.

Krawler68
04-20-2002, 04:34 AM
***...alll fawkups aside he's a pretty good mechanic.

bigFAWKINranger
04-21-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by BigRedFord04
They tried the clay bar...white knuckle scrubbed one little spot for about 2 mins before it even started to come up...

Not quite...its definately sh!t off the road, just small little specks...ALL over

i got the same ****... but its not bothering me... the color red ain't long in the future for my truck anyway.... hellooooo maaco.

bigFAWKINranger
04-21-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by 8Runner
I think Andy did that because you kept hitting on him and his mechanics. I know you like greasy men doug.

this explains a lot.